PDA

View Full Version : Motorola SLVR cellphone

Sense
03-24-2006, 11:28 PM
Hey guys, Don't know if many threads have been posted about this but I'm a bit optimistic about this phone.

I'm willing to buy it, but I was just wondering what your opinion on this phone is?

I want to know if this thing can play the songs through iTunes NICELY...

It is a cellphone, but the fact that you can have 100 songs in the cellphone and your able to hear them through headphones has me doubtful about the quality...

Does anyone know if it's good? Does anyone have it?

http://www.bestbuymobilephones.com/files/slvr-med.gif
http://asia.cnet.com/i/r/2005/hp/39086500/sc001.jpg

Sense
03-24-2006, 11:34 PM
Anyone? :(

spurs=bling
03-24-2006, 11:37 PM
i have a Nokia. sorry

Leetonidas
03-25-2006, 12:10 AM
I don't really like flip phones, so I would love this phone.

Sense
03-25-2006, 02:39 AM
No one has this phone?

AlamoSpursFan
03-25-2006, 09:10 AM
I don't have that one, but after years of satisfaction from my Nokia cell phone, I let the Cingular sales geek talk me into shelling out $150 for this P.O.S.:

http://www.quicksmartphone.com/images/motorolaa%20v551.jpg

My next phone will be a Nokia. Screw Motorola.

CharlieMac
03-25-2006, 09:19 AM
The wife and I both have it. It kicks ass and then some.

I did a lot of reseacrh on places like CNET and read a few reviews and people are usually right on.

The upside is that this phone looks great. A lot of people complain that you only get a 100 songs on the phone, but do you really need more than 100 songs? I've never understood why people need mp3 players that hold 1000's of songs. The earphones sound great and the layout is really easy to navigate.

The camera's quality is great and the video camera is pretty good. The only problem with it is that you can't hold clips longer than 20 seconds. You get a lot of storage, you'll just havd a bunch of 20 second clips.

There's a major downside though. If you're used to uplloading songs quickly to your mp3 player, then you'll be dissappointed at this phones upload times. At times it can take up to 20 minutes. Also, personally, I HATE iTunes with a passion, but that's just me.

The keypad takes getting used to as well. But that's no big deal. The reception in the IH 10 Dezavala area sucks too, but that seems to be a problem with all Motorola phones in that area. One more thing, Cingular doesn't offer phone insurance on it yet, so be careful with it if youre going through Cingular.

Overall, it's a kick ass phone. No one else has it, the layout is exactly like an iPod, the external speakers sound good, and it's pretty light. The screen looks great too. I'm not even downloading screensavers, I just take pictures off my comp and it looks just as good.

Sense
03-25-2006, 03:08 PM
The wife and I both have it. It kicks ass and then some.

I did a lot of reseacrh on places like CNET and read a few reviews and people are usually right on.

The upside is that this phone looks great. A lot of people complain that you only get a 100 songs on the phone, but do you really need more than 100 songs? I've never understood why people need mp3 players that hold 1000's of songs. The earphones sound great and the layout is really easy to navigate.

The camera's quality is great and the video camera is pretty good. The only problem with it is that you can't hold clips longer than 20 seconds. You get a lot of storage, you'll just havd a bunch of 20 second clips.

There's a major downside though. If you're used to uplloading songs quickly to your mp3 player, then you'll be dissappointed at this phones upload times. At times it can take up to 20 minutes. Also, personally, I HATE iTunes with a passion, but that's just me.

The keypad takes getting used to as well. But that's no big deal. The reception in the IH 10 Dezavala area sucks too, but that seems to be a problem with all Motorola phones in that area. One more thing, Cingular doesn't offer phone insurance on it yet, so be careful with it if youre going through Cingular.

Overall, it's a kick ass phone. No one else has it, the layout is exactly like an iPod, the external speakers sound good, and it's pretty light. The screen looks great too. I'm not even downloading screensavers, I just take pictures off my comp and it looks just as good.

Thanks for your review, but are you sure about that part? ^

Pee_Eye_Emm_Pee
03-25-2006, 05:35 PM
Hey guys, Don't know if many threads have been posted about this but I'm a bit optimistic about this phone.

I'm willing to buy it, but I was just wondering what your opinion on this phone is?

I want to know if this thing can play the songs through iTunes NICELY...

It is a cellphone, but the fact that you can have 100 songs in the cellphone and your able to hear them through headphones has me doubtful about the quality...

Does anyone know if it's good? Does anyone have it?

http://www.bestbuymobilephones.com/files/slvr-med.gif
http://asia.cnet.com/i/r/2005/hp/39086500/sc001.jpg

okay... i have a razr, but i've researched the SLVR too

from what i've learned is... that the first phone they built that carried iTunes (the ROKR) was a piece of cr@p... it would eventually start messing up, cuz if you were listening to music and someone called you... you won't be able to turn off the music and won't be able to answer any calls... i bought a rokr, the music quality was awesome, but when i learned about their problem i returned it...

according to several ppl i've asked... the SLVR doesn't have that problem, they've fixed it... now! they could've just told me that to make me buy their phone... they (at the cingular store and their techs) could be lying... i still haven't bought it, but i think this bit of info could help you decide...

personally i would buy it... but i am going to wait and see if some problems occur later on... cuz i heard several RAZRs have been called back too, so all phones end up having probs

ROKR was pretty good the few days i had it... and if they say they've fixed the prob with SLVR, then it should be good to go

hope that helps...

Sense
03-25-2006, 05:39 PM
okay... i have a razr, but i've researched the SLVR too

from what i've learned is... that the first phone they built that carried iTunes (the ROKR) was a piece of cr@p... it would eventually start messing up, cuz if you were listening to music and someone called you... you won't be able to turn off the music and won't be able to answer any calls... i bought a rokr, the music quality was awesome, but when i learned about their problem i returned it...

according to several ppl i've asked... the SLVR doesn't have that problem, they've fixed it... now! they could've just told me that to make me buy their phone... they (at the cingular store and their techs) could be lying... i still haven't bought it, but i think this bit of info could help you decide...

personally i would buy it... but i am going to wait and see if some problems occur later on... cuz i heard several RAZRs have been called back too, so all phones end up having probs

ROKR was pretty good the few days i had it... and if they say they've fixed the prob with SLVR, then it should be good to go

hope that helps...

They said that the music pauses when a call comes in....

So I would guess it works now...

I did a little research too, and none of the reviews seemed to talk about that problem at all...

The only defect people were talking about was the 100 song capacity, which is kinda stupid... You can't expect to have an ipod in it...

I like this phone and since I'm getting it for $80 I think it'll be a steal..

and yeah, thanks for your remarks those also help.

CharlieMac
03-26-2006, 09:01 AM
Yeah, it pauses when it comes in now. I got mine for less than a hundred too. I was tempted to sell it on Ebay, they're going for 220.

Am I sure about which part?

SpursWoman
03-26-2006, 10:03 AM
FWIW:

I don't have that phone, but I've had 2 different ones with mp3 playing capability and they are both very, very good. You should also be able to transfer songs from your PC so you don't have to waste time downloading them straight from your phone.

Sense
03-26-2006, 06:45 PM
Yeah, it pauses when it comes in now. I got mine for less than a hundred too. I was tempted to sell it on Ebay, they're going for 220.

Am I sure about which part?

The "no insurance" with cingular...

A friend of mine has it with cingular and he's paying insurance with it.

CharlieMac
03-26-2006, 09:06 PM
The "no insurance" with cingular...

A friend of mine has it with cingular and he's paying insurance with it.

Make sure he's not paying for his old phone's insurance. I did for a few weeks, and of course, Cingular didn't bring that to my attention, they just let me keep paying. Apparently, the phone hasn't been out long enough and they are only offering the insuarnce for the Rokr until more SLVR's are made and put into production. The phone does have a warranty though.

I got both phones for less than a hundred because I wrote a couple of well-written emails to the corporate offices. I put all of my tech and professional writing class to use. I was pissed that they were making it so difficult to transfer my service over from ATT and order the ROKR. I told them I would never do my business with them again after I had been with them since 2000. The regional president's office in Austin called me and gave me great deals on the phones and allowed me to transfer over my promotional rate that I had with ATT which was 1600 anytime minutes for 69.99 with all the usual shit like free nights and weekends.

Sense
03-26-2006, 09:21 PM
you bastard! :P you and your deals.. anyways thanks for telling me about the insurance thing. I'll make sure to bring it up when I talk to my friend.

Sense
03-28-2006, 02:04 AM
Make sure he's not paying for his old phone's insurance. I did for a few weeks, and of course, Cingular didn't bring that to my attention, they just let me keep paying. Apparently, the phone hasn't been out long enough and they are only offering the insuarnce for the Rokr until more SLVR's are made and put into production. The phone does have a warranty though.

I got both phones for less than a hundred because I wrote a couple of well-written emails to the corporate offices. I put all of my tech and professional writing class to use. I was pissed that they were making it so difficult to transfer my service over from ATT and order the ROKR. I told them I would never do my business with them again after I had been with them since 2000. The regional president's office in Austin called me and gave me great deals on the phones and allowed me to transfer over my promotional rate that I had with ATT which was 1600 anytime minutes for 69.99 with all the usual shit like free nights and weekends.

BTW, I did tell my friend about that insurance thing you told me about... and it ended up being true..

Thanks alot!

KEDA
03-28-2006, 11:38 AM
I have this phone

http://laptopmag.com/images/features/gearYear/Treo-650.jpg

and I love it, mine is from Verizon, and it has realplayer on it, and I have a 1gb expansion card.

Im super happy with it!

Sense
03-28-2006, 05:15 PM
looks expensive.

CharlieMac
03-29-2006, 02:20 PM
looks expensive.

Aside from the 400 dollar phones. All sprint phones look the same. That's a cool one KEDA.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-29-2006, 03:22 PM
http://www.elecdesign.com/Files/29/5830/Figure_01.jpg
Here is a pic of my phone. I used to have one of those whimpy little phones, but now I carry the "CinderBlock3000". It freakin' ROCKS!!!!