PDA

View Full Version : Game of Week, Pistons, Mavs who to root for?

Rummpd
03-25-2006, 09:43 PM
My take is that if somehow the Nets beat the Pistons tommorow root for the Mavs as Spurs already a half game up on them and a tiebreaker and Mavs end up on the road alot. It is possible that the Spurs if they continue to win would only be another Pistons loss to break the head to head to incredibly lead in the HCA. Spurs also have a big one vs. the Mavs at home coming up.

However, I can see the logic of rooting for all the Mavs losses to square away the WCF 1 seed first and worry about that for now realizing that catching the Pistons from 3 behind (with tie breaker) is a very tall order.

Who is rooting for whom next week?

Winnipeg_Spur
03-25-2006, 09:50 PM
I've been looking forward to this game for at least a month, someone's got to lose! Personally, I'm inclined to root for Detroit (first time this season, yay) just because I think Pop only wants HCA in the West, and once he gets it, he'll rest some players the rest of the way, making it tough to catch the Pistons.

Leetonidas
03-25-2006, 09:56 PM
We can beat Dallas in Dallas. Detroit is crazy hard at home. It's not impossible, but I'd rather have the Spurs play with HCA. That, and the series will be no less than 6 games, so I want to see the Spurs win on our floor.

bdubya
03-25-2006, 09:57 PM
Interesting question...which are you all gonna root for?

-the team you respect?
-the team you fear?
-or the Dallas team?

Amuseddaysleeper
03-25-2006, 10:19 PM
We can beat Dallas in Dallas. Detroit is crazy hard at home. It's not impossible, but I'd rather have the Spurs play with HCA. That, and the series will be no less than 6 games, so I want to see the Spurs win on our floor.

exactly

dallas wont be a problem, any sign of detroit looking less than invincicle is a good sign for us cuz without hca we'll need any break we can get

Dunc
03-25-2006, 10:39 PM
Something I've been thinking about recently.... I think that some people might be underestimating the benefits of having the #1 seed in the West. Most likely, the 4 seed will have to face either the Clippers or the Grizz (not sure who's in the 5 spot right now), and both of those teams can be very dangerous, and while I don't expect they would take a series from the Spurs or Mavs, they could make it 5 or 6 very physical long games. Then, assuming the #1 and #4 seeds are victorious, you've got what *should* be the West finals (if only). Once that series is done, you've still most likely got to get through the Suns, and that's just to get to the Finals.

The #1 seed will probably have to play the Lakers (I expect them to drop behind the Kings), which should scare the hell out of the Mavs, so I'm sure they're praying for the #4 right now, lol. But really, the #4 spot could be a really difficult seeding to survive from, imo. That said, if I'm a Spurs fan, I'm rooting for the Pistons (ironically, I'm not a Spurs fan, and I'm going for the Pistons, lol). Might as well wrap up the #1 seed in the West if you can, since it'll be really tough to catch Detroit. Not impossible, just unlikely to pick up the necessary 3 games. Any takes on that?

ABDENOUR POWER
03-25-2006, 10:40 PM
I'll be rooting for the Pistons. ;)

ShoogarBear
03-25-2006, 11:43 PM
Spurs vs. Mavs will be decided by the Spurs' health and execution. We know they can win at the AAC, or any other arena in the West.

Spurs vs. Pistons may, like last year, eventually boil down to HCA for game 7.

This is an easy call. Go for the Mavs.

mikejones99
03-25-2006, 11:46 PM
I'll be rooting for overtime and a Brawl that spills into the stands again, hopefulling injuring some of the criminal fans that need to be beat down. Odds about 200 to 1. :blah

Sense
03-25-2006, 11:53 PM
I don't care anymore...

Duncanfan
03-26-2006, 12:03 AM
The #1 seed will probably have to play the Lakers (I expect them to drop behind the Kings), which should scare the hell out of the Mavs, so I'm sure they're praying for the #4 right now, lol. But really, the #4 spot could be a really difficult seeding to survive from, imo.

Whoever said Dallas is afraid of the Lakers? The Mavs are not afraid of anyone.. THEY JUST RESPECT THE PLAYOFF TEAMS OF THE WEST. They know that they're not yet at the same level Detroit and San Antonio are but they certainly are not afraid of anyone. Why would they be afraid? Do you really think Kobe will keep scoring 62 on them each game of the playoffs!? And last time I checked, they wasted Kobe in their third meeting of the season.

As far as San Antonio and Detroit goes, the Mavs admit that they're just not yet there.. I always see it in the write ups at NBA.com. They respect the Spurs and the Pistons but they believe they can compete against the two teams. NOW.. there's a big difference between BELIEVING YOU CAN COMPETE and actually BEING COMPETITIVE. You can believe you're competitive actually play like shit.. or go out there and prove you're competitive. THAT my friends, we shall see in the playoffs. SPURS > MAVS, but just the fact that they believe in each other, the system and in what they could achieve this year could me the difference between getting swept.. losing but giving the other team a hard time and actually going all the way.

Dunc
03-26-2006, 12:21 AM
Whoever said Dallas is afraid of the Lakers?

Totally kidding, dude. Sorry bout that. I know the Mavs aren't afraid of the Lakers. My primary point was that whoever has the #1 seed and thus likely matches up against the Lakers will probably have an easier time of it than the #4 seed will against the Clips or the Grizz in the first round, which could have an effect on the next series (injuries, tiredness, what have you). I'm not dissing the Mavs, or even comparing the Spurs to the Mavs or to the Pistons or anything like that, I'm comparing the difficulty of the path to the WCF for the #1 to the difficulty that the #4 will have.

mavsfan1000
03-26-2006, 12:27 AM
Detroit would look pretty beatable with 4 of their players out also. :rolleyes The only time the mavs were healthy against the spurs they beat them by 19.

Vinnie_Johnson
03-26-2006, 12:50 AM
I'll be rooting for overtime and a Brawl that spills into the stands again, hopefulling injuring some of the criminal fans that need to be beat down. Odds about 200 to 1. :blah

Nice way to stereo type :depressed

Leetonidas
03-26-2006, 01:01 AM
Detroit would look pretty beatable with 4 of their players out also. :rolleyes The only time the mavs were healthy against the spurs they beat them by 19.

So that was the time the Spurs weren't healthy? Oh wait, they're still not.

Leetonidas
03-26-2006, 01:04 AM
exactly

dallas wont be a problem, any sign of detroit looking less than invincicle is a good sign for us cuz without hca we'll need any break we can get

I don't think Detroit is anything near invincible. This Spurs team is very good, and when they want to play, they're un-freakin'-stopabble. A lot of the Spurs losses are on B2B's, or against lesser teams because the Spurs play down to their opponents sometimes and get bored. The Spurs could easily be 64-5 if not for those facts, and if that were the case, you'd be going on about how the Spurs are unstoppable rather than how they need HCA to beat the Pistons.

spurs=bling
03-26-2006, 01:05 AM
Nice way to stereo type :depressed
:lol

aaronstampler
03-26-2006, 01:08 AM
Is this a serious question? I'm rooting for the Mavs, definitely. The only other team in the NBA I respect are the Pistons.

carina_gino20
03-26-2006, 01:20 AM
other than the spurs, the pistons have a system that i respect. but of course we want to catch up with them for HCA so i hope the Mavs win.

Sense
03-26-2006, 01:38 AM

Weren't they short?

I think Ginobili didn't play and Howard didn't play for you guys on that game...

Amuseddaysleeper
03-26-2006, 02:43 AM
I don't think Detroit is anything near invincible. This Spurs team is very good, and when they want to play, they're un-freakin'-stopabble. A lot of the Spurs losses are on B2B's, or against lesser teams because the Spurs play down to their opponents sometimes and get bored. The Spurs could easily be 64-5 if not for those facts, and if that were the case, you'd be going on about how the Spurs are unstoppable rather than how they need HCA to beat the Pistons.

yeah but its not the case at all, not even close, the spurs are PITIFUL on b2b, and luckily there are no b2b's in the playoffs for the most part, the pistons still are a sizeable amount ahead of the spurs. true they havent looked stellar lately but if a 7 game series started right it'd be the piston who would probably win. the spurs should coulda woulda done a lot of things this season they havent while detroit has as they are motivated (like taking care of homecourt for the playoffs) detroit has only lost twice as home all season, with them having hca its gonna be a solid advantage to have during a game 6 and 7

mikejones99
03-26-2006, 02:53 AM
Stereo types are usually true. Besisdes if Miami or Indiana make finals then Spurs have home court.

midgetonadonkey
03-26-2006, 03:00 AM
I root for the Mavs. I love watching the Pistons lose.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-26-2006, 03:06 AM
Stereo types are usually true. Besisdes if Miami or Indiana make finals then Spurs have home court.

i'm hoping miami makes if only for us to have a much easier time in the finals, even without hca against pistons the spurs still have a good shot, anything can happen, but i just believe they truly are the team to be beat, they've earned that title this season, so kudos to them

mavsfan1000
03-26-2006, 03:41 AM
Weren't they short?

I think Ginobili didn't play and Howard didn't play for you guys on that game...
Dallas is a deep team in every position except small forward. Playing Van Horn instead of Howard is a big difference. The spurs had Finley and Barry to play when Ginobili was out so they didn't lose that much. The mavs should've won that game but Van Choke turned it over in the end of the game giving points away to the spurs. :pctoss

Carrera_4S
03-26-2006, 04:19 AM
I root for the Mavs. I love watching the Pistons lose.

If that's the case, you have obviously been QUITE unhappy all season.

Sense
03-26-2006, 04:26 AM
Dallas is a deep team in every position except small forward. Playing Van Horn instead of Howard is a big difference. The spurs had Finley and Barry to play when Ginobili was out so they didn't lose that much. The mavs should've won that game but Van Choke turned it over in the end of the game giving points away to the spurs. :pctoss

Shoulda, woulda, coulda....

and I thought Finley sucked?

Rummpd
03-26-2006, 08:43 AM
Thoughts:

Philadelphia Inquirer Sunday edition lists "Tues game between the Detroit Pistons and the Dallas Mavericks as possible preview of finals and matchup of two of the NBAs best defenses".*

*I for one still am not willing to give the Mavericks that much respect on the defensive side of the ball, maybe I am wrong but Spurs scored at will on them last game and in turn shut them down. I also do not think the Mavs can come out the West - top two teams in my view = Suns and Spurs and Spurs should come out again in 6-7 games.

Therefore, after all that wierd logic let the Mavs beat the Pistons on Tuesday and give the Spurs an increased shot at overall HCA.

himat
03-26-2006, 09:59 AM

The pistons losses have been exactly the same. Either on back to back's or to crapp teams. The pistons though are the only team in the nba with an above 50% record on back to back games. I guess the pistons have to win those games to get HCA because the nba gave them 20 back to back sets! Thats almost half the season.

FreshPrince22
03-26-2006, 10:20 AM

The only reason anyone is even giving Dallas a chance to come out of the west is beacuse of Duncan's PF.

Here's something to note to figure out who you'd rather face on the road... The Pistons have yet to lose a game at the Palace in regulation this season. They are 30-2, with the 2 losses both being in OT. And yes, the Pistons have the most Back-to-backs of any team in the league this year (and last year). 22 to be exact.

SpursWoman
03-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Interesting question...which are you all gonna root for?

-the team you respect?
-the team you fear?
-or the Dallas team?

TOP_MODEL_M
03-26-2006, 11:34 AM
I like the Pistons a lot but I'll be rooting for _allas.It'd be difficult to erase their lead for the HCA but judging on the last game I saw - against the Pacers - there's a chance.Detroit didn't impress me a bit in this game as well as in their last few games.They're far from the form and intensity of playing from the beginning of the season.

Jimcs50
03-26-2006, 12:13 PM
Spurs control own destiny against Dallas, so I am pulling for Dallas to beat Detroit.

Also pulling for NJ to beat Detroit today.

:elephant

boutons_
03-26-2006, 12:36 PM
The Spurs' disastrous B2B woes have put Finals HCA, and a fantastically dominant season record, out of reach.

Pistons, with 14 games remaining, are +3 Finals HCA L's ahead of Spurs, with 13 games remaining.

Pistons would have to go:

1. 11 - 3, while the Spurs go 13-0. or

2. 10 - 4, while the Spurs go 12 - 1.

etc.

Extremely unlikely that the Spurs can catch the Pistons.
The only serious teams left for the Pistons are:

Nets
Mavs
Suns
@Heat
Pacers

I have only a slight preference that Pistons lose, but I guess it's better that the Mavs lose to give the Spurs some more breathing room in WC HCA.

bdubya
03-26-2006, 12:38 PM
Also pulling for NJ to beat Detroit today.

Thanks. (I was afraid that particular issue might get overlooked, and karma is such a bitch with things like that, letting this thread go without a mention of the Nets woulda been asking for trouble). I think this one is going to be tighter than anyone expects; Tayshaun usually has a tough time covering Jefferson, and I think we'll need to see a fair amount of Delfino's defense to keep RJ from doing some serious damage.

JamStone
03-26-2006, 12:52 PM

In only four Detroit losses were the Pistons really outplayed by the other team: @ Dallas the 9th game of the season on a second of a back-to-back, @ Cleveland on New Year's eve, @ Denver, and @ Washington. All road games. All their respective best game of their seasons.

The other losses were on back-to-backs, in overtime, or in games where Detroit had leads in the second half and Detroit got bored.

If not for those facts, Detroit would be 64-4. But, guess what? They're no 64-4. And, the Spurs are not 64-5.

Speaking in hypotheticals of what the Spurs' record "should" be is stupid.

Neither the Spurs nor the Pistons are unstoppable. And, the logic in your quote was stupid.

ShoogarBear
03-26-2006, 12:52 PM
Of course, if the Mavs actually do beat the Pistons in Detroit, it's going to be like "oh, shit, the Mavs are gonna be tough, now they got their confidence!"

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
03-26-2006, 12:55 PM
Of course, if the Mavs actually do beat the Pistons in Detroit, it's going to be like "oh, shit, the Mavs are gonna be tough, now they got their confidence!"

It'll be because the starters play too many minutes...

JamStone
03-26-2006, 12:55 PM

I Tony gets an STD from Eva Longoria using an infected dildo on him.

I hope Tim Duncan's foot gets gangrene and needs to be amputated.

I hope Manu pursues his dream of being a Las Vegas female impersonator.

I hope mikejones99 bursts a bloodclot while jerking off.

Odds about 1 million to 1 on the first three, 7 to 2 on the last one.

SpursWoman
03-26-2006, 12:59 PM
:lol :lol

I don't know who to cheer for, honestly, as far as affecting records are concerned. The good thing is (for a Spurs fan, anyway) that they both can't win. :spin

Rummpd
03-26-2006, 01:47 PM
Do the Mavs ever lose a game, playoff series, fishing lures (for their annual early summer trip), whatever; where they don't have scream about the unfairness of it????

Just wondering?

Leetonidas
03-26-2006, 01:50 PM
In only four Detroit losses were the Pistons really outplayed by the other team: @ Dallas the 9th game of the season on a second of a back-to-back, @ Cleveland on New Year's eve, @ Denver, and @ Washington. All road games. All their respective best game of their seasons.

The other losses were on back-to-backs, in overtime, or in games where Detroit had leads in the second half and Detroit got bored.

If not for those facts, Detroit would be 64-4. But, guess what? They're no 64-4. And, the Spurs are not 64-5.

Speaking in hypotheticals of what the Spurs' record "should" be is stupid.

Neither the Spurs nor the Pistons are unstoppable. And, the logic in your quote was stupid.

I was mearly trying to get Amused to stop being so pessemistic and kissing the Piston's asses.

mavsfan1000
03-26-2006, 02:49 PM
Do the Mavs ever lose a game, playoff series, fishing lures (for their annual early summer trip), whatever; where they don't have scream about the unfairness of it????

Just wondering?
Only when they feel they get cheated. The refs are a consistent on each call. That is consistently bad. Add that to the injuries and you see why the spurs won last game against the mavs. The mavs would welcome a 5 on 5 game as long as the 6th man doesn't show up.

Leetonidas
03-26-2006, 03:37 PM
Only when they feel they get cheated. The refs are a consistent on each call. That is consistently bad. Add that to the injuries and you see why the spurs won last game against the mavs. The mavs would welcome a 5 on 5 game as long as the 6th man doesn't show up.

Would you just SHUT THE FUCK UP already with your fucking excuses? God damn, all you do is bitch, like you're fucking team.