PDA

View Full Version : All Nba Guards?

mikejones99
03-17-2006, 11:32 PM
Who should be 1st 2nd and 3rd team? Nash Kobe Wade Billups Lebron AI ..... Parker honerable mention

Axare
03-17-2006, 11:36 PM
BronBron's a guard?

Pinto Bean
03-18-2006, 12:22 AM
Lebron James is a SF

mikejones99
03-18-2006, 01:07 AM
Maybe Tony Parker can get 3rd team all-NBA then

ShoogarBear
03-18-2006, 03:17 AM
1st: Nash, Kobe
2nd: Wade, Billups
3rd: Parker, AI

You could make a lot of arguments about the order, but no way Parker is higher than 3rd team. I'm not sure I remember another season where the 1st and 2nd teams are so tough to choose.

Sense
03-18-2006, 03:27 AM

You could make a lot of arguments about the order, but no way Parker is higher than 3rd team. I'm not sure I remember another season where the 1st and 2nd teams are so tough to choose.

:tu I like urs.

76er'sman
03-18-2006, 03:55 AM
A.I pg

hussker
03-18-2006, 12:17 PM

Looks like a good choice!

1Parker1
03-18-2006, 05:34 PM
1st: Nash, Wade
2nd: Kobe, AI
3rd: Billups, Parker

Kobe's been sucking for the past month or so...not sure if he deserves 1st team anymore :)

FromWayDowntown
03-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Parker will face the prejudice of being a young guy who's never seen these heights. He was a no-brainer all-star, but will media sorts buy that he is one of the 6 best guards in the association? I'm skeptical.

His play warrants that sort of praise, though. If coaches had those votes, I'd be more optimistic about Tony's chances.

Darrin
03-22-2006, 02:27 AM
How it should be:

1st:
Chauncey Billups (19.0 ppg, 8.7 apg, 3.1 rpg),
Kobe Bryant (34.8 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 4.7 apg, 1.81 spg)
2nd:
Steve Nash (19.8 ppg, 10.8 apg, 4.3 rpg),
Dwyane Wade (27.7 ppg, 6.7 apg, 5.8 rpg, 1.89 spg)
3rd:
Tony Parker (19.2 ppg, 5.8 apg, 3.3 rpg, 1.06 spg)
Paul Pierce (27.1 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 4.8 apg, 1.40 spg).

How it will be:

1st:
Kobe, D. Wade
2nd:
Allen Iverson, Steve Nash
3rd:
Chauncey Billups, Tony Parker

Supergirl
03-22-2006, 08:45 AM
1: Wade, Billups - best all around. both solid defensively and offensively and very clutch. both play for top teams.
2. Nash, Kobe - both very talented but with huge weak spots (nash- defense. kobe- sharing the ball). Nash has led his team into the elite, Kobe has led his team into the mediocre.
3. Parker, Iverson (Parker is better in many ways than Nash and Kobe, but not quite. Iverson is phenomonal and can play either G position, but has barely led his team into mediocrity.

ShoogarBear
03-22-2006, 08:47 AM
Is Pierce listed at guard or forward?

Supergirl
03-22-2006, 08:49 AM
Good point about Pierce. He should supplant Iverson, but only cause he's played more games. He shouldn't move any higher than 3rd team, though, since his team still sucks.

JMarkJohns
03-22-2006, 10:13 AM
How it should be:

1st:
Chauncey Billups (19.0 ppg, 8.7 apg, 3.1 rpg),
2nd:
Steve Nash (19.8 ppg, 10.8 apg, 4.3 rpg),

Points? Nash
Assists? Nash
Rebounds? Nash
FG%? Nash
FT%? Nash

Am I missing something? Are you saying that Billups has had a better season than Nash? If so, I think you need to be examined. Not to mention, Billups has had a completely healthy starting lineup for the entire season. Nash is missing his #1 option from last year and has helped five new teammates to career high averages in points and other misc... stats.

I agree with ShoogarBear and would be willing to go as far as saying a Kobe/Wade 1st team is acceptable. Billups, however, isn't having a better statistical season than Nash. He just is not and that's what this recognition is for.

Darrin
03-23-2006, 02:31 AM
Points? Nash
Assists? Nash
Rebounds? Nash
FG%? Nash
FT%? Nash

Am I missing something? Are you saying that Billups has had a better season than Nash? If so, I think you need to be examined. Not to mention, Billups has had a completely healthy starting lineup for the entire season. Nash is missing his #1 option from last year and has helped five new teammates to career high averages in points and other misc... stats.

I agree with ShoogarBear and would be willing to go as far as saying a Kobe/Wade 1st team is acceptable. Billups, however, isn't having a better statistical season than Nash. He just is not and that's what this recognition is for.

Dig a little deeper into the numbers. Billups has 8.7 apg on 2.17 turnovers. That's a 4.03 assist-to-turnover ratio, and that's number one in the league.
Nash has 10.8 assists on 3.58 turnovers, a 3.00 assist-to-turnover ratio. Mr. Nash is second in the league in turnovers (233, second only to Gilbert Arenas). Chauncey Billups is 43rd (143, sandwiched between Ray Allen and Brevin Knight).

Nash may have percentage points (.922 to .903) on free throws, guess who's taken more? Chauncey Billups by 173 attempts (431 to 258).

Billups is third in 3-point field goals made (154), seventh in 3-point percentage (.431). Nash has 36 less than Billups, and 81 less attempts. That accounts for their field goal differential to some degree, although not all of it.

Billups has set his career high in points (37), assists (19), and free throws (15) this season. He's been named a first-time All-Star, and player of the month for the first time in his career (January).

Not to mention that Billups plays one side of the basketball that Nash pays very little attention to. Nash has had a great season, but no point guard is more well-rounded or efficent than Mr. Big Shot.

mikejones99
03-23-2006, 05:09 AM
By that reasoning then Tony parker would be 1st team all-nba with Chauncey.

Darrin
03-23-2006, 08:37 AM
By that reasoning then Tony parker would be 1st team all-nba with Chauncey.

Tony Parker isn't third in the league in assists with the number one assist-to-turnover ratio in the league. How Billups can improve his assists by three a game (5.8 in 2005 vs. 8.8 in 2006), and have his turnovers go DOWN (2.25 in 2005, 2.19 in 2006), is an amazing point guard feat. Having said that, you'll notice, in my realistic prediction of what it will be, Billups is third-team.

JMarkJohns
03-23-2006, 10:06 AM
Tony Parker isn't third in the league in assists with the number one assist-to-turnover ratio in the league. How Billups can improve his assists by three a game (5.8 in 2005 vs. 8.8 in 2006), and have his turnovers go DOWN (2.25 in 2005, 2.19 in 2006), is an amazing point guard feat. Having said that, you'll notice, in my realistic prediction of what it will be, Billups is third-team.

Parker is top-3 in FG%.

Billups is certainly a worthy MVP candidate, but the All NBA teams are purely statistical and I don't believe Billlups numbers are better than Nash's.

Like I said, I'd be willing to say Wade and Bryant are First team, but can't say that about Billups.

2Cleva
03-23-2006, 10:12 AM
Where's Chris Paul?

ShoogarBear
03-23-2006, 10:14 AM
the All NBA teams are purely statistical

Um, says who?

The All-NBA teams are about saying who played the best at each position, regardless of statistics.

ShoogarBear
03-23-2006, 10:17 AM
Where's Chris Paul?

Good question. Guess Kobe doesn't make it then. :)

You could argue Paul should be there ahead of Parker. In another year or two Paul will be a fixture anyway.

JamStone
03-23-2006, 10:19 AM
Nash, Kobe
Billups, Wade
Iverson, Arenas

Sorry, Tony, I think they might give Arenas the honor over you. But, even as a Pistons fan, I'd rather have Tony Parker on my team than Gilbert. Chris Paul has been spectacular this year. I still don't think he cracks the top 6 guards in the league. But, it's close.

ShoogarBear
03-23-2006, 10:28 AM
:vomit Arenas

I get to see this guy all the time. He has abolutely no team sense. If he isn't getting his stats, then he'll sabotage the team without a second thought.

He's the worst kind of player: talented enough to get you to a certain point, but will never win you anything. Fool's Gold for Wizard fans.

But yeah, if you think the All-NBA teams are based on statistics only, he's definitely in the top six.

JamStone
03-23-2006, 10:43 AM
ShoogaBear,

I agree with you. I don't like how Arenas plays at all either. Completely a me-first guy. No team mentality.

With that said, I chose the guards I think WOULD get the honor, not who I hope get the honor. Otherwise, I'd make an argument for BOTH Billups and Wade to be the first team all NBA, and I would put Chris Paul in the top six as well.

I agree. Arenas makes me want to puke also.

TDMVPDPOY
03-23-2006, 11:20 AM
I dont really care if parker gets 1st team or not, im more concerned if duncan is goin to make the all nba 1st team or not, unless they put him in at center over yao.

FromWayDowntown
03-23-2006, 11:26 AM
I'd be shocked if Duncan is First Team. I'd be surprised if he made the Second Team for that matter. By the numbers, Duncan is in the conversation at forward, but that's about it.

I think Nash is the favorite for MVP right now, and I'd be shocked if the MVP didn't end up on the All-NBA First Team. Actually, now that I think about it, I wonder if that has ever happened.

JamStone
03-23-2006, 11:30 AM
Yeah, I think it will be tough for Duncan to make the first team ahead of LeBron James, Dirk Nowitzki, Elton Brand, and even Shawn Marion. It will be close if he even makes second team.

ShoogarBear
03-23-2006, 11:51 AM
I think Nash is the favorite for MVP right now, and I'd be shocked if the MVP didn't end up on the All-NBA First Team. Actually, now that I think about it, I wonder if that has ever happened.

Yeah, it happened a couple of times in the Wilt/Russell years. Russ would win the MVP but Wilt was 1st team.

Part of the reason for that was that at that time, MVP was a player vote and the All-League teams were a media vote.

I think the year Wes Unseld won MVP he may not have been 1st team either.

TDMVPDPOY
03-23-2006, 11:51 AM
I dont think nash is goin to repeat mvp, dirk is goin to get the mvp, he has shown that without the canadian the mavs are still a 55 winning team. Thats 2 seasons now.

Duncan might get first allnba team, if the they elect him cose of his teams record. You gotto give the guys credit for playin with PF and his team is still winnin games, i dont wanna discredit the other guyz, but i dont think the other guys will be able to play on with minor injuries. TD = IRON MAN on a mission

JamStone
03-23-2006, 12:09 PM
I don't think you take into account injury when voting for the all NBA teams. I think you just vote on which players you think has had the best seasons.

I think most people would think Elton Brand, Dirk Nowitzki, LeBron James, and Shawn Marion have had better seasons than Tim Duncan.

ShoogarBear
03-23-2006, 12:13 PM
Duncan making 1st team would be a travesty. Probably 2nd team as well (although I could argue that Marion's impact on a game, despite his stats, is nowhere near Duncan's).

Yeah, he's injured, but those are the breaks. Points out another way in which Jordan was just remarkable.

JMarkJohns
03-23-2006, 05:53 PM
Duncan making 1st team would be a travesty. Probably 2nd team as well (although I could argue that Marion's impact on a game, despite his stats, is nowhere near Duncan's)...

I'd agree here. No GM would rather have Marion than Duncan, but for this season, Marion's stats are better, even if his impact isn't even as high as Duncan's and since this is a statistical recognition, it wouldn't surprise me if he's 2nd-team.

Forwards would be James/Dirk for 1st, then maybe Brand/Marion for 2nd and Duncan/Bosh for third.

Though second and third team are very up in the air.

JamStone
03-23-2006, 06:11 PM
If a forward from a non-playoff team is on one of the all NBA teams, Kevin Garnett deserves it more than Chris Bosh. Bosh has had a breakout season, but KG still puts up better numbers and his statistical dropoff is no where near as some people might think. So, if you consider Chris Bosh, you should probably consider Kevin Garnett first.

1st team: LeBron James, Dirk Nowitzki
2nd team: Paul Pierce, Elton Brand
3rd team: Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett

Shawn Marion deserves to be there, but I just can't put him above Tim Duncan or Kevin Garnett, now that I think about it a little more. It would be even tougher if Tracy McGrady and Jermaine O'Neal weren't injured so much this season. Dwight Howard could argue for a spot as well.

ShoogarBear
03-23-2006, 06:13 PM
Did we ever settle whether Pierce was a guard or a forward?

JamStone
03-23-2006, 06:27 PM
Well, Paul Pierce was listed as a forward for the all star game, so I'm guessing he would be categorized as a forward for the all NBA teams as well?

I'm not sure, but that's the only reference I could think of since he's been listed as both in his career.

mikejones99
03-26-2006, 06:57 AM
Updated: 1st team should be Shaq, Duncan, Dirk, Wade and Parker 2nd team Yao, Lebron, Marion, Billups and Nash 3rd Kobe AI KG pierce and Ben