PDA

View Full Version : Divers On The Forum

03-24-2006, 08:08 PM
Since I'm posted to Florida for the next few months I've decided to get back into diving (It's been 10 years since I got wet). I hooked up with the only shop around (SSI) and am getting their version of Advanced Open Water (Which includes a NITROX certification) and will make a few dives out here before I get back to San Antonio. Any comments into SSI's certifications?

Question: Since my old U.S. Divers Monitior 2 is kaput, any suggestions on a new computer that won't break the bank (Under $500) and any clubs to hook up with when I get back?

Hook Dem
03-24-2006, 08:09 PM
Awwwwwwwww.....I thought this was another kind of diving! :lol

ShoogarBear
03-24-2006, 08:17 PM
Awwwwwwwww.....I thought this was another kind of diving! :lol

Great minds . . .

SpursWoman
03-24-2006, 10:20 PM
Yeah, no kidding. At least when AHF made a thread with a similar title, he anticipated and addressed any potential perversion.

:lmao :eyebrows

ShoogarBear
03-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Hang in there, 1369. A real answer will no doubt be coming . . . :lol

Vashner
03-24-2006, 10:44 PM
SSI is ok. I am PADI open water cert. I don't like nitrox cause if it's mixed wrong U die. I'll stick to good old polluted air. As far as the dive computer I have no idea. I use a Matrix Pro but that's like 8 years old.

hussker
03-24-2006, 10:56 PM
I am PADI Deep Water Cert as is Mama hussker. I am not familiar with SSI, only PADI and NAUI. If you want to ask me some questions on NITROX and the different delivery percentage and risks, fire me an email at [email protected] I was a Dive Doc in the AF for a few yrs and as a diver, I also keep up with the literature. O2 toxicity os a real threat at 32 and 36 mixes but the REAL threat is to your equipment if you are not careful. We RARELY had DCS cases with Nitrox guys, and I only had one guy get DCS and he was TRI-MIX (though he filled his own tanks and it was tough to ascertain what his real PCT was in the mix). Most of the problems we had in Okinawa, Japan were stupid Marines going on 160 ft+ dives multiple, and then doing PT. They would get bent easily. Some would wait 5-7 days before presenting for a Table 6 dive in our chamber at Okinawa. Most of what we saw was Type I and Type II, but again, RARELY Nitrox divers. My opinion is...you get THAT much training, your awareness is MUCH higher!

Mama hussker and I have not been diving since 2002 when I went back to Okinawa on a mid tour from Korea. Mama likes to do her Underwater Photography, which means I get to play ranger rick and find the shit for her to take pics of while she conserves air! Anywho...fire me an email and I can give you some intel and a few links to people I know in the dive community from a global perspective.

hussker
03-24-2006, 10:59 PM
Computers under 500? Dude, if you are going RECREATIONAL and RARELY (I call it RnR with my buds) rent a computer...

Vashner
03-24-2006, 11:03 PM
I like to take scuba pics as a hobby.
http://home.satx.rr.com/krograth/images/gunboat01b.jpg
http://home.satx.rr.com/krograth/images/columbia3.jpg

hussker
03-24-2006, 11:12 PM
I like to take scuba pics as a hobby.
http://home.satx.rr.com/krograth/images/gunboat01b.jpg
http://home.satx.rr.com/krograth/images/columbia3.jpg

GREAT PICS VASH! Do not take this personally, but I hate you! I know what it is like to be the "picture place finder" and suck air!!!!!!

I have some buddies who found the USS Emmons off of Okinawa in 2000, and there were some serious DCS cases invlved with that. It was a great find and I am good friends with those that located it, but man...they had dudes doing wreck dives that were barely past their Open Water certification!!!! We raised the BS flag and I actually developed and taught a dive safety course from a medical perspective to the public. Had a sweet deal with the local dive shops owned by gaijins in Okinawa. I was free tow to dive sites in the Keramas because I was the Dive Doc and the shop owner used that in his spiel before we left the dock. He would always open with "Look at that man back there and remember him" He would do his thing and then have them look at me again and he would say "If you get stupid, you get to spend 6 hrs with him in a hyperbaric chamber". The schtick worked and we were safe!

I have not done dive medicine since. I love it!

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-24-2006, 11:26 PM
I don't like nitrox cause if it's mixed wrong U die.

Uh, yeah, slight exaggeration there :rolleyes The only fatalities/dive injuries associated with Nitrox have been where idiots go too deep breathing it. And frankly, if you can't grasp the fact that oxygen toxicity can kill you if you go too deep on Nitrox, well, let's just say you deserve to win that Darwin award you're destined to get :lol

I'm an assistant instructor for PADI. I'm not a big fan of SSI - any dive organization that endorses solo diving has one too many bubbles in their blood stream :lol

Just find a good instructor and use common sense on everything. I'm jealous though, I'm trying to find time to get away and go dive the Spiegel Grove off Key Largo. Hell of a dive from what I hear.

If you want the non-geek doctor (hussker) take on Nitrox, feel free to send me a PM.

Oh, as for picture time...

http://scubaclub.tamu.edu/pictures/bahamas04/Blackbeards_2004/Sharks_Ray/slides/Blackbeards_2004_Sharks_21.jpg

http://scubaclub.tamu.edu/pictures/bahamas04/Blackbeards_2004/Sharks_Ray/slides/Blackbeards_2004_Sharks_24.jpg

http://scubaclub.tamu.edu/pictures/bahamas04/Blackbeards_2004/Creatures/slides/Blackbeards_2004_Creatures_14.jpg

http://scubaclub.tamu.edu/pictures/bahamas04/Blackbeards_2004/Sharks_Ray/slides/Blackbeards_2004_Sharks_27.jpg

http://scubaclub.tamu.edu/pictures/bahamas04/Blackbeards_2004/Creatures/slides/Blackbeards_2004_Creatures_33.jpg

Vashner
03-24-2006, 11:27 PM
Yup at Brooks we had one of the worlds best chambers. I have no idea if it's still there they had talked about moving it to Wright Pat by taking it apart and putting it in a C5.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-24-2006, 11:28 PM
BTW, this is me on the left..

http://scubaclub.tamu.edu/pictures/bahamas04/Blackbeards_2004/People/slides/Blackbeards_2004_People_48.jpg

hussker
03-24-2006, 11:30 PM
[QUOTE=Aggie Hoopsfan]Uh, yeah, slight exaggeration there :rolleyes The only fatalities/dive injuries associated with Nitrox have been where idiots go too deep breathing it. And frankly, if you can't grasp the fact that oxygen toxicity can kill you if you go too deep on Nitrox, well, let's just say you deserve to win that Darwin award you're destined to get :lol

I'm an assistant instructor for PADI. I'm not a big fan of SSI - any dive organization that endorses solo diving has one too many bubbles in their blood stream :lol

Just find a good instructor and use common sense on everything. I'm jealous though, I'm trying to find time to get away and go dive the Spiegel Grove off Key Largo. Hell of a dive from what I hear.

If you want the non-geek doctor (hussker) take on Nitrox, feel free to send me a PM.

1) I agree, PADI is best

2) Thanks for the bitch slap AHF

3) Great pics!!!

Vashner
03-24-2006, 11:31 PM
That looks like cozumel (last pic). Those others from Florida? Nice nudibranch.

We should go diving sometime.. Medina and Canyon been calling me.

Also I still would like to do Flower Gardens. I just don't know about reboarding in bad weather. With my bad back it could BEEP my up. But normally I can hand off the lead and most gear then reboard. Getting in is easy. I just inflate and toss gear in then put on in water.

hussker
03-24-2006, 11:33 PM
BTW, this is me on the left..

http://scubaclub.tamu.edu/pictures/bahamas04/Blackbeards_2004/People/slides/Blackbeards_2004_People_48.jpg

DUDE! With your permission, send that to my email and I want Mama hussker (Japaggie) to download and frame that!

We have a pic of us from diving over the toilet in the guest bathroom. Male friends have come out and said..."Hey Jim, I feel like you and ChiChi were watching me pee." HAHAHA Chicks don't notice (but they are being watched.....hehehe)

jk, they aren't

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-25-2006, 12:05 AM
Vash, all those are actually from the Bahamas.

As for the Flower Gardens, I think we discussed it on this forum last year, and I'm going to try and put together a ST Flower Gardens trip at some point this summer :hat

Here's a teaser from the rigs...

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/500/6746rig.jpg

hussker - just right click and download, that's full resolution (shark/Ag flag).

BTW, here's my desktop (same dive, all in Bahamas)...

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/500/6746sharkags.jpg

And another of me...

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/500/6746scottcam.JPG

RealEstateDude
03-25-2006, 12:09 AM
If you're talking about Miami Fl go eat at "La Esquina de Tejas" it's a Cuban joint, real good food...

Vashner
03-25-2006, 01:01 AM
Yea Frogman's does rig trips right? I am pissed at fish right now, so I want to spear me a big SOW snapper to fill up my freezer.

Slomo
03-25-2006, 04:13 AM
SSI is actually VERY good. The controversial things about solo diving is handled by them in a very mature fashion and it's not something for the beginner/holiday diver but for some more extreme diving where it actually makes sense. There's an on going debate on the subject what is more dangerous a stupid buddy or solo diving. As someone who often has to dive with buddies I meet at the dive destination for the first time, I can definitely see some merits in solo diving (again for certain types of diving - holiday diving in easy spots is not an issue).

As for the Nitrox thing Vashner is exagerating it quite a bit. If you're afraid of the wrong mix you do what they teach you - you carry your own analyzer (I know I do). In repetitive dives situations at shallow deeps or as a safety stop gas on deeper dives Nitrox is a lot safer and seriously diminishes the risk of the bends. Of course it requires additional discipline and a little more logistics - but they teach you that and as anything in diving you are as safe as you yourself decide to be (adhere to the safety rules they taught you).

From what I've seen so far the level of the certification is often more depended on the quality of the instructor than the certification agency, If your instructor is competent and helps you get over any bits you may have problems with and you feel you understand everything that is said - you'll probably be OK.

I personally like suunto dive computers (the D6 is very very nice - but too expensive) and because of some new models appearing this year you could probably pick up a Stinger for a good price right now (I carry mine all the time instead of a watch http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/sminerd.gif), but the new Aladins are also quite affordable and very good.

My personal financial black hole: http://www.cikava.com/windward/KL_2k3.htm
http://www.cikava.com/windward/Piran_uw.htm

Slomo
03-25-2006, 04:16 AM
I am PADI Deep Water Cert as is Mama hussker. I am not familiar with SSI, only PADI and NAUI. If you want to ask me some questions on NITROX and the different delivery percentage and risks, fire me an email at [email protected] I was a Dive Doc in the AF for a few yrs and as a diver, I also keep up with the literature. O2 toxicity os a real threat at 32 and 36 mixes but the REAL threat is to your equipment if you are not careful. We RARELY had DCS cases with Nitrox guys, and I only had one guy get DCS and he was TRI-MIX (though he filled his own tanks and it was tough to ascertain what his real PCT was in the mix). Most of the problems we had in Okinawa, Japan were stupid Marines going on 160 ft+ dives multiple, and then doing PT. They would get bent easily. Some would wait 5-7 days before presenting for a Table 6 dive in our chamber at Okinawa. Most of what we saw was Type I and Type II, but again, RARELY Nitrox divers. My opinion is...you get THAT much training, your awareness is MUCH higher!

Mama hussker and I have not been diving since 2002 when I went back to Okinawa on a mid tour from Korea. Mama likes to do her Underwater Photography, which means I get to play ranger rick and find the shit for her to take pics of while she conserves air! Anywho...fire me an email and I can give you some intel and a few links to people I know in the dive community from a global perspective.Well said :tu

Vashner
03-25-2006, 07:37 AM
They can check the corner of your eye now for little bubbles. I went out on one dive in Cozumel in 2001 and 2 couple had stayed up till 5 AM drinking at the local gringo club (Charlies something). Anyway one couple was husband and wife. I guess she lost track of him. They found his body a week later all chewed up. The dive master didn't realize he was missing till we where surfacing. I stick to my partner like stink on shit man let me tell you. Sucks to have a bad / drunk partner.

Slomo
03-25-2006, 07:54 AM
They can check the corner of your eye now for little bubbles. I went out on one dive in Cozumel in 2001 and 2 couple had stayed up till 5 AM drinking at the local gringo club (Charlies something). Anyway one couple was husband and wife. I guess she lost track of him. They found his body a week later all chewed up. The dive master didn't realize he was missing till we where surfacing. I stick to my partner like stink on shit man let me tell you. Sucks to have a bad / drunk partner. Exactly!!!

I have a couple of horror stories about buddies that did everything in their powers to drown. You know you accept a certain level of resposabillity the moment you agree to dive with someone - there have actually been succesful lawsuit on the subject.
While I have no problem at holiday destination with easy dives (I know how to take care of rowdy/drunken/idiotic buddies (btw rookies are easy - usually a nice talk after the dive will take care of it)). But when doing more serious stuff (wrecks, deep dives, filming) I like to either have a buddy I know and trust or I make it clear to the dive master I'm not happy with the buddy assignment and just skip the dive.
Another thing that can be dangerous is buddies with faulty/dodgy equipment or bad setups. I spend a fair amount of time and money each year to maintain my equipment in top notch conditions, I expect the sam from whoever is in the water with me.

03-25-2006, 09:56 AM
Thanks for all the input. The shop I'm working with also works with the local sherrif's SAR bunch, so I'm confident in them. I plan on making a Largo run and a few West Palm dives with them while I'm here, and hopefully will continue diving when I get back to S.A. If the Flower Garden run is going to happen after I get back (I'm thinking I'll be back sometime in June), I'd be interested.

Nice pics AHF, think I'll dust off my old Nikonos V and see if it still works.

Slomo
03-25-2006, 10:44 AM
1369: When do you plan to do the (Key?) Largo run?

AHF (and others): What are the best dives close to SA?

03-25-2006, 10:49 AM
Slomo: After I knock out the NITROX classwork (Tues night) and the other three speciality courses, I think they are going to Key Largo in the next few weeks. I'll try and post pics if I can.

Slomo
03-25-2006, 10:58 AM
Slomo: After I knock out the NITROX classwork (Tues night) and the other three speciality courses, I think they are going to Key Largo in the next few weeks. I'll try and post pics if I can.I'm asking because I was thinking of spending a couple of days in Key Largo myself sometimes towards the end of April (It's pretty much in the wishful thiniking category right now - but with a little luck...)

03-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Slomo, as soon as they nail down a date I'll be sure to let you know. If you can swing it, let me know and I'll fetch you up from the airport (unless you plan on renting a car).

Slomo
03-25-2006, 11:34 AM
I'll probably have a car.

It would be a funny coincidence to meet you in the Florida Keys :tu

Fingers crossed!

Melmart1
03-25-2006, 02:30 PM
1369- I have a very good friend who lives in Florida and is a ceritified master diver. He is always marvelling about Jupiter Inlet and how much there is to see there. It is in Northern Palm Beach County. They have dives year round beacuse of the temperate climate, though lately he has been generally sticking to spring and summer dives. Just something to consider when choosing a location.

Vashner
03-25-2006, 03:24 PM
The only salt water I do is Cozumel. Since we have a summer non stop flight (Funjet ATA). Sometimes I get room and air for $500 bucks (3 nights) and do a quick set of dives.

03-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Mel, if you get a chance, drop me a contact number.

Thanks

Melmart1
03-25-2006, 04:40 PM
I probably won't talk to him till tomorrow or Monday, but I will ask him what he uses and stuff for you.

Vashner
03-25-2006, 05:44 PM
Flower Gardens trips
http://www.synergy-productions.com/html_files/virtual_tour.html

About the Flower Gardens
http://www.synergy-productions.com/videos/gd_video/GULF_D_P.WMV

03-25-2006, 10:11 PM
I've always heard that trips to the Gardens in November are the best when the hammerheads are swarming.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-25-2006, 11:09 PM
Slomo - nothing good anywhere near SA. All Texas freshwater diving sucks ass. You need to go to the rigs or the Flower Gardens.

Also for the price of a Flower Gardens trip, if you do enough hunting on the web you can track down an all-inclusive trip to Cozumel for about $200 more than the FG trip, depending on the time of year.

SSI is actually VERY good. The controversial things about solo diving is handled by them in a very mature fashion and it's not something for the beginner/holiday diver but for some more extreme diving where it actually makes sense. There's an on going debate on the subject what is more dangerous a stupid buddy or solo diving.

Well, yeah, if your buddy is a fuck up I can see the point. But solo diving as a general practice is fucking stupid.

As for SSI, sorry I don't think too kindly of them. I've had exactly one run in with anyone with an SSI cert - a lady who was actually an SSI instructor. She was on a boat on a trip I took the Bahamas three years ago.

The first deep dive of the second day the boat divemaster had to chase her because she went too deep and got narced, their computers read 162 feet when they got back on the boat.

Needless to say she was done diving for the day.

I don't have problems with my buddies, but then again I don't go on dive trips solo and whoever I go with is someone I have dove with before and have developed good underwater communications habits with.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-25-2006, 11:12 PM
BTW, as for equipment I use:

* Suunto Cobra dive computer (though it's a little more than $500, it's a hell of a computer)
* Oceanic Probe BC
* Atomic Aquatics Z2 regulator, Mares Proton backup reg (octopus)
* Atomic Aquatics Split Fins with custom made spring straps (by me)

Hmm, looks like there's lots of diving interest on this thread. I think I'll definitely set up a Flower Gardens trip (or maybe a rig trip - little bit cheaper) later on this summer for us if everyone is down.

Old School Chic
03-25-2006, 11:15 PM
Nice pic AHF

and here I am scared of the water... Would you show me how to swim? :lol

Vashner
03-26-2006, 12:17 AM
But I would not really compare the flower gardens trip to Cozumel price wise.

It's 2 different experiances. The flower gardens is harder work but more remote and unspoiled place. Also I think I mentioned cozumel was cheap?? There is only one direct flight and that's the charter. The other is a flight from Htown (Cont).

Flower gardens has 3 wonderful puke buckets to choose from.

As for Cozumel, only gringo's do all inclusive. It's better to go Euro so you can eat and the various mom and pop places on the island. You know you want to get sick so why stick to hotel food when you can really roll the dice on Montezuma's? ROFL

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-26-2006, 12:41 AM
Yeah, I should say...

Cozumel is a much easier trip if you're not used to extreme conditions.

Both the rig trip and Flower Gardens can be a real challenge if the currents are ripping out in the Gulf.

I've been out there when the water's glass and there's less current than your bath tub, and I've also been out there in 4-5 foot seas where all you could do is hang on to the rig so you didn't get blown off the rig and have to be picked up on your way to the next one :lol

Also had to get some new gloves and fins after that trip, they were shredded to hell. Crazy stuff.

Oh, and you also have the trip to the Flower Gardens, the over/under on puking is half the boat on a given trip :lmao

THanks ol' school - if you come topless I'll be more than happy to help you get over your fear of the water ;)

Vashner
03-26-2006, 12:47 AM
Bob's Cove at Medina would be a good group dive someday.

I think there is a platform down there around 40 feet near the dam.

Slomo
03-26-2006, 05:03 AM
Slomo - nothing good anywhere near SA. All Texas freshwater diving sucks ass. You need to go to the rigs or the Flower Gardens.

Also for the price of a Flower Gardens trip, if you do enough hunting on the web you can track down an all-inclusive trip to Cozumel for about $200 more than the FG trip, depending on the time of year.
Well I thought since the Gulf is not that far away that maybe there's a spot or two...

Well, yeah, if your buddy is a fuck up I can see the point. But solo diving as a general practice is fucking stupid.

As for SSI, sorry I don't think too kindly of them. I've had exactly one run in with anyone with an SSI cert - a lady who was actually an SSI instructor. She was on a boat on a trip I took the Bahamas three years ago.

The first deep dive of the second day the boat divemaster had to chase her because she went too deep and got narced, their computers read 162 feet when they got back on the boat.

Needless to say she was done diving for the day.

I don't have problems with my buddies, but then again I don't go on dive trips solo and whoever I go with is someone I have dove with before and have developed good underwater communications habits with.I completely agree that solo diving is only for certain situation/type of dives - and it carries its own set of problems (100% redundant equipment to only mention one).

The SSI methods and book are OK (I'm not an expert but I browsed through a couple of their training book), but as I said earlier the instructor is ultimatively the one that defines the quality of the training. Unfortuantely I've met PADI and CMAS instructor doing stupid things (by themselves and with students!!!), so obviously no certification agency is imune to stupidity.

I also prefer diving with a buddy, if for no other reason than you can discuss the dive in the bar after it. And if you're in a situation to always have reliable buddies that's great. Unfortunately for me at least 30% of my diving has been done with strangers and there's quite a few cases where I would have been safer on my own (OK most cases where just fine).

I have acumulated quite a lot of gear through the years, but I maintain two main configurations now:
Dual 10L 300bar tanks (obviously this one does not travel well :lol)
with 2 indepedent regulator sets. 1st stage: Poseidon and Apeks. 2nd stages: Poseidon Cyklon 500 and APEKS TX100.

My travel/nitrox set (without tanks) Scubapro Mk20+S600+R380 octopus.

Uwatec Aladin Smart Pro and Suunto Stinger
(btw AHF: Suunto Cobra is a kick ass computer)

I have 2 Halcyon BCs: Stainless steel backplate with 70L Explorer wing and Aluminum backplate with Pioneer 30 wing.

This is not a very common/standard kit, but it has somehow evolved on its own through the years :lol

Vashner
03-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Yea that's sounds like expensive gear :) The 300 bar how man LB's is that? Is that the new steel that does 3400-3500 lbs??

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-26-2006, 12:21 PM
I completely agree that solo diving is only for certain situation/type of dives - and it carries its own set of problems (100% redundant equipment to only mention one).

Here's another one - as a solo diver/snorkeler you're much more likely to have a negative experience if you run into some of the apex predators like tiger sharks, bulls, and great whites. A person in the ocean by themselves is like ringing the dinner bell for an opportunistic animal.

Most of the major shark attacks in the past 4 years in Cali, Australia, and Hawaii have been when people were diving/snorkeling alone.

ANother reason I like having a buddy is invariably two sets of eyes find more cool stuff to take photos of than one :lol

03-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Man, ya'll have all the cool toys. I'll just stick to my tried and trusted U.S. Divers Conshelf 21/Octo and Alcyone BC until I know if I'll be diving more.

If I get back into diving heavy, I'm thinking about one of the Uwatec computers, as they are one of the only ones that'll interface with my Mac.

Slomo
03-26-2006, 12:35 PM
Yea that's sounds like expensive gear :) The 300 bar how man LB's is that? Is that the new steel that does 3400-3500 lbs?? It is expensive, but you know how it is you buy one little item and then the next one.....

As I said this is the result of many years of purchasing diving stuff. If I would have to buy it now I'd never come up with the money - thank god most of those things are almost bullet proof and will last you a life time.

300 bar = 4410 psi

The dual 10L 300 bar steel tank setup is sweet but weighs around 30 kg!!! when full. The plus side is you have tons of air - very useful to stalk animals with your camera :)

Slomo
03-26-2006, 12:59 PM
I searched my HDD for some photos a friend took during a dive trip in Key Largo a few years back :)

In this one I'm proving you can actually smile for the camera even under water :lol
http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/SCUBA/buldoga_1.jpg

http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/SCUBA/KL_2002_02.jpg

AlamoSpursFan
03-26-2006, 01:02 PM
I'm reading this thread green with envy.

I've always wanted to learn SCUBA diving, but I've never had the time or money.

Keep the cool pics coming!

Slomo
03-26-2006, 01:05 PM

ASF

Diving is cheaper than skiing! You actually do not have to own any of the gear and even when you decide you want to good equipment can be bought at very reasonable prices.

Go to your nearest dive center/club and take the course! I waited way too long before I did it :tu

AlamoSpursFan
03-26-2006, 01:16 PM
My main problem is scheduling...How involved is the course? I don't have a set work schedule, so I have a problem finding time for setting stuff up. Or could I do it in a week? I have vacation time coming up...

03-26-2006, 01:22 PM
ASF, when I did my PADI Open Water course (That's the certifying body I originally went with) in Minnesota 10 years ago, I knocked out the class work and pool time in a weekend. The checkout dives just happened to coincide with a dive trip to Bonaire that winter. I would imagine that in SA checkout dives (done on another weekend) would take place at either Canyon or Travis (deeper water there).

AlamoSpursFan
03-26-2006, 01:25 PM
Really...hmm. I need to look into this! This would be the perfect hobby to irritate the ex with.

:lol

Slomo
03-26-2006, 01:29 PM
This pictures cracks me up everytime. It looks like I just discovered the world's largest Barracuda :lol

http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/SCUBA/KL_2002_04.jpg

AlamoSpursFan
03-26-2006, 01:32 PM
That looks like an Emperor Snapper under you there.

I had one once in a saltwater aquarium I used to have. It cost me $40 and it was gorgeous, but as it got bigger it suddenly started devoring its tank mates. Stupid $40 fish ended up costing me $200+.

:lol

John Doe
03-26-2006, 02:33 PM

I've always wanted to learn as well and after reading this makes me want to go try it all the more. I contacted Dive World on Thousand Oaks and they quoted almost $800 for me and my son. Does this sound like a reasonable price?

03-26-2006, 02:40 PM
$800 for two people does sound a little high to me.

Slomo
03-26-2006, 02:49 PM
$800 for two people does sound a little high to me.I don't know the prices in the US (over here this would be expensive), but AHF is a PADI instructor, I'm sure he knows more about pricing.

Old School Chic
03-26-2006, 06:58 PM
Nice pic AHF

and here I am scared of the water... Would you show me how to swim? :lol

THanks ol' school - if you come topless I'll be more than happy to help you get over your fear of the water :oops :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-26-2006, 08:56 PM
I contacted Dive World on Thousand Oaks and they quoted almost $800 for me and my son

Um, yeah, two words.

1. Rip
2. Off

I don't know about SA prices off the top of my head, but up in Dallas where rich people love to blow money it costs about $250 to get certified. It shouldn't cost double that in SA. :td

I've also heard the Dive World guys work on commission and the higher the rate they get you to agree to, the more it means for them. Stay away. One of my buddies in that part of the world likened Dive World to a used car lot for divers, lots of pressure to buy, etc.

The two I've heard good things about are Deep Blue Adventures and Duggan Diving over in Universal City.

I'd check out prices with both of them, but would stay away from Dive World.

Also, post before you buy gear, a lot of shops try to pressure you to buy gear and try and pitch "good deals" when you can typically find better.

AlamoSpursFan
03-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Damn. Y'all are seriously getting me hooked on this idea. Thanks for the thread!

Really, AHF? $250 in Dallas? That's like $75 in SA money... :lol

AlamoSpursFan
03-26-2006, 09:08 PM
One thing I've always thought would be cool is the opportunity to go on a dive and catch fish for a saltwater aquarium setup. I've heard of people doing this, but is it common, and are there any kind of special permits or gear you would need?

I haven't done a salt tank in a while, but I've been itching to get back into it in a big way.

03-26-2006, 09:12 PM
One thing I've always thought would be cool is the opportunity to go on a dive and catch fish for a saltwater aquarium setup. I've heard of people doing this, but is it common, and are there any kind of special permits or gear you would need?

I haven't done a salt tank in a while, but I've been itching to get back into it in a big way.

Worked for that Aussie fella in "Finding Nemo"

Sort of.

Vashner
03-26-2006, 09:30 PM
yea but Kathy and her father .. the Dive World on 1000 oaks. .she is one of the best PADI instructors around. They have been in business a Looong time in San Antonio and it might seem expensive but I would recommend them. She was my instructor so I am biased hhehe.

Alamo- You would only do that like if you lived in Key's or Virgin Islands. If your talking about catching and shipping then yea you need to deal with a local exporter to do the paperwork. Just go to Texas tropical if he don't got it he will order it for you.

But yea its' a good fantasy. One of the Hotels.. which are now like really messed up after Rita in Cozumel. It's called Hotel Cozumel now, though it has had many changes. They used to have a wall right at the hotel. It was wierd to wake up.. walk outside and get in (snorkle) and be surrounded by purple octopus, queen angels, puffers etc. Like a dream.

Edit: Here is a pic of Comal Springs in New Braunfels. Nice dive but very shallow 6-8 avg. Used for Cozumel drift dive training. Also commonly used for basic training / gear checkouts.

http://home.satx.rr.com/krograth/images/comal01.jpg

AlamoSpursFan
03-26-2006, 09:36 PM
Alamo- You would only do that like if you lived in Key's or Virgin Islands. If your talking about catching and shipping then yea you need to deal with a local exporter to do the paperwork. Just go to Texas tropical if he don't got it he will order it for you.

Yeah, I know. I've done plenty of business with Texas Tropical. They're good people. Alamo Aquatics and Fintique are good folks too. My interest would be in the fact that I could say "See that fish? I caught it!"

Vashner
03-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Hey if you can find a C-card cheaper do it. I really think a lot is up to the diver and how much research you do and attention to training materials etc. Duggan has been around a while too.

AlamoSpursFan
03-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Nice Texas Cichlid pic. I used to have one, that, incidentally, I caught at Landa Park. With a minnow net.

Vashner
03-26-2006, 09:56 PM
Medina Lake is a nice dive.. no matter what anyone says..

Here is why. There are cars, train rail tracks (from the building of the damn to move materials), catfish the size of people and swimthru cave holes.

It's cold as hell but with good wetsuit it's not shabby dive on clear days. It's good place to hit 130" for couple minutes (once you are used to it **).

It's frigging cold and dark down there... spooky.

John Doe
03-27-2006, 12:06 PM
I think I should have been more specific. Dive World's pricing included books, mask, fins, boots and snorkle. The equipment varies in price and books were $70

AlamoSpursFan
03-27-2006, 12:24 PM

I just figured out what you meant by catching and shipping. For some reason last night my beer soaked mind thought you meant shipping as in catching the fish and then selling them. It would be nice to be able to catch the fish and get them into my tank here in SoTex. :lol

I wonder if that's an overly expensive operation. Also, I wonder if there are any fish off the Texas coast that would be interesting in an aquarium. I caught a cool looking orange filefish off the boat slip at the UT Marine Science Center in Port A on a Marine Biology trip back in high school. They put it in their aquarium and I went back a couple of years later and it was still there.

John Doe
03-27-2006, 01:37 PM
[QUOTE=Aggie Hoopsfan]The two I've heard good things about are Deep Blue Adventures and Duggan Diving over in Universal City.QUOTE]

First off thanks for the plug on Duggan, secondly I have found a great deal, Duggan will be instructing a class on base at Randolph for $200 complete. I'll soon be on of the fellas!

Slomo
03-27-2006, 02:40 PM
Also, post before you buy gear, a lot of shops try to pressure you to buy gear and try and pitch "good deals" when you can typically find better.:tu

Very good advice. There's loads of very good equipment out there for very reasonable prices - but it's usually not the first thing you get offered in a dive shop.

An English magazine called Dive actually has a column about undercover divers that go from dive shop to dive shop and play dumb or act as novices - then report the whole experience in the magazine. Funny stuff and useful info rolled into one :tu

Vashner
03-27-2006, 02:53 PM
I just figured out what you meant by catching and shipping. For some reason last night my beer soaked mind thought you meant shipping as in catching the fish and then selling them. It would be nice to be able to catch the fish and get them into my tank here in SoTex. :lol

I wonder if that's an overly expensive operation. Also, I wonder if there are any fish off the Texas coast that would be interesting in an aquarium. I caught a cool looking orange filefish off the boat slip at the UT Marine Science Center in Port A on a Marine Biology trip back in high school. They put it in their aquarium and I went back a couple of years later and it was still there.

The sometimes catch French Angels on the rigs right off Port A. They are migrating north with the warmer waters.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-29-2006, 08:37 PM
I think I should have been more specific. Dive World's pricing included books, mask, fins, boots and snorkle. The equipment varies in price and books were $70

See, that's crap. You can buy the open water diver manual for approx. $25-30 (depending on your instructor level). They're making 100% profit on the stupid book.

And on the mask, fins, etc., you're getting stuck with what they want to sell you in the shop, no doubt it also has at least 100% margin on it as well.

I hate when shops pull shit like that. Total ripoff.

04-02-2006, 09:08 PM
After diving some springs over the weekend, I discovered what was causing my U.S. Divers Wraparound to "bite". I've got a split in the skirting under my nose. In lieu of having it repaired, any suggestions on a replacement?

Vashner
04-03-2006, 02:30 AM
The Mask? I would just replace it. You might just put some silicon on the tear and toss it in your bag as a backup mask.

Slomo
04-03-2006, 05:34 AM
After diving some springs over the weekend, I discovered what was causing my U.S. Divers Wraparound to "bite". I've got a split in the skirting under my nose. In lieu of having it repaired, any suggestions on a replacement?I personnaly really like my "Big Eyes" model from Cressi. It's low volume (I hate large volume mask with a passion) and has a very wide view angle. After Cressi introduced this model many other manufacturers have produced similar masks, so you shouldn't have a problem finding something similar if you like the design. Anyway a mask is only as good as how good it fits you, so don'tbuy anything without trying it on. :tu (which I'm sure you already know...)

Here's a link to Cressi (http://cressi.it/intro.php?lang=us&id_catalogo=2&id_categoria=7&id_prodotto=17&m=scheda)