PDA

View Full Version : What the Spurs need for the playoffs...

MoSpur
03-23-2006, 10:04 AM
They need a Karl Malone. Someone who is not going to take a poke in the eye and look for the refs to do something about. Someone who is not going to let the opposing team beat up Manu and get away with it. Someone who is going to have the "eye for an eye" mentality. Another words, someone who has some has a backbone.

Denver bullied the Spurs and the Spurs didn't do anything back. That is crap. The Spurs looked like a bunch of girls out there last night.

WalterBenitez
03-23-2006, 10:07 AM
They need a Karl Malone. Someone who is not going to take a poke in the eye and look for the refs to do something about. Someone who is not going to let the opposing team beat up Manu and get away with it. Someone who is going to have the "eye for an eye" mentality. Another words, someone who has some has a backbone.

Denver bullied the Spurs and the Spurs didn't do anything back. That is crap. The Spurs looked like a bunch of girls out there last night.

In your line of opinion .. I'd prefer Shaq ... You know after sombody hit on Wade, the next you will be welcomed by Shaq ...

Anyway for playoffs we don't need nothing like that, only improve our defense that this wasn't as good as the previous season.

CosmicCowboy
03-23-2006, 10:09 AM
http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/images/I16266-2005Jan17

Rasho is our enforcer...

:lmao

SenorSpur
03-23-2006, 10:10 AM
Agreed. They did allow the Nuggets to "push them around" last night. They were more physical and really "took it to the Spurs" in every way.

I have to admit I would love it if just once the Spurs would exact some "hard fouls" on opposing players when they drive the lane. Obviously, the objective is winning the game and I know Pop doesn't prefer those tactics, but you cannot simply let anyone "punk" you and gain confidence in thinking they can beat you and beat you up at the same time.

MoSpur
03-23-2006, 10:13 AM
The Spurs need someone who is going to stand up to someone like Kenyon and punks like that. I hate the fact that the Spurs just take it. They complain, but don't do anything.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-23-2006, 10:15 AM
I think people are riding the physical aspect of last night's game a little too hard. I think they got pushed around because they were tired, as per their usual b2b performance. The Sonics last year were far more thugariffic than the Nuggets this year, and the Spurs were able to handle that well enough. It wasn't much fun to watch, but it's about what I secretly expected to happen.

easjer
03-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Yeah, because more thug-like behavior is exactly what the NBA needs. Because the point shouldn't be basketball. The point should be taking things personally and going out of the way to hurt people if you think they got away with something. That is precisely what this game is lacking.

:rolleyes

leemajors
03-23-2006, 10:30 AM
We Need Danny Fortson!

TDMVPDPOY
03-23-2006, 10:48 AM
Wheres tony massenburg when u need him :D

Seriously we dont need an enforcer, we need guyz to hit there open shots and rebound.

nkdlunch
03-23-2006, 10:57 AM
they need an loser asshole on the team? no thanks

MoSpur
03-23-2006, 11:40 AM
I am not saying for the Spurs to go out and get a thug. They just need to find their spines and hit back. Not in a ghetto type of way. Not in some criminal way. Just let other teams know that they aren't going to take the type of crap they took last night. Seriously, the Nuggets took it to them and the Spurs backed down. I don't want to hear that "back to back" excuse.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-23-2006, 11:42 AM
The best revenge is hitting your shots, not the other guys. That's how they won last year.

JamStone
03-23-2006, 11:48 AM
Mike Tyson is a free agent. He'll bite an ear off someone.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-23-2006, 11:49 AM
He could give Horry some pointers.

MoSpur
03-23-2006, 11:54 AM
I agree with you Spurs fan in exile. However, they need to stop acting like girls at times.

tekdragon
03-23-2006, 11:58 AM
I am not saying for the Spurs to go out and get a thug. They just need to find their spines and hit back. Not in a ghetto type of way. Not in some criminal way. Just let other teams know that they aren't going to take the type of crap they took last night. Seriously, the Nuggets took it to them and the Spurs backed down. I don't want to hear that "back to back" excuse.

Exactly. Not a thug.

A Kevin Willis.

polandprzem
03-23-2006, 12:00 PM
Is Kareem available?

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-23-2006, 12:02 PM
Kareem was a lightweight. That's why the Lakers had Kermit.

SpursStillTippin
03-23-2006, 12:33 PM
Yea i agree. Ive been a spurs fan since i can remember and we never had anyone like that and we still won titles. But I was honestly sitting staring at my TV last night and wondering if they even cared. I mean if i get pushed im pushing back if i get elbowed im elbowing back. Although after every hard foul Manu and Parker STILL attacked the rim with no fear so they are doing their part, its our bigs that need to man up and shut down the lane, get a tech if you have too man the playoffs are coming lets grow some!!!!!!!

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-23-2006, 12:37 PM
I'd be lying if I said I didn't sometimes wish for that. The conclusion I usually come to is that doing that would prompt the refs to feel like they need to "get control" of the game and turn it into a free throw contest, which is terrible news for the Spurs and woud make the games boring and unwatchable.

MoSpur
03-23-2006, 12:56 PM
Kevin Willis was the man. He didn't take any crap. The Spurs are missing that type. Can they win a championship without this type of player? Yes. However, I think it would give the Spurs some type of edge.

boutons_
03-23-2006, 01:02 PM
The Top10 Things the Spurs need for the playoffs is for Tim's PF to go away.

The Spurs don't play physical basketball, they don't bang and clobber, and they don't scare anybody. That's not Pop's style of play.

Kevin Willis and Tony Massenburg played so few minutes that they had no impact on the Spurs image or results.

pache100
03-23-2006, 01:17 PM
Exactly. Not a thug.

A Kevin Willis.

Or a Glen Robinson. (There's actually been a long line of them...Danny Ferry, Will Purdue...Mario Elle was known to shake a few trees in his days with the Spurs, too. They need a quiet rumbler.)

pache100
03-23-2006, 01:18 PM
The Top10 Things the Spurs need for the playoffs is for Tim's PF to go away.

The Spurs don't play physical basketball, they don't bang and clobber, and they don't scare anybody. That's not Pop's style of play.

Kevin Willis and Tony Massenburg played so few minutes that they had no impact on the Spurs image or results.

See? It was so subtle you didn't even realize it was happening. They served their purpose and were very good at what they did. Got 'er done. I would not be at all surprised (after Pop's little episode the other night) to see someone like introduced to the roster. Soon.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-23-2006, 01:59 PM
What the Spurs need against the Pistons

1) REBOUNDING

I know we did pretty solid rebounding last year in the finals but i highly highly doubt the pistons will let themselves get in a 2-0 hole that they got in from lack of rebounding and TD outrebounding both wallaces combined. This year the pistons are out for blood and if we dont rebound like our lives depended on it we'll lose this series in 5 easily

2) Manu Ginobili playing like he did last night

One of the biggest reasons we won the entire thing last year, if not the biggest, was Manu playing at his absolute peak. He raised his game in every aspect and simply took over. I LOVED what i saw from manu last night, I only hope it wasnt a fluke and he continues that way through the playoffs.

3) Tony Parker

He's playing great but I still say you take away his penetration and he's pretty much useless. Yeah his jumper has improved but I wouldn't call him a perimeter player by any means. There is no team in the league that can do a better job of keeping TP out of the lane than Detroit. TP will always do great to start the game against detroit and then 5 minutes into the first quarter they shut him down.

4) Tim Duncan's PF

I know I know, Tim had 2 bum ankles and we still beat them, but unfortunately this year's pistons team IS better than last year. not only that, but this team is DYING to beat the spurs and has much greater motivation than we do after last year. If Tim isn't at least 80% healthy, their frontline will annihilate ours. I dont care what happend last year, the pistons frontcourt is still much much better than ours right now.

I'm not saying we arent gonna win it all, but its gonna be much much tougher than last year. that fantastic 2-0 we had in last year's series I doubt will happen again. we HAVE to get a split in the 1st 2 games in detroit or else we'll be in huge huge trouble being down 2-3 and heading to game 6&7 in detroit

leemajors
03-23-2006, 02:01 PM
we need to make sure and get TO the pistons first.

boutons_
03-23-2006, 02:12 PM
"you didn't even realize it was happening"

Nothing happened. Those 2 guys had NO IMPACT as enforcers for the Spurs.
Danny Fortson's foul-a-minute thuggery helps the Sonics not one bit.

One guy isn't going to change anything. If a team wants to play rough and tumble, then everybody has to play that style, not one guy off the deep bench.

Tony and Manu aren't intimidated by getting knocked down.

The worst intimidation is that of PF to Tim's game.
He's playing timid, esp on defense, that won't be enough.

MoSpur
03-23-2006, 02:23 PM
I think we all know that Tim isn't playing as his usual self because of the injury, but the fact remains that the Spurs need to play like they have a pair. Getting up after getting knocked down is great. That's what they are suppose to do, but they need to hand some of that same stuff back.

pache100
03-23-2006, 02:26 PM
"you didn't even realize it was happening"

Nothing happened. Those 2 guys had NO IMPACT as enforcers for the Spurs.
Danny Fortson's foul-a-minute thuggery helps the Sonics not one bit.

One guy isn't going to change anything. If a team wants to play rough and tumble, then everybody has to play that style, not one guy off the deep bench.

Tony and Manu aren't intimidated by getting knocked down.

The worst intimidation is that of PF to Tim's game.
He's playing timid, esp on defense, that won't be enough.

I get that you don't understand what "those 2 guys" contributed to the Spurs game...but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Sometimes a single guy, a single PLAY (sometimes just a LOOK) can turn a game. And it did, many times. If you had seen Pop conferring with Danny, Will, Glen, Mario, Terry Porter, Kevin, etc., and that little subtle head-nod, they'd run onto the court, do their thing and be changed out on the next opportunity and back on the bench before most people even noticed. But their point was made. The momentum of the game would change. Sometimes it made a difference in who won the game, but that wasn't always the point. They did, indeed make an impact.

I agree that not much intimidates Tony or Manu. I don't agree with you about Tim. I've seen that old fire in his eyes several times in the last 4 or 5 games. When I see that fire, Tim's not tentative...he's not thinking about his feet at all.

boutons_
03-23-2006, 03:28 PM
"When I see that fire, Tim's not tentative...he's not thinking about his feet at all."

Tim got 6 RB in 36 min vs Nuggets. Fire or no fire or whatever the fuck he's thinking about, that's not Tim.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-23-2006, 03:30 PM
"When I see that fire, Tim's not tentative...he's not thinking about his feet at all."

Tim got 6 RB in 36 min vs Nuggets. Fire or no fire or whatever the fuck he's thinking about, that's not Tim.

yeah if tim doesnt play at least twice as good as now we are absolutely fucked for the playoffs. he hit some outside jumpers which is great but a lot of people are vastly overrating his play from last night

MoSpur
03-23-2006, 03:37 PM
The thing is that the only way to provide some healing to his feet is rest. However, he is going to fight through some pain more than once come playoff time. I liked his fierce attitude against the Warriors, but that was Golden State. He needs that same kind of attitude when he faces teams like Denver and such.

Bruno
03-23-2006, 03:40 PM
The thing is that the only way to provide some healing to his feet is rest.

False, his foot needs time, not rest to heal.

Jimcs50
03-23-2006, 04:51 PM
All they need in the playoffs is a day off between games.

tlongII
03-23-2006, 04:52 PM
They need a LOT of luck!

newbiefan
03-23-2006, 05:28 PM
"The thing is that the only way to provide some healing to his feet is rest. However, he is going to fight through some pain more than once come playoff time. "I liked his fierce attitude against the

newbiefan
03-23-2006, 05:29 PM
The thing is that the only way to provide some healing to his feet is rest. However, he is going to fight through some pain.

SpursStillTippin
03-23-2006, 05:35 PM
Everyone in here needs to calm down. Spurs, with injuries all year and not playing their best ball are on their way to their best record EVER. Spurs are doing what they have done for years now and thats sleep their way in the reg. season and flip the switch in the playoffs. I too loved what i saw from Manu last night, that guy attacked the rin with no fear. Duncan looked impressive as well. Its those physical teams that give the spurs problems in the playoffs. Does anyone else miss Mario Ellie about now?

ALVAREZ6
03-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Wheres tony massenburg when u need him :D

:tu
Man I've been saying that for a while, that's exactly what we need.

A younger Kevin Willis would be badass.

MoSpur
03-23-2006, 05:45 PM
Karl Malone is out there. I would love to see him on our playoff roster to give someone like Andre Miller a forearm to the chest when driving in or Shaw Marion.

ambchang
03-23-2006, 05:49 PM
I would have thought the answer was health, sharp outside shooting, and focus on defense. Boy, was I wrong.

MoSpur
03-23-2006, 05:54 PM
They need all those things you mentioned, but having a guy on your squad who isn't scared to lay someone out isn't bad.

SpursStillTippin
03-23-2006, 06:47 PM
Ok we i guess all agree that the Spurs need a Mario Ellie Kevin Willis Masenburg type enforcer. And NO Rasho isnt an enforcer by any means. Anyone know if there are any players of that sort we could add to our playoff roster. i know some people might think its overreacting to this nugget loss but it might be an eye opener that we need to address. better to address it now then when we are down 3-2 in a tight series. Anyone know of any players out there????

Peter
03-23-2006, 06:49 PM
Yes, the Spurs could use a more physical presence playing opposite Duncan. You give some of that up, of course, with Horry's savvy and clutchness in the rotation. Nazr's gotta perform in the postseason for the Spurs to be able to repeat.

smeagol
03-23-2006, 06:58 PM
The Spurs won it all last year without a physical presence (Robinson did not play enough minutes to be a presence on the physical end).

It's BS they need it to win this year. All they need is Manu and TD to gain last year's playoff form. That is all.

SpursStillTippin
03-23-2006, 07:07 PM
well i know we won it all last year without physical play but last year bout this time we werent as injured and we were playing alot better then we are now. You say we won it last year but we came REAL close to dropping that series to the Sonics who are guess what? a physical team. and we also lost that 1st game to the Nuggets who are guess what? a physical team. So we had 2 tough tight series that we won while playing some Great ball and being healthy. well guess what we dont have that atleast at this point this year

SpursStillTippin
03-23-2006, 07:14 PM
By the way did anyone else lose a little confidence in Beno's development last night? You know when A.Miller dropped like 6 straight pts on him and he went down on the other end and threw up an off balance 3 that hit the side of the backboard? I know Pop did cause as soon as that ball hit the backboard i saw Pop all to T.Parker and got him in the game. This is what we got Van Excel for. but i know he is injured. Better rest up Nick looks like were gonna need you

Peter
03-23-2006, 07:24 PM
The Spurs won it all last year without a physical presence (Robinson did not play enough minutes to be a presence on the physical end).

It's BS they need it to win this year. All they need is Manu and TD to gain last year's playoff form. That is all.

They needed a physical presence so much that Pop didn't even bother with Rasho in the rotation at the start of the series.

T Park
03-23-2006, 07:25 PM
a lot of people are vastly overrating his play from last night

??

You missed the spins in the lane and the more fluid movement last night?!!?

Guess so....

T Park
03-23-2006, 07:26 PM
By the way did anyone else lose a little confidence in Beno's development last night? You know when A.Miller dropped like 6 straight pts on him and he went down on the other end and threw up an off balance 3 that hit the side of the backboard

Uh oh, the Beno lovers are gonna lambast you..................

Last night's game needed a Van Exel no question...

Peter
03-23-2006, 07:28 PM
NVE gives you another creator (along with TP and Manu). Pop tried to get TD involved in order to open things up for everyone else but Denver did a decent job at D-ing him up while protecting the paint in crunch time.

T Park
03-23-2006, 07:36 PM
I gaurantee you Van Exel would've bagged some 3's in crunch time last night.

Pray that the elbow heals.

leemajors
03-23-2006, 07:39 PM
well i know we won it all last year without physical play but last year bout this time we werent as injured and we were playing alot better then we are now. You say we won it last year but we came REAL close to dropping that series to the Sonics who are guess what? a physical team. and we also lost that 1st game to the Nuggets who are guess what? a physical team. So we had 2 tough tight series that we won while playing some Great ball and being healthy. well guess what we dont have that atleast at this point this year

we have a better record at this time this year than last. i wouldn't say we were playing a lot better. differently, but not better. as a matter of fact last year we dropped 3 in a row from march 20-23 to the pistons, knicks and pacers.

aaronstampler
03-23-2006, 07:48 PM
One of the reasons I love the Spurs is because we play basketball and don't stupid goon shit. We get our revenge on the scoreboard. The Nuggets or Sonics or whoever can pull all the shit they want, that's what the refs are there for, to throw them out of the game. Nobody on our team is scared or intimidated or anything. The only guy that stops going to the hole after he gets knocked down repeatedly is TP, because he's small. But Manu doesn't give a shit. As long as he can play, he'll play the same way in the playoffs.

SpursStillTippin
03-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Lets all take a breath and get ready for our next game against the Blazers. It was a loss and a tough one but there were some good things to look at like Manu taking last years playoff form back. That was a comforting site, as well as Duncan playing great. This years title run will be a dogfight no doubt, but lets win as many games as we can and get as much rest as we can and gear up for the 2006 NBA Playoffs which will be one of the best in recent years. Relax the Spurs have done this before. Go Spurs Go!!

cherylsteele
03-23-2006, 08:55 PM
I gaurantee you Van Exel would've bagged some 3's in crunch time last night.

Pray that the elbow heals.

Nobody played well last night except for Manu.....Tim was okay. Beno had ZERO turnovers last night....he makes no TO's and people still find fault......you are one of those that have complained about his turnovers but aren't satisfied when he has none. He had almost as many assists as TP (6-5)...his not scoring not why we lost......it was the lack of rebounding overall team effort from the get-go.

NVE hasn't done nearly as much as Beno has this year. NVE has been poor at best when we needed him.

NVE is painfully slower than he needs to be....you think Beno is slow...NVE is no longer the "quick".

In similar minutes per game....Beno's offensive number are very similar to NVE.