PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Upcoming Season

Kori Ellis
09-30-2004, 09:50 PM
How do you feel about the Spurs going into this season?

Last year at this time, I was somewhat worried about Hedo and Rasho. This year, I don't have hesitations about Brent Barry.

I'm a little worried about our backup bigs, unless Pop and Malik have reverted to the ideal situation of days gone by.

I like that the Spurs are bringing in a guy like Linton Johnson III to groom under Bowen's wing.

What do you guys like and dislike about this year's team?

exstatic
09-30-2004, 09:58 PM
I think they will go to the Finals. Barry would have been enough to get by last year's Lakers, and they are now minus the Big Ugly. LA really has no low post presence, and their rebounding is going to suck. I look at Minnesota like I did Dallas the season before last: so close, but no cigar. Both of their guards are a year older, and KG is still a punk ass.

E20
09-30-2004, 10:00 PM
There's not much to hate. Maybe the back up frontline. The season should hurry up and start faster.

Duff McCartney
09-30-2004, 10:00 PM
There's pretty much nothing I can ever not like about the Spurs. I'm not like some dumbasses every year who expect nothing more than a title and then get pissed when they don't. Hello motherfuckers...Spurs have won 2 titles in their what 30 year existence? Sure must have sucked being pissed off all those years.

Anywho....I think anything the Spurs do is fine with me...like I said, I want them to win the title...but if they don't I won't stay hung up on it. There's always next year.

ducks
09-30-2004, 10:13 PM
spurs trade for thomas straight up for rose I would feel better
rose is more stuborn then pop

Kori Ellis
09-30-2004, 10:18 PM
You are dead wrong on that. Pop is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more stubborn than Malik.

SpursFanInAustin
09-30-2004, 10:19 PM
I like the addition of Barry. I hope to see more improvement from Parker and Ginobili as they mature, and expect Devin Brown to be a sparkplug off the bench. I have concerns about the frontline depth like many people are. I just hope Malik can play like he did 2 seasons ago and get out of Pop's doghouse. I could give a crap if Malone signs with the Spurs. I really don't want him, but if he signs, hopefully he won't mess up chemistry as he returns from knee surgery midway through the season. We can win the title without him.

With the Spurs biggest nemesis (the Lakers) dismantled in the offseason, the Spurs road to the title won't be as difficult as it has been since 2001. The Spurs should have the edge over most Western Conference teams with their mental toughness, depth, and playoff experience together. The Spurs have 6 players with championship rings and 3 of them have won multiple rings. I expect really tough competition from Minnesota out West, and some battles with the Rockets and Mavs within the division. Detroit is still the team to beat, but should the Spurs meet up with the Pistons in the finals, the Spurs have what it takes to bring the title back to the river city.

ZStomp
09-30-2004, 10:50 PM
How do you feel about the Spurs going into this season?

Last year at this time, I was somewhat worried about Hedo and Rasho. This year, I don't have hesitations about Brent Barry.

I'm a little worried about our backup bigs, unless Pop and Malik have reverted to the ideal situation of days gone by.

I like that the Spurs are bringing in a guy like Linton Johnson III to groom under Bowen's wing.

What do you guys like and dislike about this year's team?

How do you feel about Rasho this year??

Kori Ellis
09-30-2004, 10:52 PM
I'd like him to be a little more aggressive, and he needs to crash the boards with more consistency. But he does what is asked of him with the coaching staff and his teammates, so I think he'll improve this season. I don't expect him to ever be an All-Star... just consistent on D and the boards is enough.

ZStomp
09-30-2004, 10:55 PM
I'm so in dire need of some Spurs basketball...I miss those days knowing there is a game that evening.

I can't wait!!!

Kori Ellis
09-30-2004, 10:56 PM
Yeah, me too.

Media Day is Monday and camp starts Tuesday. So at least we'll start getting some info.

ZStomp
09-30-2004, 10:57 PM
Yeah, me too.

Media Day is Monday and camp starts Tuesday. So at least we'll start getting some info.

Finally!!

Speaking of basketball...I wanna play some! :wink

Kori Ellis
09-30-2004, 11:01 PM
Maybe we can have a tournament one of these weekends before the NBA season officially begins.

pooh
09-30-2004, 11:02 PM
The Spurs need to worry about keeping Duncan and Ginobili healthy during the first two or three months of the season.

ducks
09-30-2004, 11:07 PM
pacers need to keep artest cool and no flagrent fouls

SequSpur
09-30-2004, 11:33 PM
Malik is not a big. Sorry. He sucks.

Also, the Spurs did nothing to get a backup point guard that has veteran leadership and the knowledge to win a damn playoff game. Screw the regular season.

Also, the Spurs did nothing to get a Center to help Rasho look for his balls.

The Spurs did improve by obtaining one of the best shooters and kick ass type of player in Brent Barry.

They did resign some key components.

However, the same damn weaknesses remain:

Rasho, Malik Rose and no backup point guard.

We'll see if Beaner even makes it through camp.

samikeyp
09-30-2004, 11:47 PM
Duncan will be there. The defense will be there. Parker will get better, so will Manu. If the Spurs get anything from Barry....game, set and match.

exstatic
10-01-2004, 12:21 AM
Also, the Spurs did nothing to get a backup point guard that has veteran leadership and the knowledge to win a damn playoff game.

BRENT BARRY :bang

Iron Giant
10-01-2004, 12:49 AM
I used to watch BB play in Seattle when I lived there...and outside of Bobby Jackson, I can't think of many people I'd rather have playing backup guard minutes in this league (some would argue that Berry's shooting ability makes him better than BJ, even). Regardless, I'm really excited about the season...and hope to hear copious crying in Sacro when the Spurs come to town.

On the even brighter side, I'm never going to have to watch Hedo underperform his talents again. Orlando? On TV? As if! :lol

xcoriate
10-01-2004, 01:51 AM
Also, the Spurs did nothing to get a backup point guard that has veteran leadership and the knowledge to win a damn playoff game. Screw the regular season.

Charlie Ward was supposed to be this correct? Look how he served us. Just goes to show these vet backups aren't always reliable.

xcoriate
10-01-2004, 03:05 AM
Couldn't edit my post, needs to be done within 5mins...

Anyway we still might be a bit week at the sf position but we have some guys that can fake it. Horry and Rose could probably play some minutes against larger 3s if Johnson III doesn't pan out. Barry, Manu, Devin and possibly Sato could see minutes otherwise.

I really don't have a problem with Rasho, his contract compared to other 5s in the league is resonable and in his second year at the club sould be decent. Marks might be able to give us something off the bench here as well? Theres that dude with the double name... but he shouldn't last longer than camp. Apart from that a bunch of pfs who aren't really plausable at C theres no other backup. Tim will probably get a lot of minutes here.

Other than that I think the roster looks solid, with good rotation. If for some reason Beno doesn't work out we still got Brent and our 2 rotation is good it wont miss a step.

Thats my take anyway :)

SpursFanInAustin
10-01-2004, 10:06 AM

See Antonio Daniels in 1999, and Speedy Claxton in 2003.

2Cleva
10-01-2004, 10:23 AM
From the outside - you have to like what SA did in getting Barry. Shores up the backcourt with Parker's inconsistencies, Bowen lack of offense and Ginobili's erratic play. No depth inside so if anyone comes down with injury they are in trouble but that holds true for every NBA team.

But no obvious holes. Spurs are a lock for the conference finals. After that, its wherever the cookie crumbles.

jcrod
10-01-2004, 11:14 AM
I'm excited as always. Hoping to see some more improvements from Tony and Manu, especially Tony. Keep thinking he's going to explode to be an elite guard, he's knocking but hasn't opened it yet. Even though Manu is 27, you still feel he has tons of growth stil there, especially on the consistancy side.

Really pumped over Barry, he's the one I've wanted since last yr. I think he brings so much to us that we lacked last yr. Ball handling, shooting and leadership. It will be exciting seeing Tony, Manu, Barry, Malik (Rasho, Horry) and Duncan all in at the sametime.

Little dissapointed in our backup bigs, didn't want to see Horry back, and was wanting to have a 7 foot project instead of Marks. But with the money sitituation I guess Horry was the best choice. Really wanted to see Scola over this yr.

Also a little worried about the 3 spot. After Bowen, there's nothing there. We had flexablity there last yr with Hedo able to play the three and guard the big three's, although not that good. Lets pray Johnson steps up, because if Bowen gets hurt, were in trouble.

GO SPURS!

Marcus Bryant
10-01-2004, 11:26 AM
As long as the starting center is from Slovenia I have reservations about the Spurs. Hence my willingness to see the Spurs sign Evil. Tim Duncan needs some help up front. He needs someone to bust heads and draw the ire of opposing frontcourts. Maybe Radosoft will "find his aggressiveness" (as Pop put it a few months ago) this season. I'm not holding my breath.

SLOVENIAN 8
10-01-2004, 11:31 AM
Spurs Champions 2005 !!! :king

Solid D
10-01-2004, 11:38 AM
(Rasho) he does what is asked of him with the coaching staff

With one exception, Kori...

Dunk it every time he gets within 6 feet of the basket. The coaches have worked with him on this tons...but sometimes he just gets off task (I heard a grade-school teacher say this one time).
:fro

Solid D
10-01-2004, 11:51 AM
Malik is not a big....no backup point guard

At 255 bills, Malik ain't a big? au contraire there "Skee-Lo"...the Spurs did address backup with Barry and a 1st round draft pick. I'd say they did the best the could to address it, and then some.

"I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat
and a '64 Impala"

GoSpurs21
10-01-2004, 12:19 PM
The season cant start soon enough

picnroll
10-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Gonna be fun. Probably the best passing Spurs team ever.

Brodels
10-01-2004, 01:24 PM
Some have already hit on a few of these points, but here is what I'm thinking:

- Backup point guard. The Spurs will need Barry to play backup SG and maybe even PF. He'll be most effective at SG. Beno will get a shot to win the job, but he's an unknown. I'm not convinced that he's going to be able to step in and do the job right away. Being a floor leader on an NBA team is a difficult job to learn.

- Tim's Health. He's played a lot of basketball over the past couple of years. A major (and perhaps even minor) injury to Tim would essentially take away title contention status.

- Parker. He might be playing for a contract, and that could lead to forced shots. He might be playing with a fat extension, and that could lead to complacency. He might have his best season ever. If his jump shot really has improved, he'll be a better player. He needs to continue to get better defensively and do an even better job at running the team. This is the year for Parker. He'll either take significant steps towards stardom or he won't. The Spurs need him to become a star.

- Devin Brown. He showed flashes of brilliance last season, but he still doesn't know when he should shoot the ball and when he should pass it. He needs to develop a better understanding of the NBA game or he won't get much better than he already is.

- Bowen. He's been nothing but great, but he'll begin to lose that quick lateral movement sometime. Will this be the year? It could be.

- Horry. How much does he have left in the tank?

If most of those things work out positively for the Spurs, things will be good.

Nikos
10-01-2004, 01:50 PM
The more I think about it, the way the Spurs become champs is if Tony Parker becomes an elite PG.

Without him improving a decent amount the Spurs will struggle to seperate themselves from the NBA elite and possibly will come up short again this season.

I think most of the other details will take care of itself. If Parker develops into the star that his talent suggests he should be, then the Spurs likely will become champs.

The teams defense and overall talent is good enough to compete with any team in the league in the regular season.

I'm hoping Parker has plenty of growth left in him and that much of it will spill out this season. If it does.........

BronxCowboy
10-01-2004, 04:05 PM
If Parker develops into the star that his talent suggests he should be, then the Spurs likely will become champs.

TP doesn't really need to be a star, just avoid making too many dumb mistakes.

bigzak25
10-01-2004, 05:59 PM
we've been waiting for TP to be that star when it counts for 3 years.....he's shown up a couple times....disappeared a few as well.....

if he struggles, i fear barry will get his minutes and we will be in danger of losing TP next offseason....could we get someone in a sign n trade?

obviously, I hope he breaks out, and if he does, the road to the championship gets a helluva lot easier, along with his road to a max contract....

i hope he's shooting in a gym somewhere....if he gets better there, Pop needs to lock him up early and enjoy the ride.....

i have no doubts about this season cept for one lone shooter (other than barry)......will someone step up (parker, manu, bruce, bench) or will it cost us...again.

The spurs otherwise have the muscle, depths, energy, and experience to get the job done.

xcoriate
10-01-2004, 07:42 PM
I think we have to be a bit patient with Parker, but can you imagine having Parker, Ginobilli and Barry on the floor at the same time!

Thats a sweet passing lineup, thats three play makers on the floor. Those three with Tim and whoever will be a potent offensive unit, a unit we have lacked in past years.

As for Rasho dunking, we at least won't have this problem with Sean Marks, If you watched any of his play at the olympics he spent most of the time dunking on everybody, in the games i've seen of him the majority of his points came of two handers, I mean he dunked on Yao too... based on that he should be pretty aggresive in the paint.

nzkickass
10-01-2004, 10:27 PM
yeah he's very aggresive in the paint (just what the spurs need)
I loved that dunk he made on Yao. and he's a pretty good shot blocker aswell.
xcoriate are u from australia?

SequSpur
10-01-2004, 11:01 PM
Dude, I only hope that we got someone aggressive on this team.

When does camp start anyway? Also, what kind of reporting am i going to receive from this new spurstalk.com here? I don't want any guessing. I see that in other places... cough cough....

I want insider stuff, good stuff, chilling stuff, locker talk and tpark jersey updates.

Sup?

Kori Ellis
10-01-2004, 11:10 PM
Media Day is Monday (yes, I'm going). So I'll put up some audio at WOAI from whatever interviews I get, and post the links here.

Training camp starts Tuesday. They'll have 2 practices a day through Saturday, then the open practice at the SBC Center on Sunday. Then they'll have practice once a day from the 11th-14th.

Then preseason begins.

xcoriate
10-01-2004, 11:16 PM
Yeah I'm an aussie...

Stuck with the Spurs after Gaze left :)

Solid D
10-01-2004, 11:42 PM
Gonna be fun. Probably the best passing Spurs team ever. - picnroll

can you imagine having Parker, Ginobilli and Barry on the floor at the same time!

Thats a sweet passing lineup, thats three play makers on the floor. Those three with Tim - xcoriate

This cannot be overlooked nor overemphasized! This will be a fun team to watch and you know, I think Pop will open things up even more than he did last season.

Phenomanul
10-02-2004, 12:13 AM
This cannot be overlooked nor overemphasized! This will be a fun team to watch and you know, I think Pop will open things up even more than he did last season.

Yeah maybe now they won't classify the Spurs as a boring team to watch... I for one loved watching Spurs games last year in anticipation of catching Ginobili do something amazing.

Though Tim Duncan means everything to this team... this year we can say that the Spurs are more than just Duncan...

And many people don't make the distinction between Duncan's stoic, relaxed attitude and the attitude of the team.