PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Kemp puts down fork

j-6
03-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Child support must be overdue again....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2380701

Shawn Kemp eyes comeback, says he's slimmer
Associated Press

HOUSTON -- Former Seattle SuperSonic and Orlando Magic player Shawn Kemp says he's ready to get back in the game after three years of retirement from the NBA.

Kemp, 36, retired voluntarily from the Magic in 2003, citing weight issues. During his last NBA season he weighed as much as 320 pounds, but he has slimmed down to 270 pounds through an intensive exercise regime, he said.

"I've sat out this whole season to get in tip top shape to make a comeback," Kemp said in an interview with Houston television station KRIV.

The athlete's Houston-based agent, Tony Dutt, said he felt the weight loss would definitely rekindle Kemp's career.

"I was basically relaying the information the GMs were giving me: 'Until he loses the weight, we don't care if he can score 30 points a game. When he loses the weight, give us a call,"' Dutt said. "So there are going to be some phones ringing."

The former All-Star faced troubles other than weight loss during his career, which began when he was drafted by Seattle in 1989. He took a leave of absence during the 2000-01 season to enter a substance abuse program and violated the league's anti-drug policy three times.

Most recently, a Seattle judge sentenced him in May 2005 to five days of electronic home monitoring, a year's probation and a $440 fine after he pleaded guilty to attempted possession of more than 40 grams of marijuana.

Kemp said those problems were behind him and he was ready to recharge his NBA career with an enthusiastic comeback.

"My love for the game is very, very high," Kemp said. "I've made a living off of this game. I'm not coming back to play basketball for any financial reasons."

"I'm not playing just to make someone's roster. I'm not just playing to make a comeback. My hopes and dreams are to be in the Hall of Fame one day."

nkdlunch
03-23-2006, 12:32 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao

caŽlo
03-23-2006, 01:00 PM
he was pretty much ok till he said HALL OF FAME.

a tad lil too late for that kempy..

AZLouis
03-23-2006, 01:07 PM
Shawn Kemp: The Reign-Man Is Back

November 22, 2005

By Eric Johnson

HOUSTON - He knows he screwed up. And he knows what you think the moment you hear the name "Shawn Kemp".

He grew up right before our very eyes -- we met him when he was just 18. We watched a supernova of raw talent explode, and then collapse back into itself like a black hole.

We saw him turn his back on Seattle, and then ultimately on himself.

He can't take it back. It doesn't work that way. But he desperately wants to change the last chapter; the final act.

And that's why Shawn Kemp is back.

"When all that stuff was going on, I never got a chance to talk to anybody... no one really asked me... there was so many things written about me that wasn't true... talked about me that wasn't true... and that's the thing as a person that bothers me the most," Kemp said.

"Like I said, when you're in that spotlight, and when something like that happens, you get sent off to this rehab place... all these people talking about you as a drug addict... what you find is you kind of go into a shell. You don't want to talk about it because you already know what the person is thinking about it."

Do you remember what it was like before he left? Or have you forgotten that the Reign-Man, the man-child, did things on a basketball court that few, if any, ever did before -- or since.

If you loved what he was, then you were disappointed by what he became: overweight, overpaid, and then overnight, just over.

The last time we saw him was in a courtroom. He'd been picked up in a car with a friend, and a bag of marijuana, a little cocaine, and a loaded pistol.

"I've definitely learned from this," Kemp said. "It's not a place I'm familiar with, and you shall not see me back in this position again."

Today he swears he didn't know about any of the drugs, and promises the incident changed him forever.

"I had already planned to get in shape; I was already working out at that time. And then that happened...

"Of all the things I've done -- been out drinking, used drugs... to never be caught, then all the sudden to be caught when you're not doing something... if that don't change you, nothing will ever change you."

And so he dropped everything 6 months ago and moved to Houston with a trainer. No drinking. No partying.

Just sweat and resolve -- and oatmeal 3 times a day.

He's lost 55 pounds.

"If you're a professional athlete and you've been to the top, you...you know how to get back there," he said.

Still larger than life, Shawn talks openly now about things he's kept locked up for years.

Like cocaine.

"If anything I could do all over again, I probably should have come out and talked about it a little bit more," he said. "Maybe been a little bit more open. The drug problem has never been that bad. I'm not gonna say I've never done drugs, because I have. But I think my personal demons were more of just my life... mismanaging my life, not just with drugs."

Back when everything was falling apart, Sports Illustrated did a cover story that claimed he had 7 children with multiple women.

Shawn said nothing.

"I mean there's no doubt about it, I have kids. I'm not gonna sit here and deny that," Kemp said. "But I never talked to S.I....they never called me to ask any questions. They put that story in the magazine without getting contact or anything, so...

"I'm sitting her in front of you guys and I'm gonna tell you this: Man, when you're growing up as a kid and they tell you this, they say, 'Hey, if you get in trouble and you have a lot of people around, 10 friends, people close to you and you think they're gonna help you out if something goes sour, everybody goes away.' Yeah...and I mean that."

To see him walk on a basketball court now, is to believe that he can make it back to the top of the mountain.

His face lights up; he grins like a kid, plays hoops like a kid. He's changed.

He's the Reign-man again.

Very soon, he'll work out for a handful of NBA teams. The motive is not money. Shawn's been wise -- he's financially set.

He turns 36 next week, and he says the comeback's not about reputation or redemption. It's strictly between the man and his game.

"I'm shooting for the Hall of Fame Eric; that's what I'm going for," Kemp said. "Obviously I owe something to the game of basketball at this point and that's what I'm gonna try to do.

"You live and you learn...that's what I've learned. I can't go back and change things...or change myself. But I accept things for what they are, the mistakes I've made, the good things I've done...I'm just a kid that grew up and uh, I'm a grown man now and I mean that, I've strived to get where I'm at now, and I'm gonna try to get better."

He's in great shape, he's cleaned up his messes, and he's happy again.

And believe this: whether he ever plays another minute in the NBA or not, the Reign-man is back.
http://www.komotv.com/sports/story.asp?ID=40397

Also has an accompanying video of the "slimmer" Kemp. It's from November 2005.

T-Pain
03-23-2006, 02:32 PM
kemp is done, if he was still clean and healthy, he probably wouldve retired by now. theres not many people left currently active from his draft class.

Peter
03-23-2006, 06:25 PM
He could've been in the Hall. His game went to shit at age 30. Just 5 more seasons of 30 minutes a night and averages close to 20 and 10 would've been enough to get him in, IMO.

Darrin
03-23-2006, 08:00 PM
Child support must be overdue again....

Come on, have some compassion for the man. Yes, he stole money from the Portland Trailblazers, but this guy put up incredible numbers the first 10 years of his career.

From 1991-1999:

17.9 ppg, .512 FG%, 9.9 rpg, 2.1 apg, 1.33 spg, and 1.54 bpg in 666 games. The last team in Cleveland to make the playoffs? Shawn Kemp was their leading scorer. The last team to make the NBA Finals in Seattle? Shawn Kemp was their leading scorer.

He's got some talent, he shot himself in the foot in 2001 by admitting publicly that he had a substance abuse problem and that it was cocaine, not marjuiana like Damon Stoudamire or Lamar Odom. He was a model citizen in Orlando in 2002-03, and actually helped them greatly in the playoffs. The problem was, Kemp was overweight.

If you're going to pass judgement on this guy, you've got to do the same thing with John Lucas and David Thompson, Michael Jordan even had a mistress he paid to keep quiet.

mikejones99
03-25-2006, 06:51 AM
If he comes back and gets 20 a game he will be in the Hall I think. Odds about 10 to 1 against though.

jochhejaam
03-25-2006, 08:10 AM
If he comes back and gets 20 a game he will be in the Hall I think. Odds about 10 to 1 against though.
I'd put the odds at more like 500 to 1.
I would imagine there are teams that would give him a look if he can show he's in shape. Would they still have to pay him the vet minimum since he's been out of the NBA for 3 years?

GiG's Doctor
03-25-2006, 09:57 AM
Cocaine is a helluva drug.

ChumpDumper
03-25-2006, 12:48 PM
He looked alot better in that video than he did in Orlando. I'd work out anyone who might help with our rebounding problem.

mookie2001
03-25-2006, 01:56 PM
Most recently, a Seattle judge sentenced him in May 2005 to five days of electronic home monitoring, a year's probation and a $440 fine after he pleaded guilty to attempted possession of more than 40 grams of marijuana.

more than 40 grams DAM!!!!!!!!!!!!
this felon must have had a convoy of 18 wheelers hauling that

Vashner
03-25-2006, 03:45 PM
Isn't he the one that fathered like kids from 6 diff women?

yeahone
03-25-2006, 08:07 PM
come back soonm shawn kemp we miss you

yeahone
03-25-2006, 08:15 PM
come back soonm shawn kemp we miss you

Samr
03-26-2006, 06:26 PM
The problem was, Kemp was overweight.

see: cocaine problem

Darrin
03-28-2006, 04:47 AM
Isn't he the one that fathered like kids from 6 diff women?

I believe it's five children with 4 different women.