PDA

View Full Version : Is the Smith/Barry trade still alive?

Please_dont_ban_me
03-14-2006, 09:15 PM
I was thinking about it today...

If Barry is still under contract with us for next year wouldn't the two teams have another chance to get it done this offseason? The reason it didn't get done the first tim (supposedly) is because the Hawks GM was at a funeral and they couldn't finish the deal by the deadline.

So why not try it again this summer? I'd love to have that kid on this team.

Mr. Body
03-14-2006, 09:29 PM
The Hornets don't seem interested in playing/developing Smith, so something might be worked out. And NOOK could use a multi-tool player like Barry. It could definitely happen.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-14-2006, 09:32 PM
The Hornets don't seem interested in playing/developing Smith, so something might be worked out. And NOOK could use a multi-tool player like Barry. It could definitely happen.

I remember how exciting it was to watch Charles Smith elevate at the rim.

This kid is all that, and then some. Raw talent, but this would be the perfect place for him to develop, and Pop would hopefully keep him in check. This town/city/team could some excitement like that. What's the worse that happens, it doesn't work out? Big deal, you still have manu/tp/bowen at those guard and small forward positions. Oh, not to mention Finley off the bench. Pfft.

Rummpd
03-14-2006, 09:45 PM
The way Barry is playing I am glad this did not happen - look for other future trade bait right now - NVE???????

SequSpur
03-14-2006, 09:46 PM
I remember how exciting it was to watch Charles Smith elevate at the rim.

This kid is all that, and then some. Raw talent, but this would be the perfect place for him to develop, and Pop would hopefully keep him in check. This town/city/team could some excitement like that. What's the worse that happens, it doesn't work out? Big deal, you still have manu/tp/bowen at those guard and small forward positions. Oh, not to mention Finley off the bench. Pfft.
http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/0828/wtfquestion.jpg

Please_dont_ban_me
03-14-2006, 09:58 PM
The way Barry is playing I am glad this did not happen - look for other future trade bait right now - NVE???????

His value isn't that high. You're better off just holding on to him.

Barry does have some value though. I would dangle him for all he's worth.

exstatic
03-14-2006, 10:04 PM
Do it.

smeagol
03-14-2006, 10:14 PM
Do it.
Yep, that Barry guy sure sucks :rolleyes

thekingrobert
03-14-2006, 10:17 PM
isnt smith a free agent after this yr and nve is on a 1 yr deal isnt he?

MannyIsGod
03-14-2006, 10:19 PM
Yep, that Barry guy sure sucks :rolleyesBarry doesn't suck, but the upside with Smith is huge.

exstatic
03-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Yep, that Barry guy sure sucks :rolleyes

Answer: 34,34,32,28

Question: What are the ages of Bowen, Barry, Finley, and Manu?

JR Smith is 20, a high wire act, and has shot 39.5% from downtown this year, compared to Barry's 34.5%.

I'm really glad Brent woke up from his year and a half long coma, but I'll help him fucking pack.

Leetonidas
03-14-2006, 10:23 PM
JR Smith plays with New Oreleans, not Atlanta.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-14-2006, 10:29 PM
JR Smith plays with New Oreleans, not Atlanta.

I know.

If you read up on it, you'd know they tried to involve the Hawks at the last minute, and the deal probably would have gotten done as a 3-say trade but the Haws GM couldn't do it do a funeral he had to attend.

exstatic
03-14-2006, 10:36 PM
I know.

If you read up on it, you'd know they tried to involve the Hawks at the last minute, and the deal probably would have gotten done as a 3-say trade but the Haws GM couldn't do it do a funeral he had to attend.

I understand that the man had a funeral to go to, but this is a billion dollar business, and it was trade deadline day. If you are not available, designate one of your assistants to take calls, and be available via text message.

Fuck.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-14-2006, 10:39 PM
I understand that the man had a funeral to go to, but this is a billion dollar business, and it was trade deadline day. If you are not available, designate one of your assistants to take calls, and be available via text message.

Fuck.

I'm sure he had people in plae. It was a last minute thing, though.

The Hornets made another deal, which changed there salary cap situation. So they had to get the Hawks involved, by that time everything had to go right for it to get done...and it didn't. Funerals have that effect.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-14-2006, 10:57 PM
If we can get this guy, I would be the first person with his authentic road jersey [/tpark]

DieMrBond
03-14-2006, 11:10 PM
You think Brent was trying to prove something today? 4/4 from 3, 2/2 from 2 for 16 points, 3 assists, 1 block, 2 rebounds. Not a bad little performance.

sa_butta
03-14-2006, 11:30 PM
You think Brent was trying to prove something today? 4/4 from 3, 2/2 from 2 for 16 points, 3 assists, 1 block, 2 rebounds. Not a bad little performance.I Hope he proves it in the playoffs, we need him to shoot like that.

smeagol
03-14-2006, 11:32 PM
Barry doesn't suck, but the upside with Smith is huge.
My issue with extatic and others regarding Barry is that they don't see what he brings to the table.

It's not just scoring but it's his passing, his ball handling skills, his court vision.

I would also make the trade because of Smith's potential.

It just pisses me off that people contantly diss Barry for what barry isn't. He isn't a 20 pt a game man. TD and TP and to a lesser degree Manu (whenever he wakes up) are there to that job.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-14-2006, 11:33 PM
My issue with extatic and others regarding Barry is that they don't see what he brings to the table.

It's not just scoring but it's his passing, his ball handling skills, his court vision.

It just pisses me off that people contantly diss Barry for what barry isn't. He isn't a 20 pt a game man. TD and TP and to a lesser degree Manu (whenever he wakes up) are there to that job.

I agree.

I like when people have some sense, give him his credit...and say 'but I would still try to get Smith'. It bugs the hell out of me when peoples respone is "Barry fucking sucks" and "trade his ass".

sa_butta
03-14-2006, 11:34 PM

I would like to see Barry as a possible back up PG in the playoffs for that reason.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-14-2006, 11:36 PM
Alot of people wanted Barry as backup pointguard at various points of last years playoffs, but Pop didn't really do it. I dont know if we came up with the reason why, but there HAS to be one. A logical one, hopefully.

Please_dont_ban_me
Alot of people wanted Barry as backup pointguard at various points of last years playoffs, but Pop didn't really do it. I dont know if we came up with the reason why, but there HAS to be one. A logical one, hopefully.

Other than him forgetting how to dribble penetrate?

MannyIsGod
Lets make something clear though. The Barry that is playing right now is not the Barry of the past year and a half. He was brought here to hit some open shots, and he struggled with that a lot last year and most of this year as well. I thought in the playoffs last year, he hit his stride to a degree, but still had room to grow. Then this year it appeared he had regressed.

However, perhaps Barry is finally in a zone where he needs to be.

sa_butta
03-14-2006, 11:44 PM
Lets make something clear though. The Barry that is playing right now is not the Barry of the past year and a half. He was brought here to hit some open shots, and he struggled with that a lot last year and most of this year as well. I thought in the playoffs last year, he hit his stride to a degree, but still had room to grow. Then this year it appeared he had regressed.

However, perhaps Barry is finally in a zone where he needs to be.If he can stay in that zone. This is a great time for him to gain some confidence heading into the playoffs.

Despot
03-14-2006, 11:46 PM
I never wanted Barry to go, but I would do take Smith for Barry, way too much upside not to take the chance.

The problem is that the word is out all over the league that Smith was available rather cheaply, so I'm sure alot of teams will make offers, and they will probably offer much more than Barry. It may come down to a bidding war for Smith's services, and I'm not sure I like the Spurs chances in an auction. If anything, maybe Barry's recent play has made the Hornets salivate more.

Did someone call him Charles Smith? Or were they rererring to Charles Smith. Did Charles Smith ever elevate??? Kinda blocked him from my memory.

Despot
03-14-2006, 11:53 PM

However, perhaps Barry is finally in a zone where he needs to be.

I'm not so sure he is in a zone, but I agree with you, he is playing the way he should have been the entire time. I'm convinced now that he was so afraid of making mistakes that his game suffered badly, and now he has realized that that attitude was not going to help him stay on this team, so now he has cut loose figuring he has nothing to lose.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 12:05 AM
I never wanted Barry to go, but I would do take Smith for Barry, way too much upside not to take the chance.

The problem is that the word is out all over the league that Smith was available rather cheaply, so I'm sure alot of teams will make offers, and they will probably offer much more than Barry. It may come down to a bidding war for Smith's services, and I'm not sure I like the Spurs chances in an auction. If anything, maybe Barry's recent play has made the Hornets salivate more.

Did someone call him Charles Smith? Or were they rererring to Charles Smith. Did Charles Smith ever elevate??? Kinda blocked him from my memory.

Not the center.

The guy we traded to Portland. The kid had ridiculous hops. He was "the guy" off our bench at one point, before SJax waas SJax.

Despot
03-15-2006, 12:15 AM
Not the center.

The guy we traded to Portland. The kid had ridiculous hops. He was "the guy" off our bench at one point, before SJax waas SJax.

I know, I never quite like Charles Smith for some reason, not sure why.

T Park
03-15-2006, 12:17 AM
It just pisses me off that people contantly diss Barry for what barry isn't

??

We diss him cause he was brought here to make open 3s.

He hasn't done that

So hes been dissed on.

Cry me a river.

It's not just scoring but it's his passing, his ball handling skills, his court vision

Weve got Parker, Van Exel, and to a point, Udrih for that.

He was brought here to shoot.

WHy is that so hard to comprehend peeps?

T Park
03-15-2006, 12:18 AM

??

Eh?

SJax never "came off the bench"

He became a starter about 4 or 5 games into the season of 02 03.

The year before, he was IR fodder.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 12:36 AM
??

Eh?

SJax never "came off the bench"

He became a starter about 4 or 5 games into the season of 02 03.

The year before, he was IR fodder.

He didn't start right away.

I clearly remember him and Smith being on our bench. Hell, I remember when SJax went at it with Malone and Kobe that year, and the dude was a virtual nobody. That's the same year Smith was the main guy offf the bench, he was making the spectacular plays while SJax was like the sloppy seconds.

exstatic
03-15-2006, 01:10 AM

Brent Barry has played 136 regular season games and 22 post season games in a Spurs uniform. He's had maybe 18-20 good games. I got tired of waiting, and apparently so did Pop. He's WAY on the wrong side of 30, and we had a chance to get a bright young talent. Sue me for wanting to.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 01:19 AM
Brent Barry has played 136 regular season games and 22 post season games in a Spurs uniform. He's had maybe 18-20 good games. I got tired of waiting, and apparently so did Pop. He's WAY on the wrong side of 30, and we had a chance to get a bright young talent. Sue me for wanting to.

I'm in the same boat.

I was a huge fan of his. But he just never did shit. He has come alive at times, but I just...blah. I don't care either way anymore, keep him if you can't trade him...trade him if you can get something for him.

ChumpDumper
03-15-2006, 01:27 AM
I answered this question four hours before you asked it. Look around before starting another thread.

T Park
03-15-2006, 01:28 AM
I clearly remember him and Smith being on our bench. Hell, I remember when SJax went at it with Malone and Kobe that year, and the dude was a virtual nobody. That's the same year Smith was the main guy offf the bench, he was making the spectacular plays while SJax was like the sloppy seconds

Jax played 10 games TOPS, MAYBE.

Charles Smith was the main guy off the bench.

Tells you how bad the SPurs were.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 01:30 AM
I answered this question four hours before you asked it. Look around before starting another thread.

Really?

I didn't realize you had inside contacts with the Spurs. Next time, I'll skip the express news and just shoot you a PM/post. Sound like a plan?

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 01:31 AM
Jax played 10 games TOPS, MAYBE.

Charles Smith was the main guy off the bench.

Tells you how bad the SPurs were.

Smith played nice, though.

Especially that game he lit the Lakers up. Somebody was injured, he had to play big minutes and came through. Anyways, we're getting sidetracked here...

ChumpDumper
03-15-2006, 01:39 AM
Really?

I didn't realize you had inside contacts with the Spurs. Next time, I'll skip the express news and just shoot you a PM/post. Sound like a plan?This was your question
If Barry is still under contract with us for next year wouldn't the two teams have another chance to get it done this offseason?Here's my post from 4:00 Tuesday:

there's a very good chance this deal could be revisted in the summer. To do the same deal we'd have to wait for NOLA to sign or dispose of the rest of their free agents, or maybe more players or other teams could get involved.http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=800652&postcount=13

You have to earn the right to be a condescending asshole. You aren't even close. Well, that's not true: you got the last half down pat.

cs100
03-15-2006, 01:40 AM
Barry was not going to be traded for someone to help us this year. It was primarily to gain cap space in order to offer Nazr a good deal to remain with the Spurs. That may still happen.

The problem the Spurs have, as stated earlier, was the age of some of our players, ie Horry, Bowen, Barry, Finley and NVE all between 32-36 years old. This may also be the problem with our back-to-backs -- tired old legs.

Barry wants to finish his career in SA and I would bet that if the Spurs trade him this summer, he may elect to retire instead. NVE only signed a one year contract.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 01:41 AM
This was your questionHere's my post from 4:00 Tuesday:http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=800652&postcount=13

You have to earn the right to be a condescending asshole. You aren't even close. Well, that's not true: you got the last half down pat.

^ How is that answering my question?

I asked if the deals still possible. Your reply (in another thread) was "well yes, maybe. sort of. just wait and see!".

ChumpDumper
03-15-2006, 01:43 AM
^ How is that answering my question?It is an answer.

To your question.

Maybe you should try reading it slower, or have your mom help you with the big words.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 01:46 AM
It is an answer.

To your question.

Maybe you should try reading it slower, or have your mom help you with the big words.

Listen, I'm going to say it slower this time. I asked if the deal was still possible. Your reply was "well maybe, depends...if....well, possibly. durrrrrr". :angel

Not to mention, this is a forum. Where you talk, about stuff. Know what I mean? The answer to every question is probably somewhere on the forums. Do you expect people to read every thread before posting? That's what I thought. Just stfu.

ChumpDumper
03-15-2006, 01:51 AM
Do you expect people to read every thread before posting?I would expect someone interested in the Barry trade would read the thread involving the Barry trade that is on the front page of the forum -- unless that person is a compete moron.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 01:53 AM
I would expect someone interested in the Barry trade would read the thread involving the Barry trade that is on the front page of the forum -- unless that person is a compete moron.

Wow.

*edit - fuck it*

exstatic
03-15-2006, 08:20 AM
Barry was not going to be traded for someone to help us this year. It was primarily to gain cap space in order to offer Nazr a good deal to remain with the Spurs. That may still happen.

It was primarily for J.R. Smith. Nazr had nothing to do with it. Have you ever heard the expression "he's dead, he just hasn't fallen over yet"? Nazr is gone, he just hasn't packed yet. The Spurs are at the luxtax threshhold, Tim Tony and Manu will all earn at least 10% raises over the next 5 years jacking up the payroll considerably, and we drafted a center last summer, have a another center and a PF stashed overseas, and have Rasho, Horry and Oberto under contract for the next couple of years as a big man rotation to go with Tim.

doldrums
03-15-2006, 11:37 AM
You know he has the basic raw materials. Sometimes he just needs a fire under his ass.

Obstructed_View
03-15-2006, 11:42 AM
I asked if the deal was still possible.

Here's the answer:

there's a very good chance this deal could be revisted in the summer. To do the same deal we'd have to wait for NOLA to sign or dispose of the rest of their free agents, or maybe more players or other teams could get involved.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 12:36 PM
Here's the answer:

there's a very good chance this deal could be revisted in the summer. To do the same deal we'd have to wait for NOLA to sign or dispose of the rest of their free agents, or maybe more players or other teams could get involved.

Why the rest of there players?

Don't they just have to clear up about $50,000? That's what I was under the impression of.

Peter
03-15-2006, 12:49 PM
I don't care what Barry did last night. Hopefully the trade can be revisited this summer. Smith continues to be in Scott's doghouse. If the Spurs could score Macijauskas too like they were set to in the original trade, that would be quite nice.

T Park
03-15-2006, 01:00 PM
Agreed.

Barry had a 6 for 6 game.

Whopee for him.

Lets see him have more 4 for 6 or 3 for 6 or god for bid a 5 for 8 night.

Shoot more, make more.

earn that overrated goddamn contract.

Peter
03-15-2006, 01:02 PM
So far I think we have the best result we could hope for after the broken trade. Barry's play has improved, which can't hurt the Hornets' interest (and, in the stretch run should help the Spurs) and the Scott-Smith imbroglio is continuing.

T Park
03-15-2006, 01:03 PM
The only bad thing, is if another team in the league, offers a more attractive trade, due to hearing that the Spurs would've gotten him for a better ball handling David Wood.

Peter
03-15-2006, 01:05 PM
The only bad thing, is if another team in the league, offers a more attractive trade, due to hearing that the Spurs would've gotten him for a better ball handling David Wood.

Stephen Jackson had to go to the summer leagues to stay in the league after his run-in (and a quite respectable season) with Scott. Scott may just help the Spurs land a young, athletic, and talented swingman again.

MoSpur
03-15-2006, 01:11 PM
Barry made a lot of Hornets fans last night want him in a NO/OK uniform. I hope the Hornets front office feels the same. Imagine if he (Barry) was in a Hornets uniform last night and went 6- 6 against his former team (Spurs) and somehow helped the Hornets beat the Spurs last night? While our guy Josh Smith in a Spurs uniform went 0-3? We'd be all hating on Barry and saying stuff like, "how come he couldn't do that when he was a Spur?" Just a thought.

Anyway, I would love to see Josh Smith with the Spurs next season. He seems like he has so much talent. Barry is getting older and is more expensive to keep around. I like Barry and love what he is doing right now, I just don't think you pass up a chance of clearing cap room and getting a raw talent like Josh Smith.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 01:15 PM
Barry made a lot of Hornets fans last night want him in a NO/OK uniform. I hope the Hornets front office feels the same. Imagine if he (Barry) was in a Hornets uniform last night and went 6- 6 against his former team (Spurs) and somehow helped the Hornets beat the Spurs last night? While our guy Josh Smith in a Spurs uniform went 0-3? We'd be all hating on Barry and saying stuff like, "how come he couldn't do that when he was a Spur?" Just a thought.

Anyway, I would love to see Josh Smith with the Spurs next season. He seems like he has so much talent. Barry is getting older and is more expensive to keep around. I like Barry and love what he is doing right now, I just don't think you pass up a chance of clearing cap room and getting a raw talent like Josh Smith.

Keeping Smith down the line would be a problem.

We had that problem in trying to sign both Manu/TP to decent contracts. Tim is already getting the max. There's really not the type of money left that you would need to keep Smith once he finally develops (assuming he does).

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 01:16 PM
^ That's the only problem I see in the deal.

newbiefan
03-15-2006, 01:18 PM
"The problem is that the word is out all over the league that Smith was available rather cheaply, so I'm sure alot of teams will make offers, and they will probably offer much more than Barry. It may come down to a bidding war for Smith's services, and I'm not sure I like the Spurs chances in an auction. If anything, maybe Barry's recent play has made the Hornets salivate more"

is it possible that just the fact that the spurs wanted him, makes him attractive to other teams. ( linton johnson, m . wilks, ??)

T Park
03-15-2006, 01:19 PM
lol

what, you think hell demand the max or something??

:lmao

Peter
03-15-2006, 01:20 PM
As long as revenues are going up and you have contracts expiring for the older role players, that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 01:22 PM
lol

No.

But he won't be cheap.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 01:23 PM
As long as revenues are going up and you have contracts expiring for the older role players, that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

That's true.

By the time have to take a hit in our wallet to keep Smith, the older finley/barry/bowen type players will likely be gone or being paid alot less to just stick around for experience.

Peter
03-15-2006, 01:25 PM
Manu's deal ends in 2010. Smith's rookie deal will end in 2008. If Smith was worth it, it wouldn't be that much of a burden to re-up him. That's assuming, of course, that he's ever a Spur.

Peter
03-15-2006, 01:26 PM
That's true.

By the time have to take a hit in our wallet to keep Smith, the older finley/barry/bowen type players will likely be gone or being paid alot less to just stick around for experience.

Nah, if those guys are hanging on they'll continue to get low salaries.

velik_m
03-15-2006, 01:29 PM
Manu's deal ends in 2010. Smith's rookie deal will end in 2008. If Smith was worth it, it wouldn't be that much of a burden to re-up him. That's assuming, of course, that he's ever a Spur.

when does Rasho's end?

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 01:32 PM
when does Rasho's end?

Not soon enough.

I love his game, but he is a bit overpaid.

Peter
when does Rasho's end?

Please_dont_ban_me
Nah, if those guys are hanging on they'll continue to get low salaries.

That's what I meant.

Even if they are around, they will hvae low salaries.

velik_m
03-15-2006, 01:38 PM

thanks!

Slo spurs fan
03-15-2006, 01:47 PM

Isn't Josh Smith with Hawks?
Aren't we talking about JR Smith?

SA Gunslinger
03-15-2006, 02:04 PM
Smith could have had a similar role that Devin had with the Spurs last season. His athlecisim would have helped us against the Lakers and Mavericks.

But Brent has killed the Suns his entire career. It's nice to know that we have him, just in case the Spurs face Phoenix in the conference finals.

ChumpDumper
03-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Here's the answer:

there's a very good chance this deal could be revisted in the summer. To do the same deal we'd have to wait for NOLA to sign or dispose of the rest of their free agents, or maybe more players or other teams could get involved.:lol

Very well researched!

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 02:41 PM
Smith could have had a similar role that Devin had with the Spurs last season. His athlecisim would have helped us against the Lakers and Mavericks.

But Brent has killed the Suns his entire career. It's nice to know that we have him, just in case the Spurs face Phoenix in the conference finals.

Devin was solid.

Smith is more of a question mark. Smith will posterize somebody, that's for sure. :D

MoSpur
03-15-2006, 02:52 PM
Sorry. I meant to write JR Smith. My bad.

Slo spurs fan
03-15-2006, 02:55 PM
Sorry. I meant to write JR Smith. My bad.
:tu

ChumpDumper
03-15-2006, 02:57 PM
Why the rest of there players?

Don't they just have to clear up about $50,000? That's what I was under the impression of.Before the trade could occur, the salary cap will be reset and teams will be using the new salary amounts when putting together trades. The Hornets' cap number will include the unrenounced value of several free agents, so many that it could force the Hornets to decide whether to keep the remaining cap space--which would allow them to go ahead with the Barry trade in its original form--or instead take the cap exceptions available to them which would allow them to sign one new player to a midlevel deal before resolving their other contract issues. The original Barry deal doesn't work if both teams are over the cap; the Hornets would have to throw in another player like Brandon Bass or find another way to even out the deal.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 03:01 PM
Before the trade could occur, the salary cap will be reset and teams will be using the new salary amounts when putting together trades. The Hornets' cap number will include the unrenounced value of several free agents, so many that it could force the Hornets to decide whether to keep the remaining cap space--which would allow them to go ahead with the Barry trade in its original form--or instead take the cap exceptions available to them which would allow them to sign one new player to a midlevel deal before resolving their other contract issues. The original Barry deal doesn't work if both teams are over the cap; the Hornets would have to throw in another player like Brandon Bass or find another way to even out the deal.

So the cap rules are changing this offseason? Interesting.

I wouldn't mind taking on an extra player like Brass (whoever that is) to make the deal work.

ChumpDumper
03-15-2006, 03:03 PM
The rules aren't changing -- the cap number and players' salaries are changing. We'll have a better idea in July.

Bruno
03-15-2006, 03:06 PM
It was primarily for J.R. Smith. Nazr had nothing to do with it. Have you ever heard the expression "he's dead, he just hasn't fallen over yet"? Nazr is gone, he just hasn't packed yet. The Spurs are at the luxtax threshhold, Tim Tony and Manu will all earn at least 10% raises over the next 5 years jacking up the payroll considerably, and we drafted a center last summer, have a another center and a PF stashed overseas, and have Rasho, Horry and Oberto under contract for the next couple of years as a big man rotation to go with Tim.

I kinda diasgree with that.
The financial aspect was important with this deal.
With this trade Spurs will save $1.5M in 06-07.
The money saved with this trade + a Rasho trade can be enough to re-sign Nazr without hitting the Lux tax domain.
Nazr is far from be gone.
The only other reliable option we have to start at C next year is Rasho. In March, he has scored 9 points and grab 18 rebounds in 96 min (7 games played, he was DNP-CD against phoenix). I'm not sure that Pop is want to start him again. Oberto isn't good enoug to start, Horry isn't yound enough, Mahinmi is too young, Scola is a PF and has a huge buyout and Javtokas will be a rookie ans isn't maybe better than Oberto.
I can see Spurs trading Rasho and Barry to save money and re-signing Nazr. Maybe they will package them or do two separate trades.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 03:09 PM
I kinda diasgree with that.
The financial aspect was important with this deal.
With this trade Spurs will save $1.5M in 06-07.
The money saved with this trade + a Rasho trade can be enough to re-sign Nazr without hitting the Lux tax domain.
Nazr is far from be gone.
The only other reliable option we have to start at C next year is Rasho. In March, he has scored 9 points and grab 18 rebounds in 96 min (7 games played, he was DNP-CD against phoenix). I'm not sure that Pop is want to start him again. Oberto isn't good enoug to start, Horry isn't yound enough, Mahinmi is too young, Scola is a PF and has a huge buyout and Javtokas will be a rookie ans isn't maybe better than Oberto.
I can see Spurs trading Rasho and Barry to save money and re-signing Nazr. Maybe they will package them or do two separate trades.

Good points.

I think if it comes down to Nazr or Rasho, I would pick Nazr. I like Rasho's game, unlike most basketball fans...but Nazr brings a toughness to the team that we lack.

Bruno
03-15-2006, 03:15 PM
I like Rasho too, but it's either him or Nazr and it seems that Pop has chosen.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 03:16 PM

Group hug.

wildbill2u
03-15-2006, 06:20 PM

There are several stories on the internet about JR SMith and WHY New Orleans coach Byron Scott won't play him and wants to get rid of him.

According to Scott, Smith has an attitude problem and won't practice/learn from the coaches. I don't have time to find a link.

Peter
03-15-2006, 06:22 PM
Scott said Jack had an attitude problem too. Then Jack helped the Spurs win a championship.

zeleni
03-15-2006, 06:42 PM

This year i think Pop hasn't chosen anything yet. Pop needs to repeat and Big 3 wants the playoff win more than anything. So why would anyone wanted to conclude who is the starting 5 in a gameplan when you can exchange even the scrubs between games?

I still think we can expect seeing Barry, Finley or even Razr inactive for a game. Even just to fool the enemy. ;) Spurs are as deep as they can be, so strategies can be applied variably. Ignore the above. I am just saying Spurs can make trouble with constantly changing the starters. Just remember the effect of Manu from the bench. Maybe Nazr/Rasho swap could have the same effect.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 06:44 PM
This year i think Pop hasn't chosen anything yet. Pop needs to repeat and Big 3 wants the playoff win more than anything. So why would anyone wanted to conclude who is the starting 5 in a gameplan when you can exchange even the scrubs between games?

I still think we can expect seeing Barry, Finley or even Razr inactive for a game. Even just to fool the enemy. ;) Spurs are as deep as they can be, so strategies can be applied variably. Ignore the above. I am just saying Spurs can make trouble with constantly changing the starters. Just remember the effect of Manu from the bench. Maybe Nazr/Rasho swap could have the same effect.

Um, I think we meant in the offseason.

Not playoff stategy. Obviously both will be used interchangeably in the playoffs.

ducks
03-15-2006, 06:59 PM
Scott said Jack had an attitude problem too. Then Jack helped the Spurs win a championship.
then jack said he could only play for pop turned down the offer and ran crawled to the hawks

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 07:00 PM
then jack said he could only play for pop turned down the offer and ran crawled to the hawks

Then some fans hit Jacks fist with there faces.

Peter
03-15-2006, 07:09 PM
Jack made some bad decisions after that but I don't think anyone was complaining when he was knocking down those 3s in the 4th Q of Game 6 of the '03 Finals.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-15-2006, 07:14 PM
you got that right

I still miss jack. He gave us the street cred we're sorely missing this season.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 07:15 PM
Jack made some bad decisions after that but I don't think anyone was complaining when he was knocking down those 3s in the 4th Q of Game 6 of the '03 Finals.

Nope.

Would have loved for him to stay, he would've been great on this team. Just like he is now with the Pacers. Oh, well. Shit happens.

Peter
03-15-2006, 07:18 PM
Maybe Smith would be like Jack without the bad (short term) free agency choice and the row 8 beatdown thing? Pop's shown that he can take a young player that has been labelled a problem child and turn him into a contributor in SA. This isn't the first time that Scott's had a problem with a young player.

exstatic
03-15-2006, 07:34 PM
lol

Exhibit 1: The Spurs declined to match an offer for Devin Brown in the neighborhhod of $2.5M starting salary. That's about 1/4 of the MAX.

ducks
03-15-2006, 07:37 PM
browns has a bad back
spur management knows all about bad backs see david robinson

exstatic
03-15-2006, 07:52 PM

??? Pop has so completely "chosen" that Rasho started the second half last night. Nazr continues to play Charmin defense, a major no no on the Spurs.

Nazr is easily the worst defensive post player to get rotation burn for the Spurs in the last 15 years. That fact alone will earn him his ticket out of town, not to mention his probable market value of between $6-8M. Seven footers who can walk and chew gum are almost always overpaid when they hit the market; see: Dampier, Erick bench player for the Mavs.. The Spurs won't be the ones doing the overpaying, however.

SequSpur
03-15-2006, 08:15 PM
browns has a bad back
spur management knows all about bad backs see david robinson

You fukkin idiot. He didn't get a new deal because they signed Mike Finley. Pop was fukkin clear on his show that Devin was back unless by chance Finley chose the Spurs.

Get your fukkin shit straight.....

T Park
03-15-2006, 08:53 PM
If Devin Brown lowered his contract demands to a million or million and a half for 1 year, hed still be with the team.

IMHO.

SequSpur
03-15-2006, 08:55 PM
If Devin Brown lowered his contract demands to a million or million and a half for 1 year, hed still be with the team.

IMHO.

I doubt it, because they have to many sgs and sfs.

Bruno
03-16-2006, 04:38 AM
??? Pop has so completely "chosen" that Rasho started the second half last night. Nazr continues to play Charmin defense, a major no no on the Spurs.

Nazr is easily the worst defensive post player to get rotation burn for the Spurs in the last 15 years. That fact alone will earn him his ticket out of town, not to mention his probable market value of between $6-8M. Seven footers who can walk and chew gum are almost always overpaid when they hit the market; see: Dampier, Erick bench player for the Mavs.. The Spurs won't be the ones doing the overpaying, however.

??? The question isn't to know who is better between Rasho and Nazr or if Nazr is a good player. The real question is to know what will Spurs front office do this summer.

Spurs won't keep Rasho and nazr (too expensive). It's higly unlikely that they keep none of them (unless they trade rasho for another center), Spurs need a starting center.

In march, Nazr has almost played twice more than Rasho (184 min for Nazr, 98 min for Rasho). I know that it's only 15 days but 15 days in march are more meaningful than 15 days in December (notice that I've said "it seems").
Nazr maybe sucks but he has lately got way more playtime than Rasho, it seems that Pop has chosen.

For the FA aspect, Nazr won't get the same kind of money than Dampier. Nazr will be expensive but Rasho is expensive too. If we dump Rasho (I reckon that it won't be easy but some teams really need size), it will be a wash financially wise. Another point to consider is that teams over the cap can only offer the MLE ($5M). Among teams under the cap, only three (Chicago, Toronto and New Orleans) need a center. If you add the draft, the fact that Nazr isn't the only free agent and that Nazr maybe doesn't want to play for some teams, I can see Nazr receiving only full MLE offer ($30M/5 years). In this case, Spurs can offer him slighty more than the MLE (something like $38M/6 years) and keep him : it's not that overpaid and less expensive than Rasho.

SenorSpur
03-16-2006, 06:34 AM
??? The question isn't to know who is better between Rasho and Nazr or if Nazr is a good player. The real question is to know what will Spurs front office do this summer.

Spurs won't keep Rasho and nazr (too expensive). It's higly unlikely that they keep none of them (unless they trade rasho for another center), Spurs need a starting center.

In march, Nazr has almost played twice more than Rasho (184 min for Nazr, 98 min for Rasho). I know that it's only 15 days but 15 days in march are more meaningful than 15 days in December (notice that I've said "it seems").
Nazr maybe sucks but he has lately got way more playtime than Rasho, it seems that Pop has chosen.

For the FA aspect, Nazr won't get the same kind of money than Dampier. Nazr will be expensive but Rasho is expensive too. If we dump Rasho (I reckon that it won't be easy but some teams really need size), it will be a wash financially wise. Another point to consider is that teams over the cap can only offer the MLE ($5M). Among teams under the cap, only three (Chicago, Toronto and New Orleans) need a center. If you add the draft, the fact that Nazr isn't the only free agent and that Nazr maybe doesn't want to play for some teams, I can see Nazr receiving only full MLE offer ($30M/5 years). In this case, Spurs can offer him slighty more than the MLE (something like $38M/6 years) and keep him : it's not that overpaid and less expensive than Rasho.

It would have been nice if Nazr would have accepted the Spurs tender offer last summer. However from his standpoint, I understand why he did not.