PDA

View Full Version : Pretty hard to win when....

Walton Buys Off Me
03-07-2006, 11:49 PM
Your opponent is awarded 19 free throws to your 3 and your best player gets whistled for 3 fouls in 12 minutes.

If I was a Mavs fan, I'd have gone through eight tampons already.

Seriously though, if this isn't contrived, please tell me what is. I can just see the casual fan saying "this basketball thing you watch, it's like wrestling right"?

Manu gets raped going to the basket and the ensuing possession sees Kaman go to the line because Oberto fouled him thirty feet from the basket.

Stern will never learn that the glaring weakness in the game of basketball isn't the Allen Iverson-type guy with the doo-rag and the bling, it's the WWE type officiating that makes this game about as believable as the Iraqi Information Minister (remember him?)

T Park
03-07-2006, 11:55 PM
Very true.

Officiating in today's game is beyond pathetic, and needs fixing.

Buddy Holly
03-07-2006, 11:57 PM
We probably would have ended up with 1 freethrow had Nazr not been aggrssive on that one play.

sanman53
03-08-2006, 12:14 AM
yeah, 19-4 Freethrows (mid of 3rd) is odd for any game! I bet Holt is already writing in his daily blog about the officiating and getting ready to file a complaint.

Trainwreck2100
03-08-2006, 12:18 AM
I like how one player (the best one) has half the fouls of the entire other team

Walton Buys Off Me
03-08-2006, 12:19 AM
yeah, 19-4 Freethrows (mid of 3rd) is odd for any game! I bet Holt is already writing in his daily blog about the officiating and getting ready to file a complaint.

Nah, Holt isn't gay.

Trainwreck2100
03-08-2006, 12:27 AM
Four fouls on the Clips to start the fourth, the normal evening of the stat sheet commences with the game already out of hand, by the end of the game the Spurs will have 3 more fouls than the Clips.

SequSpur
03-08-2006, 12:29 AM
duncan has no business bringing the ball up the court.

FromWayDowntown
03-08-2006, 12:29 AM

Cuban would no doubt have a field day if the Mavericks ever faced this sort of thing.

Of course, though, the Mavericks don't ever face this sort of thing.

That said, the Clippers earned that victory and shouldn't have any credit taken from them. They were the better team tonight.

Winnipeg_Spur
03-08-2006, 01:11 AM
Watching the Clipper broadcast, they kept talking about about Cassell's injured hand, but the hilarious thing was that he hurt it on defence by smacking Ginobili on the fucking arm, while he had the ball, and there was no whistle. It's like if you can't get the calls, karma will take of it. :)

Trainwreck2100
03-08-2006, 01:14 AM
Four fouls on the Clips to start the fourth, the normal evening of the stat sheet commences with the game already out of hand, by the end of the game the Spurs will have 3 more fouls than the Clips.

Spurs 22 fouls
Clips 18 fouls

I was so close

FreshPrince22
03-08-2006, 01:15 AM
"pretty hard to win when".... you get outplayed?

Buddy Holly
03-08-2006, 01:16 AM
"pretty hard to win when".... you get outplayed?

I'm sorry, did all the Pistons forums fold up?

Not enough interest I see.

Not surprised, they're the Pistons. :lol

FreshPrince22
03-08-2006, 01:18 AM
I'm sorry, did all the Pistons forums fold up?

Not enough interest I see.

Not surprised, they're the Pistons. :lol

:huh

Yea, because the Pistons have a history of folding. :rolleyes

Trainwreck2100
03-08-2006, 01:20 AM

Yea, because the Pistons have a history of folding.
\forums not team

Buddy Holly
03-08-2006, 01:24 AM

Yea, because the Pistons have a history of folding. :rolleyes

No, their coach does. :lol :lol

Dude, GTFO.

But I guess you can't. Do the Pistons even have a fan owned forum?

BigZak
03-08-2006, 01:25 AM
what is this whiny bullshit about the calls. take the loss like men damnit.

Good job clips.

Phoenix will fall. No doubt.

FreshPrince22
03-08-2006, 01:26 AM
No, their coach does. :lol :lol

Dude, GTFO.

But I guess you can't. Do the Pistons even have a fan owned forum?

No good ones. A few newish ones, but nothing nearly as active as SpursTalk.

Xylus
03-08-2006, 01:46 AM
The Clips outrebounded the Spurs by 12, and shot 52% compared to the Spurs' 44%. This has nothing to do with officiating, the Clippers simply played a better game tonight. Lay the blame where it belongs--on the team.

Trainwreck2100
03-08-2006, 01:48 AM
The Clips outrebounded the Spurs by 12, and shot 52% compared to the Spurs' 44%. This has nothing to do with officiating, the Clippers simply played a better game tonight. Lay the blame where it belongs--on the team.

Tim goes out a minute later the Clips make their run, the FT disparity kept the Clips close in the first half. The Spurs did play like shit, but the refs were far from good.

Xylus
03-08-2006, 01:52 AM
Tim goes out a minute later the Clips make their run, the FT disparity kept the Clips close in the first half. The Spurs did play like shit, but the refs were far from good.

I wouldn't deny that the refs were bad--they're bad pretty frequently. But blaming the refs in a lopsided loss like this seems misguided. Now, if the game came down to a 5-point difference, then you have a case there.

Trainwreck2100
03-08-2006, 02:00 AM
I wouldn't deny that the refs were bad--they're bad pretty frequently. But blaming the refs in a lopsided loss like this seems misguided. Now, if the game came down to a 5-point difference, then you have a case there.

It wasn't lopsided when this was posted, as I stated before it would have been lopsided if the refs swallowed their whistles

Winnipeg_Spur
03-08-2006, 02:01 AM
Spurs got outplayed by the Clippers, no question they deserved this loss.

That being said, I'd sure love an explanation for how, late in the 4th, the refs didn't know the Spurs were in the penalty when they fouled Brand. The Clips inbounded the ball, and Livingston scored a layup and got fouled. Then, they finally realized the situation and so they took away the layup, put some time back on the clock, and had Brand shoot two free throws. Is this really the way they're supposed to deal with a mistake like that? What if Livingston hadn't been fouled and they didn't realize their mistake until later? I know that this sequence ended up benefitting the Spurs, but I thought it was bizarre...

phyzik
03-08-2006, 03:05 AM
we lost.... bottom line. STFU. You guys are sounding like Mav1000.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-08-2006, 03:09 AM
Sorry, I don't see it.

The Clips just outplayed us. They reminded me a bit of the Blazers with Pippen and Augmon and other long lengthy defenders that gave Timmy fits.

DMFFL341
03-08-2006, 03:22 AM
BUAHAHAHA!! What the fuck is this? You guys fucking bash us for being "whiney babies" and then come up 2 minutes after a loss and whine about how the Spurs didn't get enough calls. Whoever made this thread just made all the Spurs fans look like fucking douchebags, same goes for whoever agreed with him. :stfu :owned

timvp
03-08-2006, 03:23 AM
BUAHAHAHA!! What the fuck is this? You guys fucking bash us for being "whiney babies" and then come up 2 minutes after a loss and whine about how the Spurs didn't get enough calls. Whoever made this thread just made all the Spurs fans look like fucking douchebags, same goes for whoever agreed with him. :stfu :owned

Let us know when the Mavs win something.

Anything.

milkyway21
03-08-2006, 03:29 AM
... :stfu :owned

i just want to remind some mavsfans that those who can't sweep the Spurs or just beat them 3-1 have NO RIGHT to post signs like this one-> :owned.

Get real!

:lol

SilverPlayer
03-08-2006, 03:51 AM
Clippers had lost two in a row...They hadn't beaten the Spurs in years, and were due. That's all I can take from this game...

I wish Spurs fans were above whining about the refs, and realize the spurs when they play to their potential they don't let the refs take a game from them. Either they let the refs take them out of the game or the Clippers, that's gonna lead to a loss 9 times out of 10. It's on the spurs to play their game, and tonight they didn't.

aaronstampler
03-08-2006, 04:04 AM
We've gotten more than our share of the calls most of the season, so I can live with a game every now and then when we don't. Ideally, you'd like every game to be called straight up, without bias, but real life doesn't work that way, and we've gotten the benefit of the doubt more often than not.

Rummpd
03-08-2006, 08:01 AM
"We've gotten more than our share of the calls most of the season, so I can live with a game every now and then when we don't. Ideally, you'd like every game to be called straight up, without bias, but real life doesn't work that way, and we've gotten the benefit of the doubt more often than not."

Huh? Spur near the bottom in shooting FTs, albeit they clank too many of them. Seems to me Duncan and Parker have been hammered all year, the way he goes to the hole Parker should shoot a lot more FTs.

Chris
03-08-2006, 08:10 AM
Aside from the officiating the Spurs didn't even get outplayed. We played good defense and they still made the shots. When Cassell gets in the zone its sometimes impossible to stop him. Look back at his days as a Buck with Ray Allen. Elton Brand just keeps rolling along too. When Cassell and Brand go off, it's hard for ANY team to stop them. Thats why Barkley thinks they have a chance in the playoffs.

Joepa
03-08-2006, 08:17 AM
There should be no complaints about officiating, no matter how horrendous it was. You won't hear pop or the players do it, so we shouldn't either. Sometimes you just get beat.

We're still the best in the west, and we'll recover and spank the suns.

Solid D
03-08-2006, 08:44 AM
Aside from the officiating the Spurs didn't even get outplayed. We played good defense and they still made the shots. When Cassell gets in the zone its sometimes impossible to stop him. Look back at his days as a Buck with Ray Allen. Elton Brand just keeps rolling along too. When Cassell and Brand go off, it's hard for ANY team to stop them. Thats why Barkley thinks they have a chance in the playoffs.

I agree with you Chris, that the Clippers made shots. I disagree on the "outplayed" aspect. I think the Spurs were outplayed by the Clippers in execution on offense and defense. The Clips got into their offense very quickly and crisply and the Spurs didn't stop them. LA's defensive rotations were very quick, they closed-out extremely well and they put a great deal of effort into contesting shots. Ross and Brand were defensive standouts. The Clips' doubling scheme on Duncan bringing ball-side help from Livingston in particular gave Timmy all kinds of trouble. The Spurs were taken completely out of their offensive flow in the last quarter and a half of the game.

Pop normally sends more help on Cassell than he chose to do Tuesday, but maybe he had a reason for that. Beno was dead meat in his one-on-one post defense on Sam. Sam's been doing that to Spurs' guards (insert any name) since the mid '90s. The Clippers executed to perfection in ADDITION TO fortunate rolls, bounces and calls.

leemajors
03-08-2006, 09:14 AM
I agree with you Chris, that the Clippers made shots. I disagree on the "outplayed" aspect. I think the Spurs were outplayed by the Clippers in execution on offense and defense. The Clips got into their offense very quickly and crisply and the Spurs didn't stop them. LA's defensive rotations were very quick, they closed-out extremely well and they put a great deal of effort into contesting shots. Ross and Brand were defensive standouts. The Clips' doubling scheme on Duncan bringing ball-side help from Livingston in particular gave Timmy all kinds of trouble. The Spurs were taken completely out of their offensive flow in the last quarter and a half of the game.

Pop normally sends more help on Cassell than he chose to do Tuesday, but maybe he had a reason for that. Beno was dead meat in his one-on-one post defense on Sam. Sam's been doing that to Spurs' guards (insert any name) since the mid '90s. The Clippers executed to perfection in ADDITION TO fortunate rolls, bounces and calls.
i think pop would have sent help for beno on sam if timmy wasn't in foul trouble. when sam got hot is when tim had to sit with 4 fouls right?

Solid D
03-08-2006, 09:22 AM
i think pop would have sent help for beno on sam if timmy wasn't in foul trouble. when sam got hot is when tim had to sit with 4 fouls right?

It was when Timmy was sitting. I don't think the Spurs would have scrapped doubling just because of Timmy, though.

Walton Buys Off Me
03-08-2006, 09:44 AM
Let me get this straight. Those who know in here may say a lot of shit about me but I rarely if ever whine about refereeing. I'll complain about everything else under the sun, but in general, I leave the refs out of it. I've come to accept that NBA officiating is about as credible as a Michael Moore "documentary".

That being said, if you look at the time I started this thread, it was at the half, when we were leading 43-42. The only reason it was a game at that point was because the referees were doing their best impression of drunk, retarded Clipper fans. You cannot argue that. You cannot tell me we were not being aggressive. Manu Ginobili took the ball to the basket with impunity all half, got ONE FREE THROW out of it. Sam Cassell literally dislocated his finger trying to break Ginobili's arm, no call, yet Chris Kaman went to the line six times because he was bumped thirty feet from the basket.

As for the second half, we got our asses kicked, pure and simple, no excuses there. Thankfully, there's roughly seven years between games come playoff time because our age is really showing on back-to-backs. Tim Duncan looked like Stephen Hawking out there last night- all he needed was the voicebox. Not sure why, since he only played 32 minutes in LA after milking the eye injury in the fourth. What's more disturbing is that 23 year-old Tony Parker decided that penetrating wasn't for him last night, resorting to the Tony of old, which does about as much for our team as Rasho Nesterovic.

There you have it, we lost, played like a WNBA team in the second half so no excuses but please don't tell me that the referees didn't have an agenda in the first half. They were the wind in LA's sails for the first 24 minutes and then when things were out of reach, the Clips got whistled for four fouls in the first minute and a half of the fourth quarter.....gimme a break!

picnroll
03-08-2006, 09:52 AM
That one wasn't on the refs but the Spurs and the Clips. Clips were playing great D, rotating like they were the Spurs.

It wasn't until the last four minutes of the game TD decide to stop pussyfooting waiting for the triple team to come and started attacking right away. If he'd done that to start with maybe Kaman and Brand would have been the ones in foul trouble. Who stole Duncan and put this passive imposter in his place? Maybe he's been hanging around Rasho too long.

leemajors
03-08-2006, 10:22 AM
It was when Timmy was sitting. I don't think the Spurs would have scrapped doubling just because of Timmy, though.

well i would assume they would send a big over to double. with timmy in i would feel more comfortable sending that other big over while timmy takes brand. brand is too much for nazr or rasho to handle solo.

Mixability
03-08-2006, 10:47 AM
blaming the refs............... :depressed

pathetic.

what are we? Seahawk/Mavs fans? :lol

SAGambler
03-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Well, when you have EB, who it seemed could have been wearing blinders and still throw it up and in, and then Sam goes off in the fourth, you just gotta chalk it up to one of those games that you probably should have won, but didn't.

It happens to every team during the season. The Spurs are no exception.

But I do have to ask.. Why does Tim think sometimes he wants to be a point guard?

That could have been big, with Manu ready to pop a three, and Tim can't put the brakes on.

spur219
03-08-2006, 10:52 AM
Come on don't discredit the Clippers. The Spurs got outplayed. The Clippers were clearly the better team last night.

smeagol
03-08-2006, 11:01 AM
Buahhhh! Buahhhhhh! Those mean olī refs!

:rolleyes

boutons_
03-08-2006, 11:01 AM
"Manu ready to pop a three, and Tim can't put the brakes on."

yep, Manu HIT the 3G. that could have been a momentum changing point, instead, Manu's 3G didn't count, and Tim had to sit. essentially at that point, GAMEOVER.

Hook Dem
03-08-2006, 11:12 AM
How many teams would give their left nut to be in our position? That's right! We just got outplayed and it's gonna happen in this league. It's not the end of the world. We have a chance to redeem thursday night and I'll predict that happens! Look at 'ol Avery threatning to change the color of his hair. I think the Mavs have a few problems also. This next month should prove to be one of the most exciting finishes in years. May the best team emerge! Sure, it would be nice to have HCA throughout but what if we don't? Should we just quit, since theoretically, it would be impossible to win a 7 series in Detroit? I don't think so. Thats why they play the game. I'll continue to have faith in this team and put my full support behind them. They, at least, deserve that! Those that want to throw the team or certain players under the bus, don't deserve to be fans!!!! May the SPURS live long and prosper. http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/5415/bouncingballspurs3tf.gif (http://imageshack.us)