PDA

View Full Version : D-League expansion to include CBA teams?

ChumpDumper
03-27-2006, 11:12 AM
CBA's future still clouded
Steelheads owner continues searching for investors

BY AL HAMNIK
[email protected]

This story ran on nwitimes.com on Monday, March 27, 2006 12:03 AM CST

GARY | By April 5 or 6, the Continental Basketball Association may have undergone a major facelift, if not a completely new identity.

That was the word circulating at Sunday's Game 2 of the CBA Finals involving Gary and Yakama.

According to league sources, the nine-team National Basketball Developmental League is interested in adding the CBA's Sioux Falls Skyforce, Dakota Wizards, Idaho Stampede and the new Colorado entry which is scheduled to begin play in 2006-07.

That would leave the CBA with four teams: Gary, the Michigan Mayhem, Rockford Lightning and Yakama Sun Kings. But league sources have also indicated the CBA is looking at San Jose, Reno, Grand Forks, Mont., and Bend, Oregon -- plus two eastern cities -- as possible additions.

"Obviously, the NBDL would like to have the more financially stable franchises," said CBA Commissioner Gary Hunter, in attendance at Sunday's Finals. "I'm very optimistic and would be shocked if the CBA didn't start its 61st season. This league has been knocked back on its heels more times than I can count, has had tremendous ups and downs, shocks and surprises, and has bounced back.

"It's been proven that the CBA has more call-ups, better attendance, and is more profitable than the D-League. If you compare us to other basketball minor leagues -- the ABA, NBDL -- we're very proud of where we are. I'm told by NBA scouts our talent is as good or better than it's ever been."

Asked about Gary's CBA future and well aware of its financial struggles, Hunter said: "I think there has been some potential political fallout (with outgoing Gary Mayor Scott King) and if that can be cleared up, I'm confident they'll find new investors."

Steelheads owner Jewell Harris Sr. said Hunter didn't have all his facts straight.

"There is no political fallout anymore. He's gone," said Harris. "(Acting mayor) Dozier Allen (Jr.) and Rudy Clay are both supporters of the Gary Steelheads and understand the (financial) commitment that needs to be made."

When pressed as to whether or not he plans to sell the team, Harris responded: "The Gary Steelheads, with or without me, will be here next year."

As part of the D-league, maybe?

"I'm not going there," said Harris.

Topping his list of possible investors is the Gary-based Mamon Powers & Sons Construction Company.

"To what extent other investors are willing to come in, I have no idea at this point," said Harris. "Would I sell if they wanted to buy the whole thing? If the commitment were on the same level as mine for this community, I probably would sell."

Harris also revealed his son, chief counsel Jewell Harris Jr., would prefer to join the D-league.

"But that would be a fight with me," he said.

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2006/03/27/sports/pro_sports/d8b0bbc8972bc4d78625713e0016f9f3.txt
--------------------------------------------

There is going to be a crapwad of movement in the minors this summer. Tim Hardaway's ABA team pulled out of that league before their playoffs and has already petitioned to join the D-League as well.

samikeyp
03-27-2006, 12:18 PM
the CBA...something else Isiah Thomas screwed up!

Vinnie_Johnson
03-27-2006, 01:50 PM
the CBA...something else Isiah Thomas screwed up!

:lol :lol :spin

Kori Ellis
03-27-2006, 01:53 PM
According to league sources, the nine-team National Basketball Developmental League is interested in adding the CBA's Sioux Falls Skyforce, Dakota Wizards, Idaho Stampede and the new Colorado entry which is scheduled to begin play in 2006-07.

I had already read in a CBA forum (yes, I was reading a CBA forum :lol) about Idaho but I didn't know they were trying to get all of those teams to the DLeague.

They should just do ChumpDumper's idea from years ago and combine the CBA and DLeague to make a real farm system for the NBA.

ChumpDumper
03-27-2006, 02:04 PM
It's alot more complicated now that so many individual ownership groups are involved. It would've been easier if the NBA still owned all the D-League teams and Zeke owned the CBA. I can certainly understand the NBA's cherry-picking the most successful franchises and the new one for geographic reasons. They might as well have included Yakima if they are going to be travelling to Bakersfield also.

I'm interested to see how the Colorado franchise works out. It's like having the Toros play in Universal City. Their facility is pretty awesome for the minors at any rate.

ChumpDumper
03-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Dakota Wizards withdraw from CBA. (http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2006/03/29/news/topnews/112371.txt)

ChumpDumper
04-01-2006, 03:03 PM
An OCD-League team? Now were talking!

Anaheim, NBA Development League ready to ink deal
Ten-member team would play in the Convention Center Arena.

By MIRA JANG
The Orange County Register

ANAHEIM – The city is scheduled to finalize its lease agreement with the NBA Development League by early next week, setting the stage for the arrival of the first development league team on the West Coast.

The team, which would be owned and named by a consortium of individuals, would play their home games at the Anaheim Convention Center Arena.

The season begins in November and runs through April.

AEG Facilities Inc. would act as the booking agent for the 10-member team, which could play up to 26 games at the arena.

link (http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/homepage/abox/article_1081983.php)