PDA

View Full Version : Republicans Block Funding For Port Security, Disaster Preparedness

Nbadan
03-16-2006, 05:03 PM
Republicans Block Funding For Port Security, Disaster Preparedness

Moments ago, the House of Representatives narrowly defeated an amendment proposed by Rep. Martin Sabo (D-MN) that would have provided $1.25 billion in desperately needed funding for port security and disaster preparedness. The Sabo amendment included:

– $300 million to enable U.S. customs agents to inspect high-risk containers at all 140 overseas ports that ship directly to the United States. Current funding only allows U.S. customs agents to operate at 43 of these ports.
– $400 million to place radiation monitors at all U.S. ports of entry. Currently, less than half of U.S. ports have radiation monitors.
– $300 million to provide backup emergency communications equipment for the Gulf Coast.

Meanwhile, the Bush budget – which most of the members who voted against this bill will likely support – contains an increase of $1.7 billion for missile defense, a program that doesn’t even work.

Think Progress (http://thinkprogress.org/2006/03/16/port-security-funding)

:hat

Sec24Row7
03-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Sure...

What else did it include?

85% tax increase for people who make over 50k a year and dividends paid off to everyone who is a member of the Democratic party?

boutons_
03-17-2006, 08:02 PM
http://images.ucomics.com/comics/wpnan/2006/wpnan060317.gif

RobinsontoDuncan
03-17-2006, 09:01 PM
but what about all that port security bullshit..sounds an awful lot like xenophobia to me...

Nbadan
03-18-2006, 02:51 AM
but what about all that port security bullshit..sounds an awful lot like xenophobia to me...

Eh, we've got a Dubai Ports crony as the head of U.S. Port security. Who's to say what U.S. port secrets, especially relating to U.S. Coast Guard inspection operations, he could have fed back to the Dubai Ports leaders? But the part that I think sealed in with most people is the 911 Commission report which had Osama Bin Laden in U.S. gun sights hunting with the leaders of the Dubai Royalty who own most of Dubai World Ports (this was after Bin Laden had been linked to bombing and was wanted by the U.S.).

RobinsontoDuncan
03-18-2006, 12:25 PM
Even if that is true (about Osama) Im damn near positive that's not what people were thinking, the avergae person heard that an Arab company was going to get the ports and they were like... "Oh no, don't let the enemy control our ports!!!"

I personally was against it, but that's because I hate free trade, Im almost 100% positive that it is in the best interest of Dubai Ports world to maintain a high level of security at the ports of the nation responsible for maintaining global economic stability.

Nbadan
03-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Even if that is true (about Osama) Im damn near positive that's not what people were thinking, the avergae person heard that an Arab company was going to get the ports and they were like... "Oh no, don't let the enemy control our ports!!!"

I personally was against it, but that's because I hate free trade, Im almost 100% positive that it is in the best interest of Dubai Ports world to maintain a high level of security at the ports of the nation responsible for maintaining global economic stability.

There was some xenophobia, especially among members of the far-right opposed to the deal, but I think that since 01' most people have seen this administration eating away at our contitutional rights in the name of protecting national security, but when it came to stopping someone from making a quick buck off the ports we use to preserve that security around the world, the administration was all to willing to set those concerns aside.

RandomGuy
03-18-2006, 06:57 PM
There was some xenophobia, especially among members of the far-right opposed to the deal, but I think that since 01' most people have seen this administration eating away at our contitutional rights in the name of protecting national security, but when it came to stopping someone from making a quick buck off the ports we use to preserve that security around the world, the administration was all to willing to set those concerns aside.

The xenophobia was up and down the political spectrum. This is one decision where I really feel the majority of Americans showed their sheer ignorance of world and business affairs, and allowed their stupidity to fuel a xenophobic reaction that had little to do with reality.

gtownspur
03-19-2006, 11:45 AM
wow, liberals are like groundhogs who only come out of their hole once it all has been past.