PDA

View Full Version : Tim should NOT be our #1 option come playoff time...

Amuseddaysleeper
03-25-2006, 07:01 PM
I was wondering what you guys think of this. Tim has been struggling mightily this year, and no i'm not saying his career is over but with his nagging PF problem he isn't even half the player he used to be. having said all this, i think our number one option should be manu followed by TP and THEN Duncan. Doing 4 down with a gimpy td isn't gonna cut it come playoff time. Yes, i expect his number to improve during the playoffs as they always do but Tim's assissts have improved greatly and i think instead of him trying to force shots on a sore heel, we should run our offense through Manu. any thoughts on this from you guys, I mean I know this is Tim's team but I think with the injury this is the time to maybe have him do more of a D. Rob in his later years role for the playoffs and maybe have him concentrate more on D.

thoughts?

Phenomanul
03-25-2006, 07:02 PM
Well.... all of that would depend on Manu's health.

spurschick
03-25-2006, 07:04 PM
That's one of the great things about our team, we don't have to depend on just one guy to be our #1 option. I think it will depend on the game. Whoever is hot should be our #1 option, and that is more than likely to be 2 or 3 people at any one time.

T-Pain
03-25-2006, 07:06 PM
good point

zocool16
03-25-2006, 07:06 PM
I think this is dumb. Tim is not the first option on offense currently... but the offense does go THRU him everytime. Don't you understand? Tim gets the ball and he's the quarterback that sets everything up, everyone comes to him and Tim finds the open man; this sets up a series of passes that the defenders try to hurry to catch up to... but defenders don't run as fast as a pass goes, so someone always gets an easier shot attempt... THANX TO TIM.

Another thing, "He's not even half the player he used to be"? I think you're too caught up on stats. Tim is hurting but he's still pretty damn good on one leg.

1Parker1
03-25-2006, 07:07 PM
I don't get it. You think Tim shouldn't be our #1 option in the playoffs because he's been playing a little below average due to an injury, yet Manu is excused for the same thing and still deserves to be the #1 option?? :rolleyes

Besides, it doesn't work like that with our team. As Spurschick said, it depends on the game, on the opponent, and who's playing well that game, etc. It doesn't have to be something that's set in stone.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-25-2006, 07:08 PM
I think this is dumb. Tim is not the first option on offense currently... but the offense does go THRU him everytime. Don't you understand? Tim gets the ball and he's the quarterback that sets everything up, everyone comes to him and Tim finds the open man; this sets up a series of passes that the defenders try to hurry to catch up to... but defenders don't run as fast as a pass goes, so someone always gets an easier shot attempt... THANX TO TIM.

Another thing, "He's not even half the player he used to be"? I think you're too caught up on stats. Tim is hurting but he's still pretty damn good on one leg.

he's damn good on one leg but the duncan with 2 legs was twice the player. tim's hurting right now and its affected him in virtually every category. i think its time we let manu take the reigns (health permitting). I'm not saying freeze tim out, of course we need him, but 4 down should be deleted from the playbook this playoffs if his PF is still bugging him

sa_butta
03-25-2006, 07:10 PM
That's one of the great things about our team, we don't have to depend on just one guy to be our #1 option. I think it will depend on the game. Whoever is hot should be our #1 option, and that is more than likely to be 2 or 3 people at any one time.^^^
YEAH WHAT SHE SAID!!!

ALVAREZ6
spurschick is right.

There is no #1 option.

Whoever is hot in the current game, keep shooting. That's pretty much the best option. Whether it's TP, Manu, Tim, Finley...Barry. Get the ball to the guy who is feelin it.

Amuseddaysleeper
I don't get it. You think Tim shouldn't be our #1 option in the playoffs because he's been playing a little below average due to an injury, yet Manu is excused for the same thing and still deserves to be the #1 option?? :rolleyes

Besides, it doesn't work like that with our team. As Spurschick said, it depends on the game, on the opponent, and who's playing well that game, etc. It doesn't have to be something that's set in stone.

manu can still take over a game. i think his health has greatly improved and come playoff time he should be fully healthy whereas Tim could most likely still have the PF. however, i dont think we should force feed manu if he's cold. of course give it tot he player who's hot during the game but I dont think we should automatically make tim the #1 option with his injury as we have in years passed.

ALVAREZ6
03-25-2006, 07:14 PM
of course give it tot he player who's hot during the game but I dont think we should automatically make tim the #1 option with his injury as we have in years passed.
They won't.

Tim hasn't been shooting as much recently, which shows that we don't need to depend on him.

Whenever TP or Manu are hot, they are pretty much unstoppable. If they both are in the same game, the other team is screwed.

With all of our depth, I am going to count on either Finley, Barry, or Horry exploding off the bench. No, it's not something we should rely on, but it will eventually happen.

Game 5.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-25-2006, 07:16 PM
They won't.

Tim hasn't been shooting as much recently, which shows that we don't need to depend on him.

Whenever TP or Manu are hot, they are pretty much unstoppable. If they both are in the same game, the other team is screwed.

With all of our depth, I am going to count on either Finley, Barry, or Horry exploding off the bench. No, it's not something we should rely on, but it will eventually happen.

Game 5.

interesting take. I know I'm one of the most pessimistic people on this board but to be honest I'm more confident in this team during this tiem of the season than ever before this year. I think we'll make it to the finals just fine but my worry is detroit. we barely got by them last year and with a weaker tim to go along with our much weaker rebounding and lack of HCA, that part of the playoffs scares me :oops

also i should rephrase i think manu should be our "primary" option but of course, whoevers hot deserves the ball

1Parker1
03-25-2006, 07:22 PM
manu can still take over a game. i think his health has greatly improved and come playoff time he should be fully healthy whereas Tim could most likely still have the PF.

Manu Stats Past 5 GAMES:

Hornets: 0-5, 5 points
Suns: 4-9, 14 points
Warriors: 3-8, 10 points
Nuggets, 8-14, 26 points
Blazers: 5-9, 16 points

Average: 14.2 ppg last 5 games

Duncan Stats Past 5 GAMES:

Hornets: 6-9, 17 points
Suns: 9-17, 20 points
Warriors: 10-18, 21 points
Nuggets: 8-18, 22 points
Blazers: 3-7, 6 points

Average: 17.2 ppg last 5 games

I'd say Tim's feeling pretty good recently also. :smokin

ALVAREZ6
03-25-2006, 07:22 PM
Detroit will be tough, but ANYTHING can happen.

Miami could explode, Detroit could suffer an injury...there's an endless list of things that might happen, and they aren't even worth worrying about until they actually happen.

We have to reach the finals, step by step, game by game.

No need to worry about what might happen, until it becomes a serious threat.

who knows what will happen.

1Parker1
03-25-2006, 07:23 PM
As long as Tim Duncan is a starter on this team, no way will he be a "3rd option" come playoff time.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-25-2006, 07:23 PM
Manu Stats Past 5 GAMES:

Hornets: 0-5, 5 points
Suns: 4-9, 14 points
Warriors: 3-8, 10 points
Nuggets, 8-14, 26 points
Blazers: 5-9, 16 points

Average: 14.2 ppg last 5 games

Duncan Stats Past 5 GAMES:

Hornets: 6-9, 17 points
Suns: 9-17, 20 points
Warriors: 10-18, 21 points
Nuggets: 8-18, 22 points
Blazers: 3-7, 6 points

Average: 17.2 ppg last 5 games

I'd say Tim's feeling pretty good recently also. :smokin

not only does the girl have an incredibly nice rack, she knows her b-ball as well

touche' :drunk :spin

ALVAREZ6
03-25-2006, 07:25 PM
I don't see why the fuck it matters.

"1st option", "2nd option", "3rd option"... they have no meening, or at least they shouldn't.

All that matters is that the Spurs win.

SenorSpur
03-25-2006, 07:33 PM
The game is played inside out. If you don't believe it, see the historic troubles and struggles of teams like Phx and the Mavs

boutons_
03-25-2006, 07:35 PM
"we don't have to depend on just one guy to be our #1 option"

yes, we do. Tim crippled with PF will be Spurs crippled. People have been saying the Spurs are horrible on second of B2B because Tim is so bad on the 2nd night.

Tim looked extremely bouncy and light-footed last night to start the game, I thought he was gonna have an MVP game, then kinda disappeared with a single-single.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-25-2006, 07:36 PM
"we don't have to depend on just one guy to be our #1 option"

yes, we do. Tim crippled with PF will be Spurs crippled. People have been saying the Spurs are horrible on second of B2B because Tim is so bad on the 2nd night.

Tim looked extremely bouncy and light-footed last night to start the game, I thought he was gonna have an MVP game, then kinda disappeared with a single-single.

boutons once again!

the game is played inside out but when your inside game is hurting terribbly you shouldn't force the issue

td4mvp21
03-25-2006, 08:57 PM
I think Tim should. We all saw what happened when he wasn't two years ago. And if he's better, than why not? We are NOT going to repeat if he isn't our number 1. Manu and Tony will have to chip in though considerably, but I definitely want Tim as our number 1 option.

ChumpDumper
03-25-2006, 08:58 PM
Tim is still double teamed whenever he gets the ball, so he still gets touches.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-25-2006, 09:02 PM
I think Tim should. We all saw what happened when he wasn't two years ago. And if he's better, than why not? We are NOT going to repeat if he isn't our number 1. Manu and Tony will have to chip in though considerably, but I definitely want Tim as our number 1 option.

you mean going 30 minutes a game during the laker series without an FG. that wasn't his team mates fault, that was purely tim's

td4mvp21
03-25-2006, 09:16 PM
you mean going 30 minutes a game during the laker series without an FG. that wasn't his team mates fault, that was purely tim's

I never said that. Parker was our number 1 option that year and look what happened.

mrpach
03-25-2006, 09:57 PM
there's a good point there, but i think pop wont even call for 4 down, except in very specific situations

Warlord23
03-25-2006, 10:39 PM
Although Tony and Manu are excellent offensive options, Tim is still the centerpiece. Teams still double him because his footwork is good enough to score/draw fouls on single coverage. He's the one that sets the high pick best for Tony or Manu.

Tim's presence ensures that our outside shooters get good looks. When Tim is doubled he invariably finds the open man. Also, Tim's man doesn't leave him to collapse when Manu/Tony drive the lane; hence Manu/Tony are able to find the open shooter whose man sags off them.

Personally, I think the Spurs' offensive success ultimately depends on their outside shooting. Tim will get the double team and Tony/Manu will get past their man. It is then upto the shooters. The last time we got bounced out of the playoffs, the Lakers packed the paint and dared Turkoglu and co. to beat them, which they couldn't. Horry, Barry, Finley, Bruce, NVE and Beno are the ones who'll make the difference.

v2freak
03-26-2006, 12:06 AM
TD is at the age that is considered a player's prime. He is not the DRob of age 36 just yet

aaronstampler
03-26-2006, 01:18 AM
I see no need to change what worked last year and most of this year, TP's got the ball, but the offense runs through Tim on most sets. The first six mins of the 2nd quarter, with Beno and Brent in, Manu becomes the 1st option, but the three of them really work well together.

In the 4th quarter, in close games, Manu becomes the quarterback at the top of the key, and it's his show to drive and kick and make the decisions. I still trust him in crunch time more than TP. Until Parker can prove he can do it in May and June, I'd rather have him be the 2 guard in the 4th quarter...

TOP_MODEL_M
03-26-2006, 11:18 AM
Everything begins and ends with Tim and as long as he's on the team it shall be that way. He doesn't need to go 30 and 20 for us to win because we have a lot of great players who can share the responsibilites.
My point is that Timmy's one of the very few players who are able to make everyone around them better and his stats don't reflect what he means to this franchise. There are players with better stats that Timmy, or equal, but there's no comparison between them whatsoever.
Timmy is going to be the first option come playoff time.Been there done that.

gameFACE
03-26-2006, 11:45 AM
I agree everything begins and ends with Timmy. Using last year as an example Manu took over many games where he was the #1 option and challenged Tim for Finals MVP. Tim still came through clutch in the Finals Game 7 though. This year might be a good year for Tony to prove he can get past other teams shutting him down after the first two games of a series. But I guarantee that Tim will come though as the #1 option in several games.

The game is inside out as someone said and it would not be good to change to another system. Players like Finley, Barry, etc. work as shooters in that current system

Jimcs50
03-26-2006, 12:16 PM
The offense is good because of TD.

Take him off the team and the Spurs are lottery bound....nuff said.

TD sets up the rest of the team because of the double teams he attracts.

Do you think that we would have all those open looks if we did not have TD running the offense through him with our inside out game???

This thread is ludicrous.

TDfan2007
03-26-2006, 01:46 PM
The offense is good because of TD.

Take him off the team and the Spurs are lottery bound....nuff said.

TD sets up the rest of the team because of the double teams he attracts.

Do you think that we would have all those open looks if we did not have TD running the offense through him with our inside out game???

This thread is ludicrous.

Well finally someone said it.

Sportman
03-26-2006, 01:54 PM
As a manu`s fan who became a spurs fans because of manu, i am honest and i will always say tim MUST be the first option of this team, beyond he is not playing as the OLD TIM, he still know what to do so that spurs can win. Obviusly spurs need from Tony and Manu, but we dont have to forget that tim is STILL the soul of this team. Yes i know manu and tony give great energy to this team, but tim still know what to do during the difficult moments for that reason he is one of the best 50 players of the NBA story.

UtownSpur
03-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Tim has to be the first option. His passing creates the open looks for the outside shooters. Even if he is not scoring he is still the player the opposing team has to stop. This frees up Tony and Manu to do their thing.

Kori Ellis
03-26-2006, 02:31 PM
I never said that. Parker was our number 1 option that year and look what happened.

:wtf

Parker was never the number1 option that year.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-26-2006, 02:44 PM
Everyone talks about nothing being different from last year, while conveniently overlooking the fact that Duncan's basically a shell of himself right now with the plantar fascitis.

Making Tim the end all be all for our offense this year in the playoffs, when he's operating on a bum wheel, is suicide.

Kori Ellis
03-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Making Tim the end all be all for our offense this year in the playoffs, when he's operating on a bum wheel, is suicide.

Being the number 1 option doesn't mean being the "end all be all" .. it means the being the beginning.

td4mvp21
03-26-2006, 04:43 PM
:wtf

Parker was never the number1 option that year.

03-04? in the playoffs? eh maybe im wrong, at least it appeared that way to me.

Rummpd
03-26-2006, 10:38 PM
See Sonics game tonight - Duncan of old and others also stepping up = 3 headed monster!

Amuseddaysleeper
03-26-2006, 10:54 PM
See Sonics game tonight - Duncan of old and others also stepping up = 3 headed monster!

and despite all that the spurs are still struggling against a LOTTERY team and getting outrebounding for the billionth time! :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss

but tim def. looks superb tonight