PDA

View Full Version : Nashless Suns have trouble finding the court

Trainwreck2100
03-15-2006, 04:11 PM
per Brushback.com

PHOENIX--With MVP Steve Nash injured, the Phoenix Suns had their 11-game winning streak snapped on Thursday night against the San Antonio Spurs. Earlier that evening, they spent close to an hour trying to find their way out of the locker room without their captain leading the way. Luckily, they emerged in time to be crushed by 24 points.

Coach Mike D’Antoni said the incident illustrated just how important Nash is to his team.

“That right there will tell you why this guy is the MVP,” D’Antoni told reporters after the game. “We’re not the same team without him. It’s like night and day. We lost by 24 points, and what’s worse, we couldn’t find our way out of the locker room. We need Steve out there to lead the way. Which reminds me – can somebody tie my shoe for me? I can’t find Steve anywhere.”

If there was any doubt Nash is the MVP again this year, Thursday’s incident put it to rest.

“If he doesn’t win it again this year there is definitely something wrong,” D’Antoni said. “I mean, we can’t get out of our own way without him. One of our guys actually forgot how to dribble at one point. Luckily I had the presence of mind to yell ‘Drive the ball into the floor! And then when it bounces back, drive it again! Repeat this over and over until you shoot or pass!’ Whew. That was some heavy duty coaching I did out there. Did somebody say ‘Coach of the Year?’”

The locker room incident took place about an hour before tip off. Several players could be seen standing outside the door wondering which way to go before veteran Shawn Marion motioned for his teammates to follow him. Unfortunately he led them to the parking garage, then to a broom closet, and finally back to the locker room. It wasn’t until a security guard pointed them in the right direction that the team was able to find the court.

“Goddamn. We’ve done this so many times before, but we just forgot where we were going, plain and simple,” said Marion. “Usually Steve is there and we just sort of follow him and we always end up in the right place. This time it was difficult. That place is like a maze! I never even noticed it before. Thank God for that security guard or we might have missed the game.”

The heroic security guard who assisted the Suns refused to take any credit, saying he was just doing his job. He did, however, admit to being mildly amused by the team’s plight.

“That was, um, funny, I guess,” said the guard, Will Cordaro. “I mean it was kind of sad, too. But it’s definitely a testament to how much Steve Nash means to this team. You should’ve seen them walking around in circles. It was just like that scene in Spinal Tap when the band is lost in the tunnel. Remember? ‘Hello, Cleveland!’ Except the band was in an unfamiliar place, not their home arena. And they were stoned rock stars, not pro athletes. Oh, and they were acting.”

Nash rushed back into the lineup for the Suns next game, a 110-102 victory against the Timberwolves. He also defended his teammates, saying that they’re all “great players” but just need a little help “gelling” on the court.

“This is as talented a team as I’ve ever played on,” said Nash, who had 31 points and 11 assists against the Wolves. “Shawn Marion, Boris [Diaw], Tim Thomas – these guys can play. It’s just that the point guard position is very important and when the starting point guard is out it creates a lot of confusion during the game, during practice, in the locker room, and in the tunnels between the locker room and the court.”

Nash then excused himself so he could go help teammate Raja Bell zip up his jacket.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Lmao.

That's a good advertisement idea. Have Nash "assisting" them in various tasks.

mavsfan1000
03-15-2006, 05:03 PM
Alright Nash has helped the suns but the suns are quite talented without Nash to. Marion is just as valuable as Nash. Either player goes down they are in trouble.

yeahone
03-15-2006, 08:41 PM
haha nice article

exstatic
03-15-2006, 08:43 PM
Alright Nash has helped the suns but the suns are quite talented without Nash to. Marion is just as valuable as Nash. Either player goes down they are in trouble.
Suns aren't even a .500 team without Nash. Bury the hate.

ColoradoSpursFan
03-15-2006, 09:16 PM
I find it amusing that any NBA team has a problem finding their way out of the locker room at home!

They definately have their heads up their a**!

I guess it must be really confusing when you play 40 plus games a year including playoffs.

I was hoping it was a joke...