PDA

View Full Version : Getting paid for the best record?

caŽlo
03-21-2006, 11:23 AM
is this true? first time ive heard about this..

how much do they get paid?

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA032006.3D.spurs.5376527.html

Spurs: Horry heats up for stretch drive

Web Posted: 03/20/2006 12:20 AM CST
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

The Spurs had just seen the Houston Rockets trim a 13-point lead to seven entering the fourth quarter of Saturday's game at the Toyota Center. Back-to-back game fatigue was threatening to do in the Southwest Division leaders yet again.

advertisement

But springtime was little more than a day away, and for the Spurs, that means only one thing: wakeup time for Robert Horry.

After the Spurs' first possession of the fourth quarter resulted in a miss, Horry stole the ball from Houston's Dikembe Mutombo. Horry, a 14-year veteran, didn't wait for his teammates to get back to the offensive end. He dribbled to the left corner, behind the 3-point line, and launched a shot over the startled Mutombo.

"That's the only way I can get my shots off easy," Horry said, "by doing stuff like that."

And just like that, the Spurs had another double-digit lead, along with clear evidence the playoffs are only a month away, and that "Big Shot Rob" is getting primed.

"He's warming up," Tim Duncan said of Horry, one of the heroes of the Spurs' 2005 championship run. "He's like a diesel engine, and he's on the first step of warming it up."

Horry admits as much. Made aware that recent struggles by the Detroit Pistons had put the league's overall best record within reach, Horry made a mental note.

"I think it's time for me to remind some of these young guys that the league pays a bonus for best record," said Horry, 35. "Money's still a nice motivation, you know."

Horry's 12-point game Saturday was his first double-digit scoring performance since returning March2 after missing six games with a lower abdominal strain. He had totaled only 12 points in the previous five games, making only two 3-point shots. He made 2 of 5 long-distance attempts against the Rockets, including the shot over Mutombo.

"He's getting there," Duncan said. "You see him playing a little more focused and getting a little more ticked at himself when he makes mistakes and misses shots. You can see he's really starting to gear it up."

While Horry had hip realignment therapy over the final week of February to help correct his abdominal strain, the Spurs pondered signing Tim Thomas, another big man with 3-point range. Thomas, cut loose by the Chicago Bulls, opted to sign with the Phoenix Suns because Kurt Thomas' injury opened an immediate opportunity.

The Spurs were left to wait on Horry to prove his injury would improve to the point he could be himself down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Horry's play Saturday went a long way toward convincing them.

Even Spurs coach Gregg Popovich saw the playoff glint in Horry's eyes.

"Yeah," Popovich said, "Robert looked fairly interested tonight. His body listened to him, and he moved around well. That was impressive. He knows it's beginning, and he's got to get his rhythm and get his body ready. That's important for us."

boutons_
03-21-2006, 11:27 AM
As if Robert or any of these other multi-millionaires-set-for-life are motivated For A Few Dollars More.

ShoogarBear
03-21-2006, 11:29 AM
"Yeah," Popovich said, "Robert looked fairly interested tonight."

:lol Horry is the only player who Pop could say that about and mean it as a compliment.

Dunno about the amount of the bonus. I suspect it's just a drop in the bucket for these guys, since I've never heard that before either. Still good to see Horry pulling all the tricks out.

BigVee
03-21-2006, 11:31 AM
Not uncommon. In most professional sports you get extra for where you finish.

FromWayDowntown
03-21-2006, 11:48 AM
:lol Horry is the only player who Pop could say that about and mean it as a compliment.

I thought the same thing when I read that.

WalterBenitez
03-21-2006, 11:53 AM
a few coins for them it'll be great for me :D

missmyzte
03-21-2006, 01:48 PM
As if Robert or any of these other multi-millionaires-set-for-life are motivated For A Few Dollars More.
Considering he has a sick daughter to care for and knowing how much medical costs can be, I think it is good incentive.

boutons_
03-21-2006, 02:13 PM
From what I understand about the severity of her illness, her life-time care costs vastly more than any one time pro-forma NBA payment for best record.

IIRC, we had this discussion about league bonuses paid for Conf champs, Best record, NBA champs last year or so. The numbers were not impressive enough to be motivating. Sorta like a (thin) icing on their salary cake.

If there were serious bonuses, like 10% or 20% of annual salary, for :

1) best record

2) making the playoffs

3) conf champs

4) nba champs

... then we might see some serious basketball all season long, a fewer ballas padding their stats to the detriment of W - L records. Such peformance bonuses would certainly heat up the season after the ASB.

Spurologist
03-21-2006, 02:18 PM

If the spurs signed sprewell, pop would understand. Sprewell has to feed his children.

1Parker1
03-21-2006, 06:41 PM
Considering he has a sick daughter to care for and knowing how much medical costs can be, I think it is good incentive.

What's wrong with his daughter? How many kids does he have anyway?

thispego
03-21-2006, 06:45 PM
yeah, parker, kerr and whatserface got something like 40 g's for winning the shooting stars contest

boutons_
03-21-2006, 07:02 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/archives/nbafinals/2001.html

"but Horry has things to consider beyond money and championships. His wife and children live in Houston, and Horry's 7-year-old daughter, Ashlynn, requires special care. She has a congenital throat defect, an ailment Horry says, "has a long name I can't even spell." He knows running the household wears on his wife, Keva,"

yeahone
03-21-2006, 07:25 PM
well i hope the guys go for the bonus

missmyzte
03-21-2006, 08:30 PM
From what I understand about the severity of her illness, her life-time care costs vastly more than any one time pro-forma NBA payment for best record.
Exactly, which means he needs every bonus he can get.

http://www.sportingnews.com/archives/nbafinals/2001.html

"but Horry has things to consider beyond money and championships. His wife and children live in Houston, and Horry's 7-year-old daughter, Ashlynn, requires special care. She has a congenital throat defect, an ailment Horry says, "has a long name I can't even spell." He knows running the household wears on his wife, Keva,"
It's more than just a throat defect ...

http://www.roberthorry.net/articles-02.htm#061102
Ashlyn Horry cannot speak. She cannot walk. She cannot eat on her own and mostly is fed through a tube in her stomach.

There is no guarantee she will be able to ever function normally.

She was born without part of her first chromosome.

Horry knows the genetic defect has a name. But he can't relay it and frankly, he didn't think it was important to commit it to memory. But he and his wife have been told that Ashlyn has a neurological syndrome that mimics cerebral palsy. The Horrys' other child, Camron, 3, is perfectly healthy.

Ashlyn is now 11, turns 12 next month, and Camron is 7.

TDMVPDPOY
03-21-2006, 09:33 PM
Hey how does the sharing of the money is split when in the playoffs??

home team gets all the money, or are they split between the 2 teams, or teh winnin team gets the money and losin team gets no money, or whoever wins the game gets the money that nite?

SpursWoman
03-21-2006, 11:06 PM
FWIW:

The playoff pool, to be divided among players on teams that qualify for the postseason, will rise by $750,000 to $8.75 million this season. It will go to $8.875 million in 2003-04 and $9 million in 2004-05.

ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0208/1506023.html)

Have no idea what the split is, but I'd imagine the Champions get a bigger piece of the pie....

1Parker1
03-21-2006, 11:10 PM
Wow, I didn't know Horry's daughter had such a serious illness. Also, I didn't even realize he was married...I thought he and his wife split.

Well wishes to his daughter and family...that disease sounds really rough. :depressed

1Parker1
03-21-2006, 11:11 PM
FWIW:

ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0208/1506023.html)

Have no idea what the split is, but I'd imagine the Champions get a bigger piece of the pie....

:lol Do coaches also get pieces of that pie?

SpursWoman
03-21-2006, 11:13 PM
PLAYOFF BONUSES: Winning the NBA title will bring a bonus payment of about $100,000 to each member of the championship team.

The NBA said that the playoff pool for the 2000-01 season will be $7.5-million -- the same amount as last season. The players on the team that wins the title will get to divide $1,290,000 however they choose.

The losing team in the finals will get to divide $855,000.

Kind of dated info...but a little perspective.

link (http://www.sptimes.com/News/040301/Sports/Around_the_NBA.shtml)

ShoogarBear
03-21-2006, 11:19 PM
:lol Do coaches also get pieces of that pie?
Coaches, broadcasters, front-office people. The players vote to decide who gets shares.

TDMVPDPOY
03-21-2006, 11:47 PM
So ur sayin the playoff rounds are worth 7.5mill while the finals series is worth 1.29mill, so the one of the teams in teh finals gets a share of the 7.5mill if they make it to the finals and a share of 1.29mill if they win teh finals. Do the losers get anything? cose if you break it up there are 13guys on a team, if they win thats 1.3mill, so that leaves the losin team with nothin.

Kori Ellis
03-22-2006, 12:48 AM
There's a lump sum of money (lets say this year it's 10M) and that's the playoff pool. Each team that makes the playoffs gets a certain amount, each team that wins their division gets more, if you win conference you get more, if you have the best regular season record you get more, etc.

Then after each team has their amount playoff money, they split into shares and vote to see who gets how many shares. They can pay anybody they want who is associated with the organization a share, or a half share, or however many shares they want. The team can decide the players get none of it and give it all to their training staff, the mascot, or whatever. It's up to the team.

T Park
03-22-2006, 12:50 AM
Im sure Robert wouldn't mind a few extra 10 grand here and there.

Never hurts for the medical costs.

Kori Ellis
03-22-2006, 12:51 AM
Here's my post explaining it better when someone asked long ago.

There's a pool of playoff money for the entire league. (For example for the 2003 playoffs it was $8.75M).

Then there is a certain amount of money from the pool given to teams for regular season achievements (i.e. Best regular season record, Best regular season conference record, etc) and a post season achievements (i.e. making the playoffs, making the second round .... winning the title).

Then it's up to each team how to distribute the money they've received. Each player normal gets one 'share' but the players can vote to give a certain player more shares, they can also choose to give the ballboys, trainers, The Coyote or whatever a share or partial shares as well.

MI21
03-22-2006, 12:55 AM
Hmmm, I seem to recall something like that. I think people were asking on here if Malik would get a share for last seasons effort, considering he was a Spur for half of the regular season.

TDMVPDPOY
03-22-2006, 01:46 AM
what the hell is horry worried about? medical bills? the amount he has already accumulated in the nba is more than enough for him to retire on.

i wouldnt mind playin in the nba for one season on the league minimum or over 3-5year stint like sean marks. All u need is good financial planning and ur set for life.