PDA

View Full Version : Coyote Named Best Mascot of the Year

Old School Chic
03-10-2006, 05:35 PM
San Antonio, TX - (Mar. 10, 2006) - The San Antonio Spurs Coyote was named best mascot of the year, for 2005, by Gameops.com. The Spurs organization will present the award during the second time out of the first quarter at the Spurs vs. Rockets game at the AT&T Center, on Sunday, March 12 at 2:30 pm.

The Coyote has been the San Antonio Spurs’ mascot for 23 seasons, and is now one of the most recognizable faces of the organization. “We take a lot of pride in all areas of organization, including Game Operations,” said Don Costante, director of game operations and promotions for the San Antonio Spurs. “The Coyote is a big part of game presentation, so it means a lot to us that our mascot is deemed the #1 mascot of all sports.”

Gameops.com, a website created in 1998, serves major sports organizations both at the professional and collegiate level. The website offers suggestions for promotions, music and video features, as well as a full dictionary of industry terminology. The website is only one of two in the nation that offer yearly game operation awards. The Best Mascot award considers creativity, enthusiasm, and value to the community. Mascots from all levels and kinds of sports are eligible for the award. “The continued success of the Coyote character is a true testament to both the performers and the Spurs organization,” said Gameops.com. “The Coyote is a model program and a true legend in San Antonio.”

Spurs Sports & Entertainment (SS&E) work with three different mascots: The Spurs Coyote, Silver Stars Fox, and Rampage T-Bone. The Coyote appears at all 41 regular season home games each year, as well as all playoff games. In addition, makes nearly 400 community appearances every year. For more information about the Coyote and booking details, visit <http://www.nba.com/spurs/mascot/coyotesden.html>

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-10-2006, 05:38 PM
This is awful! This is why kids these days are so terrible. The evil media keeps rewarding poor role models. They couldn't give the award to a mascot who didn't get ejected?

spurs_2108
03-10-2006, 05:39 PM
Sweet!!!

Old School Chic
03-10-2006, 05:40 PM
This is awful! This is why kids these days are so terrible. The evil media keeps rewarding poor role models. They couldn't give the award to a mascot who didn't get ejected?

:lmao

boutons_
03-10-2006, 05:40 PM
Congrats.

Did the Coyote ever win this with Tim Derk?

Trainwreck2100
03-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Congrats.

Did the Coyote ever win this with Tim Derk?

Im sur he will seize it

Solid D
03-10-2006, 05:43 PM
Cool. Tim Derk never got this award while in costume...but HE got this award... if you know what I mean and I think you do.

MoSpur
03-10-2006, 05:47 PM
This is very good. When I go to the games I always have my eye on the Coyote. He cracks me up even though I have seen his acts over and over again. It never gets old.

sa_butta
03-10-2006, 05:52 PM
Way to go 2!

WalterBenitez
03-10-2006, 06:00 PM

Did I tell you I like the Coyote?

MaNuMaNiAc
03-10-2006, 06:05 PM
Congrats to the coyote. However, I have to say, to me, the coyote costume is ugly as all hell. They could put a little more effort into making it look decent.

LilMissSPURfect
03-10-2006, 06:27 PM
he's the coyote ....he's supposed to look like a dumbass

Marklar MM
03-10-2006, 06:37 PM
I wish the Pistons mascot could win. Sadly, I doubt anyone wants to see a horse that is drugged up.

yeahone
03-10-2006, 06:54 PM
congrats coyote

biggerspursfanthanu
03-10-2006, 07:54 PM
Well deserved and long overdue.

milkyway21
03-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Congrats, The Coyote :tu

but,who really is the Coyote?

http://www.spursinfo.com/photos/coyote/coyote_20.jpg

-Was signed by the Spurs as a Flea Agent in June of 1983

-During the 2003-04 season appeared in 50 games - with 50 starts - averaging 29.9 guffaws and 11.8 chuckles per contest

-Was named the NBA's MVV (Most Valuable Varmint) for the twelfth time in his career(Tim Duncan, move over).

-Registered a career-high 1118 hugs vs. the Lakers on 12/17/97

-The only mascot in the NBA who growls at "The Mailman" every time he is in town :tu

-Makes over 400 community appearances each year, averaging 19.8 rib-tickles per visit

-During the 1993-94 season became the first mascot in NBA history to dunk both a basketball and a doughnut in a single game :wow
-Full name is ENTERTAINUS CARNIVOROUS
-Single, but is considering Animal Husbandry :D
-Graduated from ACME University with hors d'oeuvres

-Favorite food is Roadrunner under glass, but admits a weakness for Fried San Diego Chicken
-Recently was cast in the lead role in the movie Lord of the Rings, but eventually lost the part to Elijah Wood after it was discovered that The Coyote had no ring finger :lol

-Seen talking with the Disney people about "THE COYOTE KING 2 1/2"
-Would love to have Lassie over "for lunch" someday
-Favorite musical group is Los Lobos
-Spends his free time watching the Fox Network
-Admits living in "Bexar" County scares him.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/mascot/coyote_bio.html

boutons_
03-10-2006, 08:29 PM
I was walking around the Salado Creek bed just south of NE 410 near Starcrest and south of Los Patios a couple days ago looking the the SA Parks and Rec are doing to build a "Linear Parkway" along the creek.

Saw my first coyote in San Antonio. I wonder if he/she's been taking out our racoons, skunks, possums?

:lol

Rummpd
03-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Damm someone outdid that Gorilla in Phoenix - Thank God!
My next favorite after the Cayote is the Sasquatch in Seattle - one ugly costumn the the guy who wears it apparently played college ball and puts on quite a show. Stupidiest looking IMO is the Bucks, Deer who looks like he came out of a bad horror movie.

milkyway21
03-10-2006, 08:42 PM
Sasquatch in Seattle

never seen that one...

Marklar MM
03-10-2006, 09:53 PM
never seen that one...

Think of Chewbacca.
http://www.overhills.com/images/Seattle%2001-02/squatch.jpg
http://www.workforceatm.org/Seattle2003/Squatch.jpg

angel_luv
03-11-2006, 01:33 AM
The Coyote deserves all the praise in the world and I am delighted he is getting his props! :)

CAGE
03-11-2006, 08:14 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/pics/0518gorilla.jpg

ObiwanGinobili
03-11-2006, 11:14 AM
:tu to the Coyote.
Is is a Hilarious mascot, I love watching his hijinks!

I was walking around the Salado Creek bed just south of NE 410 near Starcrest and south of Los Patios a couple days ago looking the the SA Parks and Rec are doing to build a "Linear Parkway" along the creek.

Saw my first coyote in San Antonio. I wonder if he/she's been taking out our racoons, skunks, possums?

how coincidental.
i saw a coyote cross my road about 3 mights back... and I'm in the medical center. it was shocking.
cause id I was a coyote I don't think I'd be hanging arounf here. :lol

1Parker1
03-11-2006, 11:50 AM
:lol Go Coyote!

The Sixers mascat, Hip-Hop, actually scares me a little :oops

clubalien
03-11-2006, 03:46 PM
the coyote is definitely the best mascot in the NBA. To bad that he got ill and had to retire. The secound best mascot has to the be sonics chewbca.

San Antonio, TX - (Mar. 10, 2006) - The San Antonio Spurs Coyote was named best mascot of the year, for 2005, by Gameops.com. The Spurs organization will present the award during the second time out of the first quarter at the Spurs vs. Rockets game at the AT&T Center, on Sunday, March 12 at 2:30 pm.

alamo50
03-12-2006, 05:36 AM
I realy missed "the real" Coyote last time I was in San Antone last playoffs.
You could realy see he was still searching his way and movements.
Nothing beats the real thing.

But this award is for Tim just like Solid said.

CAGE
03-12-2006, 09:11 PM
:tu