PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili deals with latest pain

TMTTRIO
03-21-2006, 01:17 AM
Ginobili deals with latest pain

Web Posted: 03/21/2006 12:00 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
San Antonio Express-News

An elastic sleeve covering his left calf, his most recent contusion spot, Spurs guard Manu Ginobili returned to practice Monday afternoon.

Two days of rest did his bruised body some good. Thirty minutes of work, he hopes, will do his psyche even better.

"I'm in a moment where I need to practice, where I need to play," Ginobili said. "I want to play."
Ginobili is expected to do so tonight as the Spurs are home against Golden State. Although he will be re-evaluated today, he felt "pretty comfortable" after practicing Monday.

He also made it clear that, with only four weeks left in the regular season, he wants to play as much as possible to get ready for the playoffs.

"Every time I get my rhythm back," Ginobili said, "something happens."
Ginobili's latest setback came in Friday's victory over Phoenix. He bruised his left calf and left quadriceps — Shawn Marion also inadvertently opened a gash in Ginobili's mouth when Ginobili collided with the back of his head — but played the rest of the game.

Ginobili had planned to play Saturday in Houston but woke up sore enough that coach Gregg Popovich decided he would be better off sitting out.

"I didn't twist my ankle or anything that's hard to heal," Ginobili said. "But they add up. There have been many of these."

Before Friday, Ginobili had missed 13 games because of three injuries to his right foot. He joked that hurting his left leg will "probably help my balance."

The injuries have made it difficult for Ginobili to finish with his usual explosiveness. In a three-game stretch before Friday, he had made 9 of 29 shots.
Although Ginobili said he actually feels more confident with his perimeter shooting this season (he's made 37.1percent of his 3-point attempts, nearly identical to last season), he lacks similar faith when he penetrates. In the Spurs' March 12 victory over the Rockets, he drove down the lane and dunked in front of Yao Ming — then later joked it might have been his first dunk since the NBA Finals.

"When you have (injuries) like this, I think it hurts more your confidence," Ginobili said. "I'm trying to forget (about it), not listen to anybody and trying to overcome what's going on."
Ginobili said the season has been frustrating, though not as much as his rookie year. Then, he needed much of the first half to recover from an ankle sprain he suffered with Argentina in the World Championships.

"I was in a tough spot," Ginobili said. "I wanted to prove to everybody I could play here. To myself, too.

"Now, I know I belong."

The Spurs also know they will need Ginobili feeling as good as possible if they are going to defend their championship. Health is of more concern to the team than home-court advantage.

Last season, the Spurs yielded the Western Conference's top seed to Phoenix after Tim Duncan sprained his right ankle and missed 12 of the last 15 games. They went on to beat the Suns in the conference finals before winning their third title.

With Ginobili and Duncan slowed much of this season by injuries, the Spurs (52-14) have the NBA's second-best record. If they finish the final 16 games at 11-5 or better, they would set a franchise record for victories.

"It's been a tough season but I'm trying to do my best, help the team and reach the same goal," Ginobili said. "I don't care if I play way better than last season or worse. I just want to win."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

carina_gino20
03-21-2006, 03:15 AM
He joked that hurting his left leg will "probably help my balance."
:lol

The Spurs also know they will need Ginobili feeling as good as possible if they are going to defend their championship. Health is of more concern to the team than home-court advantage. :tu but still, it will be nice to know we have HCA at least over Detroit

T Park
03-21-2006, 07:02 AM
The guy will never be 100%.

At the end of this current deal, IMO, the Spurs wont resign him.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-21-2006, 07:10 AM
The guy will never be 100%.

At the end of this current deal, IMO, the Spurs wont resign him.
well obviously, the deal lasts until like 2011 or something right? at that point I think Manu should definately retire.

kalikot_boy_kr
03-21-2006, 07:16 AM
:spin manu 4 evah!!!!

WalterBenitez
03-21-2006, 08:22 AM
Manu's getting old ... I think he must follow Bruce routine to keep his body; Bruce even at his age is developing his game.

SouthernFried
03-21-2006, 08:34 AM
Guess this shows how his injuries have affected his game this year, I didn't even notice he didn't play against Houston...and he's my favorite player.

And the above poster is right on. Everyone should be following whatever Bowen is doing to keep his body in shape. The older you get, the harder you have to work to keep your body up. One area that the team should probably focus on more in off-season. Hire some serious conditioning guru.

Supergirl
03-21-2006, 09:51 AM
Manu's style of play demands that he be reckless with his body. That's what makes him so good. But it also will always make him vulnerable to injury.

Solid D
03-21-2006, 10:06 AM
Of the thousands of players and games I've witnessed over the years, I must say that Manu is a truly unique player and one of the most delightful to watch. I hope he can stay strong and resilient for many years. Kids learning the game, players at all levels, and just ordinary basketball fans can only gain from the experience.

The way that Tony Parker has increased his aggressiveness, people may be concerned about him too in a few years. Manu is not the only Spur that causes fans to mutter out of frustration, "I just wish someone would knock him down...he's killing us."

angel_luv
03-21-2006, 11:04 AM
Feel better Gino! :)

DarkReign
03-21-2006, 12:58 PM
The way that Tony Parker has increased his aggressiveness, people may be concerned about him too in a few years. Manu is not the only Spur that causes fans to mutter out of frustration, "I just wish someone would knock him down...he's killing us."

Absolutely true. If I were on the floor (and embarassing myself endlessly), I would throw an elbow on guards thinking they can hang in the trees. The painted area has a height requirement. Any and all who do not meet that requirement get elbows.

But seriously...you get my point.

boutons_
03-21-2006, 01:17 PM
Tony's already killed plenty of teams this year, more than Manu has. Just ask Mike d'.

virtual_9
03-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Manu's style of play demands that he be reckless with his body. That's what makes him so good. But it also will always make him vulnerable to injury.

A lot like Kevin Johnson was in the late 1980s...just to have a HOF career cut short by the beating he took in the lane.

But there's a BIG difference between the two - KJ didn't flop like Ginobili does.

If I were an opposing team's coach - and I saw Ginobili getting to the lines on should-be no-calls - I'd tell my team to start knocking him down. Nothing overboard, nothing intended to hurt him - but enough to make him earn a trip to the line, if the Refs are calling fouls anyway.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
03-21-2006, 01:35 PM
A lot like Kevin Johnson was in the late 1980s...just to have a HOF career cut short by the beating he took in the lane.

But there's a BIG difference between the two - KJ didn't flop like Ginobili does.

If I were an opposing team's coach - and I saw Ginobili getting to the lines on should-be no-calls - I'd tell my team to start knocking him down. Nothing overboard, nothing intended to hurt him - but enough to make him earn a trip to the line, if the Refs are calling fouls anyway.

:cry :cry :cry

Sportman
03-21-2006, 01:44 PM
Manu is going to be allright, he just had a little injury and as respects manu and K. Jhonson, there is another difference too, manu has two championships, while KJ doesnt have :rolleyes :rolleyes

Cant_Be_Faded
03-21-2006, 02:09 PM
Parker doesn't take spills as hard as Manu though

SouthernFried
03-21-2006, 02:38 PM
Manu is the most knocked-down player in the league. Flop or no...that guy gets hit by everyone.

mavsfan1000
03-21-2006, 04:30 PM
Parker is stronger and more durable than Manu.

nkdlunch
03-21-2006, 04:31 PM
everyone will be back to riding Manu's nuts after a few playoff games.

Obstructed_View
03-21-2006, 05:01 PM

But there's a BIG difference between the two - KJ is a fuckin' pussy.
Fixed.

Sec24Row7
03-21-2006, 05:09 PM
People who see manu flop to create offensive fouls on other teams, and the occasional perimeter flop need to start paying attention to him when he drives the lane.

The dude gets beat up more than anyone in the league aside from maybe Iverson in there and he just gets back up and runs down to the other side of the court.

He sacrifices his body ALL the damned time.

RobinsontoDuncan
03-21-2006, 05:48 PM
I wonder how inverson keeps in such good shape

nkdlunch
03-21-2006, 05:51 PM
I wonder how inverson keeps in such good shape

:lol

Sec24Row7
03-21-2006, 05:51 PM
He doesn't.

Lord knows how good an Iverson at 100% would be.

He might make 40% of his shots!