PDA

View Full Version : Will the Suns make the Finals (Mathematical Approach)

WayDowntownBang
03-10-2006, 05:44 PM
This was asked to me on Rotokingdom where I am an admin. I thought the San Antonio fans, along with the Phoenix fans, would appreciate this. My math may be off, but I believe this is close.

Ooh, I got a question.. what are the chances of Phoenix making it to the Finals if all their players (get and) stay healthy?

This is more of a 'prediction' which should probably be sent over to NostraJimmy, but I'll give it a shot.

Consider Pheonix as "P"
Consider San Antonio as "SA"
Consider New Orleans as "N"
Consider Detroit as "D"
Consider Free Agents as "FA"
Consider the Eastern Conference as "E"
Consider Toronto as "T"
Consider Charlotte as "CHA"
Consider Chicago as "C"

To make a real answer and not just a prediction, one would have to use math.

Take Phoenix.. or P. Put them in the Eastern Conference, or "E", and they shoud do well. Take the free agents ("FA") that they would get by being successful in the east, and consider taking them away from Toronto "T", Chicago "C", and Charlotte "CHA". Detroit is still a winner regardless, so you can throw "D" out of the mix. San Antonio would now be in the West, so you remove "SA" from the equation.

So, this is what we have.

FA-P+(T+CHA+N)+E+C

Simply this to find the solution to P (Phoenix), and you get this.

FA (T+CHA+N)+E+C = Phoenix

Organize the variables by the order of important, and you find the probability of the Phoenix Suns making the Finals in 2006. You will find the solution spelled out for you.

Phoenix = FAT CHANCE

This is WDTB, your resident mathematician. You're welcome. :fro

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-10-2006, 05:50 PM
:lol :lol :lol

This reminds me something a friend wrote when I was in a fantasy hockey league. A guy in the league didn't really know much about hockey and asked about the plus/minus, causing my science dork of a friend to launch into a lengthy discussion that the stat measured the positive and negative charges of the hockey players, and that these charges caused a magnetic attraction which was why the hockey players were always colliding. He then went on to explain how all of this impacted the neutral zone.

Science + sports = FUN