PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Minutes Breakdown

timvp
10-01-2004, 11:46 AM
If you were Pop, how would you configure the minutes. I'd do something like this:

C Rasho - 33
PF Duncan - 37
SF Bowen - 30
SG Ginobili - 32
PG Parker - 37

PF Rose - 25
SF Brown - 14
SG Barry - 20
PG Beno - 11

Geno Billy
10-01-2004, 12:19 PM
I'd start all the baller's...goes sumpin like:

T-Dunc - ain't your typical baller but he got tat on his back and tongue stud.
Jas. Thomas - nice array on his guns

Well, that's all the ballers I can think of right now. but I'd start them.

ducks
10-01-2004, 12:26 PM
25 minutes for rose is a pipedream

timvp
10-01-2004, 12:43 PM
25 minutes for rose is a pipedream

True.

The same pipe won 1999 and 2003.

Brodels
10-01-2004, 01:15 PM
I'd rather see Parker play 32-34 minutes. With Beno being an unknown I don't know if it could happen, but it allow Parker to stay fresh for the playoffs.

I see Horry getting some PT as well.

C - Rasho 32, Horry, 12, Rose 4
PF - Duncan 38, Rose 10
SF - Bowen 34, Brown 10, LJ 4
SG - Manu 32, Barry 16
PG - Parker 34, Barry 8, Beno 6

Totals:

Horry - 12
Rose - 14
Rasho - 32
Duncan - 38
Bowen - 34
LJ - 4
Brown - 10
Manu - 32
Parker - 34
Beno - 6
Barry - 24

That's an eleven man rotation. A little extreme no doubt, but I would really like to see Pop use all of these players for the first half of the season. He needs to develop many different weapons and get everyone comfortable playing Spurs basketball in case someone gets injured later on. He can trim it down to a nine man rotation in the second half of the season. LJ and Horry might get fewer minutes, or LJ and Rose, or LJ and Beno.

BTW, I know that Pop is committed to giving Beno a chance to be the backup point guard. That's fine with me, but I'm not comfortable with such an unknown at the backup point. The position caused problems last season. Barry can do a fine job backing Tony up, but I would rather see him stick to SG or even SF. I think he will be more effective at those positions.

Prove me wrong Beno. Show that you're ready.

FromWayDowntown
10-01-2004, 01:23 PM
I think configuring the minutes depends on what part of the season we're discussing. I'd think that Tim and Manu will play some abnormally low minutes at the beginning of the season, to try to save their bodies. I think Tony's minutes will be fairly low early, too, so that Pop can take a look at Beno and figure out what he has.. I also think that Horry will end up in the minutes mix (somehow) by the end of the season.

For seasonal averages, I'll say something like this:

Rasho 29
Duncan 35
Bowen 31
Ginobili 33
Parker 34

Barry 24
Beno 12
Rose 20
Brown/Johnson 15

Brodels
10-01-2004, 01:27 PM
Everyone seems to think that Rose is going to beat out Horry for the backup PF spot. I personally hope to see it happen, but I'm not convinced that it will. Horry got the minutes last season while Rose sat on the bench.

Horry is a year older and Malik gets a fresh start, but what else has changed? There are reasons to believe that Horry will still get those minutes.

And don't forget about Marks. Pop said that Marks would play a bigger role. He could get some minutes, especially early on.

Nikos
10-01-2004, 01:56 PM
The main thing with Pop and the Horry and Malik situation is his preference towards defense and having a 'safe' lineup on offense.

Malik is obviously the better offensive talent of the two, but if he is going to turn the ball over too often, and score many points at the expense of his teamattes then Pop would rather play it 'safe' with Horry.

Horry's defensive, intangibles, and clutch pedigree all work against Malik Rose (if he is not playing his game).

Ultimately the Spurs need more offense, but if Parker improves in that regard than Pop will probably stay in favor of Horry receiving more crunch time minutes.

I guess some of it depends on how much the Spurs offense improves this season (while still being elite defensively).

Brodels
10-01-2004, 02:21 PM
Malik is obviously the better offensive talent of the two,

I agree with everything else in the post, but I don't agree with that. Malik is certainly more explosive and can finish around the hoop, but Horry is the better perimeter shooter and he can do more with his back to the basket. Both can finish pretty well.

As far as athleticism and explosiveness, Malik wins. But that doesn't make Malik a better offensive player.

I agree with the rest though. Horry is Pop's kind of player. I think he'll see regular minutes.

I wish they had another seven footer. Tim can spell Rasho with Rose and Horry playing power forward, but I can't see the Spurs regularly playing any other big men. It would be nice to have Kevin Willis around.

Nikos
10-01-2004, 04:19 PM
The bottom line is at this stage of their careers Malik is the more efficient scorer. He simply can put more points on the board and at a more efficient rate. Now whether he does to the detriment of his team offensive flow is another issue. He may not be better offensively in the context of the team and its needs -- but I don't see how Horry can be seen as better on offense than Rose (at least from scoring standpoint, not neccesarily passing/avoiding turnovers and staying within the flow of the teams offense).

Horry really is not a scoring threat other than on the perimeter and at this stage of his career even that comes and goes. As a defender though, and intangibles type of guy Horry is more 'stable'.

Do you really feel the team is 'better' on offense with Horry as opposed to Malik (assuming you don't think Malik is a black hole)?

ducks
10-01-2004, 04:25 PM
I am not sure
rose last year played more poorly then horry

rose looked like last year he last a spring in his jump
rose looked like he is past his prime last year

Jimcs50
10-01-2004, 06:27 PM
WTF cares, it is much too early for this discussion. It is baseball time right now. Go Astros! Go Red Sox!

SequSpur
10-01-2004, 06:32 PM
LMAO @ Malik getting minutes.

You tools don't remember shit about nothing.

Malik Rose blows. He hasn't gotten consistent minutes in almost 2 damn years. Dude is not part of the rotation. Dude is one foot out the door.

Wake up.

ducks
10-01-2004, 06:55 PM
WTF cares, it is much too early for this discussion. It is baseball time right now. Go Astros! Go Red Sox!then go to you baseball forum then :rolleyes
NEXT

xcoriate
10-01-2004, 07:22 PM
I wish they had another seven footer. Tim can spell Rasho with Rose and Horry playing power forward, but I can't see the Spurs regularly playing any other big men. It would be nice to have Kevin Willis around.

I'll second that, I really think another 7 footer would do wonders for the team. Otherwise Tim is going to be playing a lot of minutes at the C spot and whilst he can do it, it's not his forte. Currently we have only two legit players at the C position, Rasho and Tim, oh and I suppose you could make a case for Sean Marks but where yet to see if his a plausable option. I just feel that we're pretty shallow at this position.

Parker 33
Manu 33
Bowen 27
Tim 38
Rasho 33

Brent 20
Udrih 10
Devin 10
LJ 10
Horry 15
Malik 10

Mark in Austin
10-01-2004, 07:33 PM
C Rasho - 28
PF Duncan - 37
SF Bowen - 28
SG Ginobili - 32
PG Parker - 37

PF/C Rose - 20
PF/SF Horry/Marks - 12
SF Brown - 14
SG Barry - 23
PG Beno - 9

spurster
10-01-2004, 07:35 PM
Duncan 36
Rasho 30
Bowen 30
Manu 30
Parker 30

Rose 15
Horry 10
Mass 5
LJ 6
Brown 21
Barry 21
Beno 6

nzkickass
10-01-2004, 10:07 PM
I'd give Marks more mins than Rose, i don't really see how Rose can play any time at C when he's like only 6"7 !! and doesn't have big hops ! Marks has massive hops. Anyone remember that dunk he did in the face of Yao Ming at the olympics ? That was huge! :)

timvp
10-02-2004, 04:56 AM
A key will be for Pop to keep Manu's minutes around 30. Manu loses effectiveness and becomes more prone to injury the more he plays. If he's playing 35+ minutes per game, he'll be worn down by the playoffs.

He plays too all-out to average much more than 30 minutes.

Brodels
10-02-2004, 08:04 AM
A key will be for Pop to keep Manu's minutes around 30. Manu loses effectiveness and becomes more prone to injury the more he plays. If he's playing 35+ minutes per game, he'll be worn down by the playoffs.

For $60 million or whatever he's making, he better be able to play more than 30 mpg when the team needs it from him. He's not 36. If his body is in good shape, he should be able to play 36.

Jimcs50
10-02-2004, 08:53 AM
then go to you baseball forum then :rolleyes
NEXT

Nobody is ever in there.:(