View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Horry sends message with knee-high socks

carina_gino20
03-15-2006, 07:59 AM
please lock if already posted...

Spurs notebook: Horry sends message with knee-high socks

Web Posted: 03/15/2006 12:36 AM CST
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

Robert Horry, who has a locker next to Nick Van Exel at the AT&T Center, wore knee-high white socks in tribute to his ailing teammate, who always wears his socks up to his knees, and always sports a headband, white at home, black on the road.

"It's in honor of 31," Horry said, citing Van Exel's uniform number. "I can't wear the headband because I get headaches, but I can wear the socks. Until he comes back, I'm going to wear them. Nick said I look even skinnier than I already am when I wear them, but that's OK."

Van Exel has missed six of the past seven games because of soreness in his left elbow. He will go back to the doctor today to have the elbow examined.

With a pair of cortisone shots providing Van Exel only short-term relief, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has considered sitting him until close to the playoffs in hopes the prolonged rest will help.

Scott's spin: Hornets coach Byron Scott's team has dropped from seventh in the Western Conference playoff race to ninth. Scott, though, chose to put the most positive spin on the situation before Tuesday's game against the Spurs.

"The one thing I thought about the other day, after the Jersey loss," Scott said, "was that if someone walked up to me before the season and said, 'You can be 31-31 after 62 games,' you would have said, 'OK. That sounds good.'

"What I tried to do the other day was tell the guys they had done a terrific job all season, No. 1. No. 2, all the playoff talk, for a young team, got them tight. So I told them we're now in the ninth spot, so there's no pressure. Let's just go play and have fun, go back to playing like we did in January and February when we were having fun, but we were getting after teams. And let's see what happens."

Popovich backing Bzdelik: Popovich, the only Air Force Academy graduate to coach in the NBA, was thrilled when his alma mater, now coached by former Denver Nuggets coach Jeff Bzdelik, made the NCAA tournament after a 24-9 season. The Falcons will face Illinois in the first round Thursday.

Popovich and Bzdelik have enjoyed a friendship for some time, and Popovich recommended Bzdelik for the Falcons' coaching job when it came open after last season.

"I'm really happy for the school," Popovich said, "but I'm even happier for Jeff. He was left for dead up there (in Denver). But Jeff's always been a fine coach, and he's done a great job (at Air Force)."

Flippin' mad: Hornets center Marc Jackson directed an obscene gesture toward some rowdy fans seated near the court after one of them accused him of committing a "dirty foul" on Tim Duncan in the second quarter. Such gestures typically result in a fine from the league if reported by the referees.

Bank open: Spurs fan Michael Marquez earned $10,000 for making a 3-pointer during a timeout in the first half.

He banked in the shot from the left side.

It was a reminder of another San Antonio shooter who once called such perimeter bank shots a major part of his offensive repertoire.

"Just like the good, old days, when I used to make bank shots," said Tim Duncan, who has struggled with his perimeter shot all season, including his signature bank shot. "Get his name for me. I need to consult with him." :lol

Moving back: ABC has dropped its broadcast of the Spurs' April 16 game at Minnesota. Originally scheduled for noon, the game will now begin at 5 p.m

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA031506.6C.BKNspurs.notebook.126135de.html

Solid D
03-15-2006, 08:21 AM
I had to look twice at Horry last night. I thought the Spurs had picked up Mikki Moore. :lol

sanman53
03-15-2006, 08:36 AM
Moving back: ABC has dropped its broadcast of the Spurs' April 16 game at Minnesota. Originally scheduled for noon, the game will now begin at 5 p.m

I wonder what game ABC will show instead of the Spurs out here on the East Coast?

Taco
03-15-2006, 08:40 AM
That was cool of him

TDMVPDPOY
03-15-2006, 09:16 AM
stuff the bank shot tim, show us the low post spin moves!!! we missed them moves already.

Solid D
03-15-2006, 09:22 AM
Tim's been making the spin moves the past couple of games, TIMVPDPOY. They worked very well against Houston. Not so well last night against the Hornets.

ObiwanGinobili
03-15-2006, 10:03 AM

we'll still have it locally right?

pache100
03-15-2006, 10:04 AM
stuff the bank shot tim, show us the low post spin moves!!! we missed them moves already.

Tim's bank shots have been the Spurs' bread and butter for a long, long time; there were many times that worked when nothin' else did. DRob used to laugh and laugh and laugh when Timmy'd toss up that soft little glass smacker. Me, too! I love it.

missmyzte
03-15-2006, 10:11 AM
I need a pic of Horry in the knee-highs, that's too funny.

And I miss Timmy's signature banker!

greywheel
03-15-2006, 10:17 AM

Noooo. This was a back-to-back that wasn't a true back-to-back because of the early start time on Sunday. And now is. :depressed

Hopefully the T-wolves will completely fold on Garnet and Utah will consider their season over and look at young talent.

missmyzte
03-15-2006, 10:25 AM
http://spursinfo.com/photos/spurs/060314/gallery1/060314_06.jpg
You can see Robert's knee-highs in the background

spurschick
03-15-2006, 10:33 AM
That guy making the $10,000 shot was awesome! The whole place went nuts. Even some of the players had to look up from the huddle.

Solid D
03-15-2006, 10:35 AM
That guy making the $10,000 shot was awesome! The whole place went nuts. Even some of the players had to look up from the huddle.

http://spursinfo.com/photos/spurs/060314/gallery1/060314_08.jpg

angel_luv
03-15-2006, 10:43 AM
Aww Rob is so sweet. Watch out Misti!

:lol So kidding!

Slovenia is :king :makeout

"Just like the good, old days, when I used to make bank shots," said Tim Duncan, who has struggled with his perimeter shot all season, including his signature bank shot. "Get his name for me. I need to consult with him."

:lmao Timmy cracks me up. He's awesome.

Horry For 3!
03-15-2006, 02:01 PM
I was wondering why he was wearing knee-high socks, now I know.

texbumTHElife
03-15-2006, 02:30 PM
http://spursinfo.com/photos/spurs/060314/gallery1/060314_08.jpg

Who is that douche bag in the bag ground and where is Cactus(Crazy) Lou?

Old School Chic
03-15-2006, 02:37 PM
Who is that douche bag in the bag ground and where is Cactus(Crazy) Lou?

Don't be a jerk.
Crazy Lou had an emergency and that's Chris from Ticket Sales filling in for him at the last minute.

T Park
03-15-2006, 03:16 PM
Chris Duel >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Crazy Lou

Crazy Lou is just plain annoying and stupid.

angel_luv
03-15-2006, 05:27 PM
It was Chris Sandahl.

He did a good job- especially considering it is not his usual job.

El Borracho
03-15-2006, 09:18 PM
no spurs goes forgotten even in my drunk mind
nick at night will come up late ........

T Park
03-15-2006, 09:22 PM
lol

"The Drunk"

:lmao

milkyway21
03-15-2006, 11:32 PM
Scott's spin: Hornets coach Byron Scott's team has dropped from seventh in the Western Conference playoff race to ninth. Scott, though, chose to put the most positive spin on the situation before Tuesday's game against the Spurs.

"The one thing I thought about the other day, after the Jersey loss," Scott said, "was that if someone walked up to me before the season and said, 'You can be 31-31 after 62 games,' you would have said, 'OK. That sounds good.'

"What I tried to do the other day was tell the guys they had done a terrific job all season, No. 1. No. 2, all the playoff talk, for a young team, got them tight. So I told them we're now in the ninth spot, so there's no pressure. Let's just go play and have fun, go back to playing like we did in January and February when we were having fun, but we were getting after teams. And let's see what happens."

that's too bad Hornets for falling to #9. If they'll make it in the playoffs, Coach Scott could make a run for the 2005-06 COY with coaches such as Mike Dunleavy, AJ, Pops, Flip, ...

Mixability
03-16-2006, 01:36 AM

:tu

polandprzem
03-16-2006, 03:32 AM
The spurs are shaving ?
wt...?

:depressed

SoCalSpursFan
03-16-2006, 04:19 AM

Crazy Lou is CraAaAZzzzY!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111

Sometimes he even goes into the upper level!

WOWZA!

angel_luv
03-16-2006, 11:36 AM
The spurs are shaving ?
wt...?

:depressed

Did you hear that? Really? Oh, I see.

angel_luv
03-16-2006, 11:38 AM
:elephant :elephant :elephant

;)