PDA

View Full Version : Call me a homer, but...

spurschick
03-11-2006, 10:56 AM
I was surrounded by Lakers fans at the game last night and I was really pissed off at their behavior, primarily the things they were shouting on to the court. I don't have any problem with opposing fans cheering for their team, but I think it's rude as hell to come in to another team's house and verbally abuse them. This group of guys sitting near me were yelling things like, "Hey Tony, maybe I'll sleep with Eva tonight after you lose!", "Cyclops can't see the rim!" (directed towards Timmy while he was shooting free throws), and "Keep going to the basket, Manu, we'll break another ankle for you!" Keep in mind that these guys were sitting 3 rows behind the visitor's basket, so you know that they players heard them.

I know that hostile environments are a part of the game, but I expect opposing fans to show this kind of disrespect in their own house, not someone else's. I'm sure that most of these people were from SA and probably thought of it has home court, but that kind of stuff really sucks.

SAGambler
03-11-2006, 11:34 AM
If one truth holds forever, it is that there will always be assholes at any sporting event. From T-ball to the Superbowl.

SequSpur
03-11-2006, 11:47 AM
Blame your home team for not showing up.

boutons_
03-11-2006, 11:55 AM
Sporting events can generate high-emotions, negative and positive, where even decent people get caught up in mob psychology and become barbarians. :)

SC, lower your expectations and you won't be disappointed. :)

Respect is such a quaint, out-of-fashion concept. :)

Sec24Row7
03-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Call an usher and tell them you saw them throw something?

Problem solved.

Solid D
03-11-2006, 12:37 PM
If those fans didn't come late and leave early, arrive late after half-time, AND talk/text on their phones during the game - they aren't true Los Angeles Lakers fans.

There used to be a few Houston Rockets fans who used to come in and heckle like that at the Alamodome back in the I-10 rivalry days when Houston was actually good.

WalterBenitez
03-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Yeah they behave bad :flipoff

... but ....
"Hey Tony, maybe I'll ..."

Sounds good to me :eyebrows

Sec24Row7
03-11-2006, 12:47 PM
There were probably 3,000 people wearing Kobe Jerseys last night at the game.

It's kind of funny....

Wish the moron season ticket holders wouldn't put their tickets up for sale on the internet so some yokle can sit right in front of me wearing yellow.

I much prefer the normal drunk guy to looking at number 8 2 feet away.

If you are going to sell your tickets... make sure they go to someone who is going to wear the right color.

polandprzem
03-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Few Lakers fans in the spurs Arena?

Good they are not in Poland. If the would shout things like that in other teams Arena they wouldn't go away on their legs...

gollum
03-11-2006, 01:10 PM
Next time just be alooof :lmao

Djour Djilios
03-11-2006, 01:19 PM
next time sit next to me
we dink vodkaa , No?

Sportcamper
03-11-2006, 01:26 PM
Solid D-If those fans didn't come late and leave early, arrive late after half-time, AND talk/text on their phones during the game - they aren't true Los Angeles Lakers fans...
:lol :rollin :lol

Could not have said it better myself...I doubt that they were really from LA...Just obnoxious people that came to stir the pot.... :lol

Please_dont_ban_me
03-11-2006, 01:35 PM
I'm not being racist...

But, generally speaking, aren't most Lakers fans in San Antonio black?

Kid karaoke
03-11-2006, 01:40 PM
All I know is they can't sing for shit!

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
03-11-2006, 01:47 PM
Break some glass bottles in their heads and start a good old fashioned soccer riot.

http://z.about.com/d/animatedtv/1/0/6/B/willie.jpg
"Let's show 'em how it's done, boys!"

MaNuMaNiAc
03-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Break some glass bottles in their heads and start a good old fashioned soccer riot.

http://z.about.com/d/animatedtv/1/0/6/B/willie.jpg
"Let's show 'em how it's done, boys!"
hey, don't knock 'till you've tried it http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif Its very therapeutic

SoCalSpursFan
03-11-2006, 02:25 PM
Being from L.A., I am ashamed at the horrible fan base the Lakers draw. Whether its when I visit San Antonio to watch my team, or seeing them when I lived in Phoenix....the fans are all the same. They show up, get beer, and stand up yelling whenever the Lakers...or mainly Kobe...score. They stand up and flick their #8 Jersery like its some sort of contest between Kobe and the rest of the world...its so lame.

My favorite is when they sport their #20 or #11 Payton/Malone jerseys. I hope they are glad they wasted their money on those winners. If they want to buy a championship maybe they should talk to Georgie over at the New York Yankee front office.

Anyway, I apologize for the typical Laker fan....its embaressing...

None of the types of fans that show up in San Antonio are EVER at Staples Center in L.A....those seats are reserved for companies and/or people who have a Mercedes and/or a charged cell phone ready to talk on the entire game.

*Is reminded of why he dislikes the Lakers*

Kori Ellis
03-11-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm not being racist...

Most of the Lakers fans I see at Spurs games are prematurely balding white guys. But what does that have to do with anything?

Anyway, I think those kind of comments are always heard when visiting fans are in arenas.

SoCalSpursFan
03-11-2006, 02:31 PM
I'm not being racist...

Not at all...they actually have a bigger Latino following here.

rayray2k8
03-11-2006, 02:41 PM
I dont think I've ever heard any guy use the word "sleep"
unless your PG'ing it.
Yes you are being a homer, but those guys are only guilty of being fans..
Now if it was directed towards you. then those guys are assholes..
But come on.. NBA players have to deal with heckeling everyday..
If you dont like it, stay at home!

missmyzte
03-11-2006, 02:42 PM
I gotta say something ...

If you look, you can find idiot fans from any team. Generalizing all of them is a mistake, regardless of who your favorite team is or where you are from or where they are from.

I was at the Clippers/Spurs game last week and heard some stupid fans yelling crap that made us actually cover the ears of the kids sitting in front of us, it was 10x worse. But I don't think that every Clipper fan is like that.

The Lakers have a lot of good, dedicated, die-hard fans. We also have a lot of bandwagoners, it's the reality of being a historically dominant franchise. Our bandwagoners have a lot of money so they sit courtside and get a lot of attention. Guess what - if the Spurs keep winning the way they are, they will get a whole lot of bandwagoner fans as well. It's reality.

cs100
03-11-2006, 02:49 PM
These kind of fans are not true fans of the "game of basketball". There purpose is to rile fans and players. Just think of them as ignorant children seeking attention and ignore them.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-11-2006, 02:53 PM
How I wish those people would go once in a while to a southamerican soccer game and be the same way. They would get killed, *literally* :lmao!

WayDowntownBang
03-11-2006, 02:55 PM
Personally, I thought the cyclops one was pretty funny. As a fan of taunting, it's only good if it's funny. Some people can't take a joke (I'm not pointing at the OP), and those are usually the people that get bent out of shape about things. Athletes are taking this type of abuse every game, and they should.. it's a part of the game.

But there's some rules to taunting.. NO profanity.. NO saying things that parents would have to cover up kids' ears for, and keep it to the players.. dont' involve their families or anything like that.

There's nothing wrong with a good natured shot.. cyclops is funny. The Manu 'break the other ankle" one shouldn't get anyone mad, but it's just lame and not funny.. and the "Eva" one breaks the rule of family (close enough).

Edit: Just to add... doing this ALL Game would get annoying. A few shots during the game to make people laugh.. nothing wrong with that.

baseline bum
03-11-2006, 03:00 PM
If there's anything I hate more than the Lakers it's Laker fans.

spurschick
03-11-2006, 05:14 PM
But come on.. NBA players have to deal with heckeling everyday.. If you dont like it, stay at home!

First of all, lick me.

Second of all, I know that I used last night's game as an example, but I was by no means solely targeting Laker fans. I realize that the players deal with heckeling all the time and I highly doubt that any of them had their feelings hurt. I'm used to "Duncan, you suck!" and "Nice flop, Manu!", etc., I just don't like when things start to get really nasty - and keep in mind that I only gave a few examples of what these guys were saying all night long. I'm glad they had the smarts not to say they were going to "fuck" Eva, as I'm sure they knew they would get tossed.

Since there are a group of us going to Houston for the last regular season game, I know that I would be really pissed off if any of the people that I was sitting with were to yell the kind of shit that I heard last night, and I know that I'm not going with the type of people that would do that.

Personally, I like having opposing fans in the arena. More often than not, it makes the game fun if you can participate with some harmless banter with them. As I was leaving the arena last night, I passed a guy wearing a Kobe t-shirt. I told him that Kobe was amazing, but I hated him. We shared a laugh and moved on.

MajicMan
03-11-2006, 05:39 PM
They should have used the words "bone Eva" instead of "fuck Eva" :lol
Anyhow, if they were in violation of the stadium rules then maybe you should have had someone deal with it. Wishing someone injury is low class but as long as they didn't use profanity anything goes. These are multi millionaires, I'm sure they can deal with a little verbal jabbage ;)

SequSpur
03-11-2006, 07:02 PM
Blame Peter Holt.

There aren't enough Southsiders in the building to police other teams fans. In the old days, arena and early Alamodome years, if you ran your mouth you probably would get jumped.

Today is a different era. Get used to it especially when the Spurs forfeit back to back games.

Duncan might as well retire. Dude looks worse than a Chris Webber on a 10 day contract.

slayermin
03-11-2006, 07:04 PM
Laker Fans suck. They are the epitome of fair weather fans.

If you don't believe me, listen to Vick "The Brick" Jacobs and Mychal Thompson on the "Loose Canons." They air on weekdays at noon pacific.

Xtra Sports (http://www.xtrasportsradio.com/streaming.html)

With every win, the Lakers are going to win the championship. With every loss, they need to make a trade for KG or Ron Artest. I love listening to them when the Lakers lose. It's hilarious.

cs100
03-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Duncan might as well retire. Dude looks worse than a Chris Webber on a 10 day contract.

Bandwagonner. :flipoff

DarkReign
03-11-2006, 08:14 PM
Blame your home team for not showing up.

Bingo!

MajicMan
03-11-2006, 08:20 PM
Laker Fans suck. They are the epitome of fair weather fans.

If you don't believe me, listen to Vick "The Brick" Jacobs and Mychal Thompson on the "Loose Canons." They air on weekdays at noon pacific.

Xtra Sports (http://www.xtrasportsradio.com/streaming.html)

With every win, the Lakers are going to win the championship. With every loss, they need to make a trade for KG or Ron Artest. I love listening to them when the Lakers lose. It's hilarious.

Hmmm sounds like the same thing that goes on around here..

SPARKY
03-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Laker fan excited because their team scored the upset against the road weary champs on the end of their 2nd backtoback in 5 days? Hey! Maybe they'll make the playoffs!

ShoogarBear
03-12-2006, 03:46 AM
Most of the Lakers fans I see at Spurs games are prematurely balding white guys. But what does that have to do with anything?
And what's wrong with bald?

slayermin
03-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Hmmm sounds like the same thing that goes on around here..

Difference is the Spurs are defending World Champs.