PDA

View Full Version : Wolff proposes stadium deal to Marlins

T-Pain
03-09-2006, 01:04 PM
Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff sent a letter Wednesday to Florida Marlins officials detailing a new stadium plan for the Major League Baseball team.

Wolff said the letter tells the Marlins that Bexar County would pay $200 million toward a stadium with an existing hotel-motel tax that is currently paying for the AT& Center.

"The next step would be them coming down here and beginning some very intense negotiations to see if there is a way to reach an agreement," Wolff said.

Wolff said the Marlins will need to come up with about $100 million to make the deal work. The letter also states that local ownership will be mandatory.

Car dealership magnate Red McCombs, who used to own the Spurs, the Denver Nuggets and the Minnesota Vikings, said he is interested in investing in the team.

Also interested in possible ownership is the family of former Houston Astros and Texas Rangers great Nolan Ryan, who owns a portion of the minor league team Round Rock Express. His son, Reid Ryan, also owns the minor league team Corpus Christi Hooks.

Eventually, voters in Bexar County would have the final say in the proposal, Wolff said.

"This is a once in a lifetime chance to bring Major League Baseball to San Antonio," he added.

I dont know about you guys, but I back a pro baseball team here in SA all the way

MoSpur
03-09-2006, 02:11 PM
I don't think $200 million will build you a sunroof stadium, but I bet guys like Red McCombs are willing to invest some of there own $$$ to build the sunroof stadium. I'm excited and nervous. I want the city to get the Marlins because it gives us something to do in the summer besides tubing on the Guadalupe or swimming in Canyon (or drowning).

T-Pain
03-09-2006, 03:34 PM
I don't think $200 million will build you a sunroof stadium, but I bet guys like Red McCombs are willing to invest some of there own $$$ to build the sunroof stadium. I'm excited and nervous. I want the city to get the Marlins because it gives us something to do in the summer besides tubing on the Guadalupe or swimming in Canyon (or drowning).

thats what im sayin. i think it would be cool for SA to have two pro teams and actually put SA on the pro sports map. (not that the spurs didnt do it)

MoSpur
03-09-2006, 04:28 PM
I know. The Spurs season seems like it goes by too fast. There is nothing to do here in the summer and it would boost tourism.