PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Sanders on team for rest of year

Kori Ellis
03-25-2006, 02:20 AM
Spurs notebook: Sanders on team for rest of year

Web Posted: 03/25/2006 12:21 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA032506.7C.BKNspurs.notebook.6ffba76.html

PORTLAND, Ore. — Cut three times by the Spurs this season, Melvin Sanders learned Friday he'll be able to stick around for a while.

Coach Gregg Popovich told Sanders at the morning shootaround that the Spurs are going to sign him for the remainder of the season.

Sanders' 10-day contract expires today. Because it's the second time he has signed with the Spurs this season, the team had to decide whether to give him a guaranteed contract pro-rated for the season's final 13 games or let him go. Again.

"I'm ecstatic," Sanders said. "I'm still happy as can be and I'll be smiling for a long time."

Sanders was the Spurs' final cut of training camp, but the team signed him again on Nov. 9 after Michael Finley and Brent Barry went down with injuries. He was cut less than two weeks later and signed with Fayetteville of the NBA's developmental league.

The Spurs signed him to a 10-day contract on Jan. 22. When it expired he went back to Fayetteville.

With Nick Van Exel sidelined by a sore left elbow, the Spurs signed Sanders to another 10-day contract on March 16. Entering Friday, he was averaging 2.5 points and 1.5 rebounds in 7.9 minutes over 10 games.

Sanders knows he needs to improve his offensive game to become an NBA regular, but his work ethic and upbeat personality have impressed the Spurs during each of his four stays with the team.

"I never really got down because I know it's a process," said Sanders, who is in his third year out of Oklahoma State. "And to have a chance to be with the Spurs, you really can't get down about it."

Because of his transient career, Sanders isn't ready to buy a house in San Antonio. But might he finally move out of the hotel the team arranged for him and get an apartment?

"Not yet," he said, laughing. "I'm going to try to ride out that situation as long as I can."

Parker playing hurt: Tony Parker's bruised right shoulder was still bothering him some Friday, though not enough to keep him off the court.

Parker hurt his shoulder in the fourth quarter of Wednesday's loss in Denver. He pump-faked Nuggets center Francisco Elson off his feet under the basket and Elson crashed down onto him.

"Big guy," Parker said, grinning. "(The shoulder) was very sore, but I feel a little better."

Parker and Bruce Bowen are the only Spurs to play in every game this season.

Similar, but different: Parker doesn't know Sebastian Telfair, but he sympathizes with the Trail Blazers' young point guard because of some of the difficulties he has endured in his transition to the NBA.

Telfair was 19 when Portland drafted him out of New York's Lincoln High School. Parker was 19 when the Spurs took him with the 28th pick of the 2001 draft.

Unlike Telfair, Parker had the benefit of going to an established team whose locker room was full of veterans like Tim Duncan, David Robinson, Steve Kerr and Terry Porter.

"I had great teammates around me ... and all those guys helped me a lot," Parker said. "It's kind of different for (Telfair) because he's playing for a losing team. I was playing on a very good team ... and it's always better when you win."

wildbill2u
03-25-2006, 12:34 PM
Something tells me Pop doesn't expect NVE back for the playoffs.

coopdogg3
03-25-2006, 12:49 PM
Guess we'll get a good look at what Sanders brings to the table. Could be interesting.

boutons_
03-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Nick is PG, Melvin isn't.

Rummpd
03-25-2006, 01:03 PM
I think he is in there to potentially get in there as a defender to spell Bowen on Kobe or Bibby???

Pop must like this guy = good enough for me.

spurster
03-25-2006, 01:12 PM
Sanders = Championships

Mr. Body
03-25-2006, 01:53 PM
We haven't won a championship without a Robinson on the roster (Dave or Glen). Since we won't have one this year, Pop got word that a 'Sanders' counts.

SpursWoman
03-25-2006, 02:32 PM
Good for him. :)

NCaliSpurs
03-25-2006, 02:41 PM
The Pistons acquired Saunders, and the Spurs counter with Sanders. The thing both guys have in common: They are not NBA Caliber players!

Melmart1
03-25-2006, 02:41 PM
Cheap, cheap Spurs bastards for signing this guy to a guaranteed contract! Holt's cat is gonna have to eat table scraps for the rest of the season.