PDA

View Full Version : Spurs fans in Austin

bobntx
03-12-2006, 11:50 PM
Does anyone know about a good place/bar to watch Spurs games in Austin? I've lived here for a while and still can't find a good place. I've tried a few bars, but some didn't even know about the game. And on the off chance that the place is showing the game, no one there seems to care. I am looking for a place to find other Spurs fans.

In past seasons, any games shown on WB35 in SA were also shown on the WB12 here. They are not doing that this year so I'm missing alot of good games.

leemajors
03-13-2006, 12:26 AM
i know chumpdumper goes to legends and sometimes aussie's. i think showplace lanes got a whole bunch of hdtv's recently too. if you have the cash and can stand all the phonies or just live close, ringer's has a good setup but shitty clientele. i usually just listen to non-televised games on sirius or 1260 AM, but then again i have a 12 month old daughter and can't get out to sports bars much...

Giddyup
03-13-2006, 12:35 AM
My experience is WB games are shown in Austin only on Saturday and Sunday. We went once to The Fox and The Hound on 4th street to see a game, and there were some Spurs fans there. Also I think The Tavern would be good (12th and Lamar)...

leemajors
03-13-2006, 12:50 AM
tavern used to be good, but after the fire they rearranged the upstrairs part pretty shitty from what i remember - the tvs are all in a row and really hard to see from areas, especially if it's busy. they show games on wb on some other days, but it's pretty random. they also occasionally show them on nbc, same feed.

Budkin
03-13-2006, 12:57 AM
Someone on these forums told me that Ringers was a good place but I've also had people tell me that it was terrible. I've been to both BW3 and Pluckers to watch games too. Of the two I'd have to say BW3 was better set up to enjoy the game (you can sit along the balcony bar and watch the big screen), though Pluckers has more TVs.

Louae
03-13-2006, 01:34 AM
when i lived in austin, i loved pluckers. the projection screen and the big beers. I couldn't beat the deal they had on the beers.

ChumpDumper
03-13-2006, 04:12 AM
I live about a block or two from Legends right now, so I'll probably go there when I want to get my drink on. If you live way north, Fast Eddie's in Round Rock shows all the games on nice enough TVs but usually without sound - always some real fans there though. I'll likely try Rhino and Jocks soon. Wherever you want to go, call ahead and make sure they have the NBA package on their satellite.

I don't live too far from Pluckers on 183 either. I should give them a try; I have like 10 coupons for free wings I got whenever the Toros won a game.

leemajors
03-13-2006, 08:58 AM
ringers has a lot of really nice tvs, it's just a pretentious frat boy kinda place. i went there once almost 2 years ago and haven't gone back. does pluckers have any decent beer on tap? i am kinda a beer snob...

Loose Cannon
03-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Fox and Hound on 4th. Gets super crowded during the playoffs.

The Tavern is OK, but some of the TVs on the upper levels are really small. Ringers is great but crowded and expensive always. They have by far the best TVs and setup (plasma HD televisions).

The Warehouse down on Ben White is OK. Not the best TVs, it's projection and not the best quality picture, but it's not bad, there is plenty of seating, and it's cheap.

Fox and Hound is my favorite but you have to get there early to get a seat, and it gets packed.

GoSpurs21
03-13-2006, 12:16 PM
Fast Eddies on 35 just south of Round Rock
there are about 8 of us that show up to all locally non broadcasted games.

Rhino's and Jocks in North Round Rock also shows the games

leemajors
03-13-2006, 12:17 PM
weird, i never see many people at fox and hound when i pass by... when i'm down there i'm headed to the ginger man, they are expensive but the selection is worth it, you can always finish up with a st. arnold's root beer - delicious stuff in bottle or on tap...

dmac
03-13-2006, 04:32 PM
ringers has a lot of really nice tvs, it's just a pretentious frat boy kinda place. i went there once almost 2 years ago and haven't gone back. does pluckers have any decent beer on tap? i am kinda a beer snob...
if you want a selection of beer on tap try the Gingerman on either 4th or 5th, I can never remember!

check this beer list:

http://www.gingermanpub.com/austin/a-frame.html

leemajors
03-13-2006, 05:20 PM
if you want a selection of beer on tap try the Gingerman on either 4th or 5th, I can never remember!

check this beer list:

http://www.gingermanpub.com/austin/a-frame.html

i like both the ginger man and the draught house on medical. draught house is closer and cheaper - no one can hang with the ginger man selection wise, but it's $5 a pint i think. draught horse has the 2nd best selection i can think of in town, plus i know a few of the bartenders and can get free house beers, which are sometimes quite good.

Loose Cannon
03-13-2006, 05:23 PM
weird, i never see many people at fox and hound when i pass by... when i'm down there i'm headed to the ginger man, they are expensive but the selection is worth it, you can always finish up with a st. arnold's root beer - delicious stuff in bottle or on tap...

It's not really that bad for regular season games. It's the playoffs when everyone comes out. The Friday and Saturday night games are a zoo in there.

bobntx
03-13-2006, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the replies. I've never tried Fast Eddies and it's been a while since I've been to Legends. I'll give them a try.

I live close to Plucker's on 183/Burnet so I go there when I have the urge to meet friends to watch a game. I was disappointed with the turnout on 3/9 against the Suns which is why I am looking for a better place. The draft beer selection there is very limited, mostly lite beers and Shiner. They do have good deals, like $2 Mexican beers on Thurday and the 34 oz. motherplucker mugs.

I agree that Gingerman and Draught House have the best selections in town. Draught House currently has Biere de Mars(a seasonal beer from makers of Fat Tire)on tap. It's good stuff. They stop making it at the end of March.

Thanks again for the replies. It's good to see there are still some Spurs fans here.