PDA

View Full Version : Implicit Association Test- do you have a subconscious preference toward different gro

Samr
03-18-2006, 09:54 AM
Basically, Harvard is doing a study on implicit association, that is, unconscious decisions or judgements. For example, you may think you do not have a black or white bias, whereas in reality your bias is quite strong. The same can be said of different ethnic origin, physical build (fat vs. slim), sexual orientation, and the list-- as well as the different tests-- can go on.

If that sounds interesting,

click here (https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/demo/selectatest.jsp)

Now for a bit more detailed explanation of what is going on. I am currently reading the book Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. It's a psycological explanation of what goes on beneath the surface of conscious thinking, i.e. a car is comming toward you and you jump out of the way. You did not have time to think about your possible options, and weigh them, you simply made a decision. A potentially life-or-death decision. In the Blink of an eye.

One example focused on this Harvard study on "implicit association," which I have already described above. The example given in the book was a gutted version of one of the tests (linked to above) on racial preference, and the online test works as follows:

What it does is gives you two categories: WHITE and BLACK. You are then shown different faces of white or black people, and told to place them into either category, as fast as possible. Simple, right?

Now you are given two more categories: GOOD and BAD. The screen flashes words like love, passion, success, pain, abuse, failure and you place them into categories. Again, easy enough.

Next the categories combine: WHITE OR GOOD and BLACK OR BAD. Now you are shown a random combination of faces and words, and you place them into their respective column.

Now the categories switch: WHITE OR BAD and BLACK OR GOOD. Again, same process.

The computer measures both the number of correct answers, as well as the TIME it took to place the items. You are asked to fill in a simple survey, which is completely confidential and used only for research purposes (eg. "how would you rate your feelings towards X race?" "what race are you?"). In the end, it gives you an explanation of the results.

I know this was a long post, but the results are a bit scary. Do YOU have a bias you never saw?

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-18-2006, 10:56 AM
I just took the presidential test and it said I have a slight bias toward Roosevelt over GWB.

Just my random thoughts about the test, but I could see where I made the mistakes in the choices and it really seemed that they were genuine mistakes over which side they were on - not necessarily biases (especially when in the beginning of the test, I picked a strong bias towards Roosevelt over GWB).

Interesting thoughts, though, samr...I'll take the other tests later and post the results.

CharlieMac
03-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for White compared to Black..

I hope people can be honest in their results.

CharlieMac
03-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Man, all of those test are really interesting. I'll take them later on tonight.

Samr
03-18-2006, 11:23 AM
Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for White compared to Black

I thought for sure mine would be "moderate," no less (because I tried to be honest with myself) but certainly no more.

I was in Puerto Rico yesterday, downtown trying to spend a 5-hour layover, and I caught myself checking for my wallet a few times. I bought the book back at the airport, and it was a bit disheartening to realize why.

Spurminator
03-18-2006, 11:39 AM
Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between African American and White American.

Woohoo!

That said, I do, apparently, associate African Americans with weapons moreso than White Americans.

T Park
03-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Fascinating.

SpursWoman
03-18-2006, 11:59 AM
Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for Gay People compared to Straight People.

That's kind of funny ... I'm not gay, but I know exactly why this test came out the way it did. :lol

desflood
03-18-2006, 07:54 PM
I have a moderate preference for fat people over thin people. How 'bout that.

cecil collins
03-18-2006, 08:32 PM
Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for White compared to Black..

I hope people can be honest in their results.
Me too, but my friends showed a strong preference, so I felt less racist. I took most of them a couple of weeks ago. I have a strong preference for skinny people, young people, and abled people, I strongly associate black people with weapons, and I surprisingly prefer Bush to Reagon, who knew?

cecil collins
03-18-2006, 08:33 PM
No automatic preference on gay or straight.

Guru of Nothing
03-18-2006, 09:23 PM
I just don't like these kind of tests. Try as they may, context is SEVERELY lacking.

Do I feel American?? What a fucking nebulous question, for me to evaluate my degree of Americanism; and it's completely fucked up for some stranger to draw conclusions on me based upon how American I am feeling the moment.

cecil collins
03-22-2006, 01:58 PM
I just don't like these kind of tests. Try as they may, context is SEVERELY lacking.

Do I feel American?? What a fucking nebulous question, for me to evaluate my degree of Americanism; and it's completely fucked up for some stranger to draw conclusions on me based upon how American I am feeling the moment.
That's unAmerican.

PM5K
03-22-2006, 03:32 PM
I don't need a test, I don't like gays, blacks, fat people or George Bush, and if George Bush were gay and black and fat I'd hate him even more.

Jekka
03-22-2006, 03:33 PM
That's kind of funny ... I'm not gay, but I know exactly why this test came out the way it did. :lol

Haha, same here.

Trainwreck2100
03-22-2006, 03:37 PM

There something about User we don't know

Haha, same here.

Hmm...http://www.ezekielbearsports.com/bbs/images/yahoo/thinking.gif

SpursWoman
03-22-2006, 03:46 PM
There something about User we don't know

Nope ... as I was growing up, my mom was heavily involved in the San Antonio Little Theater, was a hair dresser for several years, and was involved in the bridge community for about 35 years. If that doesn't tip anyone off as to why, I really don't know what to say....other than my mom had to have been the biggest fag-hag I've ever met. :lol

I've grown up around a lot of really interesting people. :)

Trainwreck2100
03-22-2006, 03:47 PM
Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for Straight People compared to Gay People.

Yes, still straight

Trainwreck2100
03-22-2006, 03:49 PM
Nope ... as I was growing up, my mom was heavily involved in the San Antonio Little Theater, was a hair dresser for several years, and was involved in the bridge community for about 35 years. If that doesn't tip anyone off as to why, I really don't know what to say....other than my mom had to have been the biggest fag-hag I've ever met. :lol

I've grown up around a lot of really interesting people. :)

sure "theatre" http://www.ezekielbearsports.com/bbs/images/yahoo/wink.gif

easjer
03-22-2006, 04:34 PM
I have no automatic preference for White or Black.
I have a moderate automatic preference for GWB than Ronald Reagan (huh? must be Iran Contra).
I have a moderate automatic preference for fat people to thin peope (that one doesn't surprise me, since I'm fat, but I could also see it going the other way, since I despise my body).

Interesting, but no time to do more.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-22-2006, 06:25 PM
That test says I have a moderate preference for Judaism as opposed to other religions.

Interesting considering I've only been in a synagogue once in my life. . .but that Adam Sandler is a funny guy and I heard he's Jewish.

Darrin
03-22-2006, 06:28 PM
I have a strong preference for light complexion over dark, and a slight preference for Ronald Reagan over George W. Bush.

tlongII
03-22-2006, 06:30 PM

Is User gay?

timvp
03-22-2006, 06:34 PM
That ish was too boring.

I felt like I was being brainwashed by a fat, gay white guy whose favorite president was Clinton . . .

SpursWoman
03-22-2006, 06:38 PM
Is User gay?

Not by a long shot. :)

tlongII
03-22-2006, 06:46 PM
I have a strong preference for farm animals over forest animals.

Darrin
03-22-2006, 06:55 PM
I have a strong preference for Tyra Banks and a bucket of honey.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-22-2006, 06:57 PM
The idea we don't know what we think, and that it can/should be determined by a third party is scary in itself. It's scaried to think of the slippery slope that would create. Where does it stop?

Please_dont_ban_me
03-22-2006, 06:57 PM
I have a strong preference for Tyra Banks and a bucket of honey.

The things I'd do to her...