PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Contusions keep Ginobili on bench

carina_gino20
03-19-2006, 08:40 AM
Spurs notebook: Contusions keep Ginobili on bench

Web Posted: 03/19/2006 12:09 AM CST
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

HOUSTON — Yes, that was Spurs guard Manu Ginobili on the bench in his warmup suit during Saturday's game against the Houston Rockets at the Toyota Center.

No, he had not done anything between Friday night and Saturday evening that angered coach Gregg Popovich so much that Popovich refused to put him in the game.

Ginobili did not play because of contusions in both his left calf and left quadriceps, injuries suffered during the Spurs' 108-102 victory over the Phoenix Suns on Friday night at the AT&T Center.

"It is going to be all right," Ginobili said. "I think Tuesday, I can play."

The Spurs are to play the Golden State Warriors at the AT&T Center on Tuesday.

"He got clipped in the calf during the game last night," Popovich said. "I wasn't sure I was going to put him back in that game (Friday) night, but I figured he was loose enough then that he could do it. But overnight, it was just stiff, and his (quadriceps) is bothering him, too, so it's just better for him to sit out."

Last week, Popovich said he had been considering holding both Ginobili and Tim Duncan out of the second game of the Spurs' remaining back-to-back sets of games. Duncan, in particular, has struggled in the second games of such combos this season. Popovich said Ginobili would have played had he been healthy.

It was the 14th game Ginobili has missed this season because of a variety of injuries. He missed three games with a right ankle sprain suffered in practice before the Spurs' Jan.22 game against Denver, returning Jan.28. He had not missed a game since.

Backup point guard Beno Udrih started the game at Ginobili's shooting guard position.

The reason Ginobili was on the bench, instead of sitting behind it in street clothes: He had forgotten to bring a sport coat on the trip. He did not want to borrow one from a teammate because the only coats that would fit him clashed with his slacks and shirt. :lol He had to be officially designated as an active player to be dressed out for the game, but there was no way he was getting in.

The Spurs usually travel with a "community" sports coat for such occasions, but the coat did not make the trip to Houston, either.

You talking practice?: The Spurs have two days off before their next game. That will give them a chance to practice on Monday, but it will be one of the few such occasions for the remainder of the season. Other than one more two-day gap between games April1 and 4, the Spurs play every other day until season's end.

"There's really no practice time," Popovich said. "The only thing possible is that on some of those days in between games, you do some rehab on some players, or some of the guys who haven't played much will play one-on-one, or two-on-two. We may script some things without defense, but it's almost impossible to practice when you're playing as many games as we're going to be playing."

A million laughs: After Rockets mascot Clutch amused the crowd by using barber shears to cut a large swath in the hair of a supposed Spurs fan wearing a Tim Duncan jersey, 67-year-old referee Dick Bavetta picked up most of the shorn hair and put the locks in his pocket. During a timeout, he brought the hair to the press table and told Rockets broadcasters, "Keep this for me. I might need it later."

Bavetta, of course, is nearly totally bald. :lol ...ouch

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA031906.9C.BKNspurs.ginobili.73aec.html

angel_luv
03-19-2006, 09:41 AM
The reason Ginobili was on the bench, instead of sitting behind it in street clothes: He had forgotten to bring a sport coat on the trip. He did not want to borrow one from a teammate because the only coats that would fit him clashed with his slacks and shirt.

:lol Good stuff Gino.

Get better, would ya? :)

spurschick
03-19-2006, 09:56 AM
Hmmm... did his stellar fashion sense (:sarcasm) keep Marks from being able to suit up and possibly get some minutes, or is this just the story they're telling the press? I can't believe that Pop would deny Marks playing time just because Manu forgot to bring a sport coat.

weebo
03-19-2006, 12:42 PM
Couldn't have Manu just stayed in the locker room? Or is there some type of rule that prohibits that?

1Parker1
03-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Was the fashion police at the game?

slayermin
03-19-2006, 06:13 PM
I know Manu's contract is a bit below market value but he's a multi-millionaire. Couldn't he just buy a jacket?

T Park
03-19-2006, 06:15 PM
No kiddin, just go to Westheimer RD, they have loads of fancy big and tall coat shops.

Could've easily sent a lacky with his size to go buy one.

Something smells fishy.........

ALVAREZ6
03-19-2006, 06:23 PM
:lol