PDA

View Full Version : Isaac "Chef" Hayes Quits 'South Park' Over Show's Take On Religion

Mr. Peabody
03-13-2006, 05:13 PM
Isaac Hayes Quits 'South Park'
By ERIN CARLSON, Associated Press Writer
4 minutes ago

Isaac Hayes has quit "South Park," where he voices Chef, saying he can no longer stomach its take on religion.

Hayes, who has played the ladies' man/school cook in the animated Comedy Central satire since 1997, said in a statement Monday that he feels a line has been crossed.

"There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins," the 63-year-old soul singer and outspoken Scientologist said.

"Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored," he continued. "As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."

"South Park" co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem — and he's cashed plenty of checks — with our show making fun of Christians."

Last November, "South Park" targeted the Church of Scientology and its celebrity followers, including actors Tom Cruise and John Travolta, in a top-rated episode called "Trapped in the Closet." In the episode, Stan, one of the show's four mischievous fourth graders, is hailed as a reluctant savior by Scientology leaders, while a cartoon Cruise locks himself in a closet and won't come out.

Stone told The AP he and co-creator Trey Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin."

ObiwanGinobili
03-13-2006, 05:22 PM
ok.
I'm sorry.
but my respect for Issac Hayes has just plumeted big time.

Beofre I even got this part of the article
"South Park" co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem — and he's cashed plenty of checks — with our show making fun of Christians."
I was thiniing the same thing...

like "wait a min... havn;t they had a bunch of shows makign fun of christians? evangelists? jews? jesus?.... and now all of a sudden Issac Hayes has a problem with it??"

then Bingo! the article reminded me of the Scientology episode and informed me that Issac Hayes is a scientologist.. .and it all came together.

[/interior dialogue]

Mixability
03-13-2006, 05:24 PM
what's Southpark?

:)

but seriously, I've never watched more than 5 min of an episode.

Hot Teen
03-13-2006, 05:26 PM
Your missing out its a good show.

ObiwanGinobili
03-13-2006, 05:28 PM
scientology is ridiculous

how dare you show disrespect for thier religion!
damn it show some class! if only you would listen to thier message.

really! how can you possibly refute the FACT (fact i tell you! ) that we are all aliens imprisioned on this planet and are just subverting these human bodies to our every need??

Mixability
03-13-2006, 05:28 PM

Simpsons >>>>>> Southpark
:fro

ObiwanGinobili
03-13-2006, 05:29 PM

hot teen... uhm.. does that chick have a dick in that pic?

Mixability
03-13-2006, 05:31 PM

good eye!

:vomit

tlongII
03-13-2006, 05:37 PM
how dare you show disrespect for thier religion!
damn it show some class! if only you would listen to thier message.

really! how can you possibly refute the FACT (fact i tell you! ) that we are all aliens imprisioned on this planet and are just subverting these human bodies to our every need??

sounds like something Julianne Moore would say...

Hot Teen
03-13-2006, 05:40 PM
Good thing I don't offend easy. No I don't have a penis.

Mixability
03-13-2006, 05:41 PM
No I don't have a penis.

Then you have a HUGE camel toe!

Hot Teen
03-13-2006, 05:50 PM
Then you have a HUGE camel toe!Thats rude. I have a little small camel toe and you'll never see it.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-13-2006, 05:54 PM
wow, pretty interesting. Why on earth would isaac hayes become a scientologist. I swear, when they do those personality testing they subliminally charm you to join them.

ObiwanGinobili
03-13-2006, 06:01 PM
sounds like something Julianne Moore would say...

one of these days I shall kill that bitch.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Then you have a HUGE camel toe!
Ever the charmer, Danyo

Chef
03-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Don't worry childrun, i'll always be in your heart and i know none of you will ever forget my chocolate salty balls.

To hell with those crazy scientologists anyways. Damn cracka church.

Dead or not, LRonHubbard can kiss my black ass.

KEDA
03-13-2006, 07:00 PM
FAMILY GUY is so much better

South Park is just vulgar now, it lost all of its humor about 3 seasons ago.

E20
03-13-2006, 07:42 PM
Who is the man that no one understands but his women..........SHAFT

That shaft he's one bad muthaaaa..........shut yo mouth...........I was only talking about shaft.

DieMrBond
03-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Hooray for a religion designed to make a science fiction writer rich!

Pfht... :devil

Spurminator
03-13-2006, 08:10 PM
I highly doubt this was 100% his decision...

Still, too bad.

T Park
03-13-2006, 08:26 PM
Scientology is the biggest bunch of BS.

Its made up. Its fake. There is nothing to back it up.

I just find it hilarious, how its OK to bash christians, its ok to bash the hell out of them, but when it comes to their own religon, ohhh noooo, dont you DARE!!!!

Vashner
03-13-2006, 08:29 PM
New season must have so juicy stuff.

I hope they make a team Amerika part 2 too.

Spurminator
03-13-2006, 08:32 PM
It's clear that he was pressured by the Church to quit the show.

If it had really been a personal decision, he would have quit soon after the taping or airing of the Scientology episode. That episode aired in November and several shows aired after it.

midgetonadonkey
03-13-2006, 08:47 PM
The chick in Hot Teen's sig definetly has a bulge. Maybe he is into trannys.

Oh yeah, Issac Hayes is a fucking douche.

ObiwanGinobili
03-13-2006, 09:01 PM
The chick in Hot Teen's sig definetly has a bulge. Maybe he is into trannys.

Oh yeah, Issac Hayes is a fucking douche.

thats what I was saying.

midgetonadonkey
03-13-2006, 09:02 PM
She even has a dude face.

exstatic
03-13-2006, 09:14 PM
Scientology is the biggest bunch of BS.

Its made up. Its fake. There is nothing to back it up.
What, exactly, is there to back up Christianity or Judaism? A book written by some nomadic herder people multiple thousands of years ago?

I just find it hilarious, how its OK to bash christians, its ok to bash the hell out of them, but when it comes to their own religon, ohhh noooo, dont you DARE!!!!
That's any religion, TPark.

Has anyone noticed that the newer the religion, the weirder? LDS and Scientology are just OUT THERE.

Trainwreck2100
03-13-2006, 09:39 PM
I don't respect scientology, mostly because any kind of religion that forces you to give money, is just wrong. But I do respect that people believe in it.

As for Isaac Hayes, I wonder if the South Park guys are going to do an episode burning him.

Marklar MM
03-13-2006, 10:13 PM
I don't respect scientology, mostly because any kind of religion that forces you to give money, is just wrong. But I do respect that people believe in it.

As for Isaac Hayes, I wonder if the South Park guys are going to do an episode burning him.

Hell...they probably will. Like, replace chef with some old lady like the one in Billy Madison with the "SCHLOPPY JOES"...then bake the other chef and have him turn metrosexual or something, or go through Mr. Garrison treatment.

ObiwanGinobili
03-13-2006, 10:39 PM
She even has a dude face.

yes, but it's the small penis in the panties that gives it away.

exstatic
03-14-2006, 12:03 AM

I don't think it's a matter of "if", but rather a matter of "when".

2Blonde
03-14-2006, 12:04 AM
It's clear that he was pressured by the Church to quit the show.

If it had really been a personal decision, he would have quit soon after the taping or airing of the Scientology episode. That episode aired in November and several shows aired after it.

Now that makes a lot of sense !! I'll bet they came down hard on him after that aired and really started pressuring him to come forward and make some sort of statement for their cause.

SequSpur
03-14-2006, 12:56 AM
I don't believe in religions anymore because they just separate people.

I do believe in the Word though.

South Park is funny, off the hook and insane. I like it.

braeden0613
03-14-2006, 12:58 AM
Simpsons >>>>>> Southpark
:fro
:elephant i second that!

Arthur
03-14-2006, 01:14 AM

Nothing like a good tranny early in the A.M. eh, dear?

T-Pain
03-14-2006, 01:14 AM
sucks to see chef go, but im glad its for a good reason

Ginofan
03-14-2006, 09:57 AM
That's a bunch of B.S. As a fan since season 1, I'm hurt. Isaac is the definition of hypocrite. I hope they do something really disgusting and awful yet insanely hillarious to Chef.

pache100
03-14-2006, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I heard this on the radio yesterday. I have to say, I'm a little disappointed in Isaac Hayes. Too bad, I'm a long-time fan. I just don't have much patience with religious fanaticism of any flavor.

I don't have any problem with spoofing just about anything. The more we laugh at ourselves, the more human we are (I know Southpark is a cartoon). But, I'd have a lot more respect for Isaac and his religiosity (is that a word?) if he'd protested the FIRST time ANY religion was spoofed.

Personally, I think Scientology is the third largest cult in this country; I don't consider cults true "religions". And this just smacks of the Scientologists telling people how to live their lives and what to do...like they have so many times in the past. Mind control.

T Park
03-14-2006, 05:53 PM
What, exactly, is there to back up Christianity or Judaism? A book written by some nomadic herder people multiple thousands of years ago

Scien freakin tology, was nothing but a bet, set up by another guy, saying "I bet you could'nt create a religion."

THATS IT!!!

Whats to back up the bible??

Scientific artifacts at said museums and what not I would say back up the ol bible.

Slomo
03-14-2006, 06:12 PM
Scien freakin tology, was nothing but a bet, set up by another guy, saying "I bet you could'nt create a religion."

THATS IT!!!

Whats to back up the bible??

Scientific artifacts at said museums and what not I would say back up the ol bible.name one!

Mr. Peabody
03-14-2006, 06:16 PM
name one!

The Shroud of Turin.

Slomo
03-14-2006, 06:22 PM
you're joking right?

The last I heard they can't even agree on its age.

Just for the record, I don't think that religion should be proven scientifically - I guess that's why it's called faith. But at the same time to use science as proof of legitimacy of one religion over another (even a cult like the Ron Hubbard choir) is funny.