PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons, prepare for the onslaught...

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
03-17-2006, 01:02 PM
...of angry Spurs fans!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060317

What's to like: The Spurs are the champs. And they OWN Phoenix.

What's not to like: In order ...

A) I watched Duncan heroically limping around against the Clips two weeks ago -- it's much more damaging to see in person, when you can pick up the little grimaces and self-conscious glances toward his bum foot. He's just not the same guy. The incredible thing is that Duncan can still control the game on one leg, and when they truly need him and his adrenaline starts going, he can have little spurts where it seems like he's fine. But the injury kills him defensively (he doesn't have the same lateral movement) and robs him of his lift for putbacks. I would guess that he's playing at around 70 percent. And considering that they barely won the title last season, that's not cutting it.

B) Stick a fork in Nick Van Exel. He's done. Same for Michael Finley. Brent Barry was never good for them in the first place. Neither was Rasho Nesterovic. Beno Udrih stinks. And Big Shot Rob is on cruise control until May, as always ... one of these years, he's not going to have anything left in the tank. By the way, I just listed six of their 10 best guys.

C) At halftime of the Clips game, I wandered down to the court to talk to my friend Strik, and we ended up watching the Spurs warming up for the second half ... the players were just going about their business in silence, like 12 businessmen quietly filing through an airport on their way to baggage claim or something. Watching them interact (or not interact), I said to Strik, "Look at that, they're like an old married couple." Strik joked, "You can't blame 'em, these guys speak like nine different languages."

But their whole season has been like that: They seem tired of each other, tired of their coach, tired of playing these 110-game seasons. Poor Duncan looks like he just wants to climb into a jacuzzi and disappear for about 10 months. Even when they rally to the occasion, like with the Dallas game a couple of weeks ago, you never get the sense that they're having that much fun. It's just a grim team. You can win one playoff series like that, and maybe even two, but not four. At some point, somebody else will have too much energy for you. I bet this is Popovich's last season. Just a gut feeling.

Mitigating factor: Did I mention that Tim Duncan is on this team?

leemajors
03-17-2006, 01:12 PM
wow, that article is his most off base article i have ever read, not even counting the spurs part. it seems thrown together...

boutons_
03-17-2006, 01:12 PM
Doesn't Timvp suck Simmons' dick as "The Best Writer In Sports" ?

nkdlunch
03-17-2006, 01:14 PM
:lol Pop's last season

that dude must have smoked some good shit before the game

NallhOnesTy
yea even though he puts detroit at number 1 (which i like) i dunno about this guy

ripped on the spurs pretty hard there

MaNuMaNiAc
Seriously deranged, except for the Pistons part, I agree with him on that

1Parker1
03-17-2006, 01:15 PM
What?! Some of his points were so weird, like this one:

They seem tired of each other, tired of their coach, tired of playing these 110-game seasons...you never get the sense that they're having that much fun. It's just a grim team. You can win one playoff series like that, and maybe even two, but not four. bet this is Popovich's last season. Just a gut feeling.

Leetonidas
03-17-2006, 01:21 PM
B) Stick a fork in Nick Van Exel. He's done. Same for Michael Finley. Brent Barry was never good for them in the first place. Neither was Rasho Nesterovic. Beno Udrih stinks. And Big Shot Rob is on cruise control until May, as always ... one of these years, he's not going to have anything left in the tank. By the way, I just listed six of their 10 best guys.

WTF? Yeah Van Exel sucks, and so does Rasho, but Horry is doing fine, Finley is finally getting into a rhythm, Barry is starting to play great, and Udrih is playing like a man posessed.

Borosai
03-17-2006, 01:21 PM
Lame

leemajors
03-17-2006, 01:24 PM
don't get me wrong, this guy usually puts out good stuff, especially when he writes about the NBA - the first part of this article was hilarious and pretty spot-on, but this part was terrible. he must really be smarting from that terrible celtics loss yesterday...

1Parker1
03-17-2006, 01:28 PM
D-Wade as MVP????

He points out that Miami is 20-4 in the past two months, however, the only worthwhile team they've beaten in that span was Detroit...and even that they needed a Wade miracle to win.

Steve Nash gets my vote for MVP. I had leaned towards Kobe, but Lakers suck too much for him to get that award. Plus, he hasn't been that impressive in the past few games.

MoSpur
03-17-2006, 01:28 PM
He gets paid to write his opinions. He is a huge Clipper fan. He didn't mention they had just played the Lakers the night before. He didn't mention how good Parker has been. He didn't mention how Ginobili has been hurt as well as Horry. He wrote what he wanted, which is fine. Get over it Spurs fans. He isn't the one tuning into to every Spurs game that is shown on the tube.

That would be like me writing about the Heat and that they stink and Shaq is done. How Wade is carrying that team and has no help what so ever, when they are starting to play really good. I would have no room to write about the Heat because I hardly see them play.

Solid D
03-17-2006, 01:41 PM
Simmons is better at comedic relief.

He got a bad read on the chemistry of the Spurs team. That game was the 4th game in 6 nights and the 2nd game of a b2b ON THE ROAD.

leemajors
03-17-2006, 01:41 PM
he is a huge celtic fan that lives in LA, and got clippers season tickets the last 2 years for laughs. he likes the team, but i wouldn't call him a huge fan. but the article was thrown together and sloppy, which is the opposite of the first part of the article...

Budkin
03-17-2006, 01:57 PM
Simmons usually writes great stuff, but he's lost it on this one, especially the analysis of the Spurs. Did he go take advice from Skip Bayless? Pop's last season? :lmao

SpursWoman
03-17-2006, 02:04 PM
Simmons usually writes great stuff, but he's lost it on this one, especially the analysis of the Spurs. Did he go take advice from Skip Bayless? Pop's last season? :lmao

I usually love his stuff ... well, maybe not a dick-sucking kind of love (:rolleyes) ... but this was a little odd.

Extra Stout
03-17-2006, 02:16 PM
Simmons misapprehended the mood among the Spurs, but it's not as if he's rated them #8 or something.

My biggest concern is this endemic overrating of the Miami Heat. This hot streak is utterly predictable and will mean absolutely zero when they face the Pistons. What it is, I think, is that whenever there is a glimmer of hope that one of the teams with some 'Q' value in the league might contend, everybody jumps all over their jock.

Nikos
03-17-2006, 02:40 PM
Simmons misapprehended the mood among the Spurs, but it's not as if he's rated them #8 or something.

My biggest concern is this endemic overrating of the Miami Heat. This hot streak is utterly predictable and will mean absolutely zero when they face the Pistons. What it is, I think, is that whenever there is a glimmer of hope that one of the teams with some 'Q' value in the league might contend, everybody jumps all over their jock.

I don't see how Miami can't contend if Shaq is reasonably healthy come playoff time. True that seems somewhat unlikely, but if he can return to his form on offense last season, and on the boards -- why can't the Heat give the Pistons a good series? Considering Wade seems to have his way with him, and the Pistons can't really guard a healthy Shaq it isn't as if the Pistons could dominate them even at their best.

Sec24Row7
03-17-2006, 03:00 PM
I would love for the spurs to meet shaq in the finals...

We should have been seeing him there for the last 7 years...

Cant_Be_Faded
03-17-2006, 03:02 PM
I'm really really worried about Duncan, because god damn our record is a testament to what he can do and who he is, but i feel sad watching him take shots now

j-6
03-17-2006, 03:04 PM
Give the guy a break. He was probably distracted when he wrote that particular masterpiece after the Boston College - Pacific 2OT game yesterday.

tlongII
03-17-2006, 03:05 PM
Excellent article. Very accurate.

leemajors
03-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Give the guy a break. He was probably distracted when he wrote that particular masterpiece after the Boston College - Pacific 2OT game yesterday.

he went to holy cross i think, but definitely not BC.

Peter
03-17-2006, 03:12 PM
Beware epitaphs written in March.

GoSpurs21
03-17-2006, 03:19 PM
isnt bill simmons a toungue and cheek writer?
I have never thought of his material to be serious, so I thought he was just poking fun of the Spurs and saying things that were exactly opposite of the truth.

The only statement he made that had any truth was the one about NVE being washed up. Besides the clippers game wasnt one of the Spurs brightest moments this year

I mean anyone who watches the Spurs during warmups in person knows that the Spurs are always goofing around with each other, in fact this team seems like the most relaxed and at ease then any other that I have seen.

CubanMustGo
03-17-2006, 03:27 PM
Huh. Then there is this in the "ESPN Viewers' Guide" in this week's Mag:

NBA WEDNESDAY Heat vs. Pistons, Spurs vs. Nuggets
An NBA double-header supreme. In a span of just five hours or so, you'll see the 2004 NBA Champion Pistons, the 2005 Champion Spurs, and the 2006 Champion Heat all in action. (Note: Shaq told us to say that last part, and we don't argue with Shaq.)

I am so ready for the Heat to play someone and get exposed as the frauds they are. You betcha I'll be pulling for the Pistons come Wednesday night.

austinfan
03-17-2006, 03:45 PM
Yeah, the Pop comment was just weird. Pop and Tim Duncan have a Vulcan mind-meld thing going on, and will most likely retire in the same season. Bill Simmons has got to know that, right? I guess these writers--even really good ones like Simmons--sometimes just throw comments like that out there to get a reaction and make angry fans write in to them. *shrugs*

Amuseddaysleeper
03-17-2006, 03:47 PM
i love simmons and agree comeletely with his stick a fork in finley and NVE comments as well as TD's injury comment on top of them barely winning last year but everything after that amongst the most bullshit sports writing I've seen in my life

also

pistons> spurs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>miami

T Park
03-17-2006, 03:48 PM
Im rootin for the Heat so the Spurs can catch up to the Pistons.

Could care less if Miami is exposed or not.

I hope they beat Detroit in the Eastern Conference playoffs too.

Detroit is that damn good.

T Park
03-17-2006, 03:49 PM
agree comeletely with his stick a fork in finley

10 points a game, 4 boards.

Yeah, hes horrible

fucktard.

Kori Ellis
03-17-2006, 03:50 PM
I read it as a joke article *shrug*

Leetonidas
03-17-2006, 03:51 PM
pistons> spurs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>miami

Please, jump of a cliff and break your legs.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-17-2006, 03:52 PM

why because half the board agrees pistons are doing better than the spurs this year? homer :rolleyes

the playoffs can change a lot so we'll have to see but as of right now there is NO way spurs > pistons

and t park you're the one who is bitching about barry when he's been playing MUCH better than your precious 1-6 a night finley since the trade deadline. bite me asshole

T Park
03-17-2006, 03:53 PM
Please, jump of a cliff and break your legs

:lmao

Yeah, me too.

I think he writes stuff like this just, fuck with Spurs fans, and the rest of the NBA's fans on top of it.

T Park
03-17-2006, 03:54 PM
and t park you're the one who is bitching about barry when he's been playing MUCH better than your precious 1-6 a night finley since the trade deadline

Name the games Barry has won, pretty much singlehandidly in the 4th quarter

then name the games Finley has.

Thank you.

Goodnight, good bye, and go jump off that cliff, HATER.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-17-2006, 03:55 PM
Name the games Barry has won, pretty much singlehandidly in the 4th quarter

then name the games Finley has.

Thank you.

Goodnight, good bye, and go jump off that cliff, HATER.

nba finals 2005, he was a huge factor

me the hater? you're the one who QUIT ON THE TEAM IN THE SECOND ROUND!!

shut the fuck up, finley is a wash for us this year, and barry >>>>>>> finley

even for the league minimum finley is overpaid

T Park
03-17-2006, 03:59 PM
nba finals 2005, he was a huge factor

Im talking about this year, quit living in the past.

shut the fuck up, finley is a wash for us this year, and barry >>>>>>> finley

The stats, playing time, and overall output negate that as idiotic rantings.

me the hater? you're the one who QUIT ON THE TEAM IN THE SECOND ROUND!!

Ive paid my dues.

Youve hated on this team all season, you quit on them back in December.

Congrats.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-17-2006, 03:59 PM
Ive paid my dues.

Congrats.

Kori Ellis
03-17-2006, 04:01 PM
Amused and TPark need a room of their own. Back to the topic ...

I believe he did the whole rankings in the order he thinks the teams are (with the Pistons being number one, etc) but he just interjected some sarcasm, comedy throughout. (Did you all read the whole thing or just the Spurs part?)

He's not far off by saying that Tim gimps around the court and suffers on defense, or that NVE is done. He just exaggerates his point by throwing in other stuff.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-17-2006, 04:03 PM
Im talking about this year, quit living in the past.

The stats, playing time, and overall output negate that as idiotic rantings.

Ive paid my dues.

Congrats.

LOL oh i quit on them in december? oh really, all i ever said was if TD has the PF problem still nagging him a lot come playoff tiem we're fucked. if i had quit on them i obviously wouldnt be here. you've paid your dues?? ha! this ENTIRE BOARD has you as its biggest joke. and as for quit living in the past, the last 15 games or so since the trade deadline barry has been the aggressive on as finley continues going 1-7 and having his balls shrink come playoff time much like his years in dallas.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-17-2006, 04:04 PM

I believe he did the whole rankings in the order he thinks the teams are (with the Pistons being number one, etc) but he just interjected some sarcasm, comedy throughout. (Did you all read the whole thing or just the Spurs part?)

He's not far off by saying that Tim gimps around the court and suffers on defense, or that NVE is done. He just exaggerates his point by throwing in other stuff.

once again kori, t park starts it by getting personal every single time, i'm just stating my opinion. and i know i know, you know he started it but you want to end it :angel

boutons_
03-17-2006, 04:05 PM
"Im talking about this year, quit living in the past."

Beno getting pressured in the playoffs, don't ever forget it, T_pork lives in that past.

But, T_pork quitting on the Spurs in Finals, we should move on, T_pork lives in his selected present.

From past to present, Beno is getting better, but T_pork is still a repulsive, fat fuck. :lol

Amuseddaysleeper
03-17-2006, 04:05 PM

but kori some of the stuff he said about pop wanting to quit and them being tired of each other, like simmons makes his comedy pretty obvious, those words he said were liek almost out of spite or something. there is NO reason whatsover for miami to be #2. as someone said earlier, besides detroit, they have to come back from 25 down to beat the celtics. they're ALWAYS having to play the catch up game. against detroit or san antonio that catch up stuff and being down big at halftime isn't gonna work

Amuseddaysleeper
03-17-2006, 04:06 PM

Beno getting pressured in the playoffs, don't ever forget it, T_pork lives in that past.

But, T_pork quitting on the Spurs in Finals, we should move on, T_pork lives in his selected present.

From past to present, Beno is getting better, but T_pork is still a repulsive, fat fuck. :lol

:lol

RobinsontoDuncan
03-17-2006, 04:12 PM
I just read the Bill Simmons article, and I suppose this discussion ought to be relegated to that thread, but that statement just really disturbed me.

I don't give it much creedance, but I dont live in San Antonio, I never get to see them in the SBC center, I dont watch their warm ups. Do you think it is even remotley possible that a team that is the essence of motivation and professionalism is giving up on their coach? I know pop has had good reason to be mad at this team this season, they seem to lack emotion sometimes, but this is shaping up to be his best regular season ever. No Spurs team has ever been 50-14 according to what I have read, and they could easily break the franchise record for most wins in a season, but is there something below the surface this year? I'll admitt that I have been very upset with the teams at times this season, mainly because I can't understand where they changed significantly enough to play defense that (i will say looks to me) isn't up to their standards, why they cant rebound very well this year, etc.

Anyway, I suppose part of the reason that struck me funny was I never gave any thought to the Spurs minus Pop, do you guys think he will ever leave or is Pop a Spur for life?

Amuseddaysleeper
03-17-2006, 04:13 PM
Spur for life, Pop is as synonymous with the spurs as is tim duncan. as long as td is here so is Pop

Extra Stout
I don't see how Miami can't contend if Shaq is reasonably healthy come playoff time. True that seems somewhat unlikely, but if he can return to his form on offense last season, and on the boards -- why can't the Heat give the Pistons a good series? Considering Wade seems to have his way with him, and the Pistons can't really guard a healthy Shaq it isn't as if the Pistons could dominate them even at their best.
Shaq's decline is progressive year-by-year. He still puts up decent numbers, but he's just never going to be the Shaq of old ever again, who totally distorts a team's defense. Wade is that team's catalyst now.

And it's nice that they've gotten hot over the soft part of their schedule, but that doesn't make them title favorites.

Slo spurs fan

:lmao :tu

T Park
03-17-2006, 04:16 PM
Lovely....

Extra Stout
Well, given that Duncan by now is nothing more than a broken-down CWebb, if you were Pop, wouldn't you want to quit?

boutons_
Pop has said he will follow Tim into retirement.

But I'm sure that he will decide at that time, not now.

Kori Ellis
03-17-2006, 04:17 PM
There's a whole thread about the Bill Simmons' comments on the Spurs, so I don't get the point of starting another one. But I wouldn't worry much about Simmons' (joke?) opinion on the matter.

Peter
03-17-2006, 04:18 PM
Damn, TD's career is over and now Pop is retiring? How did you guys cope when Tim was on that plane to Orlando...?

Extra Stout
03-17-2006, 04:19 PM
Perhaps he's thinking that, at long last, the Spurs are becoming as bored with one another as America has been with them all along.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-17-2006, 04:20 PM
Pfft, everybody knows him and Timmy will retire together.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-17-2006, 04:21 PM
Well, given that Duncan by now is nothing more than a broken-down CWebb, if you were Pop, wouldn't you want to quit?

woah buddy!, you're hitting into amuseddaysleeper pessimistic territory there!

Extra Stout
03-17-2006, 04:23 PM
woah buddy!, you're hitting into amuseddaysleeper pessimistic territory there!
Inside joke.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Inside joke.

ahhh gotcha

nkdlunch
03-17-2006, 04:29 PM
All I know is Ben Wallace is Shaq's personnal ragdoll

cheguevara
03-17-2006, 04:32 PM
All I know is Ben Wallace is Shaq's personnal ragdoll

yup, he probably thinks Wallace is one of those troll dolls cause of the hair.

here is a pic of last time Wallace tried to guard Shaq:
http://www.totalmedia.com/images/KingKong_r.jpg

timvp
03-17-2006, 04:35 PM
Doesn't Timvp suck Simmons' dick as "The Best Writer In Sports" ?

WTF, B?

You need to keep my name and homoerotic images of genitalia out of your mouf.

Leetonidas
03-17-2006, 04:36 PM
why because half the board agrees pistons are doing better than the spurs this year? homer :rolleyes

And why do you say that? Because they have a better record? So did Phoenix last year. Just because their record is good doesn't make them better than us. You really underestimate the power of this team in the post season.

And FYI, you're not half the board. You're the only Spurs fan I've ever seen who always rides the Pistons' jock. Show some balls and support your team.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-17-2006, 04:37 PM
The Miami Heat last year were a better team than last years Spurs team and this years Miami Heat team with a completely healthy Shaq, Wade and Zo and JWill playing at a high level are a better team than this years Spurs team. Pistons have more of an answer for Shaq than the Spurs do. What the faq is Duncan going to do? The way I see it, the way the refs let the Spurs flop around the floor like stupid seals in last years finals I expect to see alot of no calls on your bs team. <The Spurs team in 2006 :depressed > I see we have a new troll in our midst, wonderfull http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif Do I detect a hint of bitter resentment? You lost last season, live with it and STFU

MaNuMaNiAc
03-17-2006, 04:39 PM
WTF, B?

You need to keep my name and homoerotic images of genitalia out of your mouf.

RobinsontoDuncan
03-17-2006, 04:40 PM
This message is hidden because Extra Stout is on your ignore list.

not really.

Sorry Kori, I kind of wanted to see where the general consenus on this was.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-17-2006, 04:43 PM
And why do you say that? Because they have a better record? So did Phoenix last year. Just because their record is good doesn't make them better than us. You really underestimate the power of this team in the post season.

And FYI, you're not half the board. You're the only Spurs fan I've ever seen who always rides the Pistons' jock. Show some balls and support your team.
how is admitting that the Pistons are currently playing the best basketball in the NBA (minus a few losing streaks) not supporting your team?? Give it a rest, not every Spurs fan has to be an f'n zombie and keep repeating the same crap over and over again, "the Spurs are the best, every other team sucks" etc...

The Pistons are a great team, and as far as I'm concerned for the past 60 games or so they have been playing better than our Spurs (which doesn't thrill me, but lets be real).

Leetonidas
03-17-2006, 04:43 PM
The Miami Heat last year were a better team than last years Spurs team and this years Miami Heat team with a completely healthy Shaq, Wade and Zo and JWill playing at a high level are a better team than this years Spurs team. Pistons have more of an answer for Shaq than the Spurs do. What the faq is Duncan going to do? The way I see it, the way the refs let the Spurs flop around the floor like stupid seals in last years finals I expect to see alot of no calls on your bs team. <The Spurs team in 2006 :depressed >

Are you fucking retarded? Rasho guards Shaq, very well I might add, not Duncan.

So, if the Heat were better than us last year, than Heat > Pistons?

SpursWoman
03-17-2006, 04:44 PM
(Programming moment of the season: During the Clips-Suns game on Wednesday night, ESPN showed back-to-back Vince Carter commercials: One for Nike, one for T-Mobile. Sadly, they forgot to run his Massengill ad for the trifecta.)

I'm surprised no one mentioned this one yet. :lmao :lmao :lmao

Leetonidas
03-17-2006, 04:45 PM
how is admitting that the Pistons are currently playing the best basketball in the NBA (minus a few losing streaks) not supporting your team?? Give it a rest, not every Spurs fan has to be an f'n zombie and keep repeating the same crap over and over again, "the Spurs are the best, every other team sucks" etc...

The Pistons are a great team, and as far as I'm concerned for the past 60 games or so they have been playing better than our Spurs (which doesn't thrill me, but lets be real).

Um, if you actually read this guys posts, all he says is "This is not out season, there's no way we're repeating, Finley sucks, Detroit > Spurs, blah blah blah..."

I admit the Pistons are a great team, but until they beat the Spurs in the finals, they are not better than us.

Extra Stout
03-17-2006, 04:46 PM
If you actually watched the last game they played you would have seen that Shaq had probably close to 10 obvious offensive fouls that were not called. He just plowed through 2-3 defenders every time he went to the hole. But your a Spurs fans so I guess I can maybe understand your thinking.
You need to go back through Pistons fan remedial training. I believe one of your tenets is "Thou shalt not bitch about officiating as if thou wert Mark Cuban."

There's also, "Thou shalt never, ever blame officiating for losses, for it maketh thou sound like a whiny little pussy."

Extra Stout
03-17-2006, 04:52 PM
Are you fucking retarded? Rasho guards Shaq, very well I might add, not Duncan.

So, if the Heat were better than us last year, than Heat > Pistons?
No, you weren't following him. The only reason the Pistons ever lose is because of the officiating. That's why they lost to the Spurs. But if Shaq and Wade had been healthy, hypothetically, they would have beaten the Pistons, but his hypothetical excuse for that would have been all the no-calls Shaq gets on obvious fouls.

Peter
03-17-2006, 04:54 PM
The Heat were 'the real champions' last season. Two more and they can tie the Kings.

nkdlunch
03-17-2006, 04:55 PM
If you actually watched the last game they played you would have seen that Shaq had probably close to 10 obvious offensive fouls that were not called. He just plowed through 2-3 defenders every time he went to the hole. But your a Spurs fans so I guess I can maybe understand your thinking.

crying about refs seems to be Piston fans' favorite pastime

cheguevara
03-17-2006, 04:57 PM
:lol a Piston fan who says Heat were the best team last year. priceless

yeahone
03-17-2006, 04:59 PM
not a bad read even though he went overboard a little

wildbill2u
03-17-2006, 05:01 PM
The Spurs were on a very difficult road trip with 4 games in 5 days or something. I don't think their 'grim' mood reflects an old married couple. I think these guys really enjoy each other's company most of the time.

Sec24Row7
03-17-2006, 05:05 PM
No, you weren't following him. The only reason the Pistons ever lose is because of the officiating. That's why they lost to the Spurs. But if Shaq and Wade had been healthy, hypothetically, they would have beaten the Pistons, but his hypothetical excuse for that would have been all the no-calls Shaq gets on obvious fouls.

Shaq is a beast. I would enjoy facing him again.

polandprzem
03-17-2006, 05:15 PM

So this is a joke also?

The incredible thing is that Duncan can still control the game on one leg, and when they truly need him and his adrenaline starts going, he can have little spurts where it seems like he's fine

5ToolMan
03-17-2006, 05:46 PM
finley is a wash for us this year, and barry >>>>>>> finley

Finley is the 6th man for a Spurs team with its best record ever. That alone says he deserves some credit.

His shooting has been a lower percentage than expected, especially early in the year. Some of that is from new teammates not knowing where his sweat spots are AND him trying to fit into an established championship team.

Recently, after expected time for he and his teammates to get to know each other, he has been on a tear. He has been the difference maker in a several games throughout the year, some early and more in recent weeks.

Melmart1
03-17-2006, 05:53 PM
Anyone who reads Simmons on a regular basis knows he is way too sports savvy to believe any of this. The man mixes good, astute observations in with comic relief. The thought that the Spurs are anything less than contenders, even with Duncan's limitations, is the comic relief.

Leetonidas
03-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Ask any basketball fan who is not a Spurs homer/hater or a Pistons homer/hater and they will without a doubt tell you last years finals games played in San Antonio were some of the worst officated games in Finals history.

Isn't that one of the most ironic statements ever? Quit making excuses bitch, you lost.

aaronstampler
03-17-2006, 06:05 PM
I usually like Simmons, but this article was a fucking joke. He never watches us play the whole year, and he bases all his comments on the one Clippers game he watched when we were on a back-to-back?

I suppose if he just watched the Laker game the day before he'd have to write that Finley and Ginobili were the greatest three point shooters of all time.

He spends his time watching the Celtics and the Clips, and then watches a bazillion reality shows. Whatever other NBA games he watches involve "fun" teams like the Suns or Mavs.

When he says dumb stuff like our team doesn't like each other or that we have no chemistry, it shows he never watches us. Yeah, we have no chemistry, but a team with White Chocolate and 'Toine does? Right. I guess it doesn't matter that Miami is 1-7 against the good teams.

Basically he doesn't like us because we've got a bunch of foreigners and white guys and Simmons has never been a fan of either. To him, the only white guy who could ever play was Larry Bird, and everyone else is a soft, token, media-created fraud. Really, I can't wait til we tear through the Western Conference so he can bitch about Ginobili's flops and say stupid shit like TP can't really be French, because he's not surrendering to Jason Terry or god knows what.

He's a jerk, and he just has a bug up his ass about our team because every time we play the Celtics the game is over by halftime.

Spurminator
03-17-2006, 06:13 PM
Sounds like a lot of you have bugs up your asses.

Will this column still bother you in a year when Pop is still on the sideline? Lighten up, enjoy life.

cs100
03-17-2006, 06:14 PM
He has written some nice pieces on the Spurs. I don't agree with him and I don't think he is as humorous as he thinks he is, but he goofed on this piece.

Leetonidas
03-17-2006, 06:14 PM
And yes last years Miami Heat team was a better team than last years Pistons team also. Pistons know they were lucky to have Dwayne Wade injure himself. Shaq + Dwayne Wade = best two players in the NBA. Especially last year, not so much this year quite yet because of Shaq's slow decline.

You really are retarded.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-17-2006, 09:40 PM
Um, if you actually read this guys posts, all he says is "This is not out season, there's no way we're repeating, Finley sucks, Detroit > Spurs, blah blah blah..."

I admit the Pistons are a great team, but until they beat the Spurs in the finals, they are not better than us.

sorry bud thats NOT what i said at all. that is ridiculous. finley hasnt been so hot this year, thats a fact. nve is shit too this year. that is a fact. TD has PF. that is a fact. manu isnt playing nearly upto potential as he tries to gain confidence in his ankle injury. you'd be an idiot to say the spurs have NO chance what i AM saying is IF TD's PF is STILL nagging him come finals time and manu doesn't pick up the slack WE WILL LOSE TO THE PISTONS. plain and simple, too many of you go down on the spurs totally blindsided sometimes with how lacksadasical they're playing. there's all this SPAM bullshit talk but i guess this year that theory is coming a little late. this team isn't close to playoff form and maybe thats a good thing if they arent playing all that well and still on pace to have the best franchise w-l of all time. the spurs have a good shot at repeating, but duncan's PF will be the judge of that. and as OF THIS MOMENT

pistons > spurs

thats just the truth. maybe the finals that'll all change but the pistons are the number one team in the league right now, there isn't any doubt

Amuseddaysleeper
03-17-2006, 09:41 PM
Det!RipCity, there's only enough room for one village idiot on this board and thats me. please gtfo

thank you

mikejones99
03-17-2006, 11:22 PM
Miami is finally healthy and on a roll and woulda beat Detroit if Wade was healthy last year. Shaq n Zo are a very strong inside game that will test Tim, Nazr and Rasho. Miami has many vets off the bench and Detroit might wear down by the East finals. Not many people see the Spurs alot so when he watches the clips beat them of course he writes what he sees. Bill is still the best NFL and NBA writer out there. Detroit fans just hate foreigners who beat there ass.

Extra Stout
03-18-2006, 12:28 AM
Ask any basketball fan who is not a Spurs homer/hater or a Pistons homer/hater and they will without a doubt tell you last years finals games played in San Antonio were some of the worst officated games in Finals history.

Yeah you can call it whining but when it affects a team to the point of having to sit 2-3 starters two straight games in the first 5-10 minutes because of foul trouble your in denial.
The Pistons fans need to vote you off the island. You simply cannot continue to offer up weak officiating takes and still be allowed to root for those guys. It belittles everything they stand for.

Your whiny bitchy demeanor is best suited to be, say, a Nuggets fan.

NuGGeTs-FaN
03-18-2006, 12:36 AM
The Pistons fans need to vote you off the island. You simply cannot continue to offer up weak officiating takes and still be allowed to root for those guys. It belittles everything they stand for.

Your whiny bitchy demeanor is best suited to be, say, a Nuggets fan.

hey! i take offense to that :hat :lol

it should be suited for a laker or jazz fan.........
:elephant

Extra Stout
03-18-2006, 12:40 AM
hey! i take offense to that :hat :lol

it should be suited for a laker or jazz fan.........
:elephant
Sorry... I went to Denver last June.

The bitterness, oh the bitterness... the last person they wanted to see was a Spurs fan. Not friendly. Wonderful city, though, especially since my response to their surly attitudes was triumphant schadenfreude, which was a lot of fun.

Their attitude wasn't the worst, however. That was reserved for the Boulderites, who regard any Texan similar to the way an Iraqi Sunni regards a Shia.

NuGGeTs-FaN
03-18-2006, 01:00 AM
Sorry... I went to Denver last June.

The bitterness, oh the bitterness... the last person they wanted to see was a Spurs fan. Not friendly. Wonderful city, though, especially since my response to their surly attitudes was triumphant schadenfreude, which was a lot of fun.

Their attitude wasn't the worst, however. That was reserved for the Boulderites, who regard any Texan similar to the way an Iraqi Sunni regards a Shia.

its ok, im an aussie Nugget fan, so im not aware of the feelings of people from different US cities :fro

mikejones99
03-18-2006, 01:04 AM
If K Mart returns the nuggets could be as dangerous as the Broncos. For foreigners, that is a very good thing.

Leetonidas
03-18-2006, 01:10 AM
Det!RipCity, there's only enough room for one village idiot on this board and thats me. please gtfo

thank you

Well, at least you're admitting it. But you realize the Spurs are only one game behind Detroit, right?

NuGGeTs-FaN
03-18-2006, 01:12 AM
If K Mart returns the nuggets could be as dangerous as the Broncos. For foreigners, that is a very good thing.

yeh, i just wish Karl would sit him till the playoffs though

he plays him once ever few games and then K gets hurt again.....

now boykins is out till the playoffs, Najera is still injured, Camby got injured tonight, Kmart is always day to day, Linas Kleiza is hurting

it never ends, as long as it all comes together at the end of april, thats all that matters coz i dont see the Jazz catching the nuggets for the division title and despite tonights game (6th game in 8 days, start of the 3rd b2b on this roadtrip), the nugs own the grizzlies........

:hat

Amuseddaysleeper
03-18-2006, 01:20 AM
Well, at least you're admitting it. But you realize the Spurs are only one game behind Detroit, right?

yeah but i still see detroit > san antonio as of the moment

but in all honesty, with each week my confidence in the team does rise, its just against a front court of the wallaces and tim's PF, our interior game and rebounding will be man handled. also just tp playing awesome wont be enough, manu desperately needs to play out of his mind like he last playoffs, but he hasnt come close to that so far this season. and the spurs are 2 games behind detroit if you count the tiebreaker which we sadly are 0-2 to detroit in

Leetonidas
03-18-2006, 01:25 AM
yeah but i still see detroit > san antonio as of the moment

but in all honesty, with each week my confidence in the team does rise, its just against a front court of the wallaces and tim's PF, our interior game and rebounding will be man handled. also just tp playing awesome wont be enough, manu desperately needs to play out of his mind like he last playoffs, but he hasnt come close to that so far this season. and the spurs are 2 games behind detroit if you count the tiebreaker which we sadly are 0-2 to detroit in

The Pistons starters are becoming fatigued and Flip still does not trust the bench. Delfino is sitting on the bench when he should be playing, and their crunch time line up tonight was not very good.

spurs=bling
03-18-2006, 01:25 AM
The Pistons starters are becoming fatigued and Flip still does not trust the bench. Delfino is sitting on the bench when he should be playing, and their crunch time line up tonight was not very good.

oh so true.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-18-2006, 01:43 AM

well of course it isn't gonna be good when rip and sheed aren't even in the arena suring crunch time

Leetonidas
03-18-2006, 02:02 AM
well of course it isn't gonna be good when rip and sheed aren't even in the arena suring crunch time

I think the Spurs could beat the Knicks without Manu and Tim.

mikejones99
03-18-2006, 05:44 AM
Not anymore the Knicks are a Nazr away from the 8th spot in the east.

GO SPurs Go
03-18-2006, 06:27 PM
That's terrible, that way he would damage the ground.

CubanMustGo
03-19-2006, 05:17 PM
Not anymore the Knicks are a Nazr away from the 8th spot in the east.

That and about 50% more wins :lol

Rummpd
03-19-2006, 09:51 PM
How about a new coach, GM and half the roster?

SAGambler
03-20-2006, 12:55 AM

Yeah you can call it whining but when it affects a team to the point of having to sit 2-3 starters two straight games in the first 5-10 minutes because of foul trouble your in denial.
Yeah, so far this year the Pistons are like a plus 245 trips to the free throw line, and they still bitch about the refs.

The Spurs are a plus 5. So you tell me, who gets the calls?

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
03-20-2006, 01:21 AM
The officiating was horrible in the Finals only because it was inconsistent from game to game, not because it was slanted. That still isn't why the Spurs won, or rather, the Pistons lost...

IX_Equilibrium
03-20-2006, 07:37 PM
More proof that ESPN hires the biggest douchebags in sports (so-called) journalism.

IceCold CB1
03-22-2006, 01:28 PM
bill simmons is one of my least favorite writers on ESPN today.

He flip flops constantly on issues: last year he was riding the top of the Spurs bandwagon going into the finals, exclaming on how the spurs would sweep the pistons, then as soon as the pistons tied the series, he berated the spurs team play and jumped on the pistons bandwagon.

He beats a joke/point into the ground: I wanna know how many "articles" all he he would say about the pistons is how big of a bust darko was

He hates on a couple of people constantly while blindly ignoring the stupid mistakes of others: You will never see any articles on how McHale ruined the T-wolves franchise with his under the table max offer to Joe Smith, or how bird stupidly held on to artest for about a year too long. You will see him bash isiah in every article of his.

the only good thing simmons has done so far is give Paul Shirley some pub

rm13
03-22-2006, 02:28 PM
McHale: Have you seen some of the moves I have made? Name another GM who cost his team three first-round picks because he wanted to sign someone like Joe Smith to a max contract under the table! Name me another GM who would have willingly traded for Mark Blount, or given huge contracts to Marko Jaric and Troy Hudson, or signed sketchy character guys like Michael Olowokandi and Eddie Griffin! You don't think I would give KG away in a terrible trade? You're crazy! I resent that!

This same from a Bill Simmons articel about the bad GM's in the NBA-read his stuff before blindly acussing him. Bill Simmons writes to be funny-you are taking him way to seriously.

Talking about funny have any of you guys seen this?

Enrique, SA, TX: Bill, what were you thinking when you wrote that Spurs coach Greg Poppovich was going to retire after this season? Do you know how much money he would be walking away from if he did?

Bill Simmons: (1:30 PM ET ) I didn't, actually. The funny part was all the angry e-mails from the San Antonio era - is San Antonio a 3rd World country or something and nobody told me? I haven't seen that many misspellings and crazed threats in the history of my column... if there was a way to send e-mails in capital letters and crayons, that would have been the typical response from a Spurs fan. Do they have school systems there or is it simply home schooling and that's it?

LilMissSPURfect
03-22-2006, 02:31 PM
This same from a Bill Simmons articel about the bad GM's in the NBA-read his stuff before blindly acussing him. Bill Simmons writes to be funny-you are taking him way to seriously.

Talking about funny have any of you guys seen this?
Enrique, SA, TX: Bill, what were you thinking when you wrote that Spurs coach Greg Poppovich was going to retire after this season? Do you know how much money he would be walking away from if he did?

Bill Simmons: (1:30 PM ET ) I didn't, actually. The funny part was all the angry e-mails from the San Antonio era - is San Antonio a 3rd World country or something and nobody told me? I haven't seen that many misspellings and crazed threats in the history of my column... if there was a way to send e-mails in capital letters and crayons, that would have been the typical response from a Spurs fan. Do they have school systems there or is it simply home schooling and that's it?

He be steppin' on some toes there........