PDA

View Full Version : Marbury: "I've Gotta Be Me"!

jochhejaam
03-15-2006, 02:40 PM
He claims the way Brown has him playing hasn't helped the team and says he needs to go back to being "Starbury", the self proclaimed best point guard in the game.
I think the Knicks are stuck with him as he's owed $60 mil over the next 3 years.

Brown challenges Marbury's desire for freedom
ESPN.com news services

Larry Brown didn't mind a little Philadelphia freedom, but things are different in New York.

The Knicks coach pounded away at Stephon Marbury, who has said in recent days that he plans to return to a free-wheeling style of play and wants more freedom on the court.

New salvos in Brown v. Starbury
The Larry Brown-Stephon Marbury feud escalated Wednesday morning at the New York Knicks' morning shootaround, with Marbury deriding Brown for getting "personal" in the day-by-day deterioration of a hate-hate relationship that keeps getting worse. Brown got in a few fresh jabs of his own, too, a day after asking everyone to compare his career record to Marbury's.

Check Chris Sheridan's Insider blog after 2 p.m. ET for the whole story.

"We're 17 and 45. You want to say because we don't have freedom that's why we're losing?" Brown said. "That's fine, you can say that all you want. But the reality is, we foul more than any team in the league; since the fifth week of the season we're the second-worst field-goal percentage defensive team in the league; we turn the ball over more than any team in the league; we're close to the fewest blocked shots of any team in the league.

"Now you want freedom? How are you gonna have freedom with those stats?"

On Saturday, Marbury said changing his play hadn't helped the team.

"I went into this year trying to do something, to put myself in a situation where we can win, OK?" Marbury was quoted as saying. "To help the team win games. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. So, what do I do now, as far as the way I play? I go back to playing like Stephon Marbury, aka Starbury. I haven't been Starbury this year. I've been some other dude this year."

He followed that up with more discontent this week. Brown's response Tuesday: "That means, 'I ain't thinking about all those things that really are relevant. I ain't thinking about any of those things.' "

The coach also attacked comparisons between how he handled Allen Iverson while coach of the 76ers and how he's handling Marbury.

"[Iverson] came to every game trying to win, as hard as he possibly could," Brown said. "Played hurt, broken down, competed every single night, and we had a team around him that accepted what he could do. And they all knew that every single night he's trying to win the game. ... He competed every single minute of every game."

The relationship between Brown and Marbury has been closely watched since Brown became the Knicks coach last summer. Marbury is a point guard who prefers to score, and Brown has been demanding on point guards throughout his career. There were doubts the two could get along, and that gulf has widened this week.

"I've been coaching how many years? A long time," Brown said. "I never left a team in worse shape than I got it. Not once. Now think about that. Think about me and think about the guy who's talking. All right? I've never asked anything of my players any different than I'm doing right now. Think about that.

[Brown said] "The bottom line is, I want us to rebound, defend, share the ball, play hard. That's all. Now if you can't do that, if that's not important enough to you, it's not on me."

Marbury's average of 17.2 points going into Wednesday was his lowest since he scored 15.8 per game as a rookie with Minnesota in 1996-97.

Growing pains between Starbury and Brown or is this how it's gonna be?
It'll be difficult to unload him with his salary of $60 mil over the next 3 years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2369333

Obstructed_View
03-15-2006, 05:38 PM
[https://home.comcast.net/~scottjhepple/Pictures/Starbury.jpg

CharlieMac
03-15-2006, 11:05 PM
Yeah teams usually do well when Marbury is himself.

Pistons < Spurs
03-15-2006, 11:35 PM
Knicks' Brown, Marbury escalate war of words

The bickering between New York Knicks coach Larry Brown and point guard Stephon Marbury escalated into a verbal brawl on Wednesday after the team's morning shootaround, with Marbury saying their dispute has become personal and Brown claiming Marbury hasn't taken responsibility for his role in Knicks' disastrous season.

"I think it's personal now," Marbury told ESPN.com's Chris Sheridan, reacting to comments made by Brown on Tuesday. "I don't think it's about basketball anymore. Now it's to the point where he's putting his 30-year career against my 10-year career. You know, coach is a great coach is what everyone says. We're supposed to be better than what we are. Did it happen now? No."

He also said Brown's comments on Tuesday -- in which he put up his record against Marbury's, pointing out he'd never left a team in worse shape than when he took over, and asked reporters to compare respective track records -- were a sign of insecurity on Brown's part.

"He always crosses the line," Marbury told Sheridan. "That's not nothing new. Certain coaches deal with certain things certain ways, and he handles his things through the media as opposed to sitting down and talking with people. And still, if you sit down and you talk with coach, it's liable to get back to everybody, so you're really not safe there either."

Brown's reply?

"So, you're the best guard in the league and the team is 17-45, yeah, it's the coach's fault," Brown told Sheridan. "I don't know why you play a team sport and not be concerned about making your teammates better and helping your team win games. That's the only thing that really matters, and if you're the best player, surely you're going to have some effect on the game's outcome."

The media-fueled fistfight between Brown and Marbury began in earnest Saturday, when Marbury complained he had not been given enough freedom on offense. Marbury is a point guard who prefers to score, and Brown has been demanding on point guards throughout his career. There were doubts the two could get along, and the tension between them boiled over this week.

"We're 17 and 45. You want to say because we don't have freedom that's why we're losing?" Brown told reporters on Tuesday. "That's fine, you can say that all you want. But the reality is, we foul more than any team in the league; since the fifth week of the season we're the second-worst field-goal percentage defensive team in the league; we turn the ball over more than any team in the league; we're close to the fewest blocked shots of any team in the league.

"Now you want freedom? How are you gonna have freedom with those stats?"

On Saturday, Marbury said changing his play hadn't helped the team.

"I went into this year trying to do something, to put myself in a situation where we can win, OK?" Marbury was quoted as saying. "To help the team win games. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. So, what do I do now, as far as the way I play? I go back to playing like Stephon Marbury, aka Starbury. I haven't been Starbury this year. I've been some other dude this year."

Marbury followed that up with more discontent this week. Brown's response Tuesday: "That means, 'I ain't thinking about all those things that really are relevant. I ain't thinking about any of those things.' "

The coach also attacked comparisons between how he handled Allen Iverson while coach of the 76ers and how he's handling Marbury.

"[Iverson] came to every game trying to win, as hard as he possibly could," Brown said. "Played hurt, broken down, competed every single night, and we had a team around him that accepted what he could do. And they all knew that every single night he's trying to win the game. ... He competed every single minute of every game."

"I've been coaching how many years? A long time," Brown said. "I never left a team in worse shape than I got it. Not once. Now think about that. Think about me and think about the guy who's talking. All right? I've never asked anything of my players any different than I'm doing right now. Think about that.

"The bottom line is, I want us to rebound, defend, share the ball, play hard. That's all. Now if you can't do that, if that's not important enough to you, it's not on me."

Marbury's average of 17.2 points going into Wednesday was his lowest since he scored 15.8 per game as a rookie with Minnesota in 1996-97.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2369333

spurs=bling
03-16-2006, 12:13 AM
[https://home.comcast.net/~scottjhepple/Pictures/Starbury.jpg
:lol

TDMVPDPOY
03-16-2006, 01:27 AM
non of the guys on there team can play defense anyway, doesnt fit browns system or adapt to it.

jochhejaam
03-16-2006, 06:44 AM
Knicks score 121 pts in a win over the Hawks and STARbury goes 2-7 from the field and 4-10 from the line for 8 pts in 30 minutes. WOW!

GrandeDavid
03-16-2006, 08:24 AM
Or should we refer to him as "Starburied"? As in a Starburied career with zero playoff series wins in ten pro seasons. A Starburied career for becoming a notorious cancer on each and every team he joins. As in Starburied in his own hometown, New York, where he cannot even step on the floor of the Garden without getting drenched with angry boos.

Stephon Marbury = NBA Loser.

And this is not to let the Knicks off the hook, who will probably win the NBA draft lottery but must forfeit that pick due to yet another horrific deal by the most incompetent "General Manager" in the history of basketball. How in God's name does Isaiah Thomas continue to get NBA gigs ranking higher than towel boy status? Maybe he could quit and become a ball handling consultant for the Hawks or Raptors.

And as for Larry Brown, he's getting what he deserved. His ego overran his sense of logic. He had to have known what he was getting into. He left a great thing in Detroit for this trash heap. Larry is looking pretty stupid right now.

But all in all, while I think the Knicks are the highest payrolled joke-of-a-team in professional sports in recent memory, and while I find Larry Brown to have become a crusty old X and O guy, I put most of this on Stephon Marbury.

I wouldn't have this guy on the Spurs roster for free. Even if he became some sort of born again team-oriented player and had his extremely inflated salary cancelled and agreed to come off the bench...still, I would never dream of trading Udrih for him.

Stephon Marbury is a poster child of a loser hanging in Times Square.

Chris
03-16-2006, 08:30 AM
Or should we refer to him as "Starburied"? As in a Starburied career with zero playoff series wins in ten pro seasons. A Starburied career for becoming a notorious cancer on each and every team he joins. As in Starburied in his own hometown, New York, where he cannot even step on the floor of the Garden without getting drenched with angry boos.

And this is not to let the Knicks off the hook, who will probably win the NBA draft lottery but must forfeit that pick due to yet another horrific deal by the most incompetent "General Manager" in the history of basketball. How in God's name does Isaiah Thomas continue to get NBA gigs ranking higher than towel boy status? Maybe he could quit and become a ball handling consultant for the Hawks or Raptors.

And as for Larry Brown, he's getting what he deserved. His ego overran his sense of logic. He had to have known what he was getting into. He left a great thing in Detroit for this trash heap. Larry is looking pretty stupid right now.

But all in all, while I think the Knicks are the highest payrolled joke-of-a-team in professional sports in recent memory, and while I find Larry Brown to have become a crusty old X and O guy, I put most of this on Stephon Marbury.

I wouldn't have this guy on the Spurs roster for free. Even if he became some sort of born again team-oriented player and had his extremely inflated salary cancelled and agreed to come off the bench...still, I would never dream of trading Udrih for him.

Excellent post!

DarkReign
03-16-2006, 12:56 PM

My God. It doesnt get more concise than that!

Bravo!