PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs Are Back

timvp
03-23-2006, 02:15 AM
I liked what I saw from the Spurs tonight. Yeah they lost, but the effort in the third quarter was the best I've seen from this team in quite a while. The fourth quarter wasn't pretty, but I take a lot of positives from tonight's game.

1. Tim still has it. When he wants to, he can play. He has that bank shot and even attempted some nice post moves tonight. I'm confident he will not only get healthier down the stretch, I think he can play harder in the playoffs. He's been through this too many times to be dumb enough to burn up some fuel in a regular season game. Right now he has Robert Horry-itis.

2. Manu can flip the switch. Manu hasn't played well for a couple months, but when the crowd got on him, he took his game up a level. At that level is where I expect him to play in the playoffs. He was all over the place and hitting Playoff Manu shots. Hopefully he can get even healthier and be ready roll in the playoffs.

3. Parker seems like he's figured it out. He's in a tough position in that he's the point guard for most of the game, but then has to hand over the reigns to Manu and Tim in the fourth quarter. That's especially tough because he's not a natural spot up shooter. But I see him figuring it out. He's scoring off the break and is providing easy baskets with his speed. He's also figured out how he can score as the third wheel in the fourth quarter.

4. Bowen is better than ever. His defense is good. He gets away with a lot defensively -- like all great defenders. His offense is miles ahead of where it was even last year. He's peaking right before our eyes.

5. Horry has gas left in the tank. Much like Duncan, he limps around the court and doesn't show much energy. But in flashes, you can still see he as the athleticism that is needed. He's such a smart player that he could be effective without that athleticism, but with it he's deadly because he's deceptively a very gifted athlete.

6. Nazr is starting to learn the ropes. He's sloooowly becoming a better defender. He's doing a decent job rebounding. His face-up jumper is nice. He still has a bit to learn but he's a good minute eater in the playoffs.

7. Finley and Barry are playing well. Finley was a little off tonight, but he's been blazing since the All-Star break. Barry has been playing well since the trade deadline. Pop should be able to always have at least one of them playing well in the playoffs.

8. Beno is playing hard. You couldn't always say that about him last year. He didn't play overly well tonight, especially in the fourth quarter, but he's giving it his all. When Nick Van Exel gets back, it'll give Pop good options to go to behind Tony.

9. Pop is in his prime as a coach. He knows when to jump on players and the players still react to him. One day this might not be the case, but for now he's a top three coach in the league.

10. Experience. These Spurs know what they are doing. They know how to win. Yeah they may lose a few more regular season games, but they are damn savvy at this point. At full health, they beat anybody.

ShoogarBear
03-23-2006, 02:18 AM
They have to stop psyching themselves out of the B2B. That's their major problem. They start the game expecting to play badly.

valluco
03-23-2006, 02:19 AM
I agree. The 3rd was a great quarter for this team. I'm just glad noone got seriously injured with the way the Nugs were playing. That was one physical game.

valluco
03-23-2006, 02:19 AM
I agree. The 3rd was a great quarter for this team. I'm just glad noone got seriously injured with the way the Nugs were playing. That was one physical game.

valluco
03-23-2006, 02:20 AM
oops.

T Park
03-23-2006, 02:21 AM
He has that bank shot and even attempted some nice post moves tonight

Agree whole heartedly.

That spin move in the post tonight was 2003 Duncan.

If that shot goes down, youd see that replay on sportscenter for the overnight.

Nazr is starting to learn the ropes. He's sloooowly becoming a better defender. He's doing a decent job rebounding. His face-up jumper is nice. He still has a bit to learn but he's a good minute eater in the playoffs

aside from his turnovers tonight, he was the Nazr of last year's playoffs.

Good rotations under the basket.

Very physical, hit a sweet 12 footer with Duncan in the post.

Had a GREAT drop off to Duncan for a dunk that worked great last year VS Seattle Phoenix and the rarity Detroit.

Experience. These Spurs know what they are doing. They know how to win. Yeah they may lose a few more regular season games, but they are damn savvy at this point. At full health, they beat anybody.

If this game tonight was in say, Dallas, they win.

That third quarter was Spurs VS Phoenix.

Hard D, great passing and ball rotation, Ginobili being unstoppable, Anthony couldn't get SQUAT vs Bowen.

This game was more positive than negative.

T Park
03-23-2006, 02:23 AM
His offense is miles ahead of where it was even last year

Missed this the first time.

There was a three he nailed tonight with I think Anthony running at him, and a great banker in the 3rd that says to me, that when focused on it, he can score 8 to 10 a night.

He was vintage Bruce on D though, Anthony couldn't get an inch and the perfect play was the force to the baseline and out of bounds.

Thing of beauty.

timvp
03-23-2006, 02:23 AM
They have to stop psyching themselves out of the B2B. That's their major problem. They start the game expecting to play badly.

I'd rather them play cautiously and lose some B2Bs then be burned out for the playoffs. The Big Three has played a lot of basketball and if they came out with fire in every game, they won't make it to June.

I like looking at 2004 for perspective. The Spurs won like 32423234 games in a row to end the season and then going into the playoffs and then got slapped by the Lakers. I'd rather the team be healthy, rested and ready to go than to be streaking going into the playoffs.

Winston Wolf
03-23-2006, 02:24 AM
TimVp, you have any Prozac left?

T Park
03-23-2006, 02:31 AM
BTW, this thread reminds me of the thread TIMVP started after the blowout loss to the Mavericks.

Im encouraged even more :smokin

Big Worm
03-23-2006, 02:34 AM
BTW,
Im encouraged even more :smokin

Or until the Spurs are 2-2 to the Sonics patna!

polandprzem
03-23-2006, 02:46 AM
Good to hear they are back (to back).
Still 4 games in th March with one days rest after each game. And then we starts the April - the month where Pop wants to rest players and get into the rythm. It will be tough but can be done.
Now if Tim realy feels better, Horry is coming back from this all injuries and Manu as well... guys not bad. Just keep doing what you are doing. (Damn spurs must get younger in the summer).
So I realy looking forward for the next spurs adventures...

Ps Timvp can you put a spurs under Trainwreck name? He earn it in the spurs - hornets prediction. Thx.

SilverPlayer
03-23-2006, 02:52 AM
I thought we definelty saw flashes of the Ginobili and the Duncan who know how to take over a game at will tonight. If they can get back to that form back, they can ride it to the finals. Tonight's game was a good one.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-23-2006, 02:59 AM
1 quarter of good play is pointless unless you can sustain it for 48 minutes. 1 great quarter a game will not get youa championship, but you make some excellent points Timvp and manu has never looked this good all year. I just hope we have enough to beat detroit

kris
03-23-2006, 03:03 AM
I liked what I saw from the Spurs tonight. Yeah they lost, but the effort in the third quarter was the best I've seen from this team in quite a while. The fourth quarter wasn't pretty, but I take a lot of positives from tonight's game.

1. Tim still has it. When he wants to, he can play. He has that bank shot and even attempted some nice post moves tonight. I'm confident he will not only get healthier down the stretch, I think he can play harder in the playoffs. He's been through this too many times to be dumb enough to burn up some fuel in a regular season game. Right now he has Robert Horry-itis.

2. Manu can flip the switch. Manu hasn't played well for a couple months, but when the crowd got on him, he took his game up a level. At that level is where I expect him to play in the playoffs. He was all over the place and hitting Playoff Manu shots. Hopefully he can get even healthier and be ready roll in the playoffs.

3. Parker seems like he's figured it out. He's in a tough position in that he's the point guard for most of the game, but then has to hand over the reigns to Manu and Tim in the fourth quarter. That's especially tough because he's not a natural spot up shooter. But I see him figuring it out. He's scoring off the break and is providing easy baskets with his speed. He's also figured out how he can score as the third wheel in the fourth quarter.

4. Bowen is better than ever. His defense is good. He gets away with a lot defensively -- like all great defenders. His offense is miles ahead of where it was even last year. He's peaking right before our eyes.

5. Horry has gas left in the tank. Much like Duncan, he limps around the court and doesn't show much energy. But in flashes, you can still see he as the athleticism that is needed. He's such a smart player that he could be effective without that athleticism, but with it he's deadly because he's deceptively a very gifted athlete.

6. Nazr is starting to learn the ropes. He's sloooowly becoming a better defender. He's doing a decent job rebounding. His face-up jumper is nice. He still has a bit to learn but he's a good minute eater in the playoffs.

7. Finley and Barry are playing well. Finley was a little off tonight, but he's been blazing since the All-Star break. Barry has been playing well since the trade deadline. Pop should be able to always have at least one of them playing well in the playoffs.

8. Beno is playing hard. You couldn't always say that about him last year. He didn't play overly well tonight, especially in the fourth quarter, but he's giving it his all. When Nick Van Exel gets back, it'll give Pop good options to go to behind Tony.

9. Pop is in his prime as a coach. He knows when to jump on players and the players still react to him. One day this might not be the case, but for now he's a top three coach in the league.

10. Experience. These Spurs know what they are doing. They know how to win. Yeah they may lose a few more regular season games, but they are damn savvy at this point. At full health, they beat anybody.

I disagree with your optimistic points - mostly with Tim Duncan still having it. I think Pop and experience will make them hard to vanquish, but the title is theirs for the taking if the Pistons want it... and it's not too far fetched to think the Nuggets, Suns, or Mavericks could knock them off.

T Park
03-23-2006, 03:04 AM
Wanna backup why you disagree?

polandprzem
03-23-2006, 03:06 AM
:wow

58-27 in rebounds !!!

I just noticed that.
Unbelivable.

The spurs needs the rebounds and what is worrying me is the frontcourt. Rasho is not playing. Nazr is incosistent a lot. But the rebounding was what made it (the loss). And how can keep up the Nuggets who were 47% from the field?

Amuseddaysleeper
03-23-2006, 03:10 AM
my confidence in SA is at an all time high for the season as my pessimism has calmed down a lot lately thanks to big wins over dallas and phoenix. but Timvp, if Duncan's PF is still acting up (I think you overrated his play tonight) and our rebounding still leaves a lot to be desired as does our D a lot of the times lately, how do you think we can manage to beat detroit especially with games 6 & 7 in detroit. actually how do any of you guys think we can beat detroit, i'm not saying we cant, i am just saying its gonna be MUCH MUCH harder than last year with our injuries to TD and weak rebounding going up against a monster frontcourt whose backcourt isnt too shabby either!

T-Pain
03-23-2006, 03:11 AM

lets hope there here to stay

polandprzem
03-23-2006, 03:12 AM
"There are no excuses here," Ginobili said. "They wanted the game more than us. They were more aggressive than us and we made too many silly mistakes."

"Things just weren't going our way and we didn't make the right plays," Duncan said.

Typical comment after losses like that by Manu.
Looks like he is getting better. Good.

The spurs are playing Blazers, Sonics, Clips, Lakers on the road and theyb gonna win this. I'm tellin you that.

polandprzem
03-23-2006, 03:15 AM
my confidence in SA is at an all time high for the season as my pessimism has calmed down a lot lately thanks to big wins over dallas and phoenix. but Timvp, if Duncan's PF is still acting up (I think you overrated his play tonight) and our rebounding still leaves a lot to be desired as does our D a lot of the times lately, how do you think we can manage to beat detroit especially with games 6 & 7 in detroit. actually how do any of you guys think we can beat detroit, i'm not saying we cant, i am just saying its gonna be MUCH MUCH harder than last year with our injuries to TD and weak rebounding going up against a monster frontcourt whose backcourt isnt too shabby either!

Talking about the frontcourt you meant Timmy?
cause our front looks almost the same as last year and Nazr wasn't in spurs system that long and Rasho was not playing at all. Now he can get some minutes.

kris
03-23-2006, 03:16 AM
1. Duncan has hit an all time low. PF or not, he's out there and nowhere near what he used to be - even last year.

2. Turning it on for the playoffs is a difficult task. Sometimes the switch doesn't flip so easily, especially when your superstar can't jump.

3. Other teams are more hungry and play more aggressive. This year the Pistons thrashed them good and if the Spurs do make it to the finals, which I would be very impressed if they did, the Pistons are going to be out for revenge.

4. The rebounding disparity tonight made me think of how the Spurs aren't as good at defensive rebounding - again with Duncan not able to. Duncan used to get double doubles without sweating and now he doesn't get those extra rebounds he used to.

5. The big men are all suspect. Nazr has polished his offensive game, but he can't be depended on every game. I like his knack for offensive rebounds, but he also has a knack for getting stuffed and fumbling the ball. Rasho is a joke. Tim looks like he's going to come up lame.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-23-2006, 03:22 AM
1. Duncan has hit an all time low. PF or not, he's out there and nowhere near what he used to be - even last year.

2. Turning it on for the playoffs is a difficult task. Sometimes the switch doesn't flip so easily, especially when your superstar can't jump.

3. Other teams are more hungry and play more aggressive. This year the Pistons thrashed them good and if the Spurs do make it to the finals, which I would be very impressed if they did, the Pistons are going to be out for revenge.

4. The rebounding disparity tonight made me think of how the Spurs aren't as good at defensive rebounding - again with Duncan not able to. Duncan used to get double doubles without sweating and now he doesn't get those extra rebounds he used to.

5. The big men are all suspect. Nazr has polished his offensive game, but he can't be depended on every game. I like his knack for offensive rebounds, but he also has a knack for getting stuffed and fumbling the ball. Rasho is a joke. Tim looks like he's going to come up lame.

:tu :tu :tu

slayermin
03-23-2006, 04:03 AM
I'd rather them play cautiously and lose some B2Bs then be burned out for the playoffs. The Big Three has played a lot of basketball and if they came out with fire in every game, they won't make it to June.

I like looking at 2004 for perspective. The Spurs won like 32423234 games in a row to end the season and then going into the playoffs and then got slapped by the Lakers. I'd rather the team be healthy, rested and ready to go than to be streaking going into the playoffs.

Exactly what I was thinking about the loss.

The Heat had the Pistons tonite. If the Pistons play like that to end the season, the Spurs will get homecourt.

Gummi
03-23-2006, 04:46 AM
Don't forget the Nuggets might be the best rebounding team in the league after they got Reggie Evans. With Evans, Camby, and Martin they are a very good rebounding team and also they have a good rebounding PG and then Melo.

Hopefully the Spurs can get Scola for next season when Nazr leaves us.

leemajors
03-23-2006, 08:53 AM
I disagree with your optimistic points - mostly with Tim Duncan still having it. I think Pop and experience will make them hard to vanquish, but the title is theirs for the taking if the Pistons want it... and it's not too far fetched to think the Nuggets, Suns, or Mavericks could knock them off.

the nuggets have zero chance to knock the spurs off. 5 or 6 games at the most. the only reason they won this game was b2b. duncan finally got pissed in the 3rd and stepped it up, they just couldn't sustain it.

CubanMustGo
03-23-2006, 08:56 AM
Whether Denver is the best rebounding team or not, getting whipped by a margin of 58-27 is bullshit. Camby almost outrebounded the Spurs by himself. Shows a lack of effort/desire to me. Yeah they had one good quarter last night, but the first two sucked.

ploto
03-23-2006, 09:22 AM
aside from his turnovers tonight, he was the Nazr of last year's playoffs.

Good rotations under the basket.

Very physical, hit a sweet 12 footer with Duncan in the post.

So you like Camby getting 21 rebounds and Nazr getting 3? You like when his points= his fouls and his rebounds=his turnovers.

Solid D
03-23-2006, 09:27 AM
Those are some nice observations, timvp. I saw a lot of things in the 3rd quarter to be pleased, even optimistic, about. Ginobili, Tim, Tony and Bruce really did their best to get the Spurs back in the game.

I thought Pop made an error pulling out Bruce for more than a couple of minutes. When Finley scored his 3 FTs, and then Carmello started smelling blood, I think Pop gambled that Finley would bring offense. That didn't happen. I was also discouraged with the little mistakes the Spurs made after they had made the effort to draw within 1 point. They made several mental errors and the Nuggets imposed their will. The bench let the Spurs down and the Nuggets role players won this game, soundly outplaying the Spurs role players. Patterson, Buckner, Eisley, and Evans all played key roles in pivotal moments of the game.

I disagree with your optimistic points
This pretty much describes your role here lately.

101A
03-23-2006, 09:28 AM
Why will the Spurs beat Detroit? HOW can the Spurs beat Detroit? HOW can the Spurs get by those unstoppable Mavericks, Suns & Nuggets????

Oh my god, the HORRORRRR!!!

The Spurs have lost exactly ONE game in conference this year that wasn't a b2b. There is no way they lose 4 of those in a 7 game series!

Also, this team BEAT the Pistons (that team) last season - WITH Duncan playing sub-par on a bad wheel; without Finley, without Van Exel, with a useless Beno, AND without an All-Star point guard. There have been no significant changes to the Pistons other than, oh yeah, they lost the coach who had actually done something in the playoffs. By all indications, the Pistons peaked sometime in late January, early February - beating Miami is meaningless, any decent teams haven't lost to the Heat this season.

TIMVP is right on; the Spurs have been saving themselves for the REAL season all year, and despite that lackadaisacal attitude, still lead the West, and are on par for there best finish ever. Those of you who expected a win against a hungry Denver team, with three days rest after the Spurs just played a b2b were simply delusional. Hell, look what happened to the all-powerfull Detroit when they went Rocky Mountain high on a b2b!

Wake up and smell the dynasty Spurs fans. It's all good.

The giant is waking up; a repeat IS coming.

Extra Stout
03-23-2006, 09:58 AM
The flip side of the 5-9 B2B record is that the Spurs are 48-6 when they get at least one day of rest before a game.

But we all know it is. After every loss, the Spurs are doomed. After every win, nothing can stand in the way of a repeat. It's been this way forever.

I'm still concerned about the Pistons, because I'm sure their swoon was more a result of boredom than fatigue, and besides, when a "swoon" consists of going 15-8, it's a stretch to say they've "lost it." But none of that concern has anything to do with the Spurs. It has to do with how great I think the Pistons are. This constant freaking out after every loss just the standard silliness.

This is a team with a well-understood strategy of saving it for the playoffs. Their top priority is health. They could be six or seven games back of where they are now and they would be fine. Instead, they are the defending champions, with every team gunning for them every night, AND they are openly conserving their energy, and yet here they are at 53-15, on pace to finish two games better than any other Spurs team ever has.

Yet we have some people worrying about them losing to a Nuggets team which might not even have homecourt advantage in its first-round series against a 6 seed.

So very, very many of you are full of shit.

leemajors
03-23-2006, 10:01 AM
that better not be the guinness made in canada in your avatar ;(

1Parker1
03-23-2006, 10:41 AM
My only thing about this season is that I don't recall many games that were the come-from behind wins against good teams. I think those kinds of wins go a long way to stengthening a team.

Last year, we had that crazy Manu 48 pt win against Pheonix, then the two back to back OT wins on the road, without TD against the Clipps and GS which had won 10 straight. While I agree that the Nuggets game was a good "moral" victory for the Spurs...seeing as how they got the lead to one after being down by 18 at one point...I can't help but think that last year they would have somehow perservered and gotten the win.

101A
03-23-2006, 10:43 AM
My only thing about this season is that I don't recall many games that were the come-from behind wins against good teams. I think those kinds of wins go a long way to stengthening a team.

Last year, we had that crazy Manu 48 pt win against Pheonix, then the two back to back OT wins on the road, without TD against the Clipps and GS which had won 10 straight. While I agree that the Nuggets game was a good "moral" victory for the Spurs...seeing as how they got the lead to one after being down by 18 at one point...I can't help but think that last year they would have somehow perservered and gotten the win.

At Indy (not great, but something).

This team doesn't need "strengthening"; they already KNOW they can get it done. They ain't the Mavericks.

Hook Dem
03-23-2006, 10:55 AM

Bottom line? ....A man who knows his shit! :elephant

TDMVPDPOY
03-23-2006, 11:00 AM
I dont think we came into this nuggets game intensified, werent we on a 6 game winnin streak, it was doomed to end anyway. Remember that last suns game where we destroyed them on the boards, it was doom to happened to us.

Now we gotto put our heads back on and play like its april :D

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-23-2006, 11:18 AM
I think Timvp is on the money overall, as I've seen everything he's talking aboutin the last two weeks now that we're into daylight SPAMing time. But I'm amazed that you saw all of those things in last night's game, particularly for Nazr.

All in all, a good post to act as a stop sign for all the fans running for the nearest cliff.

boutons_
03-23-2006, 11:37 AM
It's all about winning. Spurs lost.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-23-2006, 12:24 PM
Nice post, Timvp. :tu

But when do we break out the vintage Believe?

Question.

:cooldevil

BigVee
03-23-2006, 12:50 PM
It's all about winning. Spurs lost.

True. But give me 16 playoff wins again, and I'll take the 7 losses.

SenorSpur
03-23-2006, 12:52 PM
Whether Denver is the best rebounding team or not, getting whipped by a margin of 58-27 is bullshit. Camby almost outrebounded the Spurs by himself. Shows a lack of effort/desire to me. Yeah they had one good quarter last night, but the first two sucked.

Aint that the truth. Anytime your team gets outrebounded by such a wide margin, it means two things:

1) The players shot terribly
2) The players got outhustled and "punked" on the glass.

There's no excuse.

austinfan
03-23-2006, 01:45 PM
Here are the things I think this team needs to be successful in the playoffs (in addition to what they've got going now):

1. A healthy Manu: Tim's PF isn't going away any time soon, but he showed last year that he could still dominate, even with two bad ankles, when he needed to. And he'll provide that again this year. That said, even with Tony playing at a whole new level this year, they still need Manu to give them the sudden runs and stops that kill the momentum of the other team and/or get us into a comfortable lead. So I was really happy to see his play last night. Really happy.

2. Better rebounding: This bothers me more than the Manu situation because it's a team-wide thing and it's been plaguing the Spurs all season, and it's the weakness that the Pistons will really massacre us with if we don't get it into shape in April.

3. Robert Horry: No explanation needed. :)

But yeah, did anyone expect the Spurs to go for the next 15 games or whatever without a loss? I don't see the Denver game as a sign that the sky is falling for the Spurs organization.

SAGambler
03-23-2006, 02:00 PM
Exactly what I was thinking about the loss.

The Heat had the Pistons tonite. If the Pistons play like that to end the season, the Spurs will get homecourt.

If Zo doesn't get hurt early, Miami slam dunks Detroit. And apparently that wrist injury from Tuesday night was really bothering Flash. His productivity was way below normal.

leemajors
03-23-2006, 02:06 PM
i'm really interested to see detroit/dallas now...

Duncanfan
03-23-2006, 02:16 PM
i'm really interested to see detroit/dallas now...

Wouldn't be too excited if were you... Dallas is without Howard, Harris, Van Horn and Griffin. Homers and Non biased Spurs fans alike know that those 4 are the reason behind the Mavs success this year so if they face Detroit without those 4 on Tuesday, they will be in a world of hurt.
Everyone knows that the Spurs and Pistons are a notch above the Mavs but they just aren't the same team without those 4.

BigVee
03-23-2006, 02:26 PM
However, though on the road, the Mavs will have 2 days rest after playing Atlanta, where the Pistons will have one days rest after playing NJ.

CubanMustGo
03-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Re Mavs injuries:

Van Horn eyeing road trip: Van Horn, out since March 3 with a sprained left knee, said he's hoping to see game action on the upcoming four-game road trip.

Van Horn practiced Wednesday, saying he felt tentative with the knee.

"But the pain has gone down a lot the last couple of days," he said. "I feel good about some of the upcoming games and getting back into action. I'm feeling pretty good about the games on that trip."

Van Horn will be the first of the four injured players to filter back into uniform. The game plan then is to bring Griffin back, followed by Howard and Harris.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/032306dnspomavslede.d637d24.html

leemajors
03-23-2006, 02:50 PM
Wouldn't be too excited if were you... Dallas is without Howard, Harris, Van Horn and Griffin. Homers and Non biased Spurs fans alike know that those 4 are the reason behind the Mavs success this year so if they face Detroit without those 4 on Tuesday, they will be in a world of hurt.
Everyone knows that the Spurs and Pistons are a notch above the Mavs but they just aren't the same team without those 4.

i just wanna see what detroit brings in this game. if they bring the effort they brought in the first half last night they will be looking at more than an 8 point deficit.

Peter
03-23-2006, 06:10 PM
I agree in principle, but the team I've seen this season is not a lock to drop the Pistons in a seven game series.

The frontcourt play continues to be anemic. They were outrebounded by the Nuggets by 31. Sure, that's not the be and end all of winning, but that's not encouraging, especially in light of their two performances versus Det this season.

Looking back at last season's Finals, the Spurs won the rebounding battle in 4 games and won 3 of those. In the 3 games they did not, they lost 2 of those.

I guess we should take comfort in knowing that Pop will likely roll with a 8 or 9 man rotation against Detroit again and Nesterovic will be sitting again.

It was good to see the team come back and take the lead in the 2nd half.

I'm not worried about the Nuggets, Suns, Mavs or anyone else. Against those I find myself in agreement with timvp. The Spurs will take any of those pretenders out in a seven game series. But Detroit is not a pretender. Maybe we can take some solace in the fact that lil' Flip is now their coach.

Peter
03-23-2006, 06:32 PM
One other thing, Anthony put up 32 on 23 shot attempts and Nanny Raper got 17 of his own. The 4th foul on Bowen was significant, but I'm not sure if I would say that Bowen had a great showing. The lack of size at the 3 was an issue last night.

leemajors
03-23-2006, 06:44 PM
bowen was contesting every shot, i figured it would be a long night for him after those first 3 near 3 point line 2's melo hit. they seemed to corral him during the 3rd better... if a player like that is feeling it all you can do is try and stay on him. i didn't think it was bad defense, just a good shooter feeling it.

(excessive comma edit)

HB22inSA
03-23-2006, 06:47 PM

:lmao

Peter
03-23-2006, 06:47 PM
Makes one kinda wish that the Spurs had GRobinson at the end of that bench. For whatever reason, he seemed to frustrate Anthony last season.

ShoogarBear
03-23-2006, 06:59 PM
bowen was contesting every shot, i figured it would be a long night for him after those first 3 near 3 point line 2's melo hit. they seemed to corral him during the 3rd better... if a player like that is feeling it all you can do is try and stay on him. i didn't think it was bad defense, just a good shooter feeling it.

(excessive comma edit)

Yeah, you can't judge defense for one game by stats. You can play great defense and the guy will still hit his shots. Or you can play mediocre defense and the guy will just miss open shots. You have to watch the game.

Bowen wasn't playing his A+ defense, but Melo was just dominant.

smeagol
03-23-2006, 07:00 PM
I fail to see the humor in LJ's post.

Kori Ellis
03-23-2006, 07:01 PM
Bowen wasn't playing his A+ defense, but Melo was just dominate.

ShoogarBear
03-23-2006, 07:03 PM

That's what I said. Why you tryin' to make me look bad?

:angel

smeagol
03-23-2006, 07:07 PM
Nice post, Timvp. :tu

But when do we break out the vintage Believe?

Question.

:cooldevil
I remember last year when we went 2 and 2 against SEA and Kori started a vbookie thread about the final outcome of the series. I bet $30,000 ( a lot of dough at the time) at the time which made a surprised timvp sya something like "Smeagol just bet $30 K on the Spurs going 4 - 2. Believe!"

By the way, that was the bet that started me on the way to becoming a billionaire!

Peter
03-23-2006, 07:21 PM
The key player this offseason will be Mohammed. How does one say "Believe" in Arabic?

Solid D
03-23-2006, 07:25 PM
The key player this offseason will be Mohammed. How does one say "Believe" in Arabic?

I guess in English, he would say "shuffle shuffle...Believe...bobble pumpfake"

T Park
03-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Mohammed spurred the comeback in the 3rd....

A fresh Mohammed gets 10 and 10 against Denver last night.

T Park
03-23-2006, 07:31 PM
HB22inSA.

How about some intelligent retorts for once, instead of acting like a chump.

cs100
03-23-2006, 07:44 PM
good post timvp.

Isn't it amazing that Denver had about 30 rebounds more than us but only won by 12 points? I can guarantee the Spurs will have the intensity at rebounding when the playoffs come around. It is not a matter of turning it on and off. They know what they have to do to win a championship and they will do it.

The thin air in Denver played a part in the poor start last night. The Spurs were not the aggressor until the second half. Tim Duncan showed that he can perform b2b. He may have had only 6 rebounds, but he had TWICE as many as any other Spur. He is getting there.

I think Tony made a few mental mistakes in the 4th quarter, like not getting the ball to the hot hand (Manu) and trying to do it on his own. But he is only 23 and learns quickly.

Solid D
03-23-2006, 07:51 PM
Mohammed spurred the comeback in the 3rd....

He did? He made a jumper to start the 3rd, to get the deficit to 12 and he got a couple of rebounds, but then Denver's lead went back up to 13 again. Parker and Gino did most of the "spurring" during the comeback.

It's true Mohammed came in, played 1 minute, then got poked in the eye and tied the score with 2 FTs then went back out. I wouldn't really call that spurring a comeback, though.

ShoogarBear
03-23-2006, 07:53 PM
I guess in English, he would say "shuffle shuffle...Believe...bobble pumpfake"

SequSpur
03-23-2006, 08:00 PM
Great, a moral victory thread against the fukin Nuggets.

Are we at a new level?

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
03-23-2006, 09:31 PM
If Zo doesn't get hurt early, Miami slam dunks Detroit. And apparently that wrist injury from Tuesday night was really bothering Flash. His productivity was way below normal.

We're playing the "IF" game now? Sweet...

If Ben Wallace had an offensive game like KGs, Detroit slam dunks the league...

angel_luv
03-23-2006, 09:35 PM
:tu L.J.

I Believe.

ploto
03-23-2006, 10:11 PM
Give me a break. He played 24 minutes against Golden State after 2 days off. MANU spurred the comeback.