PDA

View Full Version : TD celebrations might be curtailed

Horry For 3!
03-28-2006, 02:30 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nflmeetings&prov=ap&type=lgns

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Bad news might be on the horizon for Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson and the other purveyors of outrageous touchdown celebrations.

The NFL's competition committee is proposing a crackdown on rocking the baby, teeing off like Tiger and anything else that might be considered taunting.

This isn't particularly new. The league has smacked down celebrators who went over the top before. Remember T.O.'s dancing on the Dallas star in Texas Stadium? Or Johnson revealing a small sign asking not to be fined by commissioner Paul Tagliabue?

Or, of course, Joe Horn's hidden cell phone trick in New Orleans?

But committee chairmen Jeff Fisher, coach of the Tennessee Titans, and Rich McKay, general manger of the Atlanta Falcons, believe enforcement hasn't been strict enough recently.

"Individual celebration was getting out of hand," Fisher said Monday at the NFL meetings. "The players' association was unanimous in wanting to get this under control."

So spiking the ball in the end zone will be OK. And spinning it on the ground, or dunking it over the goalpost. Dancing in the end zone is fine, too, as long as it's not prolonged or a group effort.

Almost all other celebrations will be out if the committee's recommendation to clamp down further on the frivolities is passed by the owners.

The new emphasis on unsportsmanlike conduct penalties will call for a 15-yard mark-off on the ensuing kickoff against the offending team, and possible fines.

Players can't use props for any celebrations, and they can't be on the ground when they do their thing. Asked what happens if a player is tackled in the end zone and begins celebrating while down, Fisher said it would be a penalty.

"Get up and dance," he said, prompting laughter at a news conference.

"If they go to the ground to score and feel compelled to do something, get up!" McKay added.

"We've allowed those things to creep back. They are not necessary and should not be allowed."

The committee also will suggest:

-- Down by contact calls be subject to instant replay review, a proposal that was voted down last year. Currently, a play is dead once the whistle blows and the ballcarrier is ruled down by the officials. McKay said that last season there were 18 to 20 plays when the ball came out of a player's grasp before he was ruled down.

The proposed change would allow any turnover to stand if replay showed the ball came loose before the whistle. No subsequent runbacks with the ball would count, however.

-- Modifying illegal procedure to allow receivers to flinch if they get back into position before the play and the defense doesn't react to the move.

-- Toughening enforcement on pass rushers who hit quarterbacks below the knees, as long as the defensive players could have avoided making the hit. One play that didn't prompt such a point of emphasis, McKay said, was in last year's playoffs on Cincinnati's Carson Palmer by Kimo von Oelhoffen, then with Pittsburgh, that severely injured Palmer's knee. McKay said it was clear von Oelhoffen didn't make any intentional move to hit Palmer, but simply rolled into the quarterback.

-- Just like quarterbacks, one defensive player might be allowed direct communication with the coaches next season. The committee will recommend that a defense has the same option as an offense in that area. As of now, quarterbacks get instructions through a small speaker in the helmet until there are 15 seconds remaining on the play clock.

"We hope to get away from offenses -- I don't want to say stealing, so borrowing -- signals from the sideline (for defenses)," McKay said.

Also this week, Tagliabue plans to begin the process of selecting his successor, although he wasn't certain Monday when a committee will be established to begin the search.

Nor did the owners seem in a hurry.

"It's not a race for speed, it's a race for success," said Jeffrey Lurie, the owner of the Philadelphia Eagles. "This is the CEO of a 32-team operation, so it's not the speed, it's the quality."

Horry For 3!
03-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Some of the better celebrations won't happen now :depressed

ALVAREZ6
03-28-2006, 04:14 PM
10 bucks says TO will continue his celebrations anyway.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-28-2006, 07:46 PM
This is lame. Fuck the NFL.

sa_butta
03-28-2006, 08:22 PM
I dont understand why you cant celebrate. Its one thing to celebrate and another if you are taunting. Celebrations should be allowed.

Horry For 3!
03-28-2006, 10:03 PM
10 bucks says TO will continue his celebrations anyway.
It costs the team 15 yard penalty I believe. Parcells will be on his ass, he won't.

Chad Johnson said the NFL won't stop him from making entertainment but who knows.

Horry For 3!
03-28-2006, 10:04 PM
I dont understand why you cant celebrate. Its one thing to celebrate and another if you are taunting. Celebrations should be allowed.
They are, but you can't do any like taunting celebrations. How is doing the river dance or rowing the boat taunting?

So basically all they can do is spike the ball......lame

snowboarder
03-29-2006, 12:35 AM
celebrations make the game better

fuck the nfl

T-Pain
03-29-2006, 02:04 AM
whats funny is Ill bet you those same people cracking down on this had laughed at any of those celebrations mentioned. How can you not laugh at them? this is stupid.

Darrin
03-29-2006, 03:25 AM
Much ado about nothing. Who gives a damn!

Dunc
03-29-2006, 05:41 PM
This really is ridiculous. Waste of time to crackdown on end-zone celebration. How about retraining some referees instead? That would help the game a little more, I think.

Obstructed_View
03-29-2006, 05:56 PM
While I think the celebrations are becoming increasingly retarded, I'm pretty sure there are existing rules regarding pre-planned celebrations that would have allowed the officials to throw the flag before. I'm not sure why they need to mention it. I'm sure there is much hand-wringing at ESPN right about now.

boutons_
03-29-2006, 10:49 PM
March 29, 2006

Owners Crack Down on Excessive Celebrations
By REUTERS

Filed at 10:27 p.m. ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Excessive and elaborate on-field celebrations during NFL games could now cost teams dearly.

National Football League owners voted 29-3 to curtail end zone demonstrations following touchdowns on the final day of the league's owners meetings in Orlando Wednesday.

The new rules allow officials to penalize a team 15 yards on the ensuing kickoff for excessive celebrations anywhere on the field.

Simple celebrations will still be allowed after touchdowns, like spiking the ball, dunks, dances and other minor celebrations. But officials can now give penalties for any other celebrations they deem inappropriate.

The NFL clamped down on what it called ``excessive celebrations'' a few seasons ago, after celebrations like Joe Horn pulling out a cell phone after a TD and Terrell Owens signing a football with a sharpie made headlines.

EXCESSIVE CELEBRATIONS

But the excessive celebrations started to re-surface in 2005, leading to the new rules.

Chad Johnson of the Cincinnati Bengals gave CPR to a football after one touchdown. After another, he went down on one knee and proposed marriage to a cheerleader, and pulled out an end zone pylon and pretended to hit a golf shot with it after another.

Tampa Bay, Dallas and Philadelphia were the dissenting votes on the proposal, which will now see such shows penalized.

The owners also approved some 15 playing rules proposals by the competition committee, including allowing instant replay to be used on down by contact calls, something that the league's coaches had campaigned for.

The meetings also adjourned with no decision made on finding a successor to commissioner Paul Tagliabue, who announced his retirement last week.

* Copyright 2006 Reuters Ltd.

Horry For 3!
03-30-2006, 01:18 AM
It was passed. So now if a player celebrates after making a TD, there will be a 15 yard penalty on the kickoff.

T-Pain
03-30-2006, 01:23 AM
well it allows dances, so hopefully TO, CJ and those guys will come out with some good dances at least

ALVAREZ6
03-30-2006, 03:25 PM
This morning on SportsCenter, Chad Johnson was on the Budweiser Hot Seat regarding this new rule.

He said that if it goes through, him and his comittee (TO, Steve Smith) will obey it.

When asked if he would break out with a crazy celebration even if his team was up by 30 at home, Chad Johnson still said that he wouldn't...but I doubt that lol

rr2418
04-01-2006, 08:02 PM
I think true football fans don't care about celebrations. I know I don't!! Celebrations are becoming ridiculous, and it was a GREAT MOVE by the NFL to try and tone it down. The thing I'm dissappointed about is they didn't get rid of it completely. Football used to be a "man's" game, now the players look like a bunch of "sissies"! Oh, how I long for the days players scoring a td and spiking the ball.

I SAY DO AWAY WITH CELEBRATIONS COMPLETELY!!!

Horry For 3!
04-01-2006, 09:02 PM
I think true football fans don't care about celebrations. I know I don't!! Celebrations are becoming ridiculous, and it was a GREAT MOVE by the NFL to try and tone it down. The thing I'm dissappointed about is they didn't get rid of it completely. Football used to be a "man's" game, now the players look like a bunch of "sissies"! Oh, how I long for the days players scoring a td and spiking the ball.

I SAY DO AWAY WITH CELEBRATIONS COMPLETELY!!!
You do not like entertainment then. You are boring.

rr2418
04-01-2006, 10:17 PM

LOL! I guess you're right. I do like sports, and that's what we're discussing here. I know, I know, sports has become entertainment, but the actual game is what I'm interested in. If that's boring, well I guess that's me! :lol

Obstructed_View
04-04-2006, 09:35 AM
You find wiping a football with a fucking towel entertaining? Who exactly is the boring one here?