PDA

View Full Version : Brent Barry's 5K Run Walk

angel_luv
03-11-2006, 12:03 PM
I just got back.

I had so much fun! :elephant

Brent and Erin had a really good turn out for the race. It appeared that quite a few people came back from last year. I also think that this year's t.v. spots brought in several newbies.

It was a mixed crowd contestant wise- obvious athletes, families with strollers, and people like my friend and me who ranked somewhere in the middle.

My friend arrived on location late, so we started off farther in the back this year. Last year we were the very first in line and were on the news for half a second.

I saw our very own best mascot, the Coyote but didn't get to interact with him.
Last race, he stole my hand bag. :)

Brent and Erin both greeted the crowd but I was too far back to hear what either of them said.

Brent walked past me just as the race started and told me to have fun.

My friend and I walked the majoirty of the 3.1 miles. But once we got back to the Freeman Coliseum -the final stretch- I decided I wanted to sprint to the finish. Let's hear it for #351!
(Cue Chariots of Fire music :lol )

I had to leave my friend in the dust cause her legs are much shorter than mine.
Brent waited for everyone at the finish line. As I came across it, he smiled at me. Then, a few minutes later, he shook my hand and told me good job.

I have pictures of Brent and also of me standing at the finish line which I will post once I finish the film. :)

Good times! :)

Old School Chic
03-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Angel,

I'm glad you had a good time. :spin

I wonder if Brent and his wife are going to be tired at the Tux N Tennies event tonight?

angel_luv
03-11-2006, 01:14 PM
Angel,

I'm glad you had a good time. :spin

I wonder if Brent and his wife are going to be tired at the Tux N Tennies event tonight?

Brent and Erin didn't seem at all in a rush. Erin was visiting with some of her staff and Brent had a line for autographs.

Hopefully they made it home in time for a nap. :) I am sure the Spurs staff did a good job of helping wrap up the event in a timely manner.

If you go to T& T tonight- take pictures for me, please! :)

spurschick
03-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Not sure, but I think I just saw you on WOAI.

cs100
03-11-2006, 07:09 PM
I'm glad it turned out good and Kudos to angel for participating. :)

angel_luv
03-11-2006, 07:25 PM
Not sure, but I think I just saw you on WOAI.

Ah, really? :)

I was wearing black basketball shorts and the race- t-shirt.

My times are in. :elephant

I placed 33 in my age group out of 39. The fastest time in my group was 20:24 and the slowest 54:59.

I placed 237 out of the all the females and 473 overall.

There are pics posted but it appears the good photographer got tired of capturing photo finishes about two minutes, literally, before I got back.
Boosh! :lol

spurs=bling
03-11-2006, 08:32 PM
glad you had fun

Trainwreck2100
03-11-2006, 11:39 PM
I figured that the only way to be like Brent Barry was if I missed everything, so I did.

pache100
03-13-2006, 09:33 AM
Angel Luv, I wish I had known you were there! My Mom, sister, and I walked, too. We also walked last year.

We went to Ashley Furniture on IH-10 last Friday to pick up our packets, and we saw Arturo; he's at all the Spurs walks and the packet pickups. We also saw him at the packet pickup for the UTSA Diploma Dash last month where he was passing out flyers for the Spurs Walk. You probably know him, I'm sure he's in the PR dept for the Spurs in some capacity. The guy who was announcing at the Spurs Walk was also there at Ashley. They thought it was pretty humorous that there were three of us there with the same last name, a Mom and 2 daughters. So, when we were approaching the Finish Line at the walk, he announced over the speakers, "Here come the _____s"!

Just as he said that, Brent was walking toward the finish line and he just fell into step with the three of us and asked us what we were talking about. At the same time, my sister and I both said, "You!". He laughed and asked was it good or bad. My sister said we were discussing Kobe's flagrant against him the night before. Brent said it sure surprised him, but Kobe told him later on the court that he didn't mean anything by it and he was sorry. Anyway, he walked along with us for a little while talking and then someone called him aside to get a picture. It was so cool! He is such a fun guy, so laid back, easy-going, and down-to-earth.

Later, when we were getting our number patches autographed, my Mom asked Brent if he'd put his # on there with his signature. He looked up at this 72-yr old woman and dead-panned, "Home or cell?" Everybody nearby got a good chuckle from that. (she meant his jersey # :lol ).

Last year, my Mom got a medal in her age group because she finished the race. This year, some woman beat her out by 6 min, :rolleyes . We were on the way home from the race and my Mom said, "I bet that old woman has TWO LUNGS!" (My Mom lost one of her lungs to cancer). She is always cracking wise about that.

angel_luv
03-13-2006, 11:16 AM
Later, when we were getting our number patches autographed, my Mom asked Brent if he'd put his # on there with his signature. He looked up at this 72-yr old woman and dead-panned, "Home or cell?" Everybody nearby got a good chuckle from that. (she meant his jersey # ).

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

If only getting player's numbers was so easy. :angel

hahaha Good stuff! :)

Sorry I missed you.
Hopefully I'll see you and some of the rest of these guys there next year. :)