PDA

View Full Version : Question about Johnny Cash

T Park
03-17-2006, 02:08 AM
What was in the "pills" that he was horribly addicted to.

So far, this movie is absolutely mindblowing....

Walk the Line IMO, should have won the academy award.

Jekka
03-17-2006, 02:13 AM
Yeah, it was amphetamines - his autobiography is amazing, he writes fairly in depth about it - the addiction went beyond the time that the movie ends with (which is why everyone was so surprised when June died before he did).

Melmart1
03-17-2006, 02:14 AM
Johnny Cash is the man.

T Park
03-17-2006, 02:16 AM
What a horrible thing to be afflicted with.

BTW, Im extremely jealous of the love June and Johnny had.

Yeah its just a movie,

but the story, you can just tell how in love they were.

T Park
03-17-2006, 02:32 AM
Hurt was OK.

Was a little weirded out that a weirdo like Trent Reznor wrote it.

But, some of his songs are amazing.

The quote that sticks out though is this

"Johnny, your people are church folk, they dont want to hear you singing to a bunch of murderers and rapists, and make them feel better. They are christians"

"Then they aren't true christians"

Man, some of the shots they take, Phoenix just standing there, looks unbelieveably LIKE Johnny Cash, its UNREAL!!!

Sounds like him too.

Amazing acting.

Juaquin Phoenix>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> whoever won it this year.

jcrod
03-17-2006, 03:27 AM
I liked the movie a lot. But I wouldn't say Phoenix>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Have you seen Hustle and Flow? Terence Howard was awesome, just as good or better than Phoenix.

And I have yet to see Philip Hoffman in Capote, so I can't judge him.

MannyIsGod
03-17-2006, 06:52 AM
Hurt was OK.

Was a little weirded out that a weirdo like Trent Reznor wrote it.

But, some of his songs are amazing.

The quote that sticks out though is this

"Johnny, your people are church folk, they dont want to hear you singing to a bunch of murderers and rapists, and make them feel better. They are christians"

"Then they aren't true christians"

Man, some of the shots they take, Phoenix just standing there, looks unbelieveably LIKE Johnny Cash, its UNREAL!!!

Sounds like him too.

Amazing acting.

Juaquin Phoenix>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> whoever won it this year.Johnny Cash changed some of the lyrics to hurt, but I don't know why you would be weirded out by Trent Reznor writing that song. Good music doesn't come from people who are out picking daisies all day, it usually comes from people with a little bit more to themselves than the average person.

Misery makes great music.

Oh, and DAMN YOUR EYES!

JoeChalupa
03-17-2006, 08:11 AM
I saw Walk the Line and it was great movie. But I'd still give Hustle & Flow the nod over Walk the Line.

Terrance Howard was awesome.

Mixability
03-17-2006, 10:44 AM
Johnny Cash changed some of the lyrics to hurt, but I don't know why you would be weirded out by Trent Reznor writing that song. Good music doesn't come from people who are out picking daisies all day, it usually comes from people with a little bit more to themselves than the average person.
Misery makes great music.

I guess he'd prefer Johnny Cash covering "He's got the whole world in His hands"

:lol

Solid D
03-17-2006, 11:09 AM
Great opening scene, music setting the tempo right away.

Reese Witherspoon sings better than June Carter.

Sec24Row7
03-17-2006, 11:11 AM
Looks better too.

MoSpur
03-17-2006, 11:23 AM
I saw that movie and it was very good. However, while watching it, I kept getting flashbacks of Ray. Don't get me wrong. Both movies in my mind were good. However, Johnny Cash's brother dying when he was young took me back to the scene where Ray's brother died.

Solid D
03-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Looks better too.

I also think J. Phoenix nailed Johnny Cash down pretty well on the way he talked and his mannerisms. I wasn't a huge Cash fan, but anyone who is old enough to have seen Johnny during his prime would relate to how Johnny leaned his shoulders, angled his mouth and continuously moved his guitar from front to back. That was an excellent portrayal by Phoenix.

Mixability
03-17-2006, 11:33 AM
I also think J. Phoenix nailed Johnny Cash down pretty well on the way he talked and his mannerisms.

:tu

tlongII
03-17-2006, 11:59 AM
Interesting guy

..but he couldn't sing worth shit.

Das Texan
03-17-2006, 12:38 PM
It was truly an awesome movie.

Two stunning performances my Phoenix and Witherspoon in the process.

And the singing they did, wow.

T Park
03-17-2006, 04:00 PM
Exactly rabel.

What a strange ending.

Fantastic movie.

By far my favorite of the year.

Just edging out Wedding Singers :lol

MannyIsGod
03-17-2006, 04:02 PM
Pheonix can't sing worth a damn.

T Park
03-17-2006, 04:03 PM
Sure sounded like Cash to me.....

MannyIsGod
03-17-2006, 04:05 PM
Are you fucking tone deaf as well as dumb? Helen Keller could tel the difference.

Sec24Row7
03-17-2006, 04:07 PM
Interesting guy

..but he couldn't sing worth shit.

Yeah Johnny couldn't sing worth shit :rolleyes

I guess cheering for a group of losing brokedick child molesting Basketball players with a case of the munchies and a side order of illegal gun possesion and no hope on the Horizon kind of screws up your perspective so I guess you get a pass..

Jekka
03-17-2006, 04:10 PM
Sure sounded like Cash to me.....

I grew up listening to Cash, and if you think Phoenix's voice is anywhere comparably pure and soulful and deep, then you need your ears checked.

I'm not ragging on Phoenix's acting abilities - I think his depiction of Cash was beautiful, and I think he did the best singing he could, but it's obvious that it's not anything as good as the real Cash.

T Park
03-17-2006, 04:18 PM
Fine, he didn't sound anything like him.

Holy crap.

ChumpDumper
03-17-2006, 04:20 PM
Remember this biopic?
http://images.windowsmedia.com/img/prov_ap/200_80/pic200/drP000/P003/p00333nsoxm.jpg
He did his own singing too.

Got an Oscar nomination. I don't know if he was a complete nutjob at this point.

Solid D
03-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Neither actor sang exactly like their characters. Their style, mannerisms, expressions is what I thought was good. Any professional studio can improve voice quality (see Hillary Duff) but I was talking about the acting.

Sec24Row7
03-17-2006, 05:03 PM
J. Phoenix sounded nothing like Cash...

I mean... no one ever has...

Solid D
03-17-2006, 05:08 PM
J. Phoenix sounded nothing like Cash...

I mean... no one ever has...

They play Johnny's recorded version of "I've Been Everywhere" on one of the commercials on TV and radio now. In fact, I heard it today I think.

Spurminator
03-17-2006, 06:17 PM
I thought the same thing about Reese... She sang a lot better than June Carter ever did.

If you had told me a year ago that I would own an album of Johnny Cash songs as sung by Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon I would have laughed, but the soundtrack is fantastic. Well deserved Oscar for Reese.

AlamoSpursFan
03-17-2006, 06:22 PM
They play Johnny's recorded version of "I've Been Everywhere" on one of the commercials on TV and radio now. In fact, I heard it today I think.

I prefer Brian Burns' version.

tlongII
03-17-2006, 06:38 PM
Yeah Johnny couldn't sing worth shit :rolleyes

I guess cheering for a group of losing brokedick child molesting Basketball players with a case of the munchies and a side order of illegal gun possesion and no hope on the Horizon kind of screws up your perspective so I guess you get a pass..

He could not sing worth shit. I have heard coyotes howling at night that sound better than Johnny Cash. I'm not denying that he was influential in field of music, but his vocal quality sucked ass.

AlamoSpursFan
03-17-2006, 06:45 PM
He could not sing worth shit. I have heard coyotes howling at night that sound better than Johnny Cash. I'm not denying that he was influential in field of music, but his vocal quality sucked ass.

That's funny. This is exactly how I feel about Bob Dylan.

tlongII
03-17-2006, 06:47 PM
That's funny. This is exactly how I feel about Bob Dylan.

Actually I feel that way about Bob Dylan too.

Spurminator
03-17-2006, 06:48 PM
Dylan could sing decent when he wanted to (see the "Nashville Skyline" album), but in my opinion part of being a great vocalist is being distinctive, which Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan were.

Sec24Row7
03-17-2006, 06:52 PM

Coyotes dont make noise. They just fist pump and make backwards seated shots from the free throw line

Melmart1
03-17-2006, 08:54 PM
Johnny Cash's brilliance was in being a songwriter and styling his vocals to fit the mood of the song, not to be pop sing-songy.

ZStomp
03-17-2006, 09:16 PM
I think Phoenix did a good job. I enjoyed the singing.

It's not like Cash was that great of a singer.

Guru of Nothing
03-17-2006, 10:01 PM
Funny stuff - critiquing the voice of JC, and his imitators.

Zombie
03-17-2006, 11:34 PM
Pheonix can't sing worth a damn.
DUDE, you are now the Weatherman, movie Critic and music Guru of this forum.
I'll give you the wether shit but music and movies, not to sure about that.
I liked the music from Walk the Line so much I bought the soundtrack and listen to it daily.

MannyIsGod
03-17-2006, 11:39 PM

The songs are great I feel much better when Cash sings them.

Zombie
03-17-2006, 11:43 PM

The songs are great I feel much better when Cash sings them.
OHHHHH, no doubt! JC was the man, both of them! :lol
Who gets that? If you need an explanation let me know.

T-Pain
03-17-2006, 11:51 PM
I thought Walk the Line was a very good movie and i thought Joaquin and Reese did an excellent job portraying Johnny and June, respectively

ZStomp
03-18-2006, 12:20 AM
DUDE, you are now the Weatherman, movie Critic and music Guru of this forum.
I'll give you the wether shit but music and movies, not to sure about that.
I liked the music from Walk the Line so much I bought the soundtrack and listen to it daily.

I have a copy of it too.

It's good. :tu

jcrod
03-18-2006, 02:52 AM
Why do you think I changed my sig with Johnny on it. But I still think Terrence Howard did a better job with Hustle.