PDA

View Full Version : Darrell Arthur: recruitment question...

JMarkJohns
03-22-2006, 02:58 PM
I know that 's a Big-12 lean, though to Kansas or Texas can be equally claimed depending on the board you visit. I do know that Arizona has been recruiting him for the past three years and, until recently, hasn't received much interest back.

However, in the last month, the rumors have been flying that Arthur now thinks so highly of Arizona, that he's going to try his best to come for an unofficial visit (he's got to pay himself, since he blew all five of his official visits already - two on Baylor and SMU :rolleyes - which makes the visit difficult).

He's a great looking player and fits Arizona's need and system. He'll be a huge get for whichever team lands him, but honestly, he could step in and play PF for Arizona next year, whereas at Kansas he'll have to split some big minutes with Wright/Kaun/Giles and at Texas with Aldridge/Tucker/Durant.

I know he wants to get to the NBA as quickly as possible. IMO, he's almost the same type of forward as Ndudi Ebi, though he's got more muscle.

Without the NBA rule of one year removed from High School, there were rumors he'd enter as a Prep...

Arizona offers big minutes with little frontcourt competition and has sent more players to the NBA since the 1990's than any school.

I guess what my question is, since this is Big-12 country, is there any relatively new information on his recruitment and on Arizona's involvement/chances specifically?

If so, thanks in advance. If not, no big deal.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-22-2006, 10:13 PM
I've heard recently that it's an A&M-Arizona fight, with the Wildcats as the team to beat.

JMarkJohns
03-23-2006, 12:03 AM
Has he visited A&M? It's going to be tough getting him to Tuscon. Reportedly, his family is low on money and he's out of "Get on to Campus Free" cards.

If he can't make it to UA and he's already visited A&M, unless Lute pulls a rabbit out of his hat, I would have to think A&M is in better shape.

You can't appreciate Tucson until you've been there. It's just not possible.

I'd love to have him, if even just for the year.

Thanks....

IcemanCometh
03-23-2006, 02:32 AM
except its down to Kansas and Villanova.

JMarkJohns
03-23-2006, 10:43 AM
According to Rivals, Villanova isn't even in it. This could be older information, but still. For such a good player with such an active recruitment, it doesn't make any sense not to include his new teams.

Apparently, Arthur went on official visits to Kansas (still the Rivals favorite), North Carolina, Indiana, Baylor and SMU. According to recent accounts, North Carolina and Indiana are completely out of it and Arizona and Texas have taken their place. No mention of A&M or Nova.

I understand A&M since they are a good team from an in-state School. If I'm to believe that he's still considering Baylor and SMU, then A&M certainly is a very reasonable option.

Arizona has Houston PG, Nic Wise, working on him hard and will have California POY and fellow Western McD AA, Chase Budinger, working on him all of next week.

If he can somehow combine his return trip from San Diego to Dallas with his unofficial visist, then the cost could be minimized and would come at a time when his Arizona gusto is in full effect.

JMarkJohns
03-27-2006, 10:01 AM
According to yesterday's Rival's article on Darrell, he's cut his list of possibles to Arizona, Baylor, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas.

According to the article, the favorites should be either Arizona or Oklahoma, mainly because he's already visited the other three and has had every opportunity to commit, but hasn't. Darrell told GOAZCATS.com that he's planning a trip to Tucson sometime before the Roundball Classic on April 9th.

Those in the know seems to think that if he makes it to Arizona, that it shows the extent of Darrell's interest in Arizona (Since he has to pay his own way) and that once he learns there's a starting role of 25 minutes or more for him in a up-and-down, NBA style, that Arizona should be considered the favorite.

Arthur has said he wants an up-tempo team that can offer him minutes immediately and is National Championship calibur.

IMO, that should eliminate Kansas, being that they play the slowed down, deliberate style on offense and also their frontcourt is very good.

I'm most afraid of Texas, simply because they have a history of getting highly ranked big-men. Arizona really does not.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-27-2006, 10:09 AM
He visited A&M last week, but didn't commit to the Ags. I have to think that he will commit on his visit to Arizona. He wants to start and get the PT, Billy won't guarantee him that at A&M (and I don't think he'd beat out Joseph Jones to start at the PF spot).

JMarkJohns
03-27-2006, 09:26 PM
For large stretches the Wildcats slid Radenovic to center and played 6-8, 200 pound freshman Marcus Williams at power forward. It shows Shows Arthur that they will be willing to slide Radenovic over and make room for a freshman of his talent.

PG: Shakur (sr.)
SG: McClellan (so.)
SF: Williams (so.)
PF: Arthur (fr.)
C: Radenovic (sr.)
Bench
PG: Wise (fr.)
SG: Dillon (jr.)
SF: Budinger (jr.)
Wing: Prince (so.)* transfer possibility
PF: Onobun (so.)
C: Tangara

With Breilmaur and the other walk-on as the 12th man

and Walters and Hill as redshirts.

I like it, so long as Shakur is the tournament Shakur (which he was about half the time) and McClellan is able to shoot from three.

JMarkJohns
04-01-2006, 06:54 PM
Arthur's UA visit has been delayed, as has his timetable for an announcement.

He's still planning on a UA visit, but it likely won't be until after the Roundball Classic.

No word as to why, but the fact he's moving his commit table back as well still shows interest. Maybe the money wasn't there just yet?

timvp
04-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Chase Budinger looks like a very solid prospect for AU. He'll probably stay there 2 or 3 years at least so his impact should be greater than Arthur's.

JMarkJohns
04-01-2006, 08:35 PM
UA is in pretty good on Gary Johnson of 2007. He's '06 UA commit Nic Wise's AAU teammate and a player for the senior Pastner.

I'd rather have him than Arthur, mainly because he's another 3/4 year player, unlike Arthur who would have likely went pro out of high school, had there not been the rule change.

The main reason Arizona needs Arthur is 2006. After that, I doubt either has plans for the other. But UA is short one good post player for a legit Title run in 2006 and that's where Arthur fits in.

There's talk that JP Prince could transfer (Lute demands too much effort, apparently) and that would free up an additional scholership for 2006 or 2007. If they get Arthur, they'll likely use it in 2007. If they don't, they may use both and raid the JUCO ranks for two quality bigs. Better to have nice depth, than nothing if one can't have great impact from one or two players.

They are in on a few JUCO bigs, but nothing is likely for a while.

Arthur is their main focus for 2006 and only 2006.

I hope he realizes the opportunity as he's being offered a starting role on a National Title contender which happens to have had more players drafted by the NBA than any school since 1990.

That doesn't come along often.

A wing rotation of McClellan, Williams and Budinger looks to be as talented a trio as has ever donned a UA uni. More potential than skill, but all three have All-Pac-10 potential NEXT YEAR.