PDA

View Full Version : How good could the Suns be under Pop?

SilverPlayer
03-10-2006, 04:31 AM
I can't help sometimes playing what if games....and tonight I kind of drooled at the assembly of raw talent, combined with length, and atheleticism found in the Suns team. They have a hell of a roster now that Diaw has bust out.

I don't think Nash would work for Popovich, but imagine an Avery Johnson caliber point guard combined with Diaw, Stoudamires, and Marion. If they ever learned a popovich defensive system it could be impossible to score on them.

NCaliSpurs
03-10-2006, 07:29 AM
Terrible. They would be horrible. These guys expend a lot of effort, on offense. And much of their success is due to the type of offense they run (run down the court as quickly as possible and the open player shoots it).

cheguevara
03-10-2006, 09:46 AM
Pop would commit suicide the way these guys play defense

GoSpurs21
03-10-2006, 09:50 AM
I'm pretty sure if you put TP on that team instead of Nash Pop would have them playing pretty good D within a year, plus they would be taking more quality shots

NCaliSpurs
03-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Don't they score like 108 ppg? I don't think the "quality shots" is the problem. Actaully, I don't really think they have much of a problem. Unlike most people around here, and even the media, I think they are a scary scary playoff team.

If Amare shows up healthy, then they could run and gun all the way to the finals (where they would get smacked down by detroit).

easjer
03-10-2006, 10:28 AM
They'd be awful for the first two years. The reason their system works is the lack of defense. Inserting a full defensive system would seriously hamper their offense until they got it down and could then begin incorporating a flow and rhythm. Ick.

spursfaninla
03-10-2006, 10:37 AM
They thrive on early offense. If they can get going before the defense is fully set, which is OFTEN, even against the Spurs last night, they are almost automatic (over 50% last night!) Matrix and Diaw are monsters when going for lobs or slashing to the basket, because they are too big for Manu and Bowen to slow down, and too fast for our front court.

The only thing that saved us was we shot 58%, hit MANY 3's, and managed to force them into a deliberate offense 40% of the time. When they were in the half court on offense, they looked human.

With Nash, this team has my respect. With a healthy Amare, they go into official Dark Horse catagory.

Lucky for us, I don't think Amare comes back with enough time to really be integrated into things. The team has an identity and roles for everyone, Amare comes back and messes it up. Kerr talked about how even MJ coming back for the playoffs messed up the Bulls, how CWeb came back and messed up Sac. Phoenix hasn't had Amare all year, I think its too late to change for them.

Extra Stout
03-10-2006, 11:09 AM
The roster in Phoenix is not compatible with Pop's philosophy. D'Antoni's style works for them.

Sportman
03-10-2006, 11:11 AM
My question would be, could pop be their coach??..........mnmnm i dont think so

Extra Stout
03-10-2006, 11:12 AM
With Nash, this team has my respect. With a healthy Amare, they go into official Dark Horse catagory.
With Duncan moving past 30, and Dallas on the rise, the end of the "Spurs era" is in sight.

Phoenix will have a couple of legit chances, too. They could win it all next year or the year after, with a healthy Amare. After that, though, Nash gets too old, and we see what they're like without Nash.

I bet either Dallas or Phoenix eliminates the Spurs next season.

Extra Stout
03-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Pardon me for repeating myself. Pardon me for repeating myself.

Sec24Row7
03-10-2006, 11:17 AM
D'Antoni is a great coach.

Pop isn't some super genius better at coaching than everyone else on the planet.

He will be the first one to tell you that.

They play the style of play they need to play to do well and they have done a great job with the cards that they have been dealt this season.

If they get everyone back healthy they may have a decent shot at beating us in the playoffs.

BillsCarnage
03-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Pop would commit suicide the way these guys play defense

Yeah, kind a like the 4th quarter defense against Orlando, Dallas, NoOKy..

spur219
03-10-2006, 12:17 PM
Its only a matter of time that Phoenix gets to the Finals. If Nash and Stoudamire are healthy and have this same core of guys then eventually they will get to the Finals soon I think.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-10-2006, 12:49 PM
I'm pretty sure if you put TP on that team instead of Nash Pop would have them playing pretty good D within a year,

Good point. If Pop could then trade for Bowen and Ginobili, and then bring Duncan over somehow. . .well then. . .I think we'd be on to something!

Extra Stout
03-10-2006, 12:50 PM
Its only a matter of time that Phoenix gets to the Finals. If Nash and Stoudamire are healthy and have this same core of guys then eventually they will get to the Finals soon I think.
There are about two years left in their window, before Nash goes into decline.

leemajors
03-10-2006, 12:52 PM

we'll see how they handle FA and trades now that BC is gone, he did a great job the last few years.

Vingianx
03-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Don't they score like 108 ppg? I don't think the "quality shots" is the problem. Actaully, I don't really think they have much of a problem. Unlike most people around here, and even the media, I think they are a scary scary playoff team.

If Amare shows up healthy, then they could run and gun all the way to the finals (where they would get smacked down by detroit).
SWISS CHEESE TYPE OF DEFENSE IS THE ONLY PROBLEM IN PHX :lol

NCaliSpurs
03-10-2006, 04:41 PM
That's only a problem if the other team can outscore you. Most (almost all teams really) are not built for that kind of offensive productivity. I am surprised the Spurs have risen to the task so far, and this may not be the case again in the playoffs.

Phoenix is a fricking nightmare if they are all healthy.

boutons_
03-10-2006, 05:00 PM
Spurs defense really got after the Suns last night, and kept them out of the game.

yeah, Suns shot 48%, but had 14 vs 8 TOs, and their offense had only 17/41 AST vs 30/48 AST.

Include that the Spurs shot 55% on the road, and it's clear that the Suns have long way to go to match the Spurs. Ie, not very much different from 05 WCFs.

WalterBenitez
03-10-2006, 05:58 PM
heart attack after 2 hours of taking over, perhaps 3 if he were sleeping