PDA

View Full Version : SI's Marty Burns on Spurs-Suns

CubanMustGo
03-10-2006, 11:32 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/marty_burns/03/10/spurs.suns/

PHOENIX -- It was supposed to be a possible preview of the Western Conference finals. Unfortunately for NBA fans, Thursday night's Spurs-Suns clash was rendered basically meaningless by the absence of Phoenix point guard Steve Nash because of an ankle injury.

Still, here are three things we learned from the Spurs' 117-93 victory:

San Antonio is still the class of the West

Yes, Phoenix was missing Nash and several other key players to injury. But the Spurs were playing without Nick Van Exel (elbow) and with Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili at less than 100 percent. Still, they were able to go into a hostile arena against a team that had won 11 straight and dominate.

Just like they did a year ago against the Suns in the playoffs, the Spurs proved they could win at Phoenix's game. When the Suns ran, the Spurs ran right with them. When the Suns collapsed on Duncan to take away the inside game, Tony Parker, Bruce Bowen, Brent Barry and Ginobili just kept knocking down open jumpers. Parker, in particular, showed a lethal outside shooting touch.

Thanks to Detroit's torrid start and Duncan's chronic foot injury, the Spurs have been flying under the radar even more than usual this season. But Parker's emergence as a bona fide All-Star has more than made up for Duncan's limitations. The Spurs have defeated the Mavs and Suns in the past week. In fact, San Antonio's 48-13 record is the best in franchise history after 61 games.

Phoenix has plenty of reason to be optimistic

Despite the loss, the Suns remain the Spurs' biggest threat in the West. For one, they are a much better defensive team than they were a year ago. They still lead the league in scoring (108.1 points per game), but on the other end they have improved to 10th in the NBA in field goal percentage defense (.444). The Mavs rank ninth in field goal defense, but they are nowhere near as potent offensively (99.9 points). The Suns, meanwhile, could get Amare Stoudemire back and they should have the No. 2 seed and the easier path to the Western finals.

The Suns' defense looked pathetic Thursday night, but they were missing Nash and center Kurt Thomas (foot injury). Without Thomas in the middle to at least slow down Duncan, Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni made a strategic decision to have his players collapse in the paint. Parker and others took full advantage by hitting open jumpers. If Thomas and Brian Grant are healthy come playoff time, Phoenix should be able to offer more resistance in the interior.

The other reason Phoenix fans should be optimistic is because Stoudemire is back at practice. The 6-foot-11 power forward went five-on-five with teammates Wednesday and the results were encouraging. Stoudemire is coming along so fast, in fact, that some Suns insiders say they wouldn't be totally shocked if he suited up in the next week or so. For what it's worth, the mood among the Suns' coaching staff, which had been pessimistic about a quick return as recently as a week ago, had turned 180 degrees Thursday.

Boris Diaw may be the NBA's most underrated player

Like Toronto's Chris Bosh and New Orleans' David West, Diaw has improved dramatically from last season. After two lackluster seasons in Atlanta, the 6-8 Frenchman has emerged as a major factor while playing four different positions for Phoenix. He was a huge spark during its recent 11-game win streak, averaging 18.1 points (on 56.9 percent shooting) to go with 8.5 rebounds and 6 assists.

Maybe it was the sight of his old high school pal Parker in an opposing uniform, but Diaw put his versatility on full display Thursday night. Starting at center in place of the injured Thomas, he finished with 16 points, nine rebounds and nine assists. Among his buckets were several 15-foot jumpers, a baseline drive and layup, and a step-back fadeaway jumper. Suns coaches were so confident in his ability to handle the ball and make decisions that they basically had him replace Nash as the player through whom they ran the offense. He also was the principal defender on Duncan much of the night.

At Scottie Pippen's retirement ceremony in Chicago earlier this season, Lakers coach Phil Jackson cited Diaw as the player in the league who reminded him most of Pippen. Granted, a lot of players look better while playing with Nash (see Raja Bell, James Jones, Leandro Barbosa, Eddie House, etc...), but Diaw showed Thursday that he could do it without Nash setting him up for easy baskets. With his continued development, along with a healthy Stoudemire and Thomas -- and of course Nash and Shawn Marion -- the Suns might yet find themselves again battling the Spurs for the Western Conference title.

Extra Stout
03-10-2006, 11:39 AM
The Suns' defense looked pathetic Thursday night, but they were missing Nash...

True. Nash has been their defensive stoppa all year.

BillsCarnage
03-10-2006, 11:53 AM
Yes, Phoenix was missing Nash and several other key players to injury. But the Spurs were playing without Nick Van Exel (elbow) and with Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili at less than 100 percent.

Puhlease.. Suns are missing 3 starters (not to mention a key bench player - 6th man?) vs a bench player and two "less than" 100% starters.

Lets have both teams with all their players able to play and find out the result.

Solid D
03-10-2006, 12:40 PM
Good comparison, Diaw and Pippen. Diaw appears be physically stronger than Scottie was.

AZLouis
03-10-2006, 12:45 PM
True. Nash has been their defensive stoppa all year.

:lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-10-2006, 12:59 PM
I think Diaw's talent is superior to Pippen. Pippen was a long three, but I think Diaw is going to have the versatility to possibly play 4 positions with some success. Maybe I just never cared for Scottie. . .not sure.

SA Gunslinger
03-10-2006, 01:04 PM
I was very happy to see the Spurs not taking the Suns lightly. That was an azz whuppin in every sense of the word.

But it didn't mean anything. I do agree that Nash doesn't play defense but the pressure he puts on the opponent's defense does take a toll over 48minutes.

Solid D
03-10-2006, 01:13 PM
I think Diaw's talent is superior to Pippen. Pippen was a long three, but I think Diaw is going to have the versatility to possibly play 4 positions with some success. Maybe I just never cared for Scottie. . .not sure.

If Boris is going to reach Pippen levels of performance, he will have to become one of the 20 best Forwards to ever play in the NBA. Pippen is in that august group of stars.

Encino Man
03-10-2006, 01:14 PM
Pippen had Intelligence of Caveman. He my yardman.

leemajors
03-10-2006, 01:14 PM
somehow i don't see diaw with more rings than can fit on one hand...

CharlieMac
03-10-2006, 01:18 PM
Puhlease.. Suns are missing 3 starters (not to mention a key bench player - 6th man?) vs a bench player and two "less than" 100% starters.

Lets have both teams with all their players able to play and find out the result.

2005 WCF

Spurs 4
Suns 1

Phenomanul
03-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Good comparison, Diaw and Pippen. Diaw appears be physically stronger than Scottie was.

And directly out of Phil's mouth.... :wow

Wasn't Parker lobbying to get Diaw into a Spurs uni a year ago??? Would he have been the athletic 3 we've been looking for??

JamStone
03-10-2006, 01:34 PM
2005 WCF

Spurs 4
Suns 1

He wrote "ALL" their players.

Joe Johnson did not play the first two games in the 2005 WCF.

Sec24Row7
03-10-2006, 01:35 PM
He wrote "ALL" their players.

Joe Johnson did not play the first two games in the 2005 WCF.

Neither did Linton Johnson III.

cheguevara
03-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Diaw is nothing like Pippen! could Pippen play center? nope

BillsCarnage
03-10-2006, 02:06 PM
2005 WCF

Spurs 4
Suns 1

Completely different team this year.. They have 8... 9, 10(Barrett & TT) new players from last year.

Stoopid comparison.

Like i said.. ALL of the Suns players healthy.

cheguevara
03-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Suns got destroyed. Even Pacers w/out Oneal, Arterst, Tinsley, etc put up a better fight :lol

Rummpd
03-10-2006, 02:11 PM
Suns in my opinion are an entertaining team to watch and a great regular season team but their defense still has gaping holes. Plus Nash and certainly Stoudemire will not be the answer on that side of the ball.

Spurs move the ball like last night = turn out the lights on the Suns and quickly.

Spurminator
03-10-2006, 02:30 PM
It's hard to really take anything from this game regarding the Suns vs. Spurs.

What we CAN take from it is that the Suns will probably think twice before leaving the Spurs such wide open shots next meeting.

Oh, and Shawn Marion can't guard Tony Parker.