PDA

View Full Version : Airlines to charge extra for aisle seats?

CosmicCowboy
03-14-2006, 04:24 PM
ya gotta be shittin me...that is just going too far...

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=businessNews&storyid=2006-03-14T202756Z_01_N14363358_RTRUKOC_0_US-AIRLINES-FEES.xml&rpc=23

T Park
03-14-2006, 04:40 PM
if theyd build new refineries, making more fuel, more fuel would be allotted so the prices would go down.

But also how they are ran is another thing.

Look at Southwest, they produce a profit every quarter.

But fuel prices are out of control, and the govt needs to start dropping the gas tax, and start allowing more refineries to be built, PERIOD.

tlongII
03-14-2006, 04:42 PM
if theyd build new refineries, making more fuel, more fuel would be allotted so the prices would go down.

But also how they are ran is another thing.

Look at Southwest, they produce a profit every quarter.

But fuel prices are out of control, and the govt needs to start dropping the gas tax, and start allowing more refineries to be built, PERIOD.

The largest single expense for an airline is labor.

T-Pain
03-14-2006, 04:43 PM
i hardly get to fly alot, but whats the benefit of sitting next to the aisle? i always like to sit by the window

T Park
03-14-2006, 04:45 PM
The largest single expense for an airline is labor

and another example of outdated unions ruining more american companies.

Marklar MM
03-14-2006, 04:49 PM
They showed that on the news. Tall people liked it because it gives them more leg room.

CosmicCowboy
03-14-2006, 04:49 PM
i hardly get to fly alot, but whats the benefit of sitting next to the aisle? i always like to sit by the window

If you were 6'5" like I am you would know the answer to that one....
:lol

pache100
03-14-2006, 04:53 PM

I fly pretty frequently, but I prefer window seats, too. Not because I can see out, but because I can't stand to have someone's ass in my face when they crawl across me to get out if I'm in the middle; on the aisle, at least you can stand up. I just don't like aisle seats because of everyone brushing against you when they pass by, including the cabin attendants with that infernal drink cart. At least in the window seat, you have your own little space. It's probably been 20 yrs since I used an airplane restroom (and that was because I was sick). I go before I get on an airplane, and I control the amount of liquid intake so I don't have to. I'm also short, and have very short legs, so I don't need a lot of leg room.

I understand why some people want to sit on the aisle. People who have bladder problems and need to go to the rest room frequently, tall people, people who work inflight (on a lap top or writing) and need the ability to have their arm free most of the time. We had a director who was left-handed and she always wanted to sit on the right side of the plane because she was always writing on the flights (this was before lap tops). I also had a boss who was about 6' 4" tall and he liked the aisle (preferably on the emergency exit row) seat so he could put his leg out there.

Slomo
03-14-2006, 05:16 PM
ya gotta be shittin me...that is just going too far...

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=businessNews&storyid=2006-03-14T202756Z_01_N14363358_RTRUKOC_0_US-AIRLINES-FEES.xml&rpc=23:flipoff http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/Emoticons/angry.gifhttp://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/Emoticons/no_no.gif

Melmart1
03-14-2006, 05:31 PM
T-Park, every airline has had HUGE labor cutbacks and asked employees like flight attendants, who get paid less than the peanuts they serve, to cut back on their benefits. The unions are not causing these problems, its corporate.

The suits continue to get bonuses and raises every year, despite losses and asking those who earn less like ticketing agents to take huge cuts in pay and benefits. If they stopped giving themselves raises and millions in bonuses each year, maybe their bottom line wouldnt look so effing bad.

Delta is notorious for this. As a former airline ticketing agent (for an independent company), I have not flown Delta since 9/11. I fly Southwest exclusively, they go everywhere I need to go. They treat employees and customers the right way and have reasonable prices and rules. Once Jet Blue flies to SA, I will fly them as well. If Alaska flew out of SA, I would use them. The rest of the domestic airlines are all full of shit.

T Park
03-14-2006, 05:34 PM
The unions are not causing these problems, its corporate.

right right.

Tell that to Ford and GM workers.

Melmart1
03-14-2006, 05:35 PM
I'm sorry.. I thought this was a discussion about AIRLINES. My bad.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-14-2006, 05:36 PM

You can't slap the flight attendant's ass when she walks by if you're sitting by the window.

COME ON NOW, SON. . .THINK!!

T Park
03-14-2006, 05:37 PM
I'm sorry.. I thought this was a discussion about AIRLINES. My bad.

it is.

Automaker's unions are equally as stupid.

As are air traffic controllers.

Melmart1
03-14-2006, 05:41 PM
Right. But I don't know jack about those unions, and I wasn't talking about them. For the airlines, the problem is 8 milion dollar bonuses four months after 9/11. Or continued bonuses and raises while they are bleeding money. For airlines, the problem is corporate. THe unions have bent over and taken it in the ass for the suits.

T Park
03-14-2006, 05:44 PM
THe unions have bent over and taken it in the ass for the suits.

right.

The man, has been holding them down.

Peter
03-14-2006, 05:47 PM
Perhaps, sometimes, the company has bad management?

T Park
03-14-2006, 05:48 PM
No question about it.

I agreed with that above when I said it seems like Southwest, and I forgot about Jet Blue, are the only ones that make money, because they manage the company right and dont give a shiznit about the unions.

Melmart1
03-14-2006, 05:51 PM
Ok.. first you blatantly dismiss my assertion that suits are responsible for problems in the AIRLINE INDUSTRY ONLY by comparing them to auto unions, which is ridiculous. Two different things, apples to oranges.

But then, you dismiss it by making it a corporate vs. peon issue? Suits CAN be wrong. This had nothing to do with them being rich or corporate.. it has to do with them continuing to get rich by fucking over their workers and their customers. You always want to argue that people here say that it is a crime to be rich. There is no crime in being rich. Only in doing shady business in order to achieve the wealth.

Peter
03-14-2006, 05:54 PM
Southwest has unions to deal with.

Dell prospered while other PC makers held on to a less competitive model. It's not unheard of.

T Park
03-14-2006, 05:56 PM
You always want to argue that people here say that it is a crime to be rich. There is no crime in being rich. Only in doing shady business in order to achieve the wealth.

Cutting back on worker's wages is "shady"??

samikeyp
03-14-2006, 06:00 PM
as someone who has been in the travel biz since 1992, I can say that Mel is dead on.

Melmart1
03-14-2006, 06:02 PM
Cutting back on worker's wages is "shady"??

Cutting back on worker's wages while you get raises and get the American people to bail you out with billions in loans is SHADY.

Peter
03-14-2006, 06:05 PM
Cutting back on worker's wages while you get raises and get the American people to bail you out with billions in loans is SHADY.

We have a winner. Lest we forget trying to foist pension obligations on the public in order to subsidize your business.

T Park
03-14-2006, 06:08 PM
utting back on worker's wages while you get raises and get the American people to bail you out with billions in loans is SHADY

No, Id say, if you can continue to get away with it, because the government is so stupid, then Id say its smart. :lol

scott
03-14-2006, 06:39 PM
One step closer to complete free market pricing - I love it.