PDA

View Full Version : "Diop Diop" Song...

LEONARD
03-16-2006, 03:05 PM
Pretty funny. Somewhat tongue in cheek of course, since Diop is really just a role player, and a borderline spare. They've played it during a timeout at both of the Mavs games I've been to this year...

http://aol.nba.com/media/mavericks/diop.wmv

I figured Spurs fans might get a kick out of it... :lol

Obstructed_View
03-16-2006, 03:42 PM
It's funny that the Mavs had one of the best shot blockers in history on their team and hated him, but now that they are all about defense, they love Diop.

LEONARD
03-16-2006, 03:57 PM
Are you seriously comparing Bradley to Diop?? :oops

Being on the all-time shot block list (#10 or something?) means nothing. Diop brings energy, effort, and defense along with the ability to block a shot here and there. Bradley brought a bag of nothing, along with the ability to block shots due to being 7'6" ONLY. It certainly wasn't due to effort or hustle...

He was hated because he rarely gave a good effort and did nothing in the off-season to get better or stronger. Other teams also fed off him being in the game because they hoped to get on a poster dunking on him (ie, TMac last season).

Him not being on the team is a big reason why the Mavs are much improved. The Mavs are paying him $4.5M this year, $4.8M next year, and $5.2M the next year...just for him to GO AWAY **cough** "retire." Even if he was the 12th guy on the bench this season and never played a minute, he'd still be bringing the team down. I'll take DJ Moose Mbenga over Bradley all day every day. At least he hustles and brings some energy to the court, despite having very little b-ball experience... (he's the definition of raw)

Obstructed_View
03-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Normally I'd say "I rest my case" because you've again proven my point, but you deserve some education as a newb.

No, I'm not comparing Bradley to Diop. Diop hasn't come close to earning comparison yet. Bradley was hated because the Mavs wanted him to score points. In addition, he is hated for the same reason Mavs fans have nothing good to say about Michael Finley. Bradley stepped up his defense in the playoffs, and always played good smart defense against Duncan and Robinson. Mavericks fans have very little room to bitch anyway, because it's not like they drafted him. Mark Cuban is the reason the team overpaid him and financially hamstrung the team TWICE, but it doesn't diminish his abilities as a player and a defender, and it certainly doesn't change the fact that he was as unappreciated as your current raw flash in the pan is overrated.

LEONARD
03-16-2006, 04:53 PM
Sooooooooo, since this was my first post I'm a "newb" and don't know what I'm talking about???

Bradley was hated because the Mavs wanted him to score points.

Not so much. I'm sure Mavs fans would've been more than happy with Bradley as a defender / shot blocker if had given EFFORT. He was servicable when he gave effort, but that was about 1 of every 5 games...the other 4 games he was a waste of space that might block a couple shots...

In addition, he is hated for the same reason Mavs fans have nothing good to say about Michael Finley.

Any "Mavs fan" that has nothing good to say about Finley isn't really a fan. He WAS the Mavs team for years, and was a solid player after Dirk and Nash came along. You can't deny his flaws though...below avg defender, doesn't get to the free throw line enough, and doesn't rebound well (seemed to be an effort thing, because he would always have a good rebounding game after Nellie jumped his ass). But he is (was) an above avg shooter for years (not so much now), he's a good FT shooter, and he's a solid leader / lockerroom guy. But he's aging and wasn't going to take an off-the-bench role here, so he had to go even though the Mavs are still paying him $17M/yr for 3 yrs. He didn't fit with Avery's plans...neither did Bradley...and I'd say it's worked out well since the Mavs are hanging right with the Spurs...

Bradley stepped up his defense in the playoffs, and always played good smart defense against Duncan and Robinson.

Uhhhhhhhhhh...I have to disagree. How did Bradley do against the Rockets last year??? He played less than 1 min (defending an inbound pass) after TMac made a fool of him.

Mavericks fans have very little room to bitch anyway, because it's not like they drafted him. Mark Cuban is the reason the team overpaid him and financially hamstrung the team TWICE, but it doesn't diminish his abilities as a player and a defender, and it certainly doesn't change the fact that he was as unappreciated

Yep, Cuban screwed up on Bradley...TWICE. You're right. But what's that have to do with Bradley being a lazy player after getting each of his fat contracts?? Your point is completely irrelevant to anything I said...

as your current raw flash in the pan is overrated.

I said Mbenga is raw. And I said Diop is a borderline spare (that's far from singing his praises, isn't it??!!) that plays his role well. Nothing more than that.

I don't know why I even bothered...I should've known that Spurs fans wouldn't find this funny...

Obstructed_View
03-16-2006, 05:08 PM
Snip blah blah blah snip

And I said Diop is a borderline spare (that's far from singing his praises, isn't it??!!) that plays his role well. Nothing more than that.

If he's a borderline spare, then why are we having this conversation? Having said that, you must obviously agree that Mavs fans falling all over Diop as though he's the second coming of Wilt is laughable. Suggesting that it was somehow Bradley's fault that he played one minute is also strange. Did he foul out? He attempted to block a shot by one of the top players in the league, where most guys would have ducked out of the way. I guess that doesn't translate into the effort conversation.

The fact that you posted the video doesn't mean I'm accusing you of doing any of those things. It also doesn't mean I don't think the video itself is kind of funny. It does, however, seem an awful lot of love for what is still a minor player.

LEONARD
03-16-2006, 05:27 PM
If he's a borderline spare, then why are we having this conversation? Having said that, you must obviously agree that Mavs fans falling all over Diop as though he's the second coming of Wilt is laughable.

Mainly because you somehow brought Bradley into a thread where the sole intention was to share a humorous video...nothing more. The fact that the video was made certainly doesn't mean that Mavs fans, or Mark Cuban, or anybody assosiated with the Mavs thinks that Diop is the next superstar center in the NBA. He is a nice pickup...a cheap ($$) role player...and the kind of guy that most good teams need on their team. If he didn't have a goofy last name, the video probably wouldn't have even been done!!

I'm not sure where you're running into these idiots that think Diop is the 2nd coming of Wilt??? He's a role player at best...anybody that says or thinks otherwise is an idiot. PERIOD.

Suggesting that it was somehow Bradley's fault that he played one minute is also strange. Did he foul out? He attempted to block a shot by one of the top players in the league, where most guys would have ducked out of the way. I guess that doesn't translate into the effort conversation.

Uhhhhhh...he pretty much did duck out of the way...
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1076/1495/30441.jpg

The fact that you posted the video doesn't mean I'm accusing you of doing any of those things. It also doesn't mean I don't think the video itself is kind of funny. It does, however, seem an awful lot of love for what is still a minor player.

Every team has one or two "spark" players that are fan favorites. For the Mavs it's DA and Diop because they give effort and usually make positive things happen. In the grand scheme of NBA skill, they're not near the top though. Najera used to fill that role. I think you're taking way more out of this video than what it was intended for. If you've never been to a Mavs game, they make all kinds of goofy videos with the players...

Obstructed_View
03-16-2006, 09:59 PM
Mainly because you somehow brought Bradley into a thread where the sole intention was to share a humorous video...nothing more.

First of all, this is a discussion board. If you don't want discussion about something you post, then you came to the wrong place. I made an observation that really had nothing to do with you, so there's no reason for you to be defensive about.

The fact that the video was made certainly doesn't mean that Mavs fans, or Mark Cuban, or anybody assosiated with the Mavs thinks that Diop is the next superstar center in the NBA. He is a nice pickup...a cheap ($$) role player...and the kind of guy that most good teams need on their team. If he didn't have a goofy last name, the video probably wouldn't have even been done!!

I'm not sure where you're running into these idiots that think Diop is the 2nd coming of Wilt??? He's a role player at best...anybody that says or thinks otherwise is an idiot. PERIOD.

I agree with the second part. As for where the idiots are, the answer is up here in Dallas. You can also find one or two of them posting here.

Uhhhhhh...he pretty much did duck out of the way...
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1076/1495/30441.jpg
If you watch the beginning of that play Bradley's being screened by Yao. If he hadn't tried for the block he wouldn't even have been in that picture.

Every team has one or two "spark" players that are fan favorites. For the Mavs it's DA and Diop because they give effort and usually make positive things happen. In the grand scheme of NBA skill, they're not near the top though. Najera used to fill that role. I think you're taking way more out of this video than what it was intended for. If you've never been to a Mavs game, they make all kinds of goofy videos with the players...

I can fully appreciate the value of the energy player on a team. I can fully appreciate the actual value of Diop and Armstrong. I am also going to comment on things in these forums, because I enjoy it. Sorry if you don't like that, but there it is.

Axare
03-17-2006, 08:09 AM
The two people in the video are irritating morons....

Pandaemonaeon
03-17-2006, 08:13 AM
What the FUCK!!! did I just watch?

LEONARD
03-17-2006, 09:00 AM
First of all, this is a discussion board. If you don't want discussion about something you post, then you came to the wrong place. I made an observation that really had nothing to do with you, so there's no reason for you to be defensive about

When you said this...

Normally I'd say "I rest my case" because you've again proven my point, but you deserve some education as a newb.

it twisted me the wrong way...I have no problem with discussions, or good natured $hit-talking on message boards. This isn't the first one I've registered on ;)

I agree with the second part. As for where the idiots are, the answer is up here in Dallas. You can also find one or two of them posting here.

If you watch the beginning of that play Bradley's being screened by Yao. If he hadn't tried for the block he wouldn't even have been in that picture

None of my buddies think that about Diop, and I've yet to hear any fan say anything to that effect...and I listen to sports talk radio all day every day.

I have a .GIF of the whole Bradley / TMac play, but it was too big to upload with my host. Bradley stepped over and weakly put his arm up towards TMac, then turned away and got tea-bagged. If he had any heart (or strength, again going back to him never having an off-season program to TRY to get stronger), he'd have hammered him...or at least prevented the dunk. It all goes back to a lack of effort with Bradley...that's the reason the fans and his teammates had a problem with him.

I can fully appreciate the value of the energy player on a team. I can fully appreciate the actual value of Diop and Armstrong. I am also going to comment on things in these forums, because I enjoy it. Sorry if you don't like that, but there it is.

I don't have any problems with comments, discussion, disagreements, or arguments, but do take offense to being told that I "deserve some education" because I'm a "newb"...having 2400 posts in the past year doesn't mean anything to me. It just means you've been registered here a year longer than me and you post a lot...

LEONARD
03-17-2006, 09:01 AM
The two people in the video are irritating morons....

What the FUCK!!! did I just watch?

Hahaha...both of you obviously don't get it... :lol

Pandaemonaeon
03-17-2006, 10:15 AM
I don't get it. You were fishing for responses and then you try to nitpick each one? The surprising part is that I never even said anything substantial about the video other than utter shock. But it's a discussion board, am I rite???? :lol

kalikot_boy_kr
03-17-2006, 10:39 AM
:elephant AWESOME MURONS VIDEO :elephant HAHAHA! OH MY GUDNESS! WHAT A FATS SINGER!! :lol

kalikot_boy_kr
03-17-2006, 10:42 AM
:elephant HAHAHA! NICE VIDEO! ITS REALLY FATS! :lol HAHAHA! :elephant

nkdlunch
03-17-2006, 01:17 PM
^ :lol

rayray2k8
03-17-2006, 02:50 PM
This dude :lol
Its nice to see that you guys really get behind your team.
I like that :)

Obstructed_View
03-17-2006, 06:53 PM
I don't get it. You were fishing for responses and then you try to nitpick each one? The surprising part is that I never even said anything substantial about the video other than utter shock. But it's a discussion board, am I rite???? :lol
Well put.

Fuck the Mavericks and their over sensitive fans.

LEONARD
03-18-2006, 09:32 AM

I figured most would find it funny...your response of "What the F did I just watch?!" tells me that you really didn't get it...

Nitpicked each response? I got into a discussion about Bradley with ONE person, and replied to 2 others with 1 response because they obviously missed the point of the video...

Well put.

Fuck the Mavericks and their over sensitive fans.

wow...just wow...

Pandaemonaeon
03-18-2006, 10:43 AM
I figured most would find it funny...your response of "What the F did I just watch?!" tells me that you really didn't get it...

Anyone ever tell you not to jump to conclusions? "What the F" could mean anything - shock first and foremost with it being good or bad up in the air. I'm not going to say what I think about the video anymore since your Adolf Hitler approach to this thread turned me off.

Nitpicked each response? I got into a discussion about Bradley with ONE person, and replied to 2 others with 1 response because they obviously missed the point of the video...

Exactly. When I posted that, only THREE members (including me) replied and you made a point to call each of us on it.

LEONARD
03-18-2006, 10:55 AM
Hitler? WTF?? :lol

When I registered, I debated on whether I should put Mavs or Spurs as my team of choice. I know the replies would've been different if I had put Spurs...

ALVAREZ6
03-18-2006, 11:09 AM
:lol nice video

hussker
03-18-2006, 12:00 PM
The paucity of defensive plays vs the reigning world champions in this video makes "Diop Diop" Irrelevant...

Axare
03-18-2006, 12:15 PM
Obviously they love Diop so much, they wanna be as fat as him

Mrs.Szczerbiak
03-18-2006, 05:17 PM
Hey, I liked the video... I should get off my lazy butt and do something "productive" like that.

Obstructed_View
03-18-2006, 06:55 PM
Hitler? WTF?? :lol

When I registered, I debated on whether I should put Mavs or Spurs as my team of choice. I know the replies would've been different if I had put Spurs...
Typical Mavericks fan with an excuse. Surely you getting your panties in a wad had nothing to do with it.

yeahone
03-18-2006, 07:18 PM
haha poor Bradley that image will tunr a legac being dunked on my TMAc

Pandaemonaeon
03-18-2006, 08:19 PM

What's that suppose to mean? That if you're a Spurs fan they're going to let you get away with stuff? Well maybe, but I've seen them call out their kind for stupidity (among other things) a bunch of times so you're wrong with that assumption. Hell, I'm a Mav fan and even I have a problem with the way you deal with people whose opinions are contrary from yours.

Yes you found the video funny, but don't expect everyone to like it as well... and just because they don't like it doesn't make them "haters" or "clueless" (which is tantamount to "didn't get it") in your black and white fantasy world full of candies and ornaments.