PDA

View Full Version : With Great Power...

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-20-2006, 03:37 PM
...comes great responsibility. Or more accurately with my only real power comes my only real responsibility. My biggest power in my little office is hiring folks, which means that giving them the axe is also in the job description. Well last week I posted this:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36523
(read item #2 on my list)

Upon talking it over with my supervisor it turns out that it is in fact illegal for the worker monkey in question to be working here. He wants to get her side of the story first and see if we can work something out but realistically it appears that my first big official act as the supervisor here is going to be firing someone.

What really surprised me is that my supervisor doesn't seem to want to know how I found this out or who else might know. The W.M. in question is a pretty chatty one so there's a good chance that everyone in the office was in on the knowledge and thus complicit in the coverup. Frankly I'd just as soon not know either. Proving they knew is impossible, and disciplining the entire office is just as tough. It's not like I can up and fire everyone or slash everyone's hours. My boss' bigger concern was that our office just got a voted a significant budget increase and that means more eyes looking over our shoulders too.

If there's any silver lining to this it's that I'm not going to shed any tears over losing this one. In addition to defrauding the state she's my least reliable employee.

Carie
03-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Ah yes, that was my favorite responsibility too. It's a good thing I didn't have my job to be well liked! Hope it goes well.

easjer
03-20-2006, 05:26 PM
Does it help that she's a Pistons fan?

Bishop, one of the problems is that we are a state institution and subject to additional outside auditing because of that. There are definitive lines about jobs and which jobs are student jobs. She is in a student job without being enrolled in classes, which means she's not a student.

Now it's unlikely that someone will raise this issue with the state, but they will have to account for her payment to the university's student fees committee, because SFIE's office is funded by student fees. The fact that she's been employed for over three months 'illegally' (read: in direct opposition to University policy) means that SFIE's office could lose funds, lose workers or even be closed for misappropriation of student fees.

Being an out of state student, I have serious doubts about her kids or medical bills. It's a low-paying, part time student job.

Your point is a fair one, but there are rules in place for a reason.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-20-2006, 05:27 PM
What if he or she had kids to feed or medical bills to pay and really needed the job you could be effecting other peoples lives by using what little power you have to exact justice.

Was she a cancer or a major problem.

If its not broke don't fix it.

Not to say you did anything wrong but in life there is always a much bigger picture than just what sits on the surface.

And for all I know any or all of that could be the case. And my supervisor and I are willing to do what we can to keep her if there are some extenuating circumstances, but we've got people to answer to as well. If someone high enough were to find out that we let this happen it could bring plenty of shit down on the heads of everyone in this office.

EDIT: Looks like my wife's on the ball today.

easjer
03-20-2006, 05:31 PM
And the auditors around here are strict. They got on us about my office's leave forms. Forms that were approved by the appropriate personnell. They were on us because they said we hadn't been providing sufficient explanation in the leave requests, and that perhaps the supervisors had been granting too much leave.

They are serious about their jobs.

Darrin
03-21-2006, 06:47 AM
Does it help that she's a Pistons fan?

You fired a Pistons fan?!? That's a discrimination lawsuit! :lol