PDA

View Full Version : Introducing myself and a Spurs Wiki (SpursLine.com)!

Hillcrest
03-16-2006, 08:38 PM
Hey Everyone!

I've been a long-time reader of SpursTalk. I'm from San Antonio (Harmony Hills), am living in SoCal right now, but am hoping to get a house in Saytown soon. I have a group of 5 or so friends all from San Antonio, and we follow the Spurs and get together for the games and stuff. Of course, this is all to the glare of everyone around us here in Laker-land. Suddenly, they are all Clippers fans. :)

My roomate and I have taken a lot of heat over the past couple championships. But its been sooo fun. As I tell my friends, there's no question that now is the Golden Age of being a Spurs fan! Our "big three" are signed through the decade, Mahimni's potential makes me drool, all-star players are taking pay cuts to be with us, we're deeeeeep, Tony breaks out, had an unlucky year and still on pace to break our franchise win record,...WOW!! We sure didn't have times like this growing up...they're spoiling us!

Anyway, I'm so excited that I've decided to register and finally break my silence on this occasion to announce that I started SpursLine.com (http://www.spursline.com), a wiki specifically for our Spurs community to collectively be able to document the Spurs game by game, moment by moment, even unofficial topics like our all-time villains (Malone, Kobe,...) or all-time greatest moments (Memorial Day Miracle,...) or whatever we damn well please! :king

Create the page for your favorite player! Help document the trade and scouting rumors! We can even post pictures and video! Whatever you want! The beauty of a wiki to me is that it is collaborative and open-to-all. Absolutely everything can be edited by you! Just login with the password "team". :fro

As always, it's awesome to be able to read the insights of timvp, or SolidD, or Kori. Despite all your differences, in-between flamers, so many of y'all are so knowledgable and really know your stuff! I'm really proud of our city, our team, and our fans.

This part of the season is our time to shine...Go Spurs!

P.S. What I'm particularly excited about is the international nature of our fanbase and its contribution to the communal SpursLine.com. Should be very interesting...

T Park
03-16-2006, 08:48 PM
what in the world is Wiki?

gospursgojas
03-16-2006, 08:49 PM
Wikipedia

SoCalSpursFan
03-16-2006, 08:49 PM
I'm from SoCal too...obviously...

what part exactly?

SoCalSpursFan
03-16-2006, 08:50 PM

It means anyone can add onto the page. Its open for editing so everyone can help add information.

lilmads
03-16-2006, 08:50 PM
^ Open source I think.. Anyone can add or edit

Hillcrest
03-16-2006, 08:53 PM
Hey SoCal...we're in Huntington Beach. You?

Hey TPark, here are some definitions of Wiki on the Web:

* A website or similar online resource which allows users to add and edit content collectively.

* A collection of websites of hypertext, each of them can be visited and edited by anyone. “Wiki wiki” means "rapidly" in the Hawaiian language.

* An online collaboration model and tool that allows any user to edit some content of webpages through a simple browser.

* A wiki (pronounced , or ; see Pronunciation below) is a web application that allows users to add content, as on an Internet forum, but also allows anyone to edit the content. Wiki also refers to the collaborative software used to create such a website (see Wiki software).

P.S. That guy running around in a circle makes my stupid self laugh so hard.

ALVAREZ6
03-16-2006, 08:54 PM
Your site looks good and interesting, but how do do the whole password garbage???

gospursgojas
03-16-2006, 08:56 PM
Your site looks good and interesting, but how do do the whole password garbage???

Yeah I didnt get how to log in either...

missmyzte
03-16-2006, 08:57 PM
Yeah, I saw the password thingy and didn't go any further.

Also from So Cal here --- formerly of Chino and now in Thousand Oaks so I'm a bit north from you.

Hillcrest
03-16-2006, 08:58 PM
Sup Alvarez?

It's funny how many posts I've read from all of you folks. :)

It's really easy to login:

(1) Click the link in the top menu called, "Log In To Edit"

(2) Type in whatever name you want your edits to go under (anything you want).

(3) Type in whatever email you want. It won't validate it.

(4) The password is "team".

Click "Log In!" and you're done!

Hillcrest
03-16-2006, 09:00 PM

Also from So Cal here --- formerly of Chino and now in Thousand Oaks so I'm a bit north from you.

I was in Thousand Oaks for a year two years ago. Lake Sherwood. Pretty sweet area!

SoCalSpursFan
03-16-2006, 09:06 PM
I'm in Van Nuys but lived in Oak Park for 8 years. Went to OPHS and what not. Huntington is nice!

It's good to hear from other SoCal Spurs fans.

ObiwanGinobili
03-16-2006, 09:09 PM
Welcome to the forum hillcrest :spin.

great job on your site :tu ...... but my naughty side is seeing the possiblity for oodles of improper hilarity. open editing = fun times.
don't worry, i promise not to do anything.

carina_gino20
03-16-2006, 09:11 PM
that's a nice site. it would be cool to look up the Spurs history there.

Hillcrest
03-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Welcome to the forum hillcrest :spin.

great job on your site :tu ...... but my naughty side is seeing the possiblity for oodles of improper hilarity. open editing = fun times.
don't worry, i promise not to do anything.

Thank you!

ha ha ha ... "it's all good" as they say here. Nothing beats you creative types! :)

Funny story, my roomate was "Obiwan Ginobili" last Halloween. He had the Jedi cape, the light saber, the Ginobili jersey and everything!

Hillcrest
03-16-2006, 09:14 PM
I'm in Van Nuys but lived in Oak Park for 8 years. Went to OPHS and what not. Huntington is nice!

It's good to hear from other SoCal Spurs fans.

I like Van Nuys. I definitely can't complain about the beach, though.

It's nice to know of other Spurs fans here too!

Hillcrest
03-16-2006, 09:16 PM
that's a nice site. it would be cool to look up the Spurs history there.

You know...everytime I saw your Ginobili picture I wondered is that one of those 'Angels & Demons' type seals where it reads the same right-side up and up-side down?

Did you do that? That's really cool!

carina_gino20
03-16-2006, 09:18 PM
You know...everytime I saw your Ginobili picture I wondered is that one of those 'Angels & Demons' type seals where it reads the same right-side up and up-side down?

Did you do that? That's really cool!

yeah, it's an ambigram. i made it too. if u want to see ambigrams i made of other players, you can search the topic "More Ambigrams" on this forum and you'll find them.

spurschick
03-16-2006, 09:25 PM
Lived in Van Nuys for 10 years, went to Erwin Elementary and Miliken Junior High for a year.

Hillcrest
03-16-2006, 10:06 PM
Lived in Van Nuys for 10 years, went to Erwin Elementary and Miliken Junior High for a year.

Were you a transplant to San Antonio, then?

spurschick
03-16-2006, 10:07 PM
Were you a transplant to San Antonio, then?

Via Hawaii

Hillcrest
03-16-2006, 10:12 PM
Via Hawaii

Wow...nice! Never been, but want to.

So that means you went from SoCal to Hawaii to San Antonio?

LilMissSPURfect
03-16-2006, 10:17 PM
cool site...

spurschick
03-16-2006, 10:30 PM
Wow...nice! Never been, but want to.

So that means you went from SoCal to Hawaii to San Antonio?

Yep

Hillcrest
03-16-2006, 11:33 PM
cool site...

Thank you! And thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!

You guys rock!...or, as I'd most likely say back home, y'all rock!

Regarding SpursLine.com, I'm available for you as a resource if you need it. If you have any questions, just post something in this same thread. I'll try to field everything that I can.

For those of you who may be unfamiliar with "wikis" and their symbols, I've already started helping to format your modifications. It's not too hard. It's a lot like these little message board tags for quotes or links or little dancing pink elephants.

Like, for starters, all those broken red underlines indicate a link to a page that is empty (hasn't been created yet). Or "<toc>" creates a table of contents. Here's a nice, condense overview: WikiStyle Link (http://yummy.pbwiki.com/WikiStyle)

I think that people will have a good time with it. It's really fun and somehow kind of addictive. I know I've already wasted many good hours just getting it started. :smokin

xcoriate
03-17-2006, 02:28 AM
Nice idea,

good job on making something origional. Only recommendation find a better way of handling user/passwords. Might be a bit difficult though as it will probably be all included in the wiki engine, which one are you using btw?

xcoriate
03-17-2006, 02:32 AM
Edited the Sean Marks page for a bit of fun. Good stuff, really like the site check it out people.

Hillcrest
03-17-2006, 03:41 AM
Edited the Sean Marks page for a bit of fun. Good stuff, really like the site check it out people.

Thanks for the props, very cool...and great job on the Sean Marks page!

Check it out again (link (http://spursline.com/Sean%20Marks)). To see the 'code' just click "Edit Page" while you're logged in. See how to create that table of contents heirarchy and the table? The table of contents is like a remote control to whatever one wants, it isn't much writing, and it allows anyone to come up with any number of random headings in a player's profile.

Also, can you tell me what about the login is confusing? I'm not sure whether I can help it or not, but it never hurts to ask. We're using a PBWiki. And HTML works also...for those of you that know it.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-17-2006, 03:43 AM
Welcome Hillcrest!

I think your idea is very interesting. I would however discourage posting the password in the forum seeing as though anyone can enter the forum and read the topics, and there are a lot of people out there who relish the oportunity to ruin a good thing like that. Hopefully, Kori could help you distribute the password to those who are interested in adding to the wiki, doing so by request.

Hillcrest
03-17-2006, 04:11 AM
Welcome Hillcrest!

I think your idea is very interesting. I would however discourage posting the password in the forum seeing as though anyone can enter the forum and read the topics, and there are a lot of people out there who relish the oportunity to ruin a good thing like that. Hopefully, Kori could help you distribute the password to those who are interested in adding to the wiki, doing so by request.

Thanks, Mania! Can't wait to see Manu healthy!

Actually, the whole idea is that anyone can edit. But no worries!...the system is asshole-proof and can be restored if needed. I know the PBWiki guy. He's a super-bright friend from college.

xcoriate
03-17-2006, 04:20 AM
I know the PBWiki guy. He's a super-bright friend from college.

That's pretty sweet, obvious why you went with this version of wiki then :)

In any event the password was just a little confusing at first, 1 password for the whole site seems a little weird. But I wrote that first post before I actually logged in, from there it made more sense. I dunno how else you would do it actually, individual username/passwords might be more appropriate but chances are thats not in the software.

Still cool site, great idea and for me at least the password system isw easily overlooked. Users might just have the same reaction as me and get a little turned off, overall well done and props on the concept.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-17-2006, 04:24 AM
Thanks, Mania! Can't wait to see Manu healthy!

Actually, the whole idea is that anyone can edit. But no worries!...the system is asshole-proof and can be restored if needed. I know the PBWiki guy. He's a super-bright friend from college.
I see, then its all good http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smispin.gif

MoSpur
03-17-2006, 10:24 AM
Welcome aboard. Thanks for the invitation. I hope it grows and goes well.

Hillcrest
03-17-2006, 02:38 PM
Welcome aboard. Thanks for the invitation. I hope it grows and goes well.

Thanks, MoSpur! Folks have contributed some classic stuff so far (Karl Malone page in 'Villain' section). :)

Happy Patty's Day everyone! I think I won't remember much after the game...

Hillcrest
03-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Yes! Spurs seem to be taking care of business!...even when I'm too drunk to remember.

I'm planning on adding a section to the SpursLine.com wiki about our signed, but inactive players: Mahimni, etc. Can someone tell me who all we have bouncing around the world in other leagues? Is there a resource for finding out info on all these guys...especially highlight media?

Also if any of you have other ideas or suggestions for sections, such as great places in SA to see the game, or a Silver Dancers section, please feel free to relate them to me....or, of course, you can also just go add it to the site yourself. :)

cheguevara
03-20-2006, 01:07 PM
wow nice idea

velik_m
03-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Yes! Spurs seem to be taking care of business!...even when I'm too drunk to remember.

I'm planning on adding a section to the SpursLine.com wiki about our signed, but inactive players: Mahimni, etc. Can someone tell me who all we have bouncing around the world in other leagues? Is there a resource for finding out info on all these guys...especially highlight media?

Also if any of you have other ideas or suggestions for sections, such as great places in SA to see the game, or a Silver Dancers section, please feel free to relate them to me....or, of course, you can also just go add it to the site yourself. :)

spurs int. farm:
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36626

marks has australia as country - that will raise all hell with NZ fans.

also where is eva section? :smokin

1Parker1
03-20-2006, 01:15 PM

Chino?! That's where Ryan from the OC is from :oops

Hillcrest
03-20-2006, 06:56 PM
Thanks "cheguevara"!

"Velik", this list is perfect. Does anyone know where to find media on these farm players? I have a little video on Mahimni, but nothing on the others. What would people most like to see about these guys?

I'm sure someone will post a picture or something on Eva eventually. :)

The video on the Memorial Day Miracle page gave me shivers! Great stuff ya'll! Keep it coming!

carina_gino20
03-20-2006, 08:47 PM
that Karl Malone drama queen picture really cracked me up. :lmao

the other players other than Sean have empty pages, no?

you could use the Manu jedi picture..jeje

velik_m
03-21-2006, 03:06 AM

you could use player pages from Wikipedia.org for starters.

Big Worm
03-21-2006, 09:43 AM

put down the Funnel cake and learn how to use Google patna!

kris
03-21-2006, 10:36 AM
Point of Observation: I have a hard time believing you are a long time follower of the forum based on your easy and quick general observations of mainstay posters. Looks to me that you created a website and have scrolled over this forum a few times before and decided that you would take advantage of ST for advertising.

Hillcrest
03-21-2006, 03:31 PM
that Karl Malone drama queen picture really cracked me up. :lmao

you could use the Manu jedi picture..jeje

Hi Carina...yeah, I busted out laughing at that one also. Some people here are pretty clever. I grabbed some of the funnier pictures and put them in this season's photo gallery also. Which Manu jedi pic are you referring to?

So...yes, the players other than Sean and David Robinson are currently empty. Any broken red underline denotes an empty page.

If y'all have favorite players, this is the chance to pioneer their pages. :)

Hillcrest
03-21-2006, 03:53 PM
Point of Observation: I have a hard time believing you are a long time follower of the forum based on your easy and quick general observations of mainstay posters. Looks to me that you created a website and have scrolled over this forum a few times before and decided that you would take advantage of ST for advertising.

Hey Kris, I'm not sure what to tell you, man. I've been reading SpursTalk as a guest since I discovered it 3 years ago. I felt that it was reasonable to be considered a "long-time follower".

To me, SpursLine is diversionary fun...plain and simple. I think it could also be an awesome reference for Spurs fans everywhere. I don't think I even technically own anything. It's all up for grabs...by literally anyone. You seem like a sharp guy. If you can teach me how to get advertisers and all that #$@*, I'll give you the profits. :)

Hillcrest
03-22-2006, 02:20 PM
spurs int. farm:
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36626

marks has australia as country - that will raise all hell with NZ fans.

also where is eva section? :smokin

I'm putting the signed prospects up on SpursLine right now. Also, I changed Sean's country to New Zealand...good catch. :)

I was wondering if anyone knows the location of that one video clip of Ian Mahimni that we all watched here when the Spurs first drafted him. Do you remember? It's pretty short. He was pretty young. He dunks over some guys like a man among boys and falls at the end? I thought it was freakin' awesome.

I'd like to put that clip on the wiki in Ian's media section...anybody know? I should have saved it..