PDA

View Full Version : New strategy for Heat: Shaq watches 4th quarter from bench

ducks
03-14-2006, 10:40 AM
New strategy for Heat: Shaq watches 4th quarter from bench
New strategy for Heat: Shaq watches 4th quarter from bench

By STEVEN WINE, AP Sports Writer
March 13, 2006

MIAMI (AP) -- Here's a headline: Pat sat Shaq.

Trying to coax another comeback from his Miami Heat, Pat Riley left Shaquille O'Neal on the bench for 9 1/2 minutes in the fourth quarter, testing a new tactic and perhaps the relationship between superstar coach and superstar center.

ADVERTISEMENT

"That's once in a lifetime right there," guard Dwyane Wade said Monday. "There are not many times when Shaq has been on the bench in the fourth quarter."

The novel ploy worked. Backup center Alonzo Mourning sparked the Heat, who overcame a seven-point deficit in the fourth quarter Sunday to beat Cleveland, 98-92.

It was the fifth time in sixth games that Miami overcame a halftime deficit to win, and this time the rally came without O'Neal. He played for only 2:36 in the final period and didn't take a shot.

"That was a game situation," Riley said. "He's supposed to be on the court, but I had a hard time taking anybody off the court at that time, because we were down and then we went ahead by eight. As a coach, you're going to ride that lineup as long as you can."

For the second day in a row, O'Neal declined to talk with reporters Monday, fueling speculation he was unhappy about watching the end of the game from the bench.

Maybe he was merely miffed at his play, which included five turnovers and trouble defending Zydrunas Ilgauskas. O'Neal finished with 18 points and eight rebounds in 29 minutes.

"I think Shaq is the kind of person that he respects Alonzo bringing energy," Wade said. "At times like that, when you've got a guy rolling like Zo was at both ends of the floor, he was needed in the game."

It might reflect a decline in O'Neal's play, considering that a 36-year-old kidney transplant recipient gives the Heat more energy at center. O'Neal is headed for career lows in points (20.0) and rebounds (9.4) per game.

But with Miami leading the Southeast Division by 9 1/2 games, perhaps O'Neal merely wants to make sure he has plenty in the tank come the playoffs.

Even after finishing a game with a flourish, Mourning sees himself as part of O'Neal's supporting cast.

"We've been on big fellow's shoulders the whole year," Mourning said. "We expect him to help us get where we need to go, and that's to the finals. But we know he can't do it by himself. Man, he just turned 34."

Before O'Neal went to the bench for most of the fourth quarter, he spent 4 1/2 minutes on the floor with Mourning -- the first time Riley has used the two centers in tandem this season. Miami outscored Cleveland 13-8 during that stretch.

Riley has talked often about experimenting with the combination. He said he'll likely try it again, despite potential matchup problems for Miami's defense.

"We can create problems for the other team defensively, too," Riley said. "There's a little package that I have that we're going to put in that I think would be effective. As long as you have three shooters and playmakers and ballhandlers with them, I think it could be a good lineup."

For O'Neal, it beats sitting on the bench

boutons_
03-14-2006, 02:04 PM
Fat Shaq's got no juice in the tank to go more than 30 mpg, which is all he's avging this season.

ducks
03-14-2006, 02:33 PM
this is why kobe got the ball in the 4 when he was a laker

T-Pain
03-14-2006, 02:39 PM
what a strateegy

1Parker1
03-14-2006, 08:22 PM

People seem to forget that. Granted, Shaq was awesome for quarters 1-3, but more often than not it was Kobe who closed out teams in the 4th quarter. IMO, that's what made the Lakers and Kobe and Shaq so successful.

1Parker1
03-14-2006, 08:23 PM
God, I really, really miss the Lakers rivalry. Anyone else think the Lakers would still be the Spurs strongest competitors if Shaq wasn't traded? You think Shaq could have still gotten more done these past two years with Kobe than he has with Wade in Miami?

Obstructed_View
03-14-2006, 09:36 PM
That's ridiculous. Kobe got the ball because he is probably the most clutch player in the NBA and it's smart basketball. That said, Shaq got the ball down low plenty at the end of games in spite of the fact that he can't shoot free throws.

nkdlunch
03-15-2006, 11:24 AM
yeah Kobe had the ball because shaq would get triple teamed and maybe hacked. And who was the more important defensive force in the 4th? Kobe or Shaq?

mavsfan1000
03-15-2006, 04:59 PM
Yeah the only team I can really hate now is the spurs. Before it was the lakers but since than not many hated teams in the nba. The lakers and spurs was a great rivalry while it lasted.