PDA

View Full Version : NBA's Mashburn retires after lengthy injury

ducks
03-24-2006, 05:05 PM
NBA's Mashburn retires after lengthy injury absence 44 minutes ago

Jamal Mashburn announced his retirement from the National Basketball Association, having missed more than two seasons with a right knee injury.

"I've had a long career in the NBA and have enjoyed my experience," Mashburn said. "I look forward to retirement life. It doesn't mean I am not going to stay busy, but its time to move on and accomplish some of the other goals that I have set for myself.

"It has been a great time. I've learned a lot, but its time to move on."

Mashburn was obtained by the 76ers 13 months ago along with forward Rodney Rogers from New Orleans for forward Glenn Robinson, but Mashburn never played a game for the 76ers.

The fourth overall selection in the 1993 NBA Draft by Dallas, Mashburn spent 11 seasons in the NBA including four with Dallas, three with Miami and four with the Charlotte-New Orleans Hornets.

Mashburn averaged 19.1 points, 5.4 rebounds and 4.0 assists over 611 games but missed all of the 2004-2005 season with his right patella femoral irritation. He was deactivated for this season.

Copyright © 2006 Agence France Presse. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AFP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Agence France Presse

ShoogarBear
03-24-2006, 06:48 PM
I am alone in not realizing he hadn't already retired?

rayray2k8
03-24-2006, 08:08 PM
Wasnt he with the hornets? :oops

rayray2k8
03-24-2006, 08:08 PM
I completely forgot about him.

Spurologist
03-24-2006, 08:12 PM

You're not alone. Sad. It was great to watch Mash play. It was a show to see him make impossible turnaround jumpers in his opponent's face. Fans and players of the other team could only shake their heads.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/buck/image/2001/play/jam513.jpg
COUNT IT

Darrin
03-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Wasnt he with the hornets? :oops

He was traded from the Hornets to the Sixers last season for Glenn Robinson, I believe. G-Rob was then waived by New Orleans, and San Antonio signed him so he could get a ring. He never suited up for the Hornets, and he had to wait a full year after his last game for insurance to kick in.

Brutalis
03-25-2006, 12:45 PM
I forgot all about him. Gheez.

ChumpDumper
03-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Saves Philly over $21 million next season if nothing else.

slayermin
03-25-2006, 01:09 PM
That Dallas team with him, J. Kidd and Jim Jackson were fun to watch. I remember I saw them play at the dome a couple of times. It's too bad they couldn't keep that nucleus together.

midgetonadonkey
03-25-2006, 02:07 PM
I thought he died.

Pandaemonaeon
03-25-2006, 08:13 PM
Mashburn was really fun to watch on offense because of the mismatches he creates which is why Q frustrates the hell out of me - similar skillset but ended up wasting it, playing strictly at the perimeter. At least Melo has the right idea and could eclipse Mash if he works on his D.

slayermin
03-25-2006, 08:33 PM
Mashburn was really fun to watch on offense because of the mismatches he creates which is why Q frustrates the hell out of me - similar skillset but ended up wasting it, playing strictly at the perimeter. At least Melo has the right idea and could eclipse Mash if he works on his D.

Are you referring to Quentin Richardson? I guess they are similar. But I think Monster Mash was a better shooter and he punished smaller players on the low block.

Pandaemonaeon
03-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Yes. Mash was the better shooter and passer but other than that they're pretty similar with Q being more athletic. The underrated part of Q's game is that he could push guards (legit back-to-the-basket game) regardless of size effortlessly around the post and get an easy and-1. But Mash knew when to shoot and when not to, Q just chucked and chucked like there's no tommorow.

Horry For 3!
03-25-2006, 09:40 PM
I remember him on the Mavs, Heat and Hornets

T-Pain
03-25-2006, 10:55 PM
i was wondering what had happened to that guy