PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' Ginobili showing reckless style of last season

TMTTRIO
03-26-2006, 09:46 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA032606.1C.BKNspurs.ginobili.2e52f44.html

Spurs' Ginobili showing reckless style of last season

Web Posted: 03/26/2006 12:00 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

SEATTLE — Manu Ginobili's jump shot has started to fall. His confidence has begun to return and, along with it, his recklessness.

There was the no-look pass he threw to Tony Parker in Denver. The behind-the-back dribble he used to freeze Andre Miller.

On Friday night in Portland, Ginobili bounced into the lane to grab his own rebound then hopped back up to toss in a runner — the same type of shot he has watched slide off the rim time and again this season.

The Spurs have noticed the same changes. In the past two games, Ginobili has looked like a different player. Or, more specifically, he's begun to resemble the frenetic, game-changing force everyone remembers from last season.

"I don't want to get too happy, too confident, too overexcited just because I play two good games," said Ginobili, who returns to KeyArena tonight for the first time since he helped eliminate Seattle in last season's Western Conference semifinals. "And, remember, we lost (in Denver).

"But it is good that I'm starting to feel better."

Ginobili has reason to be cautious. Every time he's taken a step forward this season, he's usually come down on someone's foot. The injuries to his right foot and, most recently, his left leg cost him 14 games and his timing.

"In that sense, it's been a frustrating year for him," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He's kind of a rhythm player. He has to be on a roll. He doesn't want to sit then play, sit then play."

Which is why Popovich allowed Ginobili to play Tuesday against Golden State even though he had missed the previous game after getting kicked in the left calf.

Ginobili struggled with his shot against the Warriors, but he was determined to lose the tentativeness that had uncharacteristically slipped into his game, at times, this season. Late in the second quarter, he pinballed off three defenders on his way to the basket. He took at least two shots to the head, twice was knocked off his dribble and regained the ball each time during his trip to the basket.

Ginobili missed the shot, but considering he didn't draw a foul, getting to the rim was a success in itself.

Although Ginobili sometimes has difficultly maintaining his energy in the second game of back-to-backs, he had one of his best performances of the season the next night in Denver. He scored 26 points, led the Spurs back from an 18-point deficit and continued to attack despite the Nuggets' attempts to flatten him.

His aggressiveness also was infectious. Tim Duncan settled into a rhythm, consistently making his outside shot for one of the few times this season. The rest of the Spurs also picked up their effort.

"Guys that are that active make a team stay excited and stay focused," Popovich said. "So (Ginobili) is our best energy guy in that regard."

As a result, Popovich thinks the Spurs need Ginobili "in tip-top form" if they are going to have a serious chance at defending their championship.

"It's like saying Richard Hamilton or Jason Terry don't have to really shoot well and (Detroit and Dallas will) still be OK," Popovich said. "To really go deep in the playoffs and have an opportunity to win it all, everybody's got to be playing top-notch basketball."

Ginobili, who had 16 points and four assists in 26 minutes against the Trail Blazers, has made 6 of 11 3-pointers in the past two games. With teams more intent than ever to pack in their defense against him, he will need to continue to consistently hit his outside shot to open lanes to the basket.

"We obviously count on Manu to do so many things for us and create so many things," Brent Barry said. "To see him, physically, start to feel good and, mentally, start to feel confident again in the things he's capable of doing ... that's going to propel us."

Duncan also has looked more aggressive the past couple weeks. Still, Ginobili sees no reason for either of them to get too excited. Yet.

"It's not like we're rolling," he said. "We just had a couple good games.

"We have to keep working, be very humble. We'll try to get as good as we can before the end of April."

ALVAREZ6
03-26-2006, 10:59 AM
good article.

Sportman
03-26-2006, 11:01 AM
It`s good to hear that manu is getting better :spin :spin

1Parker1
03-26-2006, 12:17 PM
Spurs definitly miss Manu's energy. When he's out there making those crazy shots, going after loose balls and steals, driving to the rim and making impossible shots....it brings excitement to the game and that's contagious to the rest of the team. The few games I have seen of the Spurs, it looked like they were almost going through just the motions of playing the game and beating their opponent.

angel_luv
03-26-2006, 12:18 PM
Gino's coming back! :elephant

Budkin
03-26-2006, 01:25 PM
Manu is enjoying his SPAM.

sanman53
03-26-2006, 01:30 PM
I still think it is scary (for others) that we are not even playing "top-notch" ball and we are still leading the West.

Sportman
03-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Yes i agree with your point, that`s true.

samikeyp
03-26-2006, 01:37 PM
I still think it is scary (for others) that we are not even playing "top-notch" ball and we are still leading the West.

Well said.

Sportman
03-26-2006, 01:44 PM
and if somebody was missing the old manu, and now we can see he is coming back, look at this video http://140.116.247.82/gallery/album12/Emanuel_Ginobili

LilMissSPURfect
03-26-2006, 01:50 PM
"hammanu Time"

aaronstampler
03-26-2006, 02:51 PM
I wish he still had the hops he had in those Italian league days... :depressed

Supergirl
03-26-2006, 07:46 PM
Steve Kerr summed it up best a few months ago: When Manu is out, the Spurs are just not as creative (and not as good) offensively.

carina_gino20
03-26-2006, 08:33 PM
I wish he still had the hops he had in those Italian league days... :depressed

yeah...he played some crazy basketball then. still, i think he has settled into a more "controlled" (ahem ahem) type of basketball. if he did half of what he was doing in the italian league in the NBa now, Pop is going to retire prematurely. :lol