PDA

View Full Version : mavs looking at Mateen Cleaves, Erick Strickland, Wesley Person, Latrell Sprewell ...

ducks
03-15-2006, 08:25 AM
ld injuries have Mavs scrambling for depth
By ART GARCIAStar-Telegram Staff Writer

Dealing with injuries all season, the Mavs relied on their depth to pull through. And considering their record, they've pulled through just fine.

The rope might finally be snapping back.

The lost players on the just-completed western road trip far outweigh the 2-1 record, leaving the Mavs scrambling for relief with little more than a month left in the regular season.

"We've been saying that our strength is our depth," Jason Terry said. "Right now we're being tested."

Tied with San Antonio atop the Western Conference, the Mavs (49-14) are staring at life without several significant pieces. Josh Howard (hamstring) and Devin Harris (quadriceps) had previous injuries flare up over the weekend and could be shut down for a significant portion, if not all, of the 19 games left.

The team is awaiting results from the MRI exam performed Monday on Harris. Howard is officially listed day-to-day after his injury resurfaced in his first game back Sunday.
The Mavs were cautious in the rehabs of both Harris, reinjured Saturday at Utah, and Howard. An even more careful approach might be in order.

"With the big picture in mind, we want to make sure those guys are healthy for the playoffs," president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said.

The team continues to hope that Keith Van Horn (knee) returns later this month. Adrian Griffin (hamstring) is a game-time decision tonight against LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers at American Airlines Center.

Regardless of who suits up, the Mavs won't use injuries as a crutch.

"It only takes five to play," Jerry Stackhouse said. "Obviously, we want to get everybody back healthy and ready for the stretch run and the playoffs. We don't want to take our chances by keep having guys coming in and out. We need to take that time to heal and stay in the lineup."

The setbacks have the Mavs considering the free-agent market, with point guard and swingman as the two areas of potential need. Among those available are Mateen Cleaves, Erick Strickland, Wesley Person, Latrell Sprewell and Bryon Russell.

Players who were free agents before March 1 are eligible for the playoff roster. Anyone waived after that date cannot compete in the postseason. With 15 players on the roster, the Mavs would have to waive someone to make room.

"We're going to look internally first and see if we can patch it together," Nelson said. "Our bench has stepped up in the past, and we'll give them the opportunity to do that."
Rookie forward Josh Powell played key fourth-quarter minutes against Sacramento, and reserve center DJ Mbenga contributed nicely the previous night at Utah. Third-string point guard Darrell Armstrong has also taken on a bigger role.

"We have to go with what we have," Stackhouse said. "We know we've got enough to get it done. It's going to put a little more mileage out of guys, but some guys want that."
The Spurs are also dealing with aches and pains. Coach Gregg Popovich is considering resting Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili on the second half of back-to-backs.

"There are some teams that have escaped it," Mavs coach Avery Johnson said of the injury bug. "Some teams have been bitten by it quite a bit. We're probably somewhere in between."

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 02:38 PM
Good.

Screw up the chemistry. :D

StylisticS
03-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Good.

Screw up the chemistry. :D

how is that screwing up the chemistry?

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 06:17 PM
how is that screwing up the chemistry?

Sprewell is known to be a cancer.
Mateen Cleaves is a shot in the dark, he hasn't done anything.
Erick Strickland is old, decent but old.

But the main point is, why make additions this late in the season? Some people hesitate in making mid-season trades because they don't want to ruin the chemistry and take a chance on a new player coming in. It's almost 3/4 through the season now. A little late to fucks wid a good thing, dawg.

ChumpDumper
03-15-2006, 06:23 PM
But the main point is, why make additions this late in the season?Because they have significant injuries. They wouldn't be considering it otherwise.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 06:37 PM
Because they have significant injuries. They wouldn't be considering it otherwise.

Pardon me for not considering Josh Howard and a backup point guard "significant".

StylisticS
03-15-2006, 07:50 PM
Pardon me for not considering Josh Howard and a backup point guard "significant".

Well then you don't know what you are talking about then. Both Josh Howard and Devin Harris are significant pieces to the Mavs. Josh Howard is arguably the MIP to the Mavs and probably there 2nd best player. He plays probably the best defense on the team and does much of the dirty work. He is also the teams best slasher.

Devin Harris is really the true point guard of the team. He is young and quick and is the best player to penetrate and set up players on the outside. The last three games we have lost, he has been out. If we didn't have him for the Portland game last week, we would have lost that game as well.

If you don't think those aren't significant players to the team, then I don't know what to tell you. Dallas is not looking at players just to put them on the squad. It's to fill those holes that usually contribute mightly to our success this season until they get back.

StylisticS
03-15-2006, 07:52 PM
But the main point is, why make additions this late in the season? Some people hesitate in making mid-season trades because they don't want to ruin the chemistry and take a chance on a new player coming in. It's almost 3/4 through the season now. A little late to fucks wid a good thing, dawg.

Did Glen Robinson screw up the Spurs chemistry last season?

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 07:53 PM
Well then you don't know what you are talking about then. Both Josh Howard and Devin Harris are significant pieces to the Mavs. Josh Howard is arguably the MIP to the Mavs and probably there 2nd best player. He plays probably the best defense on the team and does much of the dirty work. He is also the teams best slasher.

Devin Harris is really the true point guard of the team. He is young and quick and is the best player to penetrate and set up players on the outside. The last three games we have lost, he has been out. If we didn't have him for the Portland game last week, we would have lost that game as well.

If you don't think those aren't significant players to the team, then I don't know what to tell you. Dallas is not looking at players just to put them on the squad. It's to fill those holes that usually contribute mightly to our success this season until they get back.

Bown is our best defender.

Udrih is our backup point guard.

I don't think we'd be "devestated" if we lost both of them for a stretch of the regular season.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 07:53 PM
Did Glen Robinson screw up the Spurs chemistry last season?

He didn't play much in important games. Especially come playoff time.

Edit - Not to mention, he wasn't brought in because of "significant injuries".

StylisticS
03-15-2006, 08:01 PM

That's not the point. He still came on the team in the middle of the season.

I don't think we'd be "devestated" if we lost both of them for a stretch of the regular season.
That's great. However, for the Mavs, losing Howard and Harris are significant. You are trying to compare one team's system to another team and that is not going to work. That may not hurt the Spurs, but it will hurt the Mavs.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 08:03 PM
That's not the point. He still came on the team in the middle of the season.

That's great. However, for the Mavs, losing Howard and Harris are significant. You are trying to compare one team's system to another team and that is not going to work. That may not hurt the Spurs, but it will hurt the Mavs.

So I can't compare one teams system to another...

But you can bring up Glenn Robinson as an example?

StylisticS
03-15-2006, 08:04 PM
I basically turned around your logic on you. That's why I replied to that comment. Nothing more, nothing less.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 08:06 PM
I basically turned around your logic on you. That's why I replied to that comment. Nothing more, nothing less.

You basically told me not to do something, and did it yourself. Nothing more. Nothing less.

StylisticS
03-15-2006, 08:07 PM
whatever makes you feel better.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 08:17 PM
whatever makes you feel better.

Being right makes me all tingly inside.

StylisticS
03-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Don't know what you were right about. But since you think so highly of yourself over the internet. Here's your prize:http://www.cookiesinheaven.com/images/cookies/chocolate_chip_cookie.jpg

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 08:20 PM
Don't know what you were right about. But since you think so highly of yourself over the internet. Here's your prize:http://www.cookiesinheaven.com/images/cookies/chocolate_chip_cookie.jpg

And here's yours...

mavsfan1000
03-15-2006, 08:28 PM
If you don't give Josh Howard and Devin Harris credit for what they do than you don't understand basketball. Devin Harris is our best point guard defender and a slasher with some potential point guard skills. Howard is our best slasher on the team along with being a scorer and a decent defender.

Dre_7
03-15-2006, 11:09 PM

Wrong. He played quiet a bit in the playoffs.

Wrong again. He was signed because of the back injury to D Brown.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 11:12 PM
Wrong. He played quiet a bit in the playoffs.

Wrong again. He was signed because of the back injury to D Brown.

Sorry, I'm not going to call Devin Brown "significant".

He (glenn robinson) played in the playoffs, but saying he played "quite a bit" is a stretch. He didn't play in almost any of the clutch games, and he missed a big chunk of games because of some family problem.

ChumpDumper
03-16-2006, 12:55 AM
Bown is our best defender.

Udrih is our backup point guard.

I don't think we'd be "devestated" if we lost both of them for a stretch of the regular season.We're not even a .500 team without Bowen.

And any team would have to consider signing a new player to replace the 56 minutes played and 26 points per game that the Mavs have lost.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-16-2006, 12:57 AM
We're not even a .500 team without Bowen.

Wait, say that again...