PDA

View Full Version : So Much for Detroit Winning 70 Games This Season

Spurs16212
03-18-2006, 02:00 AM
I was ticked off when we reached the middle of the season when most of the media was pimping the idea that the Detroit Pistons were going to match the Chicage Bulls 70 win season. Their hopes of this ended tonight when Detroit lost to the worst team in the league. Detroit was blindsided by a team effort and not a star effort from "Starbury." There can be an interesting twist to the end of the season.

Dallas beats Detroit and sweeps the season series. San Antonio beats Dallas to win the series and end up with a three way tie. Neither team will be guaranteed Home court throughout the playoffs.

Detroit has the tiebreaker over San Antonio
San Antonio has the tiebreaker over Dallas
Dallas has the tiebreaker over Detroit. Intresting scenario........

T.F. Storm
03-18-2006, 02:02 AM
Anyone who thought the Pistons would win 70 games were kidding themselves. The Pistons don't have a player like Jordan they can fall back on to carry them through tough games like the Bulls did.

Spurs16212
03-18-2006, 02:04 AM
I agree... They are one major injury from tanking this season. They have gone all this way with no injury at all. San Antonio and Dallas have worked their way this season with injuries. I believe we will have a San Antonio repeat this season.

Sec24Row7
03-18-2006, 02:10 AM
San Antonio Didn't exactly destroy anyone last year in the playoffs (sept the suns).

Whoever wins the Championship this year is going to have to have their fair share of luck.

FreshPrince22
03-18-2006, 02:12 AM
70 wins was out the door a long time ago. If they kept their focus they probably could have, but they didn't.

Why do you even care? It was just some BS made up by the media. None of the Pistons players gave a damn about 70 wins. They want 1 more win than the next best team. Simple as that.

Sense
03-18-2006, 03:26 AM
70 wins was out the door a long time ago. If they kept their focus they probably could have, but they didn't.

Why do you even care? It was just some BS made up by the media. None of the Pistons players gave a damn about 70 wins. They want 1 more win than the next best team. Simple as that.

They started to "care" when everyone thought they had a chance, and even chauncey stated in an interview that they were going for the 70 wins...

Don't tell us they didn't give a damn, all the hype, hyped them up aswell...

Your team isn't exactly like the Spurs team, and you might notice that.... there's SOME ego in your team...

None on this one.

mavsfan1000
03-18-2006, 03:51 AM
It's safe to say that Detroit won't win 70 games. I knew they wouldn't without a bench and a coach that is soft. Still the pistons are really talented and can beat anybody if they play their game.

JamStone
03-18-2006, 10:30 AM
They started to "care" when everyone thought they had a chance, and even chauncey stated in an interview that they were going for the 70 wins...

Don't tell us they didn't give a damn, all the hype, hyped them up aswell...

Your team isn't exactly like the Spurs team, and you might notice that.... there's SOME ego in your team...

None on this one.

Could you please dig up that interview where Chauncey said that. I didn't hear that or read that from Chauncey. Please give me a link or article, because I don't believe you.

T Park
03-18-2006, 11:14 AM
It's safe to say that Detroit won't win 70 games

Seeing as they have lost 13 games, yeah its safe to say.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Seeing as they have lost 13 games, yeah its safe to say.

Damnit, T Park...you beat me to it.

Great going out on a limb there, M1000.

bdubya
03-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Could you please dig up that interview where Chauncey said that. I didn't hear that or read that from Chauncey. Please give me a link or article, because I don't believe you.

Seconded. I read everything I can find, and don't recall that at all.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-18-2006, 11:25 AM
Closest I ever remember reading about Chauncey was saying that if they were close in April, then they'd go for it.

ZStomp
03-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Closest I ever remember reading about Chauncey was saying that if they were close in April, then they'd go for it.

What does that mean?

So now they won't try to win games???

:wtf

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-18-2006, 11:33 AM
What does that mean?

So now they won't try to win games???

:wtf

I'm probably guessing extra planning for 70 wins, not taking extra chances with guys who could rest late, etc.

T Park
03-18-2006, 11:34 AM
Damnit, T Park...you beat me to it.

Come on JB, gotta let a moron like me snag a bone once in a while :lmao

angel_luv
03-18-2006, 11:41 AM
I don't know that I would call losing by two being "blind sided."
Granted all I have to go by is the box score, but I do know that everyone, including the Spurs, sometimes lose against teams they normally squash.

Even with this loss on their record, the Pistons are still a very good team having an excellent season.

SAGambler
03-18-2006, 11:45 AM
There can be an interesting twist to the end of the season.

Dallas beats Detroit and sweeps the season series. San Antonio beats Dallas to win the series and end up with a three way tie. Neither team will be guaranteed Home court throughout the playoffs.

Detroit has the tiebreaker over San Antonio
San Antonio has the tiebreaker over Dallas
Dallas has the tiebreaker over Detroit. Intresting scenario........

Check the schedules. Detroit may be in dire straights just to keep HCA. For a team that it looked like may have peaked before the All Star Break, this upcoming schedule may be a killer. They still have to go thru the Mavs, the Suns, the Heat, and the Cavs if Lebron plays like he should. Those could all be losses for the Pistons.

Many of the Detroit fans are under the impression that they can just "turn it on when they want to". I think that is a bad impression to be under.

Watching the games I can lately, it seems Detroit has run out of gas.

And fallen in love with the 3 pt attempts.

exstatic
03-18-2006, 11:55 AM
People just don't understand what 70 wins means. Only two teams have ever done it. The Celtics of the late 50s to late 60s, probably the best most consistant team over the course of one decade EVER, never did it. You have to win over 85% of your games just to get there.

If the Spurs beat the Rox tonight, they'll be on a pace for 65 wins, which is a huge accomplishment.

T Park
03-18-2006, 12:37 PM
65 66 games is awesome.

polandprzem
03-18-2006, 12:51 PM
65 66 games is awesome.

It is. And anly the best squads in history could accomplish that.

Looking back. You see Bird having players like McHale or Parish or Vinnie Johnson.
You see Magic with Jabbar, Worthy, Cooper and all bunch of role players and fantastic support.

What doeas Timmy have?

Gino with the 47th (?) pick in the draft. Tony with 28th , Bowen was undrafted. Who is Rasho? And the spurs won.
Look at Tim . He is not athletic he has got no matchup adventages. As you look at him - he has got no skills.
But he has. This game is not about how good can be your numbers and how good you can be. It's about the team. And Tim is making ths team work alongside with Pop and the organizacion. But he is the core of it.........

Malik Rose was at the end of a draft also and tghe've won 2 championships. Check this out. Stephen jackson was not a NBA product till the day Pop decided to have him. He couldn't hang on the Nets squad. (that's why I think JJR would be a good addicion this summer -same coach Scott). And in Tim's team he became the starting SG and won the championship. Damn even Hedo was plaing fenomenal in regular season. But someone took his purse and he was unable to do nothing. (maybe there was something special in his purse - I don't know)

Yes 66 wins are awesome

picnroll
03-18-2006, 12:55 PM
Nope. Pistons came out of the gates PO'd at losing the finals and they were playing with the intensity that most teams don't bring until the home stretch. Now other teams are hitting the whip and the Pistons are hitting the wall. I'm beginning to think they won't get past the Heat.

MI21
03-18-2006, 12:58 PM
People just don't understand what 70 wins means. Only two teams have ever done it.

?

Bulls of 95-96 with 72 wins.

Then Bulls of 96-97 with 69 wins along with the Lakers from early 70's, I wanna say 71-72 but I'm not sure.

polandprzem
03-18-2006, 01:01 PM
?

Bulls of 95-96 with 72 wins.

Then Bulls of 96-97 with 69 wins along with the Lakers from early 70's, I wanna say 71-72 but I'm not sure.

yup 1972 Goodrich West and Wilt

exstatic
03-18-2006, 01:33 PM
?

Bulls of 95-96 with 72 wins. [One]

Then Bulls of 96-97 with 69 wins along with the Lakers from early 70's, I wanna say 71-72 but I'm not sure.[Two]

Correct me If I'm wrong, but that adds up to TWO teams doing it in 60 years, which is what I said. :lol 69 doesn't count. There have been a number of teams that won between 65 and 69 games in a season, most recently one of the Shaq/Kobe Laker squads with 66. That ridiculous Bird Celtic squad that only lost like 1-2 home games only finished with 67 wins.

Why the question mark, MI21?

angel_luv
03-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Gino with the 47th (?) pick in the draft. Tony with 28th , Bowen was undrafted. Who is Rasho?

Rasho was drafted in the first round (1998) - 17th overall.

Extra Stout
03-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Correct me If I'm wrong, but that adds up to TWO teams doing it in 60 years, which is what I said. :lol 69 doesn't count. There have been a number of teams that won between 65 and 69 games in a season, most recently one of the Shaq/Kobe Laker squads with 66. That ridiculous Bird Celtic squad that only lost like 1-2 home games only finished with 67 wins.

Why the question mark, MI21?
Only ONE team has ever done it, not two. Just the 95-96 Bulls.

The 96-97 Bulls and 71-72 Lakers are tied for second w/69 wins.

Also, the 99-00 Lakers won 67 games, not 66.

Chris Childs
03-18-2006, 04:03 PM
im so glad my knicks ended the pisstains 70 win season!

WayDowntownBang
03-18-2006, 04:06 PM
I'm still waiting for a link to that article that has Chauncey saying that the team was going for 70 wins.

WayDowntownBang
03-18-2006, 04:07 PM
im so glad my knicks ended the pisstains 70 win season!

I'm so glad that the Knicks decided to give Larry Brown his 'dream job' :lol

JamStone
03-18-2006, 04:20 PM
Oh my God!!! 18 games left in the regular season, and people can now say with certainty that the Pistons won't win 70 games this year. 18 games left.

As of last night, there are already 16 teams in the NBA that WILL NOT WIN 50 games this season.

Pistons should be ashamed of themselves.

Mrs.Szczerbiak
03-18-2006, 05:08 PM
I'm still waiting for a link to that article that has Chauncey saying that the team was going for 70 wins.

Just drop it buddy. Not a big deal. I know it's upsetting that your team lost to the Knicks, but Chauncey probably DID say they wanted to go for 70 wins. I mean, for a while it seemed they might have done just that.

Let's move on....

JamStone
03-18-2006, 07:10 PM
Well, if Sense is going to say that Chauncey said something, and some of us question that Chauncey actually said it, why can't we ask for proof, a link, an article? Because if Chauncey did not in fact say it, his point is wrong.

Sense
03-18-2006, 07:12 PM
Well, if Sense is going to say that Chauncey said something, and some of us question that Chauncey actually said it, why can't we ask for proof, a link, an article? Because if Chauncey did not in fact say it, his point is wrong.

It was said after a game....

There was no article..

yeahone
03-18-2006, 07:15 PM
70 wins were jsut a stunt by Espn

Sense
03-18-2006, 07:18 PM
Oh, and btw Jam.... I really don't care if you believe me or not. I know what I heard, and since I was not expecting that coming from him, I just can't be mistaken.

JamStone
03-18-2006, 07:23 PM
Well, perhaps you are mistaken, because I have most likely heard a lot more Chauncey interviews than you and I have heard him say just the opposite. So, if I heard Chauncey specifically say that the team was not thinking about trying to win 70 games, and you only thought you heard it ONCE, does that mean it's more credible to believe what you thought you heard once or what I thought I heard several times?

I'm glad you don't care if I believe you or not. What does that have anything to do with what Chauncey said?

T.F. Storm
03-18-2006, 07:25 PM
I was not expecting that coming from him, I just can't be mistaken.
:lol

Sense
03-18-2006, 07:26 PM
Well, perhaps you are mistaken, because I have most likely heard a lot more Chauncey interviews than you and I have heard him say just the opposite. So, if I heard Chauncey specifically say that the team was not thinking about trying to win 70 games, and you only thought you heard it ONCE, does that mean it's more credible to believe what you thought you heard once or what I thought I heard several times?

I'm glad you don't care if I believe you or not. What does that have anything to do with what Chauncey said?

hahahaha

Whatever, keep trying to believe you know everything about your team and every single word that comes out of their mouth.

But trying to believe that they're the perfect team is just too homerish of you..

JamStone
03-18-2006, 07:33 PM
I think they're far from perfect. In fact before the season started, I predicted that the Pacers would be the team with the best record in the East and that the Spurs were the team to beat.

I think the Spurs and the Mavs are every bit as good as the Pistons and on any given night better than the Pistons.

The Pistons are not perfect. But, you want to believe that's how I feel so you can try to put me down. Ok. If that helps you sleep at night and keeps the Pistons fan hate strong in your heart.

I just called you out specifically on something I believed was false. Deal with it. And, since you couldn't prove that it was true and basically have said you don't have any proof, it's really whatever at this point.

jochhejaam
03-18-2006, 08:05 PM
It was said after a game....

There was no article..
Could you be a little more vague? :lol

Sense
03-18-2006, 11:31 PM
Could you be a little more vague? :lol

I wouldn't have stated anything I knew nothing about.

I specifically remember what Chauncey said because I didn't think the Pistons would respond to all of the 70 win bs....

Like I said, don't believe me, I really don't care....

But out of everyone, I'd expect this from a Piston fan.

FreshPrince22
03-19-2006, 01:30 AM
I've never once heard a player say they were shooting for 70 wins. In fact, Chauncey always said things like "Man, that's crazy. I can't even think about that." Ben always said he just wants 1 more win than the Spurs and Mavs. Everyone else just kind of wrote it off and said if it's there for the taking in the final 8-10 games, then they'll start to think about it

JamStone
03-19-2006, 01:58 AM
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060112/SPORTS0102/601120336/1004/SPORTS

"Truth is, the prospect of winning 70 games is so far off the Pistons' radar, the players have to be coaxed into talking seriously about it.

'I have not had one conversation with one single player about that," Pistons guard Chauncey Billups said. "It's good to write about that, you know, because I guess we are in striking distance, or whatever. But that is such an amazing feat, it's tough to even fathom right now. It's early January.'"

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/columnists/david_aldridge/13524257.htm

On the talk of 70 or 72 wins:

"Come see me in March," Chauncey Billups said.

http://www.nba.com/features/pistons_chase_70.html

Chauncey quoted around February 8, 2006 when the Pistons were 40-8:

"We don't even think about that, man," Pistons point guard Chauncey Billups said after Detroit defeated the Knicks 105-79 at Madison Square Garden in mid-January. "My whole thing is, if we're close to it in April, maybe then I'll start thinking about it."

Sense
03-19-2006, 02:15 AM
it wasnt the knicks ^

jochhejaam
03-19-2006, 11:30 AM
I wouldn't have stated anything I knew nothing about.

I specifically remember what Chauncey said because I didn't think the Pistons would respond to all of the 70 win bs....

Like I said, don't believe me, I really don't care....

But out of everyone, I'd expect this from a Piston fan.
Spurs fans can just as readily identify vaguaries when they see them as Piston fans.
You're crystal clear about what Billups alledgedly said but you offer nothing to substantiate it. That does not pass muster in the Court of Spurstalk.com NBA News Central!! :lol

Sense
03-19-2006, 05:39 PM
Spurs fans can just as readily identify vaguaries when they see them as Piston fans.
You're crystal clear about what Billups alledgedly said but you offer nothing to substantiate it. That does not pass muster in the Court of Spurstalk.com NBA News Central!! :lol

Never said I wanted anything to pass on anything, I clearly stated I don't care if you believe me or not.

bdubya
03-19-2006, 08:24 PM
But trying to believe that they're the perfect team is just too homerish of you..

When did JamStone say anything like that? Was it the same day that Chauncey said he wanted 70 wins? :lol :lol :lol

jochhejaam
03-19-2006, 08:43 PM
When did JamStone say anything like that? Was it the same day that Chauncey said he wanted 70 wins? :lol :lol :lol
:lol

Tanya
03-19-2006, 11:32 PM
it wasnt the knicks ^

We are the pistons fans. We focus on the pistons players and their comments of every post game or every interview. You said something that's not ture and when some pistons fans questioning where did you hear that then you said YOU DON'T CARE. We need to make that clear because Chauncey didn't say that. You are making Chauncey look like a joke. The media is the joke, the pistons isn't.
The pistons are not the bulls. Chauncey said in an interview before the all star break that all they want is to win 53, or 63, just one more than whoever win the west. So to some of those spurs fans who are still making fun of that unreal 70 wins and trying to use it to attack the lowly pistons, I hope it can make you feel better and I hope it can make you think the pistons are not the threat to the spurs anymore.