PDA

View Full Version : Kwame Brown May Finally Be Coming of Age

ducks
03-24-2006, 05:09 PM
Kwame Brown May Finally Be Coming of Age By JOHN NADEL, AP Sports Writer
Thu Mar 23, 4:03 PM ET

Passes still slip through his hands, free throws clank off the rim, and there's not much chance Kwame Brown is going to make a jump shot from any significant distance.

All that being said, Brown performed like an All-Star in perhaps the Los Angeles Lakers' most important game of the season to date, and seems to be making significant strides recently.

"He's been doing the defensive part all year long," Kobe Bryant said Wednesday night following one of the best efforts of Brown's five-year NBA career. "Sometimes, the people want more. Tonight he gave them more."

Brown had a season-high 21 points, 12 rebounds and three assists in the Lakers' 87-80 victory over Sacramento, putting them in seventh place in the Western Conference, a game ahead of the Kings.

He entered averaging 6.0 points and 6.1 rebounds.

"Great game. We told him before the game, they don't bother to guard him, that if he was active, he was going to find some things around there," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. "He really did. He found some opportunities tonight.

"He's steadily been playing better and better as he's gotten comfortable."

So much has been expected of Brown, and so little has been realized, since the Washington Wizards made him the first pick in the 2001 draft following his graduation from Glyn Academy High in Brunswick, Ga.

Even as the 6-foot-11, 270-pounder has taken heat from hometown fans and the media, his coach and teammates have been supportive.

"It makes me very proud of him," Bryant said of Brown's latest effort. "I look at all these guys here as little brothers, and to see him out there on the floor in practice working hard is great.

"People have called in on radio stations and talk shows and bashed him, but they don't see him in practice, and they don't see these guys in practice, before practice even, working on their game. So when you see him improve, it's not just something that came out of nowhere — it's from hard work."

Brown, who turned 24 earlier this month, didn't have that sort of reputation in Washington. Fact is, he rubbed then-Wizards president Michael Jordan the wrong way almost from the start of his career, and Washington couldn't wait to get rid of him when the Lakers came calling last summer.

Desperately needing an inside presence, the Lakers acquired Brown in a four-player deal, sending highly regarded perimeter player Caron Butler to the Wizards.

"I have come in here and done what Coach has asked me to do," Brown said. "He asked me to run, rebound and defend, but unfortunately playing defense is like being a lineman in football — you just don't get much credit for it.

"With Chris (Mihm) being out, I did not want there to be a letdown for my teammates. I know my role has changed a little bit because I have to go in and score instead of coming off the bench to get Kobe open, run and rebound. I have to do a little more on the offensive end."

Mihm, the Lakers' starting center, sprained his right ankle March 12, and might not return before the end of the regular season. Brown, who has played in 60 games and started 37 for the Lakers, had been coming off the bench before Mihm got hurt.

Now, a lot more is expected, and Brown is producing.

"Inside presence, being physical, that's what we need from him," teammate Lamar Odom said. "The guy's got the best body in the NBA — he's got to throw it around a little bit."

This wasn't the first time Brown has excelled against the Kings — he had career-high totals of 30 points and 19 rebounds on March 17, 2004, in Sacramento.

That was, by far, the most productive game of his career.

Brown called his latest performance against the Kings "my best all-around game."

"It feels good," he said. "We got one here, and we have another one here on Friday. We just have to keep building off this win."