Bruno
03-28-2006, 07:54 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0328sunsnb0328.html

Stiff knees frustrate Amaré
Forward may sit out game tonight

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 28, 2006 12:00 AM

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - The game's opening tip went up and Amaré Stoudemire did not.

It wasn't the knees that would not get loose Sunday or Monday that kept him from jumping. He just got caught off guard. But it was a foreboding sign of a night that was a step backward in his return.

Persistent stiffness in both knees has Stoudemire and head athletic trainer Aaron Nelson considering holding Stoudemire out of tonight's game at Milwaukee. Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said the staff will have to do some soul-searching before deciding any change in the starting lineup.

"They say you go through it anyway, but I don't want to feed into it," Stoudemire said. "I'm thinking it's supposed to be getting better and better each day, and it's not. It's just the opposite. We'll see how I feel.

"It's pretty tough on both knees right now. I really want to take my time and get back out there. It (the stiffness) is not a feeling that I want to feel."

After hitting 2 of 7 shots in his second game back Saturday, Stoudemire did not make any of his six shots in 14 scoreless minutes Monday. He had more fouls (three) than rebounds (two).

"It's going to be tough for him," D'Antoni said. "It's tough to get him back to where we need him. It's not easy. It's a long process."

Nelson said the Suns also could reduce Stoudemire's playing time, which has fallen shy of the 20- to 22-minute threshold in his past two games. He played 17 minutes Saturday and 14 Monday.

The problem is that Stoudemire does not get warm until it is time for him to come off the floor because of the medical staff's prescribed cap on his time.

He said he could not warm up his knees at Sunday's practice, Monday's shootaround or Monday's game warm-ups. In the game, he had little lift and barely bent his knees at times when he was walking.

He wore knee sleeves and rode a stationary bike while out of the game to no avail.

"We said from the beginning that there were going to be ups and downs, and this is going to be particularly bad because we're playing four games in five nights and we're traveling," Nelson said.

Nets guard Jason Kidd can relate in part to Stoudemire's battle, having gone through microfracture surgery, too. But Kidd is one of the procedure's biggest success stories, and he did not have the same sort of immediate struggles.

"When I came back, I felt great and was ready to go," Kidd said. "Everybody is different. Amaré is fighting to find that consistency. It is only his third game and he will get comfortable. I wish him the best of luck. I was in that same mode just playing 20 minutes. As much as you want to play more and get into a rhythm and help your teammates, it's hard because you don't want to rush back and reinjure anything that you waited for five or six months.

"The big thing for him is to keep working hard. He is going to be sore. In due time, he will be back to that same level."

CubanMustGo
03-28-2006, 09:21 AM
The problem is that Stoudemire does not get warm until it is time for him to come off the floor because of the medical staff's prescribed cap on his time.

He said he could not warm up his knees at Sunday's practice, Monday's shootaround or Monday's game warm-ups. In the game, he had little lift and barely bent his knees at times when he was walking.

Man, if you are hurting so bad that you can't warm up before a game (or shootarounds) then you don't belong on the floor during crunch time. I admire Amaré for wanting to come back and contribute but this is just asking for trouble.

AZLouis
03-28-2006, 09:53 AM
Man, if you are hurting so bad that you can't warm up before a game (or shootarounds) then you don't belong on the floor during crunch time. I admire Amaré for wanting to come back and contribute but this is just asking for trouble.

Exactly.

Just days before Amare's return to the floor, he was unsure of returning at all this season. He was pessimistic and feeling down about the whole situation.

The talk was 50/50 on him playing a single minute this season.

Then he meets with Colangelo and Amare suits up after the meeting.

Maybe it's just the pains associated with his first real competition since the surgery combined with the unsure feeling of whether his knee can handle the stress or not, but he doesn't look right at all.

Let's not forget that the other knee has fluid build up too.

TDMVPDPOY
03-28-2006, 11:20 AM
i think he should try acupunture :D

From the soundings of his injury, is it worster then TD in 99/01? TD seemed to recover much quicker and had no problems besides lateral movement, but his game is not base on athelectism, so i assume it didnt affect his game much same with KIDD.

Havin him back in there lineup is affecting there team chemistry, like how webber was 03/04

SPURS CHAMPIONSHIP BASKETBALL SPAM

DarkReign
03-28-2006, 11:23 AM
worster

huh?

TDMVPDPOY
03-28-2006, 11:38 AM
huh?

aussie english mate

boutons_
03-28-2006, 12:39 PM
Come, Mike d', get some fuckin brains and prudence, goddammit.

Amare should sit until next year.

If you fuck up his knees and career (a la Grant hill) just for this season, which anyway won't let the Suns out of the WC, a lot of us will never forget it.

You'll be remembered as "the coach who fucked Amare's career".

Look at how Pop's prudence with Tim's knee in 2000 paid off.

TDMVPDPOY
03-28-2006, 01:53 PM
dont compare tims knees to the other softies in the league, td = ironman

last season played with 2bumb ankles this season with PF, his not goin to sit down like kazaam with minor injuries, and heat fans come out complaiinin snaq injured.

Darrin
03-28-2006, 02:38 PM
http://www.rumrill.net/brian/pics/pics4/pics4/vader/darth_vader_vs_obi-wan.jpg
"You should not have come back."

I am not the only one who warned a 23-year-old for coming back from this injury so soon. He didn't need to risk it, and I point to Antonio McDyess playing the last 12 games of the 2001-02 season, only to come back in 2002-03's preseason and bust the cap again.

These are things the Suns shouldn't worry about. They found someone to pick and pop and use in the paint in Tim Thomas. They have the pieces to make a deep playoff run. Coming back this soon, but this late in the season puts their team this season at risk of a playoff upset to a Grizzlies/Nuggets. I realize that Steve Nash isn't getting any younger, but Shawn Marion and Boris Diaw aren't going anywhere soon. Shut it down, and come back in 2006-07 ready to contend for a Championship. Imagine if David Robinson had added a couple of games at the end of the 1996-97 season?

The problem is that Amare is going through training camp right now while the rest of the team is readying for the stretch run. Assuming there are no set-backs, assuming that no knee tendonitis sets up, he still has to scale the mental wall of trusting the knee again. Once he does that, there's his issue of conditioning.

I have not understood this rush to return. I have thought all along that if he didn't have 30-35 games to get ready, the team would be hindered by his return, not helped.

I point to the 2000-01 Blazers, who went from 42-18 before re-signing Rod Strickland, Detlef Schrempf and losing Shawn Kemp to rehab. The team went 8-14 the rest of the season, falling from second in the Conference to seventh, and a first-round sweep to the Lakers. It forever cemented the defining moment of those Blazers teams the 2000 Conference Finals, game 7, 17-point 4th-quarter lead, and they lose the game.

In 2004, the Sacramento Kings ride out to an amazing 43-15 record, not even close, the best record in the Western Conference. Chris Webber returns to the lineup from knee problems, and precedes to disrupt the Kings to pedestrian 12-12 record. They flamed out in the second round for the 2nd year in a row because game seven wasn't on their home-court - they had fallen from the 1st seed to the 4th.

In 2001, the Miami Heat did suprisingly well holding down the small frontline of Brian Grant, Anthony Mason, and Bruce Bowen. 8-4 is how the Heat finished with Mourning back in the lineup, but the third-seeded Heat would fall to the Charlotte Hornets, and not by a small margin (-22.3) in a three-game sweep in the first round.

In all of these cases, we are talking about contending teams with preseason injuries to the best big man on the team. I can't name the last time a franchise player came back to a team with 20 games left and helped them to the NBA Finals. Scottie Pippen needed 44 games to integrate into the 1998 Bulls team after a preseason ankle condition.

In Mourning's case, he was coming back from a kidney disorder; this may have been his last chance at a Championship. The other guys rushed back too soon. They disrupted rotations and team balance. It shouldn't strike you as odd that Thomas and Amare combined for 1-12 shooting in an historically bad offensive output in New Jersey.

Trainwreck2100
03-28-2006, 02:44 PM
He is still recovering from the the defensive stoppers of the Nets.

Oh, Gee!!
03-28-2006, 02:44 PM
What if he permanently loses the ability to bend his knees altogether? That would suck, huh?

nkdlunch
03-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Amare w/out hops = shit. poor guy I really hope they rest him and he gets better

Darrin
03-28-2006, 03:54 PM
Amare w/out hops = shit. poor guy I really hope they rest him and he gets better

They said the same thing about McDyess. He won't be an elite player if he loses his explosion around the basket, but it's not like he'll flunk out of the league. The Suns should've told him to sit out the season.

ALVAREZ6
03-28-2006, 04:01 PM
That sucks for him, if this becomes a nagging injury than that really is bad news.

Amare is like 22 and already one of the best forwards on this planet, and an inury like this has the potential to fuck up his pace and his progression.

cheguevara
03-28-2006, 04:07 PM
They said the same thing about McDyess. He won't be an elite player if he loses his explosion around the basket, but it's not like he'll flunk out of the league. The Suns should've told him to sit out the season.

McDyess is a solid 6th man and can never ever be anything more. that compared to last year's Amare is shit

Darrin
03-28-2006, 04:38 PM
McDyess is a solid 6th man and can never ever be anything more. that compared to last year's Amare is shit

13 points and 18 rebounds off the bench is not shit. Averaging 13 and 8 as a starter with the Pistons is not shit. Shit is what became of Penny Hardaway after he was injured. Shit is what LJ became after his injuries. McDyess isn't elite, but I can name about 10-15 teams he could start and be a crucial member of their team. He's missed a total of 4 games of his Pistons career. He can still work on the block, hit a mid-range shot, and explode on occasion to block a shot. People saw McDyess as pure athleticism before these injuries.

Despot
03-28-2006, 04:40 PM
Amare will be out tonight, and possibly the rest of the season

http://www.nba.com/news/276887.html