PDA

View Full Version : OU's Sampson goes to Indiana

j-6
03-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Kind of an odd hire. He started at Montana Tech and then was at Washington State IIRC before taking over at OU. I bet he's been at OU for 11 or 12 years by now, too.

IU went "out of the family" and it didn't involve Gillespie.
----------------------------------
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2387372

Oklahoma's Kelvin Sampson is expected to leave the school to become the next head coach at Indiana, multiple sources told ESPN.com.

Sampson already told OU athletic director Joe Castiglione of his plans and was scheduled to meet with the Sooner team Tuesday afternoon.

A news conference announcing his hiring at Indiana could take place as early as Wednesday afternoon in Bloomington.

Sampson replaces Mike Davis, who took over for Hall of Fame coach Bob Knight in 2000.

samikeyp
03-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Damn! I thought Kelvin had it pretty sweet at OU.

Willinsa
03-28-2006, 01:52 PM
That is a surprise, I guess since the hoosiers did not get Gillespie they had to go with the 2nd choice.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-28-2006, 02:20 PM
IU went "out of the family" and it didn't involve Gillespie.

It's Gillispie.

And they tried to involve him, he said no thanks. So did Mark Few and Turgeon.

Kelvin was #4 on the list.

sa_butta
03-28-2006, 02:34 PM
Who will be the possible replacements at OU?

j-6
03-28-2006, 02:45 PM
It's Gillispie.

It's also UT. :D

And they tried to involve him, he said no thanks. So did Mark Few and Turgeon.

Kelvin was #4 on the list.

Mark Turgeon, the Wichita State coach, said no? Do you have a link handy?

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Mark Turgeon, the Wichita State coach, said no? Do you have a link handy?

www.markturgeonturneddownindiana.com

I'm on an email list with the same guy who bankrolled half of the new 14 million dollar basketball practice facility that is going up at A&M, he hears things from time to time ;)

OU's hire will be interesting, as they are fixing to get nailed for recruiting violations out the wazzoo. I could see them going after someone like George Mason's coach or someone like that.

j-6
03-28-2006, 03:00 PM
www.markturgeonturneddownindiana.com
:lol

I'm on an email list with the same guy who bankrolled half of the new 14 million dollar basketball practice facility that is going up at A&M, he hears things from time to time ;)

OU's hire will be interesting, as they are fixing to get nailed for recruiting violations out the wazzoo. I could see them going after someone like George Mason's coach or someone like that.

I concur. Maybe now that Mizzou signed Mike Anderson the Sooners can go get Melvin Watkins.

alltexan
03-28-2006, 04:50 PM
Watkins.....are you serious.

He is trying like crazy to get the UTSA job and probably won't be successful in getting hired there.