PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Udrih filling Spurs' backup needs

timvp
03-16-2006, 05:56 AM
Signs (even from fans) point to Udrih filling Spurs' backup needs
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

As he waits for his left elbow to heal, Nick Van Exel sits behind the Spurs' bench and offers advice to Beno Udrih, as well as the occasional scouting report.

Sunday, Van Exel told Udrih to look across the court during a home game against Houston. Seated near the baseline was a girl whose sign read: "Beno, Will You Be My Prom Date?"

"If I wasn't shy," Udrih said with a smile, "I would go."

Udrih's teammates would laugh at that. Off and on the court, the Spurs' 23-year-old backup point guard has shed a lot of his naiveté.

Stronger and more confident, Udrih has done more than fill in for Van Exel. He has given the Spurs another valuable option off the bench, averaging 11 points on 57.1 percent shooting in 19.8 minutes over his past six games.

"I think he really understands there's a bright future in front of him," Brent Barry said.

As Udrih's role has grown, so has his popularity. Google "Beno Udrih" and among the thousands of responses is a fan site declaring him "The Slovenian Phenom." If Sunday was any indication, "Beno's Girl" T-shirts may be on street corners by the playoffs.

Of course, 10 months ago the only people clamoring for Udrih were Detroit Pistons fans.

After a productive rookie season in which he averaged 5.9 points and 1.9 assists while backing up Tony Parker, Udrih struggled in the NBA Finals. Lindsey Hunter stapled him to the sideline in Games 3 and 4, and Udrih responded to the pressure by losing the ball, helping trigger Detroit's two lopsided victories.

After coach Gregg Popovich benched Udrih and shortened the rotation to seven players for the rest of the series, Pistons fans pleaded with Popovich in Game 5 to put Udrih back in. Even when the Spurs visited Detroit on Christmas, a group of hecklers shouted, "We want Beno!"

"From a pride perspective, it definitely hurt," said Spurs assistant coach Brett Brown, who has worked with Udrih the past two seasons. "So he didn't deliver in his first NBA Finals at (22)? There are a lot worse things that could happen."

Popovich made it clear after the season that Udrih needed to mature and get tougher. Signing a veteran point guard became a priority.

Van Exel's arrival initially made Udrih question his future, but he soon embraced the chance to learn from him. He also spent part of last summer training with Slovenia's national team and became a more frequent visitor to the weight room.

As a rookie, Udrih tested the patience of Brown and the other coaches. He arrived late to workouts, and when he did get there, he didn't fully dedicate himself.

"From a professional standpoint, he's improved dramatically," Brown said. "He's grown up."

And out. After losing some weight while suffering from the flu in January, he since has packed on more muscle.

"I feel stronger, more aggressive," Udrih said. "I have more energy. Last year, I was maybe shy, maybe not confident."

Udrih also is more knowledgeable about the NBA and his job. He admitted that, last season, when the coaches quizzed the Spurs on the morning of games about who they would be guarding, his usual response was, "I don't know him."

Popovich and his staff soon tired of Udrih using his inexperience as an excuse.

"Sometimes players need a hard hand, or somebody who's harsh on you," Udrih said. "I appreciate everything Pop did for me. I think that made me a better player."

Udrih also has needed thick skin to survive in the Spurs' veteran-filled locker room.

"If something's going on and Beno's around," Barry said, "he will be targeted."

When Udrih showed up for a game in Utah wearing red corduroy pants and a red corduroy overshirt with beige and white trim, Barry snapped off 10 photos. Barry initially planned to send the pictures to NBA commissioner David Stern in hopes of getting the league's dress code repealed. Now, he and Sean Marks may start a Web site to distribute them.

"Soon," Barry said, "they could be coming to an iPod near you."

Udrih has handled the ribbing well, in part, because Barry is his closest friend on the team. The two frequently go to lunch together on the road, and Barry has helped ease Udrih's transition.

"You can talk to him about anything," Udrih said. "I'm really lucky and happy he's here."

Udrih's also glad to have Van Exel, whom Popovich credits for helping Udrih and Parker. On those days when Van Exel's elbow troubled him, he reminded Udrih to stay ready.

Most of the time, he has been. In the 12 games in which he's played at least 15 minutes, Udrih has averaged 10 points. He ranks behind only Parker, Manu Ginobili and Tim Duncan on the team in points per minute.

Udrih has given the Spurs another shooter — he's made 7 of 15 3-pointers in the past six games — as well as someone who can play behind and with Parker, helping the team match up against small lineups. With Popovich leaning toward resting Van Exel at least another three weeks, Udrih figures to get more time to contribute.

And maybe even a few more prom invitations.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA031606.1C.BKNspurs.udrih.1761ba21.html

timvp
03-16-2006, 05:57 AM
After coach Gregg Popovich benched Udrih and shortened the rotation to seven players for the rest of the series, Pistons fans pleaded with Popovich in Game 5 to put Udrih back in. Even when the Spurs visited Detroit on Christmas, a group of hecklers shouted, "We want Beno!"

:lmao

Pistons fans are awesome :rollin

Slo spurs fan
03-16-2006, 06:49 AM
Are you wet now timvp?

Kamnik
03-16-2006, 07:01 AM
nice article

Beno is my favourite player amongst the Slovenians in the NBA

nice to hear he is close with Barry because Brent is such a great guy with a cool sence of humor

when Spurs drafted Beno i was crazy happy for him because he came to the best organisation/coach/team in my opinion and i sure hope he will get succed with the Spurs

even though he could maybe thrive somewhere else where he would be a starter or so

but if he keeps up playing well i know Pop will give him minutes

so its up to him

Slomo
03-16-2006, 07:18 AM
This article illustrates very well something timvp and myself (among others) said when Beno was drafted: That success in the NBA is not guaranteed, but that he has been drafted by the organisation that will give him the best chance to do so. The way Pop treats his players has to knock some sense into a rookie's head.

I'm really happy for Beno that things seems to go in the right direction for him.

I do have a question though:

Who will be the first female SpursTalk member to post a picture in this forum wearing a "Beno's Girl" T-Shirt? :lol

TDMVPDPOY
03-16-2006, 08:06 AM
the guys who been callin out beno pwned.

i wanna see these chicks who wear beno's girl tshirts.

GoSpurs21
03-16-2006, 09:41 AM
:lmao

Pistons fans are awesome :rollinwhy dont you join them?

angel_luv
03-16-2006, 11:21 AM
Cute article.

As he waits for his left elbow to heal, Nick Van Exel sits behind the Spurs' bench and offers advice to Beno Udrih, as well as the occasional scouting report.

Sunday, Van Exel told Udrih to look across the court during a home game against Houston. Seated near the baseline was a girl whose sign read: "Beno, Will You Be My Prom Date?"

"If I wasn't shy," Udrih said with a smile, "I would go."

I bet if that prom chick reads it, she clips the article and takes it to the party with her. :)

Beno's awesome. I am really happy he's adjusted and settled here. And I am very proud of how well he is doing. :)

angel_luv
03-16-2006, 11:34 AM
Who will be the first female SpursTalk member to post a picture in this forum wearing a "Beno's Girl" T-Shirt? :lol

I think everyone here knows I am all about representing slovenia :angel

FromWayDowntown
03-16-2006, 11:46 AM
"If something's going on and Beno's around," Barry said, "he will be targeted."

When Udrih showed up for a game in Utah wearing red corduroy pants and a red corduroy overshirt with beige and white trim, Barry snapped off 10 photos. Barry initially planned to send the pictures to NBA commissioner David Stern in hopes of getting the league's dress code repealed. Now, he and Sean Marks may start a Web site to distribute them.

"Soon," Barry said, "they could be coming to an iPod near you."

Udrih has handled the ribbing well, in part, because Barry is his closest friend on the team. The two frequently go to lunch together on the road, and Barry has helped ease Udrih's transition.

"You can talk to him about anything," Udrih said. "I'm really lucky and happy he's here."

Somehow, I expected to read the next sentence: "I just can't quit him."
For some inexplicable reason, I read this passage and have an instant flashback to the video of that uncomfortable moment that Brent and Beno shared at the end of Game 7 of the Finals.

Perhaps it's just me.

boutons_
03-16-2006, 11:52 AM
Yes, when I read "Beno and Brent are close", I remembered Brent throwing off Beno when Beno was trying to hug Brent from behind on the sidelines. :lol

Slo spurs fan
03-16-2006, 11:54 AM
I think you two are just jealous. :)

angel_luv
03-16-2006, 12:04 PM
That would have been so sad for Beno if Brent had been traded. Boosh! :(

Thank God, it didn't happen. :)

ducks
03-16-2006, 12:07 PM
beno is starting to get good trade value

I would not be shocked to see him thrown in a deal to move rasho if spurs decide to keep nazr

angel_luv
03-16-2006, 12:18 PM
beno is starting to get good trade value

I would not be shocked to see him thrown in a deal to move rasho if spurs decide to keep nazr

Sigh.

Where we going? :)

I heard that the Spurs are shopping around bundle of Rasho, Beno, and Angel_Luv
(Angel_luv's salary is defined in the new CBA as NBA Groupie Minimum)

:lol

san antonio spurs
03-16-2006, 12:20 PM
Lol ducks,
way to kill the love party
________
How to roll a joint (http://howtorollajoint.net/)

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-16-2006, 02:01 PM
What? Angel Luv is only getting the groupie minimum? I figured a groupie with her dedication would be a highly prized free agent! I for one (and I'm sure there are others on this board) could use someone to follow me around, cheering for me even on days where the quality of my work is poor, defending me against any and all detractors, holding up home made signs telling the world how awesome I am. How long a contract do the Slovenians have you signed to? Once it's up have your agent PM me regarding how you want to structure the deal.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
03-16-2006, 02:12 PM
I'l hold my judgement on Beno until I see him handle pressure in the playoffs

SpursWoman
03-16-2006, 02:16 PM

Funny ... Chris & I have talked about something similar to that several times:

Chris: "What the hell is up with the Rasho lust in the forum?
God, it's even painful to read it..."

Me: "No shit ... Why the hell is it Rasho?? if it's the foreign attraction at least choose Beno. He's really cute and looks, you know .... like rigor mortis hasn't set in yet."

Chris: "Yeah...no kidding. And I don't get the Manu love either....."

Me: http://www.boomspeed.com/sweetc/ywhistle.gif *changes subject*

Phenomanul
03-16-2006, 02:24 PM

Me: "No shit ... Why the hell is it Rasho?? if it's the foreign attraction at least choose Beno. He's really cute and looks, you know .... like rigor mortis hasn't set in yet."

Me: http://www.boomspeed.com/sweetc/ywhistle.gif *changes subject*

:lol :lol don't let the devil play with 'fire'.... or he will make his home in it...

Slomo
03-16-2006, 02:34 PM

Me: http://www.boomspeed.com/sweetc/ywhistle.gif *changes subject*:lol

You wuss, you stoped when the conversation was getting interesting! :p

SpursWoman
03-16-2006, 02:44 PM

You wuss, you stoped when the conversation was getting interesting! :p

Yeah ... but I think I was trying to get some at the time. I strongly felt that the path of that conversation would have cock-blocked my efforts, so to speak. :lol

Slomo
03-16-2006, 02:47 PM
Damn, that's a good excuse! http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/Emoticons/devil_naughty.gif

Buddy Holly
03-16-2006, 03:03 PM
Beno has been playing really well.

angel_luv
03-16-2006, 05:55 PM
What? Angel Luv is only getting the groupie minimum? I figured a groupie with her dedication would be a highly prized free agent! I for one (and I'm sure there are others on this board) could use someone to follow me around, cheering for me even on days where the quality of my work is poor, defending me against any and all detractors, holding up home made signs telling the world how awesome I am. How long a contract do the Slovenians have you signed to? Once it's up have your agent PM me regarding how you want to structure the deal.

Rasho and Beno (there Spurswoman! :) ) are so darn cute (not to mention talented :) sweet :) smart :)funny :)etc. etc.)- how can I help but be forever devoted?

P.S.
Spurs fan in exile = C :fro :fro LNESS

:)

T Park
03-16-2006, 06:02 PM
This thread went right down the shitter...

SpursWoman
03-16-2006, 06:08 PM
Sorry ... I should have added some "goddamns" and some "shitfucks" to keep it interesting. :tu

T Park
03-16-2006, 06:13 PM
No your post was funny, your posts are always great SW.

Its the, "others"

The fawning over players as sex symbols, especially the stiffs, gets old.

SequSpur
03-16-2006, 08:54 PM
No your post was funny, your posts are always great SW.

Its the, "others"

http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10672/STFURETARD.JPG

SpursWoman
03-16-2006, 09:09 PM

I agree. :)

T Park
03-16-2006, 09:13 PM
another intelligent post from our shortest poster.....

angel_luv
03-16-2006, 09:16 PM
Sequ = short, sweet ( well, sort of :angel :lol) and (definitely) to the point. :)