PDA

View Full Version : Power Rankings - March 15

WayDowntownBang
03-16-2006, 07:19 AM
Quick.. name the top three teams in the league.

The order is debatable. Detroit, San Antonio, Dallas? Dallas, Detroit, San Antonio? San Antonio, Dallas, Detroit?

Now, click the link.

http://www.nba.com/features/power_rankings.html

This cracks me up. NBA bias rules. The feature editor is already defending his top 5 before he even announces them. Hrm.. does someone know that he's full of shit? As a Piston fan, you're going to call me biased, but I'm thinking Detroit is pretty close to where they should be.. at least top 3.

But Miami #2? Say hello to the NBA's PRAYER that Miami is competitive in the last 20 games. Been playing well.. but higher than Detroit, Dallas and Phoenix? I think that's a stretch. San Antonio in the 1 spot is about right for now.

bmarshall
03-16-2006, 07:42 AM
I know noone cares what I think, this being my first post and all, but I agree with you. Miami in no way deserves to be number two

rose3121
03-16-2006, 08:52 AM
ok, i will jump in with my first post too, (longtime lurker)- Miami does not deserve j# 2, and when did the Mavs beat us at home???

mrose31
03-16-2006, 08:53 AM
Whoever did these ranking is stupid too because mavs have not won in San Antonio either. Do some research man before you post.

smeagol
03-16-2006, 08:53 AM
I know noone cares what I think, this being my first post and all, but I agree with you. Miami in no way deserves to be number two
Welcome! (unless you are mouse)

Dunc
03-16-2006, 09:02 AM
"We also consider factors like how the teams are playing at the moment, the strength of teams they've recently beaten (or been beaten by) as well as their upcoming schedules and any key injuries."
Miami has beaten (since their victory over Detroit) Orlando twice, New York, Boston, Atlanta, Charlotte (in OT), Washington, Cleveland, and Utah. Lost to Golden State at home. Definitely peaking against the best, lol.

FreshPrince22
03-16-2006, 09:08 AM
Screw em. I hope Miami gets false-confidence out of this strech of garbage teams they're beating. I'm glad people are starting to overlook Detroit for South Beach. Homecourt advantange.... AND underdogs?? What could be a better situation?

And Dallas at 5? :lol

1a. Detroit
1b. San Antonio
1c. Dallas
4. Phoenix
5. Miami

samikeyp
03-16-2006, 09:13 AM
I think you are right on WDB. We could debate the Det/SA/Dall thing but I think all sides would agree that those three are 1,2,3 in some order.

GoSpurs21
03-16-2006, 09:22 AM
I think any team that is not the Spurs is #2
ok enough of the jr high school jokes
please someone remind me when dallas won on SA's court this year...get your facts straight

WayDowntownBang
03-16-2006, 09:26 AM
I think you are right on WDB. We could debate the Det/SA/Dall thing but I think all sides would agree that those three are 1,2,3 in some order.

It just seems like these are put up to get interest on the website in which it was posted. Putting Miami at #2.. there's no words for it. But, you can't get mad. You laugh a bit, and move on. Let Miami be #1 for all I care. There's an article out there I just read that put the New York Knicks as the 'most profitable franchise in the NBA' as of now.

You can keep your power rankings as your most profitable. Spursfans, Pistonfans.. we'll be butting heads in the Finals as usual :elephant

rayray2k8
03-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Why did they put Miami at #2? And why is Detriot 4?
Well at least they got the knicks right. :lol

Obstructed_View
03-16-2006, 04:49 PM
I'm not surprised by that at all. It's a week to week thing, and Miami is playing pretty good ball lately. Since Miami and Detroit last met, a game Miami won, Detroit has lost 3 games. Miami has lost 1. It seems pretty simple, kids. It's not a list of who the best team is or it wouldn't change much from week to week.

SA Gunslinger
03-16-2006, 05:13 PM
Homecourt advantage between the Spurs and Mavs might not be so critical. Each team has won one this season in the other club's gym.

Mavs have not won in SA or did I miss something.

Duncanoypi
03-16-2006, 05:17 PM
^i also have this same thinking...Dallas won their first game in Dallas...and spurs were up 2 to 1...

JMarkJohns
03-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Screw em. I hope Miami gets false-confidence out of this strech of garbage teams they're beating. I'm glad people are starting to overlook Detroit for South Beach. Homecourt advantange.... AND underdogs?? What could be a better situation?

And Dallas at 5? :lol

1a. Detroit
1b. San Antonio
1c. Dallas
4. Phoenix
5. Miami

Is it just me or didn't the Suns just defeat Dallas, in Dallas? Yeah... That's right! I believe they did. I also believe the Suns have won 15 of 17, losing to the #1 Spurs and a trap game at Portland.

I believe that right now, with all that, Dallas is below Phoenix.

As for the NBA.com poll...
Don't even get me started on Miami. Phoenix spanked their ass twice this year and have been just as hot of late.

1. San Antonio
2a. Detroit
2b. Phoenix
3. Dallas
5. Miami

Peter
03-16-2006, 06:29 PM
Spurs do not deserve to be #1. That being said, 'power rankings' are a crock.

Obstructed_View
03-16-2006, 10:05 PM
Is it just me or didn't the Suns just defeat Dallas, in Dallas? Yeah... That's right! I believe they did. I also believe the Suns have won 15 of 17, losing to the #1 Spurs and a trap game at Portland.

I believe that right now, with all that, Dallas is below Phoenix.

As for the NBA.com poll...
Don't even get me started on Miami. Phoenix spanked their ass twice this year and have been just as hot of late.

1. San Antonio
2a. Detroit
2b. Phoenix
3. Dallas
5. Miami

In addition to having Miami at 1 or 2, I'd have had Phoenix higher as well. The only place that the excuse of Nash being out of the lineup is valid is in the power rankings.

JMarkJohns
03-17-2006, 09:37 PM
I didn't even bring Nash into things. The Suns deserve 2b even had they lost to the Spurs with Nash.

15-17 with wins over the Mavs, the Clips, the Nugs... They've beaten everyone of significance lately, except San Antonio and Detroit, but has played better of late than Detroit, thus 2b.

Obstructed_View
03-17-2006, 11:04 PM
I didn't even bring Nash into things. The Suns deserve 2b even had they lost to the Spurs with Nash.

15-17 with wins over the Mavs, the Clips, the Nugs... They've beaten everyone of significance lately, except San Antonio and Detroit, but has played better of late than Detroit, thus 2b.
Did you realize I was agreeing with you? Just checking. I would still have had Miami above Dallas, Detroit and Phoenix. I'd not really have thought it odd if they'd been above San Antonio, who has been winning but not playing terribly well.

JMarkJohns
03-17-2006, 11:09 PM
I've had words put in my mouth many a time here. Just clarifying my point.

I realized you agreed, but wasn't quite sure as to why. Thought you thought I was copping the "Nash was hurt" lamy for the Spurs loss. I wasn't. I see now you didn't.

So... Good win tonight. Oh that Pops *exaggerated fury*

Sports Guy is an idiot having Miami where he does. I guess he just looks at the win-loss column and concludes, rather than watching the games and seeing their schedule, which is, laughable over their past 10.

Anyways... After tonight, it's still San Antonio #1, with Detroit and Phoenix tied at #2. Dallas a close fourth and Miami a distant fifth.

Obstructed_View
03-17-2006, 11:17 PM
So wins and losses dont mean anything? Okay, then I guess they should just copy the "NBA Standings" page every week and rename it "powerranking.html" That would save a lot of time.

JMarkJohns
03-17-2006, 11:38 PM
So wins and losses dont mean anything? Okay, then I guess they should just copy the "NBA Standings" page every week and rename it "powerranking.html" That would save a lot of time.

???... it shouldn't just be about a 3-0 team or 4-0 team. The Suns just lost to the Spurs... fine. That means they are under the Spurs. However, they have killed Miami twice, once within the last month and recently beat the Mavs in Dallas.

That means they are better than those two.

They are also 15 and 3 in their last 18, with two losses coming to the Leagues best team, San Antonio.

Maybe I don't see where you are going with this?

Are you saying that the Suns loss tonight should drop them? Even with everything I've given? If so, I do disagree and won't back away either.

The Suns have clearly been one of the best teams recently and have been so against some very good competition.

Of course wins and losses mean a lot, but are they the end-all, be-all? In my opinion, no. At least not a week's worth. If two or three games is all that's needed to determine the best teams, then shit!

Dallas got closer tonight because of the Suns and Pistons losses. Same with Miami, who is, barely beating sub-.500 teams of late, let us recall.

Obstructed_View
03-18-2006, 07:07 PM
They are also 15 and 3 in their last 18, with two losses coming to the Leagues best team, San Antonio.

Actually Phoenix has gone 14-4 in their last 18, two of those losses were to teams that won't make the playoffs. Miami has lost twice in the last 16 games, including beating Detroit. San Antonio has lost twice in the last 13 games. On a weekly power rankings chart who should go higher? I wouldn't have a problem with any of those teams being at the top. That's why I don't understand anybody saying Miami somehow doesn't deserve to be there. Are they the best team? No. This isn't a "best team" chart. It's the power rankings. That's all I'm saying.

texbumTHElife
03-19-2006, 02:11 AM
Early April Fools

Please_dont_ban_me
03-19-2006, 04:02 AM
Ok, you could make a case for Miami.

But Phoenix? How in the hell are they above Dallas? Wow.

mikejones99
03-19-2006, 04:08 AM
Miami could win in Detroit wednesday, then they would have to be 2nd.

Obstructed_View
03-19-2006, 04:19 AM
Ok, you could make a case for Miami.

But Phoenix? How in the hell are they above Dallas? Wow.
Phoenix beat Dallas. Dallas has lost 3 of its last 10. People should probably realize that if it were a ranking of who would win in a seven game series the Spurs would be 1 and Detroit would be 2 all season. That would be kind of boring.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-19-2006, 04:25 AM
Phoenix beat Dallas. Dallas has lost 3 of its last 10. People should probably realize that if it were a ranking of who would win in a seven game series the Spurs would be 1 and Detroit would be 2 all season. That would be kind of boring.

Beating a team doesn't mean you belong above them. The Clippers beat us.

So they lost 3 out of 10. Going 7-3 is not horrible. If that's "bad" then I guess the team has been pretty damn good all season.