PDA

View Full Version : Barry wouldn't trade improved status

Solid D
03-14-2006, 02:14 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA031406.1D.spurs.d51f62d.html

Barry wouldn't trade improved status

Web Posted: 03/14/2006 12:00 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
San Antonio Express-News

Brent Barry won't spend much time tonight envisioning what he would have looked like in a New Orleans Hornets uniform. Everyone else has done it for him.

Nearly traded for guard J.R. Smith almost three weeks ago, Barry has made the Spurs thankful they kept him. In the 10 games since the deal unraveled, he has averaged 6.7 points, 3.2 rebounds and 2.8 assists in 18.6 minutes.

What the stats don't measure is the energy Barry has provided. He missed his four shots in Sunday's victory over Houston but twice blocked shots by Luther Head. In the first quarter, he ran down an errant pass from Rafer Alston before rifling the ball ahead to Beno Udrih, who buried a 3-pointer at the buzzer.

"He's been determined to be a threat when he catches the basketball, either to shoot or to drive," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "Just in general, he's competing and playing, rather than thinking and wondering."

Not that Barry hasn't had a lot to wonder about. On the morning of the Spurs' Feb. 23 trip to Memphis, Popovich told him there was a good chance he would be traded.
Although the Spurs didn't tell Barry where he might be headed, they were working to send him to New Orleans for Smith, 20, and Arvydas Macijauskas, a 26-year-old rookie who has been unable to play his way into the Hornets' rotation.

But when the Hornets traded Bostjan Nachbar for New Jersey's Marc Jackson and Linton Johnson III, they were $50,000 short of the cap room needed to absorb the difference between Barry's salary and those of Smith and Macijauskas. Scrambling, the Spurs and Hornets asked Atlanta to take New Orleans forward Jackson Vroman.

But with Hawks general manager Billy Knight at a funeral, the teams ran out of time.

Told the trade was off, Barry joined the Spurs at the airport. The next night, he helped rally them past Memphis with seven points, five rebounds and three assists in 21 minutes — his most in a month.

Barry has been traded twice in his career, including once in the middle of the season, but this was the first time he rejoined a team knowing it had tried to move him but was unsuccessful.

"Pop is honest with guys, and guys respect that about him," Barry said. "Who knows, in hindsight, if I hadn't been told and didn't know about it, maybe he wouldn't have given me any minutes after everything shook down."

Robert Horry can relate. Houston traded him to Detroit for Sean Elliott midway through the 1993-94 season only to have the deal rescinded two days later when Elliott failed a physical.

Horry already had joined the Pistons when he was told to go back to Houston. He ended up helping the Rockets to two consecutive championships.

"I came back with an I-don't-care attitude," Horry said. "If I had an open shot, I was taking it. I think that helped me."

The failed trade also taught Horry an important lesson: The NBA is a business. That knowledge helped him become a more relaxed player. Missed shots didn't upset him. His anger over losses didn't linger as long.

"I think this has helped Brent a little, too," Horry said. "Sometimes you need an eye-opener."

Barry acknowledged the difficult situation has been motivation — "I think you hold onto that," he said, "and use it when you need to" — but he's playing better because he's playing.

Before the trade deadline, Barry had lost his spot in the rotation. Popovich since has gone to using four players at the two wing positions instead of three.

Barry's minutes aren't consistent — after a season-high 16 points in 19 minutes against the Los Angeles Lakers, he played eight minutes Sunday — but he usually has contributed. His goal now is to improve his shooting.

"To be in rhythm, you have to play, and to play, you have to be in rhythm," he said. "I was never good with the Rubik's Cube, so I'm having trouble with this one, too."

Barry has appreciated the support he's received, though he can do without the pity.

"People come up to me and say, 'I'm so happy you're still here,'" he said. "Hey, it's business. I understand. I don't need my hand held."

Although Smith would have made the Spurs younger and more athletic, he may have lacked the experience to help this season. The team likely will address its aging perimeter corps — through the draft, trades or free agency — again this summer.

For his part, Barry has waited too long to be on a winning team to want to leave. The past three weeks also have proven he can help the Spurs.

"Who knows?" he said. "It might be one game, one shot, one block, one steal. All those things can make a difference."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

ducks
03-14-2006, 07:56 AM
go barry

Lebowski Brickowski
03-14-2006, 09:53 AM
Wasn't it Brent who blocked Billup's shot in the 4th quarter of Game 7 last year? That play (and Manu's breakaway dunk) sealed the championship. I think Barry Barry has always been a smart, aggressive player. Last year was his first as a role player and the Spurs' playbook is most likely the thickest he's ever had to learn. I think he's been thinking waaaay too much how to be a "smart" player in the Spurs' system and has never just cut loose. Maybe the failed trade will do for him what it did for Horry back in the day and Brent will just say, "F*** it." This summer we just might be cheering for "Big Shot Brent".

TwoHandJam
03-14-2006, 10:01 AM
It was Bowen who blocked Billups.

wildbill2u
03-14-2006, 10:08 AM
Barry has some intangibles beyond shooting, passing and veteran's knowledge of the game.

His great sense of humor keeps the locker room loose

pache100
03-14-2006, 10:09 AM
Barry has some intangibles beyond shooting, passing and veteran's knowledge of the game.

His great sense of humor keeps the locker room loose

He is also GREAT for community relations.

easjer
03-14-2006, 10:12 AM
I'm really glad he's still here. And that he's finally playing well. I've always liked him on the court because things run more smoothly. And he's funny as hell.

angel_luv
03-14-2006, 11:09 AM
Barry has appreciated the support he's received, though he can do without the pity.

"People come up to me and say, 'I'm so happy you're still here,'" he said. "Hey, it's business. I understand. I don't need my hand held."

:wow Maybe it wasn't a bad thing I forgot to tell him that Saturday. I am glad he's here though.

:)

timvp
03-14-2006, 03:45 PM
Wasn't it Brent who blocked Billup's shot in the 4th quarter of Game 7 last year?

No, I believe it was Steve Kerr.

T Park
03-14-2006, 04:37 PM
But when the Hornets traded Bostjan Nachbar for New Jersey's Marc Jackson and Linton Johnson III, they were $50,000 short of the cap room needed to absorb the difference between Barry's salary and those of Smith and Macijauskas. Scrambling, the Spurs and Hornets asked Atlanta to take New Orleans forward Jackson Vroman.

But with Hawks general manager Billy Knight at a funeral, the teams ran out of time.

damn damn damn damn damn damn damn

had Knight NOT been at a funeral, this deal would've been done.

the Spurs would've added a GREAT shooter in Macijauskas, and a great SF replacement in JR Smith.

DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigVee
03-14-2006, 04:41 PM
Maybe. But the fact that Smith never smells the court must mean something.

kskonn
03-14-2006, 04:55 PM

:lol
:smokin

ChumpDumper
03-14-2006, 05:03 PM
Maybe. But the fact that Smith never smells the court must mean something.Yeah, Byron Scott hated Stephen Jackson too.

That said, we have a great shooter right now in Barry who is doing more since the all-star break than Arvydas could ever do. Not having Smith doesn't make much difference this season, and there's a very good chance this deal could be revisted in the summer. To do the same deal we'd have to wait for NOLA to sign or dispose of the rest of their free agents, or maybe more players or other teams could get involved. These guys are never going to be out of Scott's doghouse.

T Park
03-14-2006, 05:39 PM
we have a great shooter right now in Barry who is doing more since the all-star break than Arvydas could ever do

arvydas I don't think, would have zeros across his statline like ol Brent did last year against Seattle.

Kori Ellis
03-14-2006, 05:42 PM
arvydas I don't think, would have zeros across his statline like ol Brent did last year against Seattle.

Arvydas hasn't even been good enough to spend all season in the NBA. He spent some time in the DLeague, right?

He's shooting 36 percent from the floor and 25 percent from 3.

ChumpDumper
03-14-2006, 05:43 PM
He's have quite a few 0fers this season. I've been as critical of Barry as anyone, but I won't pretend Arvydas would do any better in the same situations.

timvp
03-14-2006, 05:44 PM
Barry >>>> Arvydas

ChumpDumper
03-14-2006, 05:45 PM
And he didn't spend any time in the D-League. You may have him confused with Martynas Andriuskevicius, who did some time in Arkansas.

Kori Ellis
03-14-2006, 05:51 PM
And he didn't spend any time in the D-League. You may have him confused with Martynas Andriuskevicius, who did some time in Arkansas.

Yeah maybe. With all those DNP-CD's maybe Arvydas should have gone to the DLeague.

smeagol
03-14-2006, 05:54 PM
Brent is coming around :tu

T Park
03-14-2006, 06:01 PM
He's shooting 36 percent from the floor and 25 percent from 3.

Yeah but Arydas's problem is Byron scott.

No PT, only PT in blowouts.

Totally opposite of Brent Barry.

If Arvydas got some run here in the league, hed show hes a good shooter.

Those great years in europe can't be wrong.

Of course, Oberto had great years.....

samikeyp
03-14-2006, 06:08 PM

Vinny Del Negro.

Bruno
03-14-2006, 06:55 PM
Not having Smith doesn't make much difference this season, and there's a very good chance this deal could be revisted in the summer.

I agree with that. If we can make this trade this summer, it's even better for us than have done this trade in February.

Arvydas can help Spurs but it's not better than Beno at SG.
Arvydas isn't way bigger than Beno and Beno is too a great shooter.

exstatic
03-14-2006, 07:23 PM
OK, Arvydas wasn't the fucking showpiece of this deal, J.R. Smith was. Byron Scott is just an insecure little weenie that has to go strong on young players to show who's boss instead of just running his team. There is no way you should permanently bench a promising young player for some team infractions. He learns NOTHING if he never sees the court again, exept that you're an asshole. Benchings should be for a finite period of time, a game or a few games, and to teach a lesson.

cs100
03-14-2006, 07:40 PM
OK, Arvydas wasn't the fucking showpiece of this deal, J.R. Smith was. Byron Scott is just an insecure little weenie that has to go strong on young players to show who's boss instead of just running his team. There is no way you should permanently bench a promising young player for some team infractions. He learns NOTHING if he never sees the court again, exept that you're an asshole. Benchings should be for a finite period of time, a game or a few games, and to teach a lesson.
Another Darko??

I am very glad the trade didn't go through. As Horry said in the article about his failed trade, his game was more relaxed. I think that is what Brent is doing. He really wants to stay with SA until his contract is up and he retires. He has a very high BB IQ, is a great ball handler and has recently shown that he can still drive to the basket as well as hit the three point shots. His defense is also much better than last year.

He may be traded in the summer, which would be sad, but I am probably as grateful as he is that he is still a Spur. :)

Please_dont_ban_me
03-14-2006, 08:24 PM
It was Bowen who blocked Billups.

Yep.

After Billups repeatedly violated TP, they brought Bowen over on him.

Brent is a great player. Well, was a great player. Seems he just lacked confidence for some reason. The guy can dish the ball, he can hit 3's. That's when he's on, when he's not...he's passing up open 3's, a defensive liability, and not getting in the lane.

Like the article said, he needed this eye-opener. He's responded.

exstatic
03-14-2006, 09:18 PM
Another Darko??

I am very glad the trade didn't go through. As Horry said in the article about his failed trade, his game was more relaxed. I think that is what Brent is doing. He really wants to stay with SA until his contract is up and he retires. He has a very high BB IQ, is a great ball handler and has recently shown that he can still drive to the basket as well as hit the three point shots. His defense is also much better than last year.

He may be traded in the summer, which would be sad, but I am probably as grateful as he is that he is still a Spur. :)

You might not be glad in two years when every Spurs wing player is over 30. This was a perfect opportunity to get some mad youth on the wing, the area where they desperately need some. Smith has mad hops and shoots better than Barry from downtown this year.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-14-2006, 09:23 PM
You might not be glad in two years when every Spurs wing player is over 30. This was a perfect opportunity to get some mad youth on the wing, the area where they desperately need some. Smith has mad hops and shoots better than Barry from downtown this year.

I don't think we've ever really had any "young" players other than Manu or TP. We've always put the Avery's, the Elliots, the Perdues, the Bowens around our star (timmy).

You really don't NEED to add younger players, every 2-3 years you can re-tool. But, that said...I would go after this kid Smith in a heartbeat. Losing Barry won't be devestating to this team, by any stretch of the imagination.

exstatic
03-14-2006, 11:32 PM
I don't think we've ever really had any "young" players other than Manu or TP. We've always put the Avery's, the Elliots, the Perdues, the Bowens around our star (timmy).

You really don't NEED to add younger players, every 2-3 years you can re-tool. But, that said...I would go after this kid Smith in a heartbeat. Losing Barry won't be devestating to this team, by any stretch of the imagination.
:lol Sean wasn't always old and broken down. Elliott was an exciting young wing player here once. I'd like to see that again in SA.

To clarify, I'm referring to wing players. Tony isn't in that category. The Spurs really only have three positions: post, wing, and PG. The Center/PF positions (posts) are interchangeable and the SF/SG(wings) positions are interchangeable.

timvp
03-15-2006, 02:00 AM
Barry is playing very well. That said, you trade him this summer no questions asked.

Mr. Body
03-15-2006, 02:01 AM
The Spurs clearly aim to get some youth on the wings. That's what the J.R. Smith trade was all about. They need some athleticism and fresh legs. They also don't want a repeat of what happened when Sean went down with the kidney failure -- they were years before they found their replacement. Remember Chucky Brown? They need to get going on an apprentice replacement ASAP.

I'm sure there are players around the league they'd love to pry away -- the Nocionis, the Pietruses.

Vashner
03-15-2006, 02:02 AM
He was working it tonight that's 4 sure. Did you see that fast dunk and almost half court shot?

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 02:06 AM
:lol Sean wasn't always old and broken down. Elliott was an exciting young wing player here once. I'd like to see that again in SA.

To clarify, I'm referring to wing players. Tony isn't in that category. The Spurs really only have three positions: post, wing, and PG. The Center/PF positions (posts) are interchangeable and the SF/SG(wings) positions are interchangeable.

He wasn't really that exciting in our glory years. He was more of a corner 3-pt shooter, who had a quick step and could get to the bucket if he had to. He also played good D.

cs100
03-15-2006, 04:08 AM
Sean Elliot was an all star and was very exciting to watch, especially with David Robinson. His number is retired along with other "non exciting players from our glory days". :rolleyes